Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

funeral home DJ posted:

Can’t wait until one of those NFT repository sites gets owned via basic sql-injection and someone replaces all the links to that .gif of the dude doing a flip while taking a poo poo. The world may be burning but I’ll have a hearty laugh.

Yeah but since NFTs are just people scamming or laundering, would anyone even notice if their expensive purchase turns into a gif of a making GBS threads flip guy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Why bother waiting for an interviewer to google your twitter history? Just give it to them directly!

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

But what even is an NFT game and why would people be demanding it? A game that you pay for and download? A game where you pay for extra items and stuff? Perhaps I have a brain tumor or something but I feel like these things have existed for a very long time

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Counterfeit NFTs. Would that finally destroy them or would it somehow lend them more credibility?

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

I recently went to one of those tabletop game stores and it had a bitcoin ATM and it seemed funny to me. That’s my bitcoin story.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Hindsight 20/20 but dang I sure wish when we were still making fun of Bruce’s incompetent internet show and that kid with his private bitcoin army, I’d have sunk like 100 bucks into the things

I also wish I hadn’t sold my Amazon stocks when they hit 700 but hey that’s life

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Code Jockey posted:

Sorry, what's wrong with working at Walmart?

Not sure anyone whose worked at Walmart would be asking this question

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

What if war memorial wall, but a sociopath on the internet gets money and every time someone looks up a loved one a species goes extinct

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

small butter posted:

Literally everything written here could absolutely be done without an NFT.

The loving GORILLAZ have been doing it for decades. Are they purposely doing this with monkeys or are they just that loving clueless?

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

what does this even mean

“Shiny” NFTs. Only a 1 in 10 million chance! Such a good investment!

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Vashro posted:

non fraud related art purchases are for decoration and will never be resold. What do these idiots expect to decorate? their second life bachelor pad?

Twitter profile pics apparently?

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

A TV show about NFT? A TV show that requires an NFT to view? A TV show created using NFT?

What?

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Raygereio posted:

I've had a meeting salesman for a ERP system last friday who claimed their software was powered by the blockchain. This set a number of alarm bells, until I actually looked at what they're selling and realized they're using a normal, functional SQL db. :psyduck:
The salesdude seemed to think "blockchain" was just a synonym for "database" or something.

People need a database for ERP-ing? How I long for the days when people would just meet up in Diablo

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Rinkles posted:

Why are these so ugly?

Why bother with quality when you’re just doing a money laundering scam?

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

No matter how many times people try and explain it I just can’t understand how nft could possibly be “good for artists” in ways that non-nft solutions do also

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

But how can one tell the difference between real nft art and random emoticons?

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Yeah nobody approached because they didnt recognize the reference. It had nothing to do with them thinking you were a lunatic and approaching you would be annoying or possibly dangerous.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

ymgve posted:

Yeah but allowing NFTs as items in your game means all the trading is done outside your game and you can’t get a cut of the transaction price

Why would a game dev add a feature that complicates everything and gain nothing?

*executive in the publishing company bursts through the door*

“All the kids are talking about something called eneftii. Put it in the game, that’s an order”

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

syntaxfunction posted:

Can you take an address pointing to a blockchain entry and make *that* an NFT?

The blockchain itself as an NFT, on the blockchain.

Or what about NFTs that just point the the previous NFT?

Nobody knows and nobody will ever find out cuz it’s not like what it points at matters to anyone trading in them

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Key Arena became Climate Pledge arena. Staples Center became Crypto Center. First law of alchemy, equivalent exchange.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

If Crypto.com paid for, say, a 10 year naming deal but they go bankrupt in 2 years, can Staples Center get named something else or is it stuck as Crypto.com Center for 8 more years?

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

There Bias Two posted:

How does one even tell which one is the "real deal" if they're functionally identical?

Woah thats a whole lot of FUD Im seeing here

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

I guess it would be pretty funny if blockchain poo poo finally goes away before burning the planet but at the same time it causes a global economic collapse and nuclear war

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

But why, and what do you plan to do to offset the evil you have done?

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

I’m proud to announce that I’m taking my entire paycheck in Chuck E. Cheese tokens

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

jokes posted:

It’s so easy and efficient that’s why he uses that “come on” gesture and has no recourse if the beer misses his cup and also why he’s surprised and smiles when it works

Sounds like you’re scared of change, boomer

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

I remember like a decade ago, some bitcoin guy had this fantastic idea of backing bitcoins with TF2 keys. I can’t for the life of me remember what that actually entailed though. How would one back bitcoins with TF2 keys?

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

ultrafilter posted:

If you don't want to watch the whole cartoon (you don't), there's a twelve-second clip here. That's enough to tell that this is some amateur hour horseshit.

So is this show about how great NFTs are, or is it using those mascots just totally divorced from the cryptos?

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

repiv posted:

it's actually even dumber than that, they've made their own token specifically for the cartoon (distinct from BAYC) and holders are supposed to get a cut of revenue from the cartoon (lol)

https://theredapefamily.com/home

It’s amazing when you realize that up until the creation of NFTs in the past few years, there has never been a way for people to share in the profit of a product

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

I don’t get why for years people have been saying bitcoin is less traceable than cash. Less traceable than a credit card? Yeah totally I get that, but than cash? I’m no tech wiz but that doesn’t make any sense to me. Am I the idiot here or is it really as super secret as bitcoiners claim?

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

So will it be repulsive randomly generated catgirls, or just a bot just autogenerating hyperlinks to all images on Pixiv that contain the “catgirl” tag?

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

So it’s an art museum but exclusively for terrible procedurally generated apes? What even is the point anymore

Edit: also does this mean if I steal art off the walls I’m not actually stealing art since the real ownership is floating around in ~the blockchain?~

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Wow an energy efficient NFT? Know what’s even more energy efficient? Not doing that!

Alternately: finally, someone has figured out how to sell content for downloading into a video game. I know scientists have spent years trying to make this work and now it’s here!

Gutcruncher fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Dec 7, 2021

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

repiv posted:

but ubisoft insiders with undisclosed holdings in the blockchain they're using made a lot of money, so who can say if it's bad or not

I guess it will be pretty hilarious when it comes out that only Ubisoft employees bought any and they’re just selling them back and forth to inflate the price themselves. What I’m saying is Ubisoft Quartz is good.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Still lolling at Ubisoft using NFT but locking it down to the point it’s indistinguishable from the type of tradable and sellable in-game items TF2 and CSGO have had for years and years.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

One of the best parts of Second Life was companies trying to host serious things being assaulted by flying penises, and I’m thrilled to see this happen again but in VR

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

https://youtu.be/KxlPGPupdd8

Virtual court is the best court. Bring it on, Facebook!

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Zil posted:

This seems too oddly specific to not have actually been witnessed firsthand.

I mean just click a populated VR chat server

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Hey at least it’s SOME sort of use

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Mouzer posted:

https://www.pcgamer.com/ubisoft-de-lists-overwhelmingly-disliked-nft-announcement-video/

Lol. It's been two days and they are already walking back their NFT announcements.

Good.

That’s weird, it looked like 100% of everyone liked it though