Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

does australia have sub nukes currently or is this a new development?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

indigi posted:

why is that?

im reading this book: https://www.penguinrandomhouse.com/books/678752/the-spoils-of-war-by-andrew-cockburn/ that just came out. series of essays/articles from last 6 years or so that explains how public-private funding in the miltech sector has so thoroughly incentivized failure that it eventually began affecting military outcomes throughout the Cold War, getting exponentially worse after the End of History in the 90s. contracts go to a handful of highly influential (and heavily centralized over decades of acquisitions) private designers, these contractors make more money the longer the project lasts and the less efficient the eventual product is (bc then you just get a new contract to build a better product), and eventually you have to actually field these technological monstrosities bc we are in a hundred wars and they barely function and result in massive civilian casualties and self inflicted deaths of American troops.

I kinda knew the gist of this problem from osmosis but there's some pretty illuminating examples of how throughly rotten the entire process is, and every year it gets worse and every year there's bipartisan approval to spend even more on the military so the cycle continues unabated. another material casualty of our perpetually rising big beautiful Economy.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Gato posted:

thank you to whoever in this thread (at least I think it was this thread) mentioned The Spoils of War by Andrew Cockburn, a simultaneously hilarious and horrifying collection of essays about the insanity and incompetence of US military spending.

he draws a lot of comparisons to Soviet and later Russian defense spending but it'd be interesting to know what it's like in China - have they had any notably massive F-35 style boondoggles (that we know about)?

:cheers:

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Grapplejack posted:

“Xi does think he’s moving to a new kind of system that doesn’t exist anywhere in the world,” said Barry Naughton, a China economy expert at the University of California, San Diego. “I call it a government-steered economy.”

You can tell Barry has a PhD in econ

lol the commentariat are awesome to behold.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

can I mine Maocoin

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

lol

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

She's been under house arrest in Canada for almost 3 years.

house arrest for 2 years of covid and then being sent back to China. I would kill to be her rn

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I like the Grayzone articles on Xinjiang http://thegrayzone.com/tag/uighurs/

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Lostconfused posted:

How much longer can they keep up this media blitz? Putin's been ready to invade for two months now.

until the Olympics start and then they pivot back to antiChina material.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

this is one of the smarter invasion scares, since 5 years from now is long enough you don't have to prove anything (unlike Russian army divisions), and by the time 2027 rolls around everyone will have completely forgotten about it. Check please.

I've head of a 5 year plan but this is ridiculous

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

BRAKE FOR MOOSE posted:

disagree, Capital is a genuinely engaging and entertaining book, far more so than most western philosophy. the most challenging part is the opening chapters, and it's also a book that makes substantially more sense on the second read because so much is jammed into the opening chapters.

just couple it with a outside source, like Harvey's lectures/companion book

I could barely get through vol 2 and kinda dreading 3 but I can't stop now. Does it get better. Is part 2 the dark middle.chapter

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Homeless Friend posted:

xi laughing as he claims the amurian bog forest of splendor from the foolish slav

lol

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

healthcare please

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Oh lol this guy. Cool

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Waffle House posted:

It's peculiar how subjective that interpretation can be, isn't it? For example, while it could be over-simplified that Hong Kong was within China's geographic territory, I am not so sure it was truly justifiable how they "did" it; that population had grown so different over the years that autonomy may have been a better and more *economically* beneficial answer. As the lines of "Westernism" blur into history's dustbin, given the world's interconnected nature, Taiwan is just the same, IMO.

If local mujahideen started supporting the Uyghurs, with perhaps a superpower like Turkey for example assisting in proxy, where would you put your chips, so to speak?

Hey! Can I thank you again for being there during my episode for the bizarre private messages? Having an initial person to talk to with experience actually proved to be very, very good for my recovery, and I did think of you often as things got better.
If you're still experiencing any difficulty, I have a couple of cognitive behavioral methods that I found, and personal advice you may be able to tailor to your own needs; everyone is different.

I'd put them all on Black since the odds are 50/50 aka centrist

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I can't believe the invasion really was imminent.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

R. Guyovich posted:

i fight for china

This!!!!!!

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Mr Hootington posted:

26% of Americans wanted this lol

is the us even going to do anything beyond sending more military equipment.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Lol

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

the china thread has a demographics problem

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

US UK and Aus could invite more people to AUKUS and add more letters.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

3 posted:

https://twitter.com/Reuters/status/1502036658979495940

you can praise the neonazis a little bit, as a treat

sick rear end headline lol. normal poo poo

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

"My anarchism is why is support intervention in Syria" is a good one

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Justin Trudeau

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Mayman10 posted:

All of that just in March?! There's been 528 hours since March 8th, you haven't watched youtube for 18 hours this month :dogstare:

That's not enough YouTube. They must become a sentient content pod.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I should move to china

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

really hope they get it under control, living through covid waves sucks rear end.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

stephenthinkpad posted:

When you want to tell a fantasy story, don't frame the setting in present day, comtemparary world, with reference to the real world. Frame it in an alternate world. Parasite and Handmaiden have the same problem too now that I think about it.

I saw a trailer of the Netflix Korean spy show the other day, I already know its bullshit because it's set in realistic world in China.

You know how Japan love to tell 95% of their stories in fantasy worlds? The Koreans are the opposite.

What's fantastical about parasite?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I actually think it's less than 4000.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

AnimeIsTrash posted:

The methodology at play here is excellent too. Academics ftw

Would love to see their Public Health metrics for east vs west.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Dudes rock.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Antonymous posted:

saying china makes better movies is like saying america makes better fried rice or something it's really a weird take. let america have pop music, jazz, and movies. we rule at those, we invented them. god bless us

we invented movies but the perfidious soviets perfected them. Then we profited off their theories like true patriots.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

the bitcoin of weed posted:

not doing better, are better. they don't really put any effort into translating and pushing this stuff internationally as far as i can tell, with a few notable exceptions, so it's really easy to miss. the Battle of Lake Changjin about a crew of goofy dudes doing brutal videogame takedowns of orc US marines in the korean war is a notable one, and Legend of Deification/investiture of the gods is a really good looking animated film that actually got a pretty good english dub somehow. not to mention all the crazy kung fu/wuxia movies hong kong has been putting out for decades but I don't know if those are an entirely different film ecosystem or what

i haven't seen lake changjin but you should check out chen kaige's first movies from the 80s, when Zhang yimou was his cinematographer...really beautiful boring rural movies about collectivism with barely any characters and lots of scenes of men doing labor or military drills while wiping swear off their brow or w/e. It's quite good poo poo.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

It can actually very easily be denied if material reality has no impact on your worldview

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Part-time nationalist? Like some days he's not feeling it

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

lollontee posted:

sri lanka is going to have a full blown revolution soon

it's pretty incredible, watching from afar. Rooting for the best for the sri Lankan people and the complete severing from imf and western influence

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

lobster shirt posted:

one thing you don't see anymore in the US is guys walking around without a shirt on when its hot out. a true sign of imperial decline. you used to see it!

I see this all the time.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

It's just a trick of perspective

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

indigi posted:

your friends legitimately believe that China is killing babies? the other two examples are obviously ongoing issues (if exaggeratedly phrased) but that one seems hosed

presumably in reference to one child policy era

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I put cinnamon on my cheerios