Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Zas posted:

if you like your dog, you can eat it - barrac obama

but can I grind it up and have sex with it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
such hard owns on this page, hail marx

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

drat, thanks for sharing

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Dreddout posted:

Cool right wing dudes

Erdogan

Duterte

Khamenei

Rob Ford

The Lion

fuckin finally, now that we're listing 40k primarchs i can actually contribute

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
being the best of the bad films still makes it bad

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Thanks. A very very good read

quote:

闯: You say that Xi isn’t a Bonapartist, and you’ve said before that you find the term “populism” misleading. There’s been a lot of discussion about the idea that the economic crisis has given rise to a global wave of “populist,” often xenophobic mass movements with ties to right-wing politicians such as Trump, Modi or Putin, and some observers put Xi in the same category. Do you think this idea is useful at all?

闯: I agree that these phenomena are responding to economic crisis, that much is clear. Many of these other politicians could be described as Bonapartist to some degree or another. Actually Trump is the least so. Like Xi, he wouldn’t dare to truly incite the masses of ordinary right-wing patriots to go out onto the streets and take collective action. I’m talking about a true mass movement. What we’re observing now is just performance art. Americans are especially good at political performance, putting on a show.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Typo posted:

Correct

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2xZEJvDlOlg

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Correct

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
drat I didn't know there was a comedy thread on this subforum

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Dick Peasley, Shau Tau Kok

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
question: is sucking dick legal in the ccp?

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
thanks guys

really helped me understand Typo's posting

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
after 100 pages I still don't understand who the nazis are

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

HorseLord posted:

the tiny communist sects in question think they're going to raise a red army when the inevitable economic depression hits it's peak

i mean it's a nice thought but there's no way in hell they wouldn't get murdered on their first day leafleting by a roving gang of brexitists when the papers blame "lefties"/muslims/remainers for the collapse

by that logic Czarist Russia was a leftist state, lol

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
is there a good summary somewhere of the Xinjiang / Uyghur situation? I get that there's tons of western propaganda going down and would like to understand it better

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Thanks for everyone who shared xinjiang resources. Been reading through a number of them today

lol, pretty much as expected

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Flavahbeast posted:

I hope it turns out to be the best vocational training camps ever, I really do hope that

well, if the CPC reports are to believed, they've eradicated poverty within ~20 years of the vocational re-education programs becoming a thing (it was something like >30% when the programs started)

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

hot witch divorcee posted:

western media doesn't understand hong kong elections or their relation to the mainland and cpc to this day 😔

can someone elaborate on the relation?

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
The part about effeminate males and gay romance seems bad

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
they were the best faction b/c in unpatched multiplayer you could send your starting tractors to smush the GLA workers

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
While we're on the topic, thanks for all the xinjiang resources from a few months ago. Took a while to get through, but it helped contextualize things.

Arguing over 'who does it worse' is besides the point, imo. To me the heart of it is a question about how society handles assimilation. Its clear the vocational programs are there to reeducate, as the entire point is to eradicate poverty, retrain, and assimilate a colossal amount of people. These programs have been running for over a decade, have been largely successful (sometimes indirectly supported by the west) and aren't unique to the Uyghur population.

How should societies handle mass assimilation? To what extent should a dominant society change the way smaller groups act or think? How should the actions of minority groups that go against societal interests be restricted or changed (reproductive rights, women's rights, rights to education, etc)? This is where the conversation is imo. Certainly it's good to be critical about how exactly China approaches them, but even in a world where it did things perfectly, there would still be debate as these questions are moral ones with as many answers as people.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
I'm sure there are more benign cases, but most of the interviews I read from Uighurs fell into a pattern of 'I was reported for thinking the TV was the devil, I now recognize this is wrong', 'I was reported for forcing my wife to not leave the house, I now recognize this is wrong', 'I was reported because I refused to let my children attend school, go to social events, or watch TV, I now recognize this was wrong' etc. At what point should a state do something in such situations (especially with respect to assimilation?)

In the United States there is a more hands-off approach. Loopholes exist through things like religious freedom or home schooling that can allow such things parallel to the mainstream society. Traditionally a state won't step in.

In my mind a state has the right to enforce things like reproductive rights, rights to education, child welfare, etc. When I think of two imperfect solutions to assimilation, one extreme that might send a person into a vocational re-education camp and the other extreme allowing polygamous sects with child brides, I would pick the former.

BULBASAUR has issued a correction as of 08:49 on Oct 9, 2021

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
god damnit lol

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Mirello posted:

lol at the logic "if im being watched they cant tell the truth "I'm being watched all the time" why even go on the trip dipshit? its amazing how much credulousness they give to "survivors" who change their story every month vs actual people on the street. they literally go to an imam school! even I didn't know china had those!

some poster once tried the same thing regarding the study that showed eastern european people preferred life under the USSR vs what they got in 90s and 00s

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Doctor Jeep posted:

"it's nostalgia, rose tinted glasses" and "they're old and stupid" is the usual spiel

lol yep, I said I was born in the USSR so they changed it to "too young to remember the horror" etc

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
if only we could culturally genocide the taliban

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
From what I remember, jobs in the USSR were easy to come by, but most didn't pay very well. Healthcare, utilities, education, and rent were free, so the money was mostly there for 'luxuries'. Compared to the villages my grandparents were born into this was a major step up, but the living standards were much lower than what most of you experienced in the west.

To 'get ahead' you could land a desirable job, like being a scientist, raking military officer, doctor, manager in an industry, etc. These people had better pay and higher pensions when they retired and competition was high. You had to be smart, go to a good school, or know somebody. Others started some sort of side business- selling vegetables from their garden, knitting and selling garments, fixing people's appliances, coding video games, etc. There was a huge mom and pop industry for drat near everything (I miss this part the most, it has been all but entirely stamped out by big business over the last decade). For those with unskilled labor, it was not uncommon to have several jobs. Those that were lazy or did the mental arithmetic of how little they would be paid vs the amount of time they had to do it would either live with relatives, claim disability, or find a job that let them slack off.

The big thing about all this is that Russia has always had an underground economy, even during Tsarist times. There was a high level of corruption everywhere as it was relatively easy to bribe your way into something. We even have a word for this in our language (blat, not be confused with blyat: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blat_(favors)). So say you wanted a nice job that paid a lot, if you had the connections you could pull strings to get you there in return for a favor. Or if you didn't know the person you might just bribe them with actual money. People who used favors to get somewhere were called "blatnoy" basically a word to denote they got there not through the system (the Russian language is very rich like this). There was always a shortage of desirable housing, datchas, consumer goods etc. So this was a big part of why you wanted that extra money. Instead of waiting 10 years to get a datcha you and your friends might pool money together and bribe somebody to get you one in a few years, closer to your city, oh and how convenient your friends also got plots of land there too...

I never really liked this and it always frustrated me because in penetrated the system on every level. Again, it existed even before the USSR, but here it found an easier system to weave into. One thing that's nice about the 'new' Russia is that this level of corruption doesn't exist anymore. There is the more familiar western networking, old boys clubs, donations, business deals etc.

BULBASAUR has issued a correction as of 22:27 on Oct 17, 2021

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
could I interest you in a non fungible nuke investment?

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

stephenthinkpad posted:

Saw this on the RLM thread

they hold hands at the end

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

30.5 Days posted:

Is this a scene from cowboy bebop?

the trailer did look like poo poo

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
so they're gonna bail out the real estate / real estate loan companies, huh? had hoped they'd let the fuckers drown

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Ardennes posted:

That said, I still think there is a naivety about life in the US (even today) in parts of the former Soviet Union (specifically in Russia) that I haven't experienced elsewhere. I have had "roads paved with gold" style conversations at multiple points.

(Also, enthusiasm for moving to the EU/US is often also motivated by economics. It is just a lot of people in Russia/the former Soviet Union don't quite know how things work in the West, especially the US. Once they find out...the story changes pretty dramatically.)

My family has only recently been coming to grips with how much living standards have degraded in the US since immigrating from the USSR around the time of the collapse.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Yeah, they're now old enough to become subject to the cacophony that is US healthcare. Understandably this will rattle you up.

We're also looking at 9+ month delays for the government processing various immigration documents. Last week we got an important letter, rushed from Sweden... 7 months late. I remember packages being lost to the nether when sent to Russia during the 90s, but it was usually just a few months :v:

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

hahaha

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

meanwhile in washington state, they have been widening the same 15 mile stretch of freeway for 30+ years

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Cao Ni Ma posted:

I know some /pol/ 4channers that say that in a discord. Every time I get in an argument with them on the subject you can almost start seeing the gears start to spin before they mentally lock themselves up and dont bring up the subject anymore.

https://www.cnbc.com/video/2021/12/06/nomura-says-the-worst-is-yet-to-come-for-chinas-property-market.html

Let no property investor/landlord come out unscathed

I thought they bailed them out earlier this year :(

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

DiscountDildos posted:

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLQoygnhlz2LjVEwAlrAU_v7uV9J7Ol6_2

Documentary series by a Hong Kong TV outlet about China poverty alleviation stuff. There's like 8 20 something minute episodes with English dub and subtitles. It's pretty good.

The cliff village in episode 1/2 is loving wild. I don't understand how that's real.

been really enjoying this, thanks

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
ah yes Westphalian principles

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2021/12/15/wuhan-lab-leak-now-likely-origin-covid-mps-told/