Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

fatelvis
Mar 21, 2010

This is somewhat of an aside - but whatever happened to the thing where there were claims every Uighur family had to have a Han Chinese man living in their house.

I am presuming this was complete nonsense - but its something I remember getting spread around a while back, then people just seemed to stop saying it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fatelvis
Mar 21, 2010

Zedhe Khoja posted:

They did have weirdo "Live with a member of another ethnicity" programs that would send Uighurs to Han households and Han to Uighur households. Program was dumb and poorly thought out and a bunch of awful abusive poo poo happened to they introduced safeguards esp regarding womens safety. Program is mostly still dumb and uncomfortable for alot of people. It was never so widespread that most households were doing it, which was always a literally insane claim.

Do you happen to have any decent sources where I can read about this. Both what actually happened and what is happening now?

fatelvis
Mar 21, 2010

Red and Black posted:

Man, the arguments made to defend that dude suck rear end. "There were windows in the classroom, therefore I could have never have molested somebody", meanwhile seven separate children testified against him

Is there any other evidence other than the children's testimony? Children are not exactly reliable.

fatelvis
Mar 21, 2010

thatfatkid posted:

Are you trying out for the new mod opening or what?

Also are you ignoring how he had to be told not to hug his students?

No I'm just lazy as gently caress and couldn't be bothered to read the whole article - because it seems to be mostly a bunch of whining without much substance.

But if there's more evidence - fine, gently caress that guy.

fatelvis
Mar 21, 2010

All this talk of fighters is kinda odd. Would most fighters (especially the f-22 given it's limited numbers) be relatively neutered by various types of AA/smacking their faces off other fighters within the first couple of days of a hot war?

It's also dumb because there won't be any hot war, it's all dumb clancy bullshit.

fatelvis
Mar 21, 2010

sexpig by night posted:

lynch mobs run through your city trying to murder Africans based on urban legends and literal just outright lies about them murdering and raping Chinese people

I've seen this mentioned a bunch of times - are there any sources on this? The only other mention of it I saw was someone saying something along the lines of "my teacher was there and said that's what was happening", which isn't exactly concrete evidence.

Actually - if anyone has any recommendations for reading regarding what happened with the buildup and during the Tiananmen square thing, I'd appreciate it.

fatelvis
Mar 21, 2010

I didn't know this, thanks.

fatelvis
Mar 21, 2010

Has Russia ever said they were planning to invade, or is this all extrapolation/guesswork based off of troop movements etc?

fatelvis
Mar 21, 2010

Ardennes posted:

According to that report, the vast majority of the areas being hit are in separatist territory which implies that government forces are the ones doing it unless the separatist are constantly firing artillery at themselves.

They might just have really bad aim.

fatelvis
Mar 21, 2010

fart simpson posted:

:siren:

good news everyone, i can give out this gang tag now

supposedly i can get like 10-15 of these approved, so if you want one quote this post and it’s first come first served and ill get as many in as i can

Probably too late - but I would like one.

fatelvis
Mar 21, 2010

Zedhe Khoja posted:

the mods are not ok folks

Where is this from?

fatelvis
Mar 21, 2010

In Training posted:

Is this guy saying bush did 9/11. Lol

More that america's batshit foreign policy/blowing people up for the last however many years caused 9/11.

edit: thats how i'd interpret it anyway

fatelvis
Mar 21, 2010

lollontee posted:

i personally know a tiananmen survivor who lost her husband while fleeing the firing. you can admit that the CCP is guilty of atrocities while remaining a communist, btw

She found him again later though, right?

fatelvis
Mar 21, 2010

Al-Saqr posted:

That feeling when sanctioned iran has a better train than america does

https://twitter.com/urorientalist/status/1633653200627593216?s=61&t=8W_23JcWsyyVBsM2w0Q2EQ

cool train, despite the cringe

fatelvis
Mar 21, 2010

Some Guy TT posted:

like if you really want to see uyghurs on social media search for high school students on tiktok and see for yourself what language theyre speaking or if their schools look like prisons

I have been reliably informed that tiktok is a CCP state propaganda tool - can't trust anything on there.

fatelvis
Mar 21, 2010

eSports Chaebol posted:

when I dated an Aussie the most disturbing thing was the casual way she described drawing eyes on her bicycle helmet so the magpies would try to peck those out instead of her actual eyes while she beat them off with a stick she had to carry with her when she rode

Did she start beating them with a stick before or after they started trying to blind her?

fatelvis
Mar 21, 2010

gradenko_2000 posted:

lol

2020: Huawei is beating Qualcomm

2023: Pinduoduo is beating Amazon

lol of loving course they're hitting them again on the security poo poo

From the sounds of it, that app was doing some incredibly dodgy stuff.

But from what I'm reading the version they find with all the malware was not on the Google play store, but on some other store.

fatelvis
Mar 21, 2010

Best Friends posted:

if the Chinese people just reached down, find their balls (figuratively OR literally) (#inclusion) and m*therf*cking protest, they can turn China into a liberal democracy. their long national nightmare of doubling standards of living every generation will finally end, spaghetti monster bless.

Am I misremembering, or was there not a study saying that Chinese workers are striking all the time, and people in general are protesting all the time - but just in a local way to sort out their local grievances?

fatelvis
Mar 21, 2010

ModernMajorGeneral posted:

this is a few years old but I saw it today and challenge any of you to find a more :discourse: at what cost

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/12/31/world/asia/china-poverty-xi-jinping.html

if you needed any more proof that westerners are demons in human form:

:hai:

drat, people support the political party that does stuff for them?

fatelvis
Mar 21, 2010

unwantedplatypus posted:

You can acknowledge the reality that there is a lot of prejudice against LGBT people in China without believing in the anti-communist narratives that the west tries to push through pinkwashing. I would consider someone who rejects material reality in the interest of preserving an idealized view of the world to be a rube.

This is basically exactly what I said w/r/t LGBT rights being associated with western infiltration, and states pushing back against those rights to assert resistance to western cultural hegemony. Why destroy the organizations when you can cut off their funding and Sinicize them?

This last bit just seems like it's not as easy as it seems.

Given the prevalence of western NGO's all over the place, has that been tried/worked before? Just anywhere, not necessarily China or anything related to LGBT issues.

fatelvis
Mar 21, 2010

gradenko_2000 posted:

https://twitter.com/PostLeftWatch/status/1755433293779206540?t=Lj5JxQJrNEWONAuq4BFcIA&s=19

I love this account because it's too polite to ever take a tone on the clip it's describing, as if the straight dope is ridiculous on its face

But like, the analogy is entirely correct

Haven't watched three clip, but this sounds like a fair description.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fatelvis
Mar 21, 2010

Is this like a standard thing for Vietnam, or is it just because of the severity?