Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

Honest Thief posted:

nordstream 2 is dead
lol shits going to be funny

https://twitter.com/GuyChazan/status/1496077887996366849

NS2 isn't online, right? So that means nothing will change right now in terms of gas prices for Germans. My other question though: I'm under the impression that Germans need Russian gas more than Russia needs to sell it to Germany. They currently are selling through Ukraine, correct? What's stopping the Russians of shutting of the valve to pressure Germany?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

smoobles posted:

Pressure them to do what?

To give in to NS2 and align towards neutrality instead of against their interests, effectively undermining NATO.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

vyelkin posted:

Theoretically, not much. Shutting off the gas also does major harm to Ukraine because of the way the pipeline works, in addition to the loss of transit revenue. Actually doing so, however, would be a major escalation in economic terms, since they never shut off the gas before (in the past they have reduced it to minimal contractual requirements, but that was interpreted as a blow against Ukraine, not against Europe, because they were still meeting the contractual exports to European consumers). Not bringing Nord Stream 2 online doesn't actually change the current gas status quo the same way Putin recognizing DNR/LNR and deploying peacekeepers doesn't actually change the current military status quo. Shutting off the gas supply to Europe would be a big change in the status quo.

On top of that, it probably isn't something that Russia wants, because it would be further evidence for those who say Russia is just an inherently malign actor that wants to dominate all of Europe, and it would push Europe into closer ties with the US which is offering to make up for any shortfalls in Russian gas supplies. Right now one of the things stopping Europe from going all-in on the US's anti-Russian strategy is their relatively close economic ties to Russia, including reliance on gas imports (as well as oligarch money laundering, etc.). If Russia starts loving with those ties from its end, it takes away Europe's incentive not to respond more harshly to Russian actions, and pushes them towards closer economic ties with the US instead.

Yeah, this makes sense. Thanks :)

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

fits my needs posted:

hasnt joe biden been saying from the start that he wasnt gonna commit us troops to defend ukraine, so like what did ukraine expect.

has anything changed cuz i just see stuff about more sanctions

Ukraines’s done and left to the wolf do so as it sees fit. that was always going to be the outcome.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

TenementFunster posted:

why would nato intervene in ukraine, a county that isn’t in nato?

to boost the economy, duh

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

good on them to mention it. putin wouldn't know that otherwise.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

Karl Barks posted:

Isn't he like the second richest man alive

the richest with records.

But I have seen Putin, a few years ago, branded as a possible richer man from the shadows.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

taiwan should join nato

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

indigi posted:

the continued adherence to covid zero makes me so optimistic for China’s future

didnt they recently relax their quarantine rules?

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

is this the onion? i can’t tell anymore

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

did chatgpt write this loving article?

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

the US is gonna end up building giant “prison complex” to “temporally house” the “hordes of illegal immigrants” and attempt to find them “work” as they wait indefinitely to be deported “back to where they came from”

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

ikanreed posted:

Lol China just announced it spent 1.2 trillion yuan in investment in water conservancy projects for 2023.

The Biden administration allocated 8.3 billion over ten years in 2022 and claimed it as a major win for us infrastructure.

yeah but how much is that per capita?

:smug: checkmate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

ikanreed posted:

I am also bad at language acquisition, but if you practice a little every day, even the wormiest brain will learn.

don’t use Duolingo though