Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

etalian posted:

The best propaganda song you'll ever hear:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OjNpRbNdR7E

only because where were you isn't propaganda

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

Honestly I know that it gets said a lot, but you really do need to read the five year plans before you start calling out plot holes. Things get cut between the five year plans and the reality release, but quite honestly I am very happy with how things have been adapted so far.

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

fart simpson posted:

it’s seemingly full of weirdos that have made hating china a core part of their personality

I really don't even get actively hating china in that way. Lets assume that everything Adrian Zenz says is true, even in that case what value is there in hyper-focusing on China, which we as citizens in the west have no ability to control, vs something like Israel, Saudi Arabia, or some other country committing serious human rights abuses while receiving unholy amounts of US aid. It's like the next level of "making up a guy to be mad at," but it's even better because this guy country actually exists. Like, what the gently caress are they even thinking when they criticize china for hours on end? Is it some kind of escapist fantasy, "Oh god, if I were there in the streets fighting for Freedom for Hong Kong with the rest of them," some kind of desire to be a part of some fight for justice against tyranny? Do they just want to be mad at China just because they like being mad, and being mad about injustice makes them feel like they are good people? Because I get that, but hell even I recognize that it's masturbatory unless I actively try and do something about it.

Like, imagine if Zenz wasn't just an unhinged evangelical who hates communism and who was just exaggerating everything that he's saying with the help of the US state department in order to push US interests abroad, even if everything that he was saying was 100% true, what could you even do about it compared to pushing for an end to military aid to Israel because of their active attempts to ethnically cleanse the West Bank, or pushing for an end to US backing of the dictatorship in SA. These are things that the west can actually do, we just aren't.

note that I'm not talking about natsec ghouls who are pushing anti-china sentiment vs how they aren't pushing anti-SA sentiment. I get them, they're just evil.

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

Zedhe Khoja posted:

Buttigieg is brushing up on his Mandarin as we speak.

Wasn't there talk about butt being ambassador to china during the transition?

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

Varinn posted:

yeah and the trump hands thing was funny for like 12 hours before it became extremely embarrassing

It was really funny when Rubio brought it up in a debate and Trump said actually I have a big dick

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

When you think about it, family courts splitting custody is basically solomon style

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

gradenko_2000 posted:

sorry, apparently it's actually 50 cent army. it's a reference to how people suspect that China has an army of internet posters to defend it online, and that they're paid 50 cents per post

I mean hell if they're paying I can actually start using twitter

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

genericnick posted:

Does the scythe have a little David star on it?

It has the Israeli flag on it

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

One of Tesla's employees steals their bits

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

Do it again but about the Greeks this time. "Oh, so all the gods just happen to live on that hill over there?"

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

don't you usually get held in contempt here in the US if you insult the judge? Or is that just if you are so unruly that they can't get you to behave?

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

Red and Black posted:

https://twitter.com/SamSacks/status/1397596677750525954

Russiagate was a bad thing because it escalated tensions with Russia, which is why we have to escalate tensions with China over this fully manufactured controversy

Also amazing to watch Krystal Ball declare that a lab leak is "probably what happened" based on weak circumstantial evidence

e: haha oh my god

https://twitter.com/NatashaBertrand/status/1397596921305391108

So, they have to be saying that China made the virus too, right? Otherwise it's a virus that existed out in the wild that they were studying in lab conditions, which then escaped, which means that it could have crossed the barrier at any point anyway and there would be no way of ever knowing? Like, I know that the whole point of this is to gin up sinophobia for political reasons, but if you think about what they are saying it only makes sense if you throw a bunch of assumptions that they refuse to add themselves because they are nonsense.

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

Plastic is a natural part of the ocean's ecosystem, I don't see what the problem is? it's like complaining that this part of the ocean is particularly wet, just stupid. and the chemicals are just chemicals, chemicals have always existed

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

Not So Fast posted:

https://twitter.com/BBCWorld/status/1400076676843909126?s=19

China definitely needs to improve its soft power status. Can't let Japan and Korea hog the limelight.

tbf, China has Li Ziqi, what more soft power do you need?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3KfvUCKxCts

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

had never seen his videos before but yeah he owns too

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

To be fair the closest thing that we have to that in the US afaik is either buffalo (no clue what happens when they get onto farmland, if that's a thing?) And polar bears, which get tranqued and moved away from the village. Or at least, that's what happened in the video that I saw, who knows how common that is

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

stephenthinkpad posted:

Don't play with your phone when you drive.

https://youtu.be/XVPJ2um8LW8

On the awful app if you hit the [bb] button at the top of the post you can embed YouTube videos. Important phone posting while driving info

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

or that one in, Libya I think? maybe Liberia? where they were meeting at a pizza hut with the codeword being PIZZA

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

John_A_Tallon posted:

I get it, you're mobile posting, you have to struggle against the limitations of your phone's interface, but could you please post something that indicates what these are and why anyone should care about what the content is before they click on a link to twitter?

Like, how hard is it to copy a line so that you can post:

Amnesty International has published a report accusing China of torturing Uyghur Muslims in internment camps.: https://mobile.twitter.com/dwnews/status/1403910747781009412
Or even edit a line so that you have Amnesty International has published a report accusing China of torturing Uyghur Muslims in internment camps. instead.

Two of these twitter links have associated longer articles that would be far more appropriate to link to than the twitter feed advertising them, too.

Their phone probably embeds the tweets, so they didn't think about it. My old one didn't but my current one does and it's heavenly

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

Lostconfused posted:

Google image search leads to a tumblr post

and searching the title leads to

https://www.africa-confidential.com/article-preview/id/10564/Riding_the_rails

Which is from "Published 1st April 2011"

I don't know how much has changed in ten years, but it's not surprising that it's not accurate anymore.

And that should answer your question.

Well, that and it was published on April fool's day???

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

so it looks like it gained popularity during WWI, presumably as a result of the invasions of Belgium or the Netherlands? Or as a result of the Russian revolution? Are those small bumps pre WWI from small bits of usage before that? I don't know how to use that bit of google, but it looks like there is some usage pre-1900 that is being hidden by the usage post WWII

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

gotta say I can't blame them considering what happened last time a group operating out of afghanistan attacked a foreign country

well, ignoring that the whole article is about Uyghur separatists being allowed in china, which happened after 9/11

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

lobster shirt posted:

did someone post this yet

lmao, so China not only takes Japan and Korea, but also big chunks of Mongolia, Laos, and Vietnam? What's the source for this?

TeenageArchipelago has issued a correction as of 19:05 on Jul 26, 2021

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

this guy can go gently caress himself Facebook is what's getting me stoked for my people being liberated by chairman xi

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

yeah, where the gently caress would they be hiding 30,000 people? That wouldn't exactly be a small piece of land that they would be living on. The most charitable take that I can think of is that it's like that Trump admin "5,000 troops to columbia" note that was "accidentally" shown to the cameras that was just bullshit to scare Venezuela, but in this case was just miscalculated bullshit to try and scare China? for some reason?

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

getting my news from BJreview.com

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

Conspiratiorist posted:

https://mobile.twitter.com/te3ej/status/1496670582125039619
Russian Strategic Aviation Nets suddenly became extremely active. Aircraft groupings passing messages to ground control. They've begun the air campaign.

they may have air superiority, and ground superiority, and sea superiority, and twitch superiority, and youtube dangerous stunts superiority, but the people of Ukraine have won the war for the hearts and minds of the people of Dayton, Ohio

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

lmao Russia really did invite the HOI4 players to run the war. paratroops into all the victory points to win instantly

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

spacemang_spliff posted:

CNN stressing that there are definitely no neonazis in Ukraine. No mention of Azov though

CNN taking the bold stance of backing the donetsk region's independence

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

wonder how many private keys are going to get destroyed by an errant missile or artillery shell. this is good for bitcoin!

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

SchrodingersCat posted:

The extent of US knowledge into the Russian military plans makes me wonder if there was some sort of handshake agreement on this or if Russia outright told the US "This is what, how, and when it's going to happen." And the US/NATO knew there was no legit tactical way to defend Ukraine, or for Ukraine to defend itself.

Because honestly, NATO really has no choice in this situation but to stay home and the sanctions are toothless.

Russia very well may have basically told them what the plan was, as an attempt to get Ukraine to concede without war. Though, now that I think about that a bit more, that seems like a really bad idea

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

isn't that a video from the recent gaza violence? I think that's the iron dome blowing up rockets

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

I really, really don't understand all of the people who are just happily driving next to or through all of these convoys. That just seems like a good way to make the civilian casualties number go up

e: I didn't really think that video through when I posted this but yeah, in this case it's in Russia, but in general with all of the other videos out there I'm still feeling that clout chasing is a disease

TeenageArchipelago has issued a correction as of 21:02 on Feb 25, 2022

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

HallelujahLee posted:

britain alone fails the whole corruption books

that's only for new members, old members are grandfathered in

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

Nothus posted:

Is the Ghost of Kyiv fake too :ohdear:

and if so, does that mean that the ghost of tsushima is fake as well?

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

is the spectre that's haunting europe fake too? asking for a friend

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

the real ghosts are the friends we lost along the way

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

Ghosted in Kyiv by Chuck Tingle is going to own

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

Hedenius posted:

When it comes to tofu this is 100% the case here in Sweden. When tofu was first introduced as a consumer product it was marketed as a healthy meat substitute with stuff like tofu hotdogs and poo poo. So it’s not surprising that Swedes initially saw tofu as a flavorless alternative to meat. It was reserved for the hippies of health nuts.

But slowly it turned into an actual ingredient (very much helped by a company started in 1998 by a Chinese family that produces most Swedish tofu today). Now can find pretty good tofu in any larger supermarket and in a surprising amount of smaller towns and shops.

And as an ignorant Swede I’m curious if you could walk into a grocery store in a US town of 10-20k residents and expect to find tofu.

I live in a town smaller than that and all of the chain grocery stores in town have tofu, stuff like that isn't hard to find or anything. There's not much variety, it's just blocks of firm or extra firm from a couple of different brands iirc, but still

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

stephenthinkpad posted:

Is Khan still the most successful athlete politician?

slave to my cravings posted:

Donald trump is a world class golfer

He also is a member of the WWE hall of fame