Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Karmine posted:

He wanted to see how the Bullet Club merch was selling. What I'm curious about is how (and I guess why) a Hot Topic manager is working the name Dave Meltzer into conversations with his staff.
I don't think he's worked into any of their retail merch but they're wrestling fans in general Meltzer would probably come up, and especially if they're Bullet Club/Young Bucks fans they've probably heard about the Meltzer Driver or seen the Bucks wearing tights plastered with Big Dave's face and etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Half of it was Dave mansplaining and I was ready to roll my eyes at him repeating "well if this isn't true, then the guys could definitely sue, although if it is true, that's a different story, you don't have grounds for a lawsuit if it's actually true" and then I remembered the caliber of some of the people who write in/tweet at Meltzer.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Not a podcast but in fact the most illustrious show on late night, he was good on Desus & Mero too.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

It's extremely uncomfortable to be in the torture r*ck, who wouldn't be bothered by it?

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

PaybackJack posted:

Still not worse than Stone Cold in my opinion, as at least this young man was convicted and served his sentence under the law.
Is the issue that Steve Austin didn't do jail time, because he turned himself into the police, pled no contest, did what he was sentenced to do, etc.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

coconono posted:

I figured EB would be glad he didn't have Pillman on the roster anymore since that dude lived his life turned to 11. Other than Louie Spicolli, to my knowledge(correct me, please), WCW never had an active roster member die.
RIck Rude and Bobby Duncum Jr. were both under contract if I recall when they died.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

I knew every single beat of the Max[w]ell House VHS tape bit before listening to it and it was still incredible.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

illcendiary posted:

I believe that he believes that he misspoke and said something dumb. I don’t truly believe he actually understands what part of what he said is inappropriate. I also think it’s lovely that he can’t help but drop in the whole “a lot of people don’t think I should be doing this!” thing that is basically a wink and nod to his listenership that their feelings, if they run counter to Peyton Royce’s, are still valid.
I'm not asking this to be a dick, but what did he say that was inappropriate and why?

He seemed genuinely upset and regretful that what he said was (understandably) interpreted as "she should lose weight" which I believe was not his intent at all, and he owned the fact that he said what he said, regardless of intent, and apologized for it. What part do you think he doesn't understand?

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

rovert posted:

I kinda hope it is a joke. Flop concept and Conrad doesn't need another podcast. ECW Nostalgia has truly evaporated the last 5 years or so.
If they do a multiple episode investigation as to how Chilly Willy managed to be a resident of every single town they booked, I will listen. That always seemed suspicious to me, what was Chilly Willy hiding?

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Say what you will about Shave Seltzer and Bryan Alvarez but the Bischoff/Russo/Pritchard axis of criticizing them as "these jocksniffers desperately trying to seem relevant and pretending they have connections" is especially rich coming from people whose business model is relitigating storylines from twenty years ago and hoping they can get someone who worked for them back then to come onto their podcast.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Jon Jones's latest defense was "I cannot explain why I tested positive for steroids right before a fight, but come on. I have tested positive for drugs repeatedly, how dumb would I have to be to take drugs right before a fight? I'm obviously innocent, based on my past guilt!"

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Good Listener posted:

It's probably dumb of me but man I didn't like Lance's take on how you can't say WWE is bad for going through with the Saudi Arabia deal at the moment. Yes I can Lance, I can say it super easy.
It was weird because it felt like he was about two minutes away from going "all corporations are evil and care only for money" but instead just sort of went "so yeah uh lots of corporations and governments do bad stuff, but what are you gonna do about it?"

Or am I mixing him up with some other sort of shruggy "what are you gonna do?" response to Crown Jewel?

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Lone Goat posted:

what's this ring boy thing Dave was talking about that was more gross than crown jewel?
Terry Garvin worked backstage for WWE from 1985-1992 and apparently sexually harassed and/or molested a bunch of young and/or underage "ring boys".

Here's a rundown with a lot of links.

Unmentioned in this article is the running gag in WWF commentary about how various jobbers were referred to as "graduates of the Terry Garvin school of self-defense" by Monsoon and McMahon.

Oh right, Mel Phillips was also around doing creepy poo poo simultaneously. And Pat Patterson was implicated, or at least accused of turning a blind eye to a lot of stuff, though I think Meltzer and others always defend Patterson as getting wrapped up in the rumors because he was gay more than any smoking gun that he was directly involved.

Edge & Christian fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Nov 1, 2018

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Was there some sort of sea change in voters/subscribers circa 2010-11 or so? I know that was roughly when New Japan started making their big comeback, but regardless it's noteworthy that they've more or less shut out WWE/North American wrestling in:

Best Wrestler (2011-2017)
Most Outstanding Wrestler (2012-2017)
Match of the Year (2012-2017)
Best Major Wrestling Show (2012-2017)

The obvious argument here is "well they were the best", and I generally agree, but I guess I don't know enough about Japanese wrestling to know if they were *way* better in 2012-2017 than they were (say) 2006-2011, because WWE won a ton of major awards in that five year period and I'm not convinced that the Best of the Best of that era of WWE was any better than their Best of the Best of 2012-2017.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

MassRafTer posted:

Puro went through a huge decline from 2006 to NJPW's comeback. Kobashi got cancer, Misawa died, NJPW was slowly rebuilding and Dragon Gate wasn't quite popular enough.
So you'd say it's less changing voter demographics/"bias for North American wrestling" and more "there just wasn't anything to get excited about outside of the US" for those years?

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Jerusalem posted:

Didn't WWE actually take away the "Why are you canceling?" box when that whole debacle was going on?
I had to look up when I canceled (apparently after July 3rd but before August 3rd) and I cited bringing back Hulk Hogan and the first Saudi show as my reasons, though I guess that was a few months before the debacle really kicked into high gear. I don't think I would have been considered part of Dave's calculations, though.

They also haven't sent me any e-mails to renew my subscription (with free months or otherwise) in over six months now, apparently.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

I always assumed it stood for Hot Scoops.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Vince "won" segments against Austin quite a bit, but it was always "Vince has a dozen cops drag Austin out of the building" or "Vince tricks Austin into getting jumped by Undertaker and Kane/the Corporation" and then after Austin has been brutalized Vince spits in his face or whatever. He also 'won' by putting roadblocks up against Austin's goals (either winning the title or killing Vince) but the key was that Vince always "won" in very clearly unfair ways and that when the odds were even he was a cartoon of a nervous chickenshit who at least once literally pissed his pants in fear.

Stephanie (and to a large degree Hunter) bypass that whole "if this obstacle wasn't in the way I would be dead right now" chickenshit part, though they've honestly been better about that with Becky (and last year with Ronda) than they are in 99% of their modern era feuds. The idea of getting HEAT on babyfaces is good and works, it's just that WWE has done such a terrible job with HEAT for so long people have become allergic to the concept rather than just WWE's lovely deployment of it.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

rovert posted:

There's no gimmick. Everyone is open to criticism.
"If Meltzer is a journalist, why isn't he reporting on this inside information he should have?"
"What's the story?"
"I'm sorry, as a journalist I cannot divulge this information."

sure feels like something even if it is not a "gimmick"

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

I wish I had known that poster existed when I put together this bar trivia visual question earlier in the week

This would make a great wrestling stable by the way. Especially if they had a lion saber-toothed tiger mascot.

Edge & Christian fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Feb 24, 2019

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

As someone who at best half-watches most Raws/Smackdowns and then spends the week reading people on here/elsewhere discussing them (and listening to a lot of the Dave/Bryan/etc. podcasts) is there something specific where they both really got something wrong?

I know Bryan will obsessively focus on something and seemingly deliberately misinterpret it for the sake of ranting about HEAT or CANON or whatever his gimmick of the moment is, but there's a difference between harping on a continuity point from three weeks ago and wondering why they dropped it long after they dropped it and "getting things wrong" in my head.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Yeah, I thought that Dave even corrected Bryan about the order of events but:

Big Heel Tag Team Gets Title Shot Against Underdog Face Tag Team
#2 Underdog Beats #1 Big Heel clean
We Are Expected to Care About The Title Match In a Week

is just as dumb as

#2 Underdog Beats #1 Big Heel clean
Big Heel Tag Team Gets Title Shot Against Underdog Face Tag Team
We Are Expected to Care About The Title Match In a Week

Also all of the machinations of McMahons Interfering In The Wrestlemania Card make my brain hurt, as did your description of it and how that may or may not have been accurate to how it was presented or was meant to come off and I'm really not sure what your point is still, are there some real journalistic recappers who have made Stephanie's character a coherent and reasonable thing in the past months?

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Gaz-L posted:

Pfft, as if that's a choice. Can I make cupcakes with a BIKE? I didn't think so!
You're not trying hard enough. A bar I used to go to had blenders attached to stationary bicycles so you could mix your own margarita. I don't see why you couldn't apply the same principles to cupcakes.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Hypothetically they WERE introducing someone like Sandman to a new audience. It's also Sandman in 2006, I certainly didn't want to see him in long matches. For better or worse, the plan always seemed to be using most of the older ECW guys as stepping stones for The New Breed or whatever, so Sandman's arc of

--Beat up a Zombie, Fat Stripper, a Censor, Nacho Libre, whatever to establish him as the Classic Singapore Cane and Beer Loving Bad Boy
--Get beaten up by debuting evil heel Mike Knox
--Team up with the other ECW Originals to fight the evil heels, generally to put the new guys over

is really really low on the "Things WWE has hosed up with brand extensions" list.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

To be fair it's probably their worst album

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Suplex Liberace posted:

Calling anything a gimmick.
I love when an old wrestler (or the Talkin' Shop people when really drunk) approach Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo levels of using gimmick.

"So his whole gimmick was to sell gimmicked gimmicks at the gimmick table, but he'd taken some gimmicks backstage so he pulled out his shoot gimmick when he was supposed to have gimmicked it to be a gimmick gimmick."

Also when Bryan (or anyone) talks about sports using wrestling lingo, there was some huge heat on the ref in the third quarter when the Warriors were down but the crowd popped huge when the Cavaliers put them over.

Or Bryan's belief that all public speeches are 'promos'.

Edge & Christian fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Apr 21, 2019

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Lone Goat posted:

they are though
I get it when he's talking about a political stump speech or something but Bryan uses it like "so there was a car accident and they had this local woman on the news who cut a promo about how the guy plowed his car into a telephone pole." or "So the guy behind the counter cuts a promo about how they stop serving breakfast at 11am"

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Suplex Liberace posted:

Can't believe Bryan just casualy dropped that hes a high school drop out.
Came to the thread to ask if this has been brought up before as I am a relatively new (2014-2015?) B&V listener outside of GOLD BOAT and similar YouTube promos.

I feel like it's a deep vein of F4W/WON lore that was introduced out of nowhere. What's next, Vinny has a twin brother?

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Lone Goat posted:

Alvarez has a psycho ex-girlfriend that they only ever referred to as HER but she doesn't come up anymore since he's gotten married.
I've heard them mention HER, I was more surprised by Big Dave intimating he also had a She Who Shall Not Be Named that was hanging with him and the Horsemen in the early 1990s.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Starrcast II Bring us the Many Loves of Davey Meltzer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZGi9OZrhx94

Bonus if the opening is just five minutes of Bryan Alvarez calling everyone geeks for thinking you could trick him into thinking Gilligan is a beatnik, this doesn't make sense in canon

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Weird, I would have assumed that the vector of that RT was from Natasia to Big Dave (B) to Big Dave (M) but I guess that's just a spooky vampire coincidence!

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

I didn't listen to all of Austin's podcasts but probably the most emblematic thing I can remember about its tone is that early on he had a couple of other guys in studio to bounce off of and there was some bit he was doing about going into a drug store to buy body wash or deodorant or something and the peanut gallery kept trying to turn it into a gay panic joke and Austin's whole thing is "I haven't gone shopping for myself in forever and there's like a million different options now and as a tough manly man I gotta say that lemon verbena is a delightful scent!"

I can't remember if it was before or after that bit where he was talking about going with his wife to get a mani-pedi and facial and how he couldn't get over how nice his hands looked afterwards, then talked about how much gunk/whiteheads they got out of his face as "at least an eightball's wort--- I mean, it must have been three or four grams worth of gunk"

Anyway for all of the macho stuff he is very much willing to make fun of himself, he's got reasonably sane positions on climate change and gun control, he was vocally in support of gay marriage on his podcast, and did a whole interview with X-Pac about how valuable therapy is and how there's no shame in crying it out sometimes and how brave Waltman was to come forward with his story about being sexually abused.

Hopefully it's that version of Austin that comes through on the talk show. I also think that out of all of the wrestlers with podcasts he feels like one of the few that takes the whole "interviewing people" thing seriously, doesn't try to talk about himself, does research, tries to ask open ended (and follow up!) questions, etc.

Edge & Christian fucked around with this message at 23:04 on May 23, 2019

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

A lot of people when talking about wrestlers (Meltzer does it too) don't seem to differentiate between someone being untrained and someone being green, and "green" is an incredibly vague term that covers the gamut of like a football player three weeks into the power plant to like... Velveteen Dream or Heavy Machinery or Adam Page in early 2018.

So if the only two options are "veteran" or "green", there's going to be a lot of weird poo poo said.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

I was fully warned by this thread that Granny talking about Paisley's sister was going to be topped by the Undertaker's aliases and I still made an rear end of myself on the subway snort-laughing.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

October 1945 - Dusty Rhodes is born
August 1953 - Hulk Hogan is born

1967 - Dusty Rhodes has his first match in Boston (Hogan is 14)
1970 - Dusty starts wrestling in Florida, where Hogan might have seen him (Hogan is 17)
1974 - Dusty Rhodes turns face, which is the version of Dusty that Hogan always speaks of as a huge inspiration (Hogan is 21)
1976 - Superstar Billy Graham debuts in Florida (Hogan is 23)

For some reason this is my favorite lie that Hogan constantly tells, and has been telling since the 1990s, in what I assume is a deliberate attempt to sound younger than he actually is. He's elaborated as time passes, but Hogan is only eight years younger than Dusty, and five years younger than Flair, but he always goes on about how much he liked them "growing up". As he elaborates in books and interviews about a meek little kid sneaking around the Armory in Tampa, realizing that maybe wrestling isn't real, begging his parents to let him watch CWF on TV, etc. it's actually kind of great to imagine all of this except the Hulkster is actually in his early 20s and looks like this

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

I think it can be tough to thread the needle of not having one overshadow the other but having two marquee tag matches at Full Gear like:

Young Bucks vs. Ortiz & Santana

Newly Crowned Champions vs. Challenger

Hypothetically gives you four teams to spotlight/shine up as opposed to just two

Same with something like Omega vs. Moxley, it's not like there needs to be a title (or honestly even "title match implications") at play to make it a big match.

I think Dave/wrestling fans in general have sort of forgotten that a happy medium exists between Terrible VinceBrain Booking and NJPW Gedo booking, there are long stretches of successful and good wrestling shows outside of modern WWE where you can have matches/feuds that are As Big As The Title/Main Event Worthy that aren't solely for the title without careening out into "world title booked fifth from the top, John Cena vs. Evil Authority Figure in Main Event" bullshit.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

I know that this conversation was banned from the WWE thread, but am I missing something in the equation of

1) Dave Meltzer says based on his sources that there was a meeting at the Raw taping on Monday and that Seth Rollins gave a speech at said meeting.
2) Someone on Reddit posts that there was a meeting at the Raw taping on Monday and that Seth Rollins gave a speech at said meeting.

Apparently Seth Rollins did not give a speech at the meeting. Dave Meltzer has retracted this story.

What on this timeline suggests/proves that Dave Meltzer copy-pasted this story from Reddit? Are there timestamps? Similar wording?

My dad texted me yesterday to lament that it looked like Matt Bevin was going to win the KY governor race, several news outlets said the same thing early on. Turns out he did not win the election. Should CBS News apologize for stealing this [false] scoop from my dad?

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Alvarez said several people confirmed the speech happened so who loving knows
So what you're saying is that maybe everyone in the wrestling business (both working for WWE and also reporting on wrestling) might not have any sources and they're ALL just copy-pasting random Reddit threads? How deep does this go? Was there even an episode of Raw on Monday?

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

MJeff posted:

When you think you're untouchable but you're super duper not untouchable.
Jericho has once again failed Basic Thugonomics

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

STAC Goat posted:

Its a weird idea because AEW wrestlers DO work indies and international shows and their roster is still in flux. Like, we don't even know if wrestlers like Mercedes Martinez, Shanna, and Kris Statlander are a regular part of it or not.
The roster flux thing is true, but in terms of the folks who are generally pointed to as "green", they really aren't doing much outside work:

Non-AEW matches since Double or Nothing
Britt Baker: 2 between Double or Nothing and All Out, one match prior to Dynamite's debut, zero since
Nyla Rose: 1 between DoN/AO, 1 prior to Dynamite, zero since
Private Party: 2 between AO/DoN, 1 since Dynamite debuted

Like a lot of things I'm willing to give them some leeway as they're figuring stuff out and maybe some combination of house shows/co-promoted shows/indie booking windows are being developed right now. They're also in a tough situation in that their only option for grooming talent right now is "sign to exclusive deal so WWE doesn't scoop them up and put them in a warehouse". It's not like they can bring in Private Party or Jungle Boy or Marko Stunt for a couple of spotlight matches and then send them out to polish themselves up, there's no way they'd ever get them back in the current environment.