Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Just for shits and giggles, I put the Dark Sky complication in the upper corner, and along the bottom. Both of them are telling me different temperatures. What the hell? Also, why does it take 10 seconds to get my forecast when I tap on the complication? If background refresh is on (which it is for complications), shouldn't it have the temp already?

Because the Dark Sky watchOS app is hot garbage?

Seriously - use Carrot Weather. You’ll be way happier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

It looks like carrot uses the dark sky data. And also on top of the $5 for the app, you have to buy “premium” for the watch alerts. Ehhhhh.

Don’t get me wrong - I get what you’re saying.

That said - these people aren’t writing software out of the kindness of their hearts. I’m happy to pay a nominal price for poo poo that works.

If you don’t want to pay for something - the default weather app is also nice.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

badjohny posted:

Whats the best weather app with a working watch complication?

I love dark sky but the thing never updates on the watch. I have looked at carrot and beweather free (but that does not include the watch app).

Carrot Weather is good though there’s a small subscription cost per year for the better watchOS features.

Also - default weather app is pretty good if you’re unwilling to shell out for a subscription.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

nervana posted:

I got the Watch and while it's nice I am having trouble justifying the price. I am thinking about returning it. What do you guys really like about having a Watch?

I like the fitness tracking features a lot. I actually didn’t even consider those functions initially - I bought it for more of the notification and phone integration poo poo. I also like that it unlocks my computer though I sometimes feel a little :tinfoil: paranoid about that.

As I’ve told friends/family, the Apple Watch is definitely not a must buy but it has a lot of neat integrations. I bought mine on sale and am happy with it. I’d probably get another.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Zwille posted:

I had a similar issue where the phone would keep buzzing even though I was looking at it and wearing the watch. I think I solved it by unpairing and re-pairing the watch, which generally fixes most problems (lovely battery life after an update and others, too).

Unpair/re-pair is the “have you tried rebooting the machine” in TYOOL 2018.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Zwille posted:

Yeah that bit is annoying. Also nobody do that unless you got a way to charge your watch because on my old S0 it’ll nearly kill a full battery.

I thought it made you charge it when you want to do the pairing process? Or is that only for OS updates.

Like I thought it wouldn’t start pairing unless it was in the charger.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

cowofwar posted:

I got the watch for monitoring my blood sugar via cgms complication but I’m actually enjoying it for everything else. Nice to not take out your phone to check on whatever notification you received. I seem to notice the watch vibration a lot more than my phone as well.

I track my runs with strava on my phone, does the strava watch app murder the battery?

I don’t run (because it is proof Satan exists and wants to punish us) but I use Strava for biking. I regularly take my S2 out for 5-6 hour rides and come back with about 45% battery left.

For me at least, 45% is plenty to the end the day on.

Huh? You can barely run a 4-hour marathon with the watch using GPS on the S3 LTE.

I remember you ranting about this earlier - that’s crazy. Wonder if tracking Bike vs tracking Run just has significant battery perf differences?

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

MarcusSA posted:

Maybe wear your watch tighter? Mine does the same thing for whatever reason which is why I switched to a Polar Strap.

But not too tight... because then you're restricting blood flow and it distorts the HR reading. It should be snug but you should be able to slip your pinky finger under the strap and then it should feel completely tight.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Apple never said, but this is a reasonable guess. Especially since the passive HR monitoring only uses the infrared sensors and not the green LEDs. I’m pretty sure that’s the case at least.

Looked it up and they made that change real early. 1.0.1 in fact.

Also battery life. Probably would be costly for it to start and stop that subsystem over and over every time you spike your heart rate a little.

Given apple’s obsession battery life, that’s probably a likely reason.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Got my S4. Definitely big jump - everything loads so fast now.

Also digging the flatter and larger screen.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Violator posted:

What’d you have before? Can’t remember if you mentioned it.

S2. I never had any real complaints about it. In fact it was snappier after watchOS 5. I didn’t realize how much faster the S4 would be.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Boris Galerkin posted:

I'm using the Infographic Modular watch face cause the regular Modular one is the one I liked the most before. I'm not 100% sure I like it on the 44 mm watch cause it kinda looks like there's too much screen space being wasted. The preview picture looks much tighter/compact than what it actually looks like on the watch.

Agreed - I can't decide if I like the modular. I ended up with the analog-style Infograph but that one almost has too much going on.

Boris Galerkin posted:

I'm using the Siri watch face for the first time now that it's actually usable and it's pretty neat. Is there a way to order/prioritize which apps are more important? There's just the option to let me choose what data sources are available but it doesn't let me order them. Also, where do I go to turn off the "upcoming basketball games" thing? It's telling me there's a Trail Blazers vs Raptors game coming up on the 30th! That would be great if 1) I watched basketball and 2) if I lived in the US because it's telling me the game is at 1am so thanks? I have zero basketball apps and I've probably never asked Siri about basketball ever.

There's a way you can tell it to not tell you about sports games in the settings for Siri face. You can't order or prioritize them - I believe apps report temporal metadata to the face and that helps it sort them out. Things like weather show up at beginning and end of day, breathe is sorta mixed in throughout the day, and then things like Activity show up more in the afternoon if you haven't moved as much as it wants.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Oh. Also sport loop master race. Finally got one with my S4. Holy balls it’s comfy.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Boris Galerkin posted:

:words:

Quick question: how do I prepare my old watch for the giveback program? I just go to the Watch app and unpair it and that's it?

Ya - according to some page I found on apple.com, unpairing it should remove the activation lock and so on. If you wanna super double make sure, go to iCloud.apple.com and look at your devices. If it's still listed on there, remove it.

Here's an apple support page article about it: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT205009

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

LODGE NORTH posted:

Has anyone ordered one of these through AT&T and had it ship early? I’m about to call it a day and order one, but the estimated arrival is a literal month and a week from now.

FWIW I used iStockNow and it was pretty slick. Mostly helps if you have an apple store nearby.

No experience with att though.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Small White Dragon posted:

So what's the consensus on LTE in the watch these days? The initial reviews when the S3 launched weren't so hot, but I'm wondering if that's changed.

Also, any S2->S4 upgraders here?

I seem to have recurring issues (both on my earlier S0 and now S2 watch) where the weather won't update for a while when I drive/fly to another city.

I went from S2->S4 but I don’t use the builtin weather app. I use Carrot.

I did notice that the weather app on the S4 does have problems on occasion. For example, I was using the Air Quality complication and it would be blank every other time I would check.

I just opted not to use it - I really only care about what Carrot tells me anyway.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

For about 2-3 months I’ve noticed the stock temperature complication won’t update consistently either (often shows — until I change faces) if I have the default location set to “current location”. If I set it to a city, it seems to work fine. (And yeah, I have location services for weather set to “always”).

Weird. I definitely was in places that I could get GPS signal... well whatever. I don't use it anyway :shrug:

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Ultimate Mango posted:

Any tips on troubleshooting occasional rapid battery drain? I have it happen once but Mrs Mango has her watch go to <10% by the afternoon (doing nothing out of the ordinary, not even a workout) at least once a month. Rebooting it helps sometimes but it’s really random and frustrating.

SeANMcBAY posted:

How old is her watch?

Also - what series? Which watchOS? What’s her charging ritual?

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Ultimate Mango posted:

Series 3 with cellular. Hasn’t upgraded to OS5 yet. Charges every or every other night, she usually gets two days with room to spare. She mostly uses it for notifications so it doesn’t get heavy use.

SeANMcBAY posted:

Maybe try upgrading to 5 and see how it goes.

Agreed about upgrading to 5. Similar to iOS 12, it’s more of a fit and finish release so it seems to speed stuff up when I was using it on my S2.

If that doesn’t work, a full unpair can often help.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

CaptainCrunch posted:

Ever since I paired my S3 to my new XS max, the notifications have been... spotty. A good chunk of the time theres no haptic buzz, and the ding is barely perceptible. About half of the notifications never sound at all on the watch, and the phone is silent as well since it's relying on the watch to signal for me. I have the prominent haptics turned on, and the extra buzz fires about 10% of the time.

Everything worked as expected before the shift to the new phone.

Anyone else experiencing similar? Genius time?

Before genius time, unpair and re-pair time.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Pants Donkey posted:

Aluminum got the sweater too.

The box was great this time around, although it bugs me that the band was given its own box.

I think that the band box was separate mainly to facilitate swaps. When I picked up my S4, the person ahead of me was swapping the default black sport loop to a bright pink/orange one.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Endless Mike posted:

Stopped into an Apple Store yesterday and looked at the new stuff. I'm a bit sad my S2 works fine, so I have no desire to upgrade. Maybe they'll stop supporting it next year and I can get an S5.

That was my thinking to except I realized I could trade my S2 in for some money.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

BoyBlunder posted:

I don't know - I've never done a warranty claim for any Apple products before and didn't know if it was a difficult process I should go through for a 2+ yr old product.

I guess I'll give it a shot then. The "turn to wake" feature has been wonky as hell too, so maybe there's some hardware thing happening :shrug:

Alternatively - do Apple Giveback and get a discount of $125 on a fancy new S4.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Endless Mike posted:

You can take my S2 from my cold, dead hands or just not offer a WatchOS update and then I'll upgrade!!!!

Or trade that bad boy in like I did for $120 while it’s still worth something...

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Ineptitude posted:

No differences, exact same usage pattern.

Yesterday:
Wore watch at 7 AM
By 9 AM it had 88% battery
11 AM it had 70%
6 PM it shut off.

Today:
At 11 AM i still had 100% battery
At 4 PM i had 84%
At 10 PM i had 63% when i took it off to charge.

Roughly my experience. Never discount the shiny factor. Also calibration and sync.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Housh posted:

Yeah, I figure even the Friday estimate might be overshooting it. I'll keep an eye on UPS and make sure someone is home if it comes early this week.

What's the transfer process? I will be going from a S2. Do you guys just set it up as another watch? I guess most of the data is pulled from my phone.

The watch backs up so you can just tell it to use your old watch as the restore target.

That said, you’re mostly transferring notification settings and faces. Everything else is pretty watchphone centric. Since you’re getting the new form factor you got a bunch a new faces available you didn’t have.

I’ve always restored mine. I went S2->S4->S5 and did the restore every time.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

devilmonk posted:

I know it's been covered already, but can someone remind me about the pro/cons of sport band vs. loop?

I like the sport band for working out. If you’re buying a sport band outright, get a Nike one as it has venting. I mostly like the plastic/silicone stuff for working out because I don’t want fabric soaking up sweat.

I like the sport loop for everyday wear. Very comfortable. I’d never wear it for a workout. It’s fabric and would get gross fast. Also I dislike the feeling of fabric bands while I workout.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

I work out with my sport loop every day and wear it in the shower. It doesn’t get gross at all.

You’re gross.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

IllegallySober posted:

Which face is this? I have an S2 but don’t see this one in my watch face options.

Siri face. Definitely was on S2 at least for for watchOS 4 and below. Dunno about 5 or 6.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Proteus Jones posted:

I'd see if Apple support can help/replace. I have AOD on with the Infographic and 8 complications. I use the watch quite a bit with the Heart Watch app (I just had super major heart surgery so I have it poll my heart-rate every 15 minutes), active pedometer, sleep tracking, etc... I've been easily hitting 20 hours with it registering around 10-15%.

How do you have it poll heart rate periodically like that? Is this with a complication that actively shows it changing every 15 mins?

I know the watch does monitor HR over the day. I just wasn’t aware you could get a complication to show it.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Proteus Jones posted:

I use a 3rd party app called Heart Watch. And the complication shows changes every 15 mins (or so... usually.. still better than having to manually look it up). It also feeds into Health just like the native app.

Cool - Thanks!

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

SeANMcBAY posted:

That just seems to indicate that you'll get no alerts at all. Do they activate if it detects a high heart rate?

It’s fine

Housh posted:

Dude is critical of the always on display's battery life

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5TuyvWoaAZk

It’s fine. I did a 1 hour workout, walked around a bunch and still had 40% left at bed time. Watch wearing was from 630am to about 930pm.

People need to quit sperging and poking the watch.

There are legit issues I’m sure but there’s no PERVASIVE HOLY gently caress NUTS problem that these morons are trying to make it out to be.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

It’s fine.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Gay Retard posted:

What does everybody use for workouts? Apple's default app? I tried out Zones, which did a pretty good job of visualizing a lot of my workout information, but I think my favourite is WorkOutDoors, which has vector-based maps that can be downloaded directly to the watch.

http://www.workoutdoors.net

I really wish Apple Maps or Google Maps would let me offline download maps to the watch, too.

I don't do much that needs routing so my usual is Apple's default app. I also use Zones if I'm actually trying to do targeted zone workouts. For anything that's routed, I'm usually on a Bike and so Strava wins there.

WorkOutDoors looks neat - may give that a try if I get serious about running... I hate running.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Thwomp posted:

Whatever Hello Weather did recently to their Apple Watch app should be made public knowledge as I've had zero issues getting the complication to work since.

Carrot has always been consistent for me. Built in weather is a crap shoot.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

smackfu posted:

Wow, I was surprised how hard they were pushing Apple Care on me at the store. Even after I gave a clear “No”. “Its only $70” isn’t much of a sales pitch.

I only get it because I mostly wear my watch for workouts and I’ve already rekt one screen in the past smacking it on a rack.

That said - I’m definitely in camp Maybe for whether you should buy it.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

dissss posted:

... I don’t have to reset the phone too do I? I really don’t want to lose all my two factor codes :/

This may be true of other apps but Microsoft Authenticator can backup 2FA codes.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Protocol7 posted:

Does MS Auth support standard TOTP codes? Because I wouldn't mind putting all my 2FA eggs in that basket.

Yup. I’ve been using it for a few years and all of my TOTP codes except my work one (Duo) are in there.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Anyone using Carrot Weather and had trouble with it updating the complication on watchOS 6.0.1? I noticed in last week or two that it hasn’t been updating consistently.

Trying out Hello Weather for giggles to see if that’s any different.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Well I sent a feedback email to Carrot Weather and the author shot me a link to a beta test flight that seems to be working and consistently updating.