Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
Is there only one personal mission that unlocks each new hero? As I've got one for lightning bolt that is... Unlikely to happen... And was wondering if it was worth actively gunning for it, or just seeing if it ever naturally happens? Currently mindthief.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Doctor Spaceman posted:

The PQs are divided up as follows: there are two for each class, and two for envelope X. Note this means Sun and Moon can be unlocked in 3 different ways.

Campaign spoilers that get increasingly specific and shouldn't be read: one class can also be unlocked during the campaign, specificallyAngry Face fromscenario 44.

So someone else could have the same class as me, and unbox it before I complete my personal quest (and given what mine is they definitely would, and there's zero chance my group will allow for house rulings on those) such that I don't get an unboxing? I know its petty but that would seriously make me reconsider playing on at that point. That sucks.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Jimbozig posted:

If it's the one that wants you to exhaust a bunch of times, that's actually totally doable. Let's say you know there is only a couple of turns left. Use two loss cards, short rest, decide you would rather take damage than toss the card you draw, then lose a card from your hand or two discards rather than taking the damage, and do this until you can't. You should be down to just a few cards. Run into traps to lose cards faster. Or, if you are at low health, do the same strat but just lose HP instead of tossing cards. Each turn by short resting, you can guarantee you lose as much HP as you have cards in your discard, minus 1. I set out to do it every mission and managed to do it in 12 out of 12 missions. Only a couple of times did I have to ask my party to lay off the last enemy and go loot to give me more time.

I guess the alternative is that you have the kill 15 vermlings quest and you already played scenarios 9,17, and 18. In that case, yeah, you're pretty hosed for a while until you convince your friends to replay one of those scenarios or get lucky unlocking the right random side scenarios.

So, its the former, and I guess the issue is that my group wouldn't really be ok with me doing that? It kinda goes against the spirit of things somewhat. I'm not super stoked about playing that way either, it feels like doing it that way is like a badly tacked on minigame? I think what I'll probably do is just ask if anyone else has lightning bolts, and if not, it makes no odds and is fine, but if they do see if they mind me switching.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
Yeah, I think it's good, it basically teaches you from the off that you have to coordinate, that no one can just facetank everything while the others spam attacks. You actually have to be strategic as well as tactical, and target priority is a big deal. You also learn from that first room about looting, and how the greed of one of your group can seriously gently caress the rest up, lol. It teaches you the threat of opening doors and that high movement cards are great.

I think if it missed any of these things, they'd feel like gotchas later, it sets the tone that "this is how the game works" so you can play accordingly.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
Gonna have our second GH night on Sunday, I'm super stoked and really really looking forward to it!

One thing that I wanted to ask the thread is, so like, I'm really into gimmicks. The gimmickier something is (I guess more idiosyncratic?) the more I'm into it. If there's some really crazy gimmick comes up (some legacy element probably) and someone else gets it, I'm probably gonna be bitter. (I mean not actually, and will just enjoy it existing but y'know, I'll wish it had been me). I know you can't really influence what you have available to you much, but, given this info, without giving anything away, would you say there are any classes that I should aim for, or, anything I should be doing that at some point down the line will give me access to something gimmicky?

Totally realise this is a super gauche question, but, y'know.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Meatbag Esq. posted:

Lightning bolts has two gimmicks.

Quoting this was perilous because obviously it shows everything in the spoiler tag, but luckily I remembered that would happen in advance. This is basically the best news I could hear, because my current personal quest is for lightning bolts! Thanks! Also thanks for the cryptic 510 suggestion, that is extremely what I was after! Yay! Gloomhaven!

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
So, I have a problem maybe you dudes can help. Basically, with the mind thief, I can basically, yeah, walk up and murder the ever living gently caress out of a guy, probably burning a card or two, or I can do weird stun poo poo (or steal all the gold). Often there's generally an obvious target for everyone, and my team mates don't always have the ability to just delete a fool. However, I never really want to be the closest to any enemy, because I'll die. So I find more often than not, I have to wait until all my team mates are done deciding what they're doing, and then adapting. This is fine, but my girlfriend who is incredibly critical of everything I do keeps getting uppity that she has to wait for me. Is there any way that I can plan better without knowing what the Brute and Cragheart are doing (the spell weaver rarely matters to my positioning). I know this stuff will come with time (we're only level 3) but any tips would be massively appreciated, tia.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
3 sessions in, we decided to share what our personal goals are, (wed been keeping them secret) because there were suspicions that they were at odds with each other. It was so funny reading them out, because they in order got worse and worse:

Have a bunch of equipment.
Die 15 times.
Have two other people retire.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
Hey, can anyone give me some advice? We're level 4, and just unlocked the thing that lets you put stickers on cards. I was wondering if anyone could help me out with whats a good way to upgrade the Mindthief?

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Range on Perverse Edge, Movement on Scurry.

While I like the idea of strengthen on the move heal, these actually make the most sense to me.

I don't have the cards to check, but if there's a space to upgrade the move 4 with jump bottom row card, putting strengthen on that seems like it would be good too.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Miftan posted:

Wound on Cranial Overload :unsmigghh:

...curse?

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
If you can consume an element to make an attack and gain xp, but you don't make the attack, can you still take the xp?

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Taear posted:

While I know he prefers that players don't reveal their personal quests I feel like it makes it play better when everyone knows.
Although I pick whatever scenario and people go along with it at least I have a good excuse for making us play something that might be hard or has annoying lovely enemies in like Oozes or Living Spirits.

We revealed all our personal quests after a few sessions because it felt like people were playing at odds with each other, which, like I get in terms of 'role playing', but, lets be honest, there's pretty much no role playing going on in Gloomhaven, so to have the only element be a general sense of unease that someone might gently caress over your once a week 6 hour gaming session didn't really seem worth it. It turned out to be a GREAT idea for us, because, yeah, we were essentially going to dick each over otherwise. The final straw was learning from this thread that it's possible to have the same unlock reward as each other. I honestly don't know how I'd feel if after what looks like its going to take at least another 4 sessions to complete, someone else unlocked my character. I know there are other things that get unlocked instead, but that's obviously no where near as cool.

In terms of missions, we were saying, it would be so good if for every mission, there was a card that had all the fluff on it, all the details of where it was, the quest that lead to it, and then little scratch off portions for what treasure chests contain, what the achievement unlocked at the end is, and which subsequent missions are unlocked afterwards. That way you'd have a deck of 'available missions', with all the details apart from dungeon layout, and it would be super easy to see what was open to you. As is, whenever we start playing it's a case of scouring the board, reading relevant entries and trying to work out what we were 'supposed' to be doing. The fact that you can do things like the "choose to kill a guy" mission, then go back later and do the "choose to take a quest from that guy" mission really doesn't help either. I understand that would be more expensive, but, y'know. At this point, really, its sort of a drop in the ocean.

Along the 'no role playing' line, it took us a while to work out how you're meant to play the town and road events too. We'd been doing it purely from a rp'ing perspective, but a lot (most) of the time it seems like there's a right answer that you can sort of deduce. Only, a few of them have been ambiguous enough that what we've all agreed to do has actually been the opposite of what the card intended. E.g. (Not a real example but something similar to): "There's a group of people fighting over a plate of steaks, do you attack them, or try to calm the situation?" and we're all "Oh well for sure we want some juicy steaks, lets attack!" and then the card is like "You attack the steaks with gusto, destroying them completely, the group of people were powerful witches who curse you."

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
So, buying ten blessings spoilers:

I was under the impression it would unlock a character, not just... A progress track? That seems sort of weak, and like it could have just been that full track to begin with? The guy that opened and read that part is fairly dyslexic, so I'm never sure if he's misread something, or that I've just made a dumb assumption, lol. Is this right that it's just the track?

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
Ok, cool, thanks for all the help dudes! At the very end of our session, we had our first retirement of our Cragheart, and she opened 3 spears. I haven't really seen it in action yet, but YAAAAAAAY!!! Awesome.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
Alright, so, we bought the game with another couple, going halves each, and only play together, which has worked really well! They initially picked it up, and went to great lengths to sleeve stuff and bag stuff etc, but it's always been a bit of a faff doing all the setup etc, and we've talked in the past about using apps instead. For whatever reason, we've almost always ended up trekking to theirs to play it, but they're finally coming over to ours. As such, we've got a laptop, an amazon fire and a samsung tab that we could use for admin app purposes.

What would you say was the ideal setup for apps to play GH? I've looked at a couple of them, and some look good, but maybe running say, all the monster health stuff, on a phone, doesn't seem great? Helper on the laptop that everyone can see maybe? In a perfect world, which apps would you use, and on what device/s?

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

ObsidianBeast posted:

We might be weird but I sort of like the analog-ness of using the physical monster trackers and cards. Not saying you shouldn't use apps (it's your game, you should have fun with it), but I feel more engaged in the game if we're all using the physical stuff.

Also, if setup is your problem, I feel like deciding the scenario ahead of time and setting up the map tiles/monster stats/cards and the first room goes a long way to getting going quickly when everyone arrives.

Yeah, this is honestly why we haven't really done that in the past, engaging with it is fun. We do tend to have one or maybe two scorekeepers, and all that good stuff, but because the box is at theirs, and they have tended to hang on to it, they've been able to set up in advance, so, no issues. It's more for coming to ours where we know we're going to have to set up every game, and we tend to do a full day of it playing 3 or 4, the set up / tear down of all those could easily equal another game!

I didn't realise you could link GH helper like that, that's really neat. I'll set it up on my tab then and keep score and let people join on their phones if they want. Isn't there an app though that does the setup, gradually revealing rooms as you do, such that no one has to have it spoiled? And, an app that tracks which quests you've done?

Edit:

dwarf74 posted:

Yes, this - Gloomhaven Helper for basically everything.

It's so good one of my players bought a cheapo android tablet to join in.

I use the Gloomhaven Campaign Tracker for keeping notes of unlocks, and a web app scenario tree.

We were using the Scenario Viewer to stay un-spoiled but ehhh. The book is fine.

Ok, essentially this, cool thanks!

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
We started our first session with having unlocked a class (three spears) and finished the final game of the session with the other three of us completing our retirement criteria simultaneously! Felt incredibly climactic as it was an incredibly tough mission too! Mission number 60.

I'm sad to abandon my mind thief now. At level 7 I was getting blessed on my first two turns, then through a combo of items, unlocks and enchantments, sprinting 6, applying 5 status effects and attacking for 4, and then attacking for 15 and usually critting. Good times!

I've finally unlocked my lightning bolts, anyone got any hot chat? Good tips? Our comp will be me, three spears, music note and scoundrel. There's a reddit guide, but most of what it says sounds super min maxy, and less fun.

!Klams fucked around with this message at 12:10 on Oct 28, 2018

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Miftan posted:

Your lightning bolts build heavily depends on your team, if you're coming off of Mindthief you might enjoy playing it as a squishy damage dealer who hangs out at under half health. It's a high damage high risk build like Mindthief, just make sure you itemise appropriately! Invis cape, a health potion, etc.

Thanks, yeah, this was my initial read, (contains potential but EXTREMELY light three spears spoilers and heavy lightning bolt spoilers) being able to delete something on a whim seems very much my poo poo, especially as it's very much high risk high reward. From the cards I've seen it's possible to do 50 damage in one go if the stars align, which is awesome as poo poo. All I was thinking is, we have a scoundrel now, who I'd assumed was the assassin type, and don't really have a tank anymore (unless three spears can be?) Do I not kind of have to build sorta tanky? Does that just come out in the wash anyway with me having to take self heals? Like I get that I can build for maximum damage, which lets be honest I'm often do, but, with the mind thief you incidentally have a bunch of cc stuff. Is it the case I'll incidentally be able to tank a bit? I really can't tell from just reading the cards how it will play?

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

xiw posted:

God I hate scenarios that require a loot card to interact with things.

While I totally hear ya, I do kinda think that, with so many missions, having the diversity of what matters and how you need to set up your deck, it makes for an interesting challenge. I hate those missions, but I think, in the same way that I "hate" opening a door and finding there's a bunch of enemies that are about to murder me, y'know?

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
Finally played a session with Lightning Bolts. I dunno, really didn't click for me. Like, the 'remain at half health' shtick is interesting on paper, but, I actually find it pretty dull. At full health, you're essentially a bad tank, so you don't really ever want to be at full health. I mean the 'CHARACTER' sometimes probably does for mission purposes, like it's right to, but I don't want to be, because it's not very fun to say "I'll just walk up and do an attack 2" for the first few turns, and with my group I rarely have low enough priority to actually take aggro, so, its neither fun nor very effective. Then going down to mid yourself using your life-loss stuff, I dunno, it just doesn't feel like you're getting a big win for a big cost, (except for that attack 6, and that obviously-you-take-this-one level 4 card) they just kind of feel like a hassle to get the juice out of. Then operating at mid health, at the moment is super risky, because I don't have any real tank items, but if I don't have damage items, I can't really get any payoff for going low on health, so I might as well... just be a tank? I dunno, I just feel like I'm neither one thing nor the other. Having said that, I do find that it's me that's killing everything, and obviously if that's happening I'm pretty powerful! I guess I just don't really 'feel' like I'm this awesome Berzerker screaming around spraying blood and fury, I feel more like I'm a careful calm chick, balancing a wide plank, that as long as it remains balanced will bludgeon everyone super hard, while carefully trying to avoid anyone knocking the plank over. Maybe as it goes on and I get more health, with more leeway I can be more haphazard about it. Also, I should probably take health pots so I can do that one where you go down to 1, and not immediately die afterwards, lol. Actually just typing this up (we finished playing like 4 hours ago) has me thinking about it, and actually in retrospect I didn't hate it, I just didn't gel quite as well as I thought I was going to when I opened it and first read it all last month. I do still maintain that the choices at each level are (so far, haven't looked ahead) academic, where there's one that's awesome and one that's confusingly bad? The last thing we did was level up, and level 5 was no exception.

For a full picture, I'm currently rockin' the boots of +2, the hat of ignore crit, the hammer that lets you do an AoE in two spaces in front of you and a stamina pot (that we house ruled to get back only one card, what's the general consensus on this?) I'm thinking of changing the stamina pot into a health pot, as I say, but, any tips on my current items / suggested playstyle that might be more fluid? My group is Three Spears, Music Note and as of the end of that session, triforce.

!Klams fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Nov 19, 2018

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
I'd add, there's another reason I can think of not to just allow any amount but it's sort of kind of a bit spoilery. There is a retirement quest thingie that requires you to have a certain amount of enhancements, so it would obviously massively change the barrier to entry for that.

Thanks for the notes about lightning bolts, all interesting stuff, especially hearing that it clicked on the second run for you JimboZig, I'm really relieved to hear that. My new retirement goal is another really hard one, so figure I'm stuck with bolty for a while yet. Miftan: Invis cloak. What the gently caress. That's so obvious now you've said it! I was thinking like, I need to take the hits because my team is squishy, but actually, there are single turns where I'm the squishiest possible thing in the entire game FOR EXACTLY ONE TURN and then back to a double hard bastard, invis cloak is the perfect antidote to that! GRANDE!

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

KingKapalone posted:

Interesting, I never brought this card but I also followed Gripeaway's reddit guide which I'm still not sure if I liked. I ended up retiring at level 6. The class was the slowest to level of any class we've played and that's all but 5. Might have been more fun to just go reckless and take tons of damage and risks with losses.

Lightning bolt spoilers continue: I REALLY feel like the XP is balanced entirely around glass hammer. I basically get all my xp from crits on that.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
...sorry, what's all this about solo missions?

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Reik posted:

Lightning Bolts Don't worry, that's the only exp you're going to be gaining with that class. I'm pretty sure they balanced the exp on other cards expecting you to do just what you've described.

Lightning bolts: Yeah, seconding this. The class is very clearly balanced around doing the odd spike of insane XP, and then not really getting much the rest of the time. I've hit three of those nonsense crits, and yet I'm absolutely level with the other three of my team in XP, although I did level up before them. As for soloing the mission, I dunno what to tell you, but that won't always be the case AT ALL. Maybe your comp is vastly different, but I find that because I'm generally slower, I have to actually work pretty hard to be relevant on certain turns. You have a few good normal attacks, but the insane damage is on loss cards, so on the missions with larger numbers of smaller enemies you definitely don't shine as bright.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
I think from context clues I've basically had the nature of this envelope spoiled at this point, but, can anyone tell me if there's something that should have called me to look for it that I should have found? We've reached prosperity level 4 and opened envelopes A and B? It seems like its essentially a spoiler to mention a third envelope at all to me, since it can only really mean one thing at this point, especially with someone mentioning that they 'pulled a risk legacy'. I've never played that game, but, again, from context, it kinda hard gave the game away. Is that ok though? Is it just curiosity being rewarded, or should something have drawn us to it, and I've had the reveal spoiled?

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Reik posted:

Special envelope spoiler I'm pretty sure it has something to do with envelope X, but we haven't opened envelope X yet so I'm speculating based on other clues we've gotten from other unlocks. "Pulling a Risk Legacy" is just a reference to the physical location of the special envelope IIRC.

Well, that's kinda what I'm getting at tbh. I wouldn't have known there was a hidden envelope at all, now that I do, there's only really one place to hide it, so, I know it's there. Nothing in the game has told me to find it, but I also happen to know that if I did go and dig it out, I could, according to the rules, open it. So what I'm asking is, is there something in the game tells you to go a rummaging, or is the envelope a reward for doing that of your own accord?

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

thespaceinvader posted:

nothing tells you to look for it AFAIK, but almost everyone finds it because almost everyone winds up completely reorganising the box SOMEHOW during their tenure, because it really needs a logical and well ordered storage solution to work

Ok, cool, this is basically what I was hoping, because now that I know it, I want to coerce my crew into finding it 'by accident'. If there was something that told us to, I'd rather wait for that, I don't want to jump the gun, and if they find out I've read spoilers they'll all be upset with me. I really didn't mean to, but when someone says "When did you guys open the envelope you're allowed to open whenever?" and you've only got two envelopes in your box, the penny drops pretty quick.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
Had my second session with lightning bolt, enjoyed it wwaaaaayy more now we don't have a rogue with us, being the only one in our group that can fucksmash the soul out of exactly one (or two) monsters on demand gives me a really good niche to fill. Case in point, we just fought (specific boss spoiler, though very mild as its super telegraphed, plus further lightning bolt spoilers) Jekserah, and I'd gone to open the chest when the rest of my team went in to fight her. They were gradually whittling down living corpses, as i made my way back over, healing up to full, and made it just in time to one shot her to hell, lol. I've taken to just throwing all caution out the window and taking damage from enemies to get me low rather than managing it carefully. It's way more fun. .

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

KingKapalone posted:

My friend who played Triforce owned so hard. Massive AOE or multi Target damage, great single Target, executes.

Question, I've played Mindthief to lvl 8, Lightning Bolt to 6, now Two Mini to 9 with 4 scenarios left. Should I play Circles or Angry Face next? Could potentially also do Music Note if the other guy unlocks him at the same time as me and he chooses someone else.

Thata weird, that's exactly my progression too, although I haven't opened two minis yet.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
Everyone bangs on about Gloomhaven helper, but I swear, Gloomhaven Dungeon Master is just a billion jillion times better?

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

dwarf74 posted:

No? It lacks the key functionality of (1) tracking player-side initiative and health/xp/conditions and (2) drawing the monster tactics and doing that math, too.

It also doesn't do the server/client thing.

Oh, I find the 'tracking player-side initiative' thing on an app excruciating. There are only 4 of us and we only have one character each, it's really easy to see where we slots in between monsters, actually faffing around putting our initiatives up every round just feels like a massive hassle to me. I guess this is probably the key difference, and if you find it easier to put it up, I guess GHH would be better. I don't know what you mean about drawing the monster tactics though? It totally does that? And in a much cleaner (in my opinion) way.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
(Spoilers for Music Note, Three Spears, Lightning Bolts, Two Minis):

Just retired my lightning bolts, and opened two minis. I'm in a party with Music note, Three Spears and Triforce (No Triforce Spoilers). I opened two minis and read about the unique play style, and was pretty hyped, and then read the first card that lets you switch places of any two models (I assume that includes enemies?) and was pretty hype, but then I read the rest of it all, and honestly, it just kicked all the Gloomhaven wind out of my sails, and I don't know if I can be bothered playing it at all anymore.

The Berserker felt like it kind of broke the game somewhat. Playing with the Music note (forget it's actual name) probably didn't help, (our Quartermaster player isn't really a gamer, and she hadn't actually worked out any of the truly broken combos until right at the end of this session, so that wasn't to blame) but every mission was basically the same, with me being the 'star' of the show. Every round was one of either "Moving up and straight up murdering two enemies with glass hammer and the AoE equipment, going invis then healing to full the next turn and putting up invincibility shields" or "wounding and essentially killing everything in a room with flurry of axes" or "Jumping 9, doing anything" which are all HUGE turns that totally change the tide. I dunno what the gently caress any of the Reddit guides are on about saying things like "Glass hammer is bad because it's loss and not worth it", if the mission has two less Elites in it, generally the mission is significantly easier, and you can basically assume this is the case with Glass hammer. I don't really agree with any of them actually, they seem to really over-value holding on to loss cards. Anyway, my issue is that in a game where literally all you're doing is killing the enemies as quickly as you can, a character that can do more damage than anyone else and move faster than anyone else and is harder to kill than anyone else isn't really possible to balance. The last mission we did was one where you had to open all the doors, and I just solo'd it because I had two move 7's, one of them a jump, and a jump 5. Even the non-killy missions I was just the best. Like, I never once felt like I was 'recklessly charging in', it was always super measured and guaranteed to succeed. I feel like to get the playstyle the class suggests, all you'd have to do is get rid of 'heal to full' and anything that reduces you to 1 and just make it 'lose 7, do 7 damage'. Suddenly you're actually bothered about your health to the point healing items are of interest, and you don't have such a guaranteed 'delete button'. I guess in retrospect we should have upped the difficulty, but the problem is that we did that once and everyone else just got destroyed, like it wasn't close, but I should have fought harder to try again, and made more effort to save them.

ANYWAY. Opening up the bear dude, and reading the cards, it was just like, "Yeah, I see, so all the summons are poo poo and I can pretty much ignore them except for fun, and then I just do that one that makes the bear insane all the time, ok". Like, turn order and having two mini's is kinda neat, I guess, but I can't really see it being super important EXCEPT that you have the 'switch places' card. I just saw all the games with the class laid out before me, and how they're all gonna go. The game is so samey mission to mission that I can already see "this card for escort quests, this card for few-elite missions, this card for numerous-small enemies, this card for escape missions etc". While we don't have the insane Berserker anymore, Quartermaster is up to speed now, and having two minis feels like it's going to amplify (ho ho!) the Soothsayer (that's music note right?) even more? I dunno, I just feel kinda burnt out on the whole thing, like, it's just the same puzzle over and over, and when you solve it as hard as the Berserker did, it sort of just feels like going through the same motions but slower now. I still wanna see the unlocks, but I suspect I'll have a similar reaction to two minis with Angry Face, Cthulu, Saw and Ubisoft, who are the only remaining ones.

(since I'm kinda burnt out on the game) I wonder if it would be more fun to just open the remaining classes, and then have us all choose a class for every mission? The progression of working towards an unlock was really fun and exciting to begin with, and getting perks and unlocking new cards was great, but now that you start with a bunch, it feels less like progression, and more like the fun is being gated. Maybe we just need to stop playing for a while.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Doctor Spaceman posted:

How many scenarios left?

Having a break before the expac isn't a bad idea.

Like, most of them. We've done I think about 25 - 30 missions total.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Reik posted:

I'm pretty sure the answer to scenario 72 is Lightning Bolts, the more I think about it. I don't see how they don't take down trees a & b in rounds 1 and 2 before they get to summon an ooze, assuming you've got a cloak of invis. It does drain you of 3 loss cards: Glass Hammer, Resolute Stand, and From the Brink, but you're so far ahead of schedule at that point you should be able to clean up on time.

I mean, this, but for every single level. I didn't find any levels in all my days as lightning bolts where this wasn't true. There's always some circumstance where doing that thing puts you in that situation, to the same result.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Xiahou Dun posted:

They are never going to watch that. Ever. I did, but it doesn't help. (Or well it obviously does since I know the rules better but you know what I mean.)

They had initial problems but cottoned to it fine after a bit. It's more that they can be hard to come around to new ideas than they're actually not following things.

Thanks to all the ideas! I'll see how this goes and probably be doing annoying questions.

Elderly parents who like board games are a weird fate. On the one hand I've never been happier but on the other hand jesus christ the rules explanations.

So, dude, Gloomhaven actually is really easy. Like people have said, there's just 'a lot of it', but none of it is hard to understand. Like, the rules for how enemies choose their target and move are kinda fiddly, but as long as YOU know how they work, your parents can just grok 'dont be the nearest to an enemy' and that will work out fine. Basically, you can DM it, essentially, and they don't really have to learn anything except how to play their own turn. Which is actually fairly simple. Then, because it's all quite simple, they'll pick it all up pretty quickly and be reminding YOU of stuff you've missed before you know it.

The thing for us that was honest to God hardest about starting, was that, we didn't find it very clear, AT ALL, how to actually... Start? The rulebook doesn't really do a very good job of explaining what to do the very first time you play, and so it feels a bit overwhelming. Once you've done that though, and started the first mission, from then on, it's always a lot easier to find what you're looking for.

You can think of it as two totally different games, almost. There's the main dungeon / missions stuff that's moving your dudes around and fighting, but you can think of everything else as happening on a different board. Shopping, choosing quests, doing a city event, levelling up, etc. We get out the map board only between missions. Again, all of this stuff, you can learn on your own, and explain it all to them. There's honestly very little. Put any new stickers on the board. Read a city event card, do a shop, level up if you have enough xp, buy a blessing from the church, choose a new mission, do a road event. That's basically it. It's just the rules for any of those individual bits are pretty long, because there are caveats to all of them.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
Lightning bolts and two minis:

lightning bolts was so op that I thought I'd got bored of the game. Playing two minis and actually worrying about whether we'll be able to complete quests has made it fun again! I really think the lightning Bolts class had serious serious issues. If your whole shtick is "high risk, high reward" you can't also have things that let you entirely mitigate risk at no cost. It's not interesting. Playing as two minis has made the game exciting again! At one point it became apparent that my bear was going to wander across some lava, and it was brilliant.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Elephant Ambush posted:

Can you please explain why you think Lightning Bolts is OP? I'm playing it now and having a blast and while I agree that it's pretty powerful I would disagree that it's OP or game breaking.

Maybe it's my current party composition (Music Note and Triforce)?

Basically, you can do consistent high damage without effort, you can do next to guaranteed 15 or so damage (level dependant) to two enemies with two items, if ever theres a mission where that somehow isn't enough firepower you have two executes, you can jump 8 with an enhancement, and you're never close to dying. Since all the game really has is puzzles over how to get to certain places and how to kill certain things, you just get to repeatedly say "nah, I'm not puzzling anything, I just outright beat it with no recourse to me". Maybe it's because there are four of us, so enough players to pick up the slack if I messed up, but I would basically just go as ham as I could, no regard for my well-being, and basically end up soloing missions, without dying.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I've only been playing it for three scenarios, but so far it's been a similar experience for me. Room full of enemies? Pop the +range helm, Shiny Distraction, and a power potion, Flurry of Axes, kill or injure most everything. One scenario I had a whopping 15 enemies in range. Small room with tough enemies? Facetank them easily with Defiance of Death, and then murder them all with Resolute Stand and your melee AoE item of choice. In-between you've got a bunch of solid high damage cards mixed with the utility of stuns and solid multi-target attacks. I've yet to pop the last use of DoD or lose a card to avoid damage, which makes the class all reward and no risk, which is nuts when the reward is doing more damage than any other class can hope to achieve. If this keeps up and we haven't just been doing scenarios that favor the class specifically, I'm gonna have to ask my party for ideas on how to nerf the class just to keep it sporting.

Oh God, yeah, I completely forgot about flurry of axes. There's just no situation where you ever think "Hey guys, can any of you do anything about this?" ever. You're ALWAYS more than equipped to deal with it. I only actually had 2 full sessions with the Berserker, because my quest involved killing stuff, and, y'know. Yeah. Zero issue with that. So luckily it was basically the TURN that my group finally broke beyond just looking at me sideways and instead started asking 'can I see your cards? Can you REALLY do that?' that I achieved retirement. (It was a mission that involved navigating across traps to and then killing an insanely high toughness high shield enemy and I completed it on my ... second? Third? Turn, without flipping any cards or being in peril at any point. Well. Except the very final moment where technically I exhausted, but, y'know.) I think if you just make Flurry max 2 (mayyyyybe 3) instead of 4, make glass hammer and resolute stand both care about "half" your health (round up, adjust XP gain, maybe flat 3?), and likewise back from the brink only heal up to half. Finally make defiance of death next 3 damage, not next three fatal damage. I suspect that back from the brink is designed that way specifically so that it's not easy to hover at the crucial half health zone, but I think that whole mechanic is VASTLY overvalued, I basically never cared about trying to achieve it since the rest of the kit is so strong, and just sometimes incidentally had turn on. I think by putting the emphasis back on it, making it easier to get to and stay at, at the cost of the rest of the kit, it means you're more likely to spend time at low health where a single big hit can mean disaster, which means there's actually some decisions. It also means your huge hits are just huge and not 'WAY more than you ever need to kill anything'. At level 4, I feel like doing an attack 8 is already a pretty big deal, it doesn't really need to be an attack 15. Maybe this feels like overkill, because I appreciate this is a huge nerf, but I feel like by making it easier to get to exactly the sweet spot of health would make a bunch of the other cards shine a bit more, and that overall the class would feel more coherent.

!Klams fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Feb 5, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
We're going away for a Gloomhaven weekend, one thing we've never been great at is following the story. Anyone know a quick / easy way to recap the story so far? It's kinda difficult to follow the threads. We also haven't been following the alternate plot that gets set up in that town records book maybe the thing to do is just read that?