Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

its curtains for Kevin posted:

I killed the jungler and stole baron from spawn with no vision today.

skillshot life

I think doing this sort of thing with Jhin is the greatest feeling, you warn them heavily with the first 3 shots and some people will try and outwit the fourth and you'll just take dragon or baron.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

I figure Rageblade into Nashor makes a lot of sense, then you build like Bortk or something. I still don't know how much of each stat you need for the upgrades to abilities though.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Servaetes posted:

He feels better but yeah he's going to die to tanks and he can't really hurt them so still not a super good pick.

I’ve never actually found a full crit Jhin with DD to be weak to tanks. But that might just be everyone at my skill level being poo poo.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Kai'sa would be improved immensely without the helmet option. Just have her helmet on all the time and make her art with the helmet on and have it be necessary for her to live on earth/the void anymore because she's been mutated horribly by her life-style.

It would fix so much I'm not even joking. Like, keep the bodysuit because she's meant to be a Venom/Blue Beetle/etc style character and it's literally a living second skin attaching itself to her original body, just don't let her take off the helmet it's so stupid she can and starts without the helmet on.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Yeah, you'd run into problems trying to replace the more complicated skins, most skin mods are simplistic because they replace the primary skin and it's particles. Whereas a lot of the more expensive skins have additional effects/particles that you wouldn't have anything from the base skin to replace with.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

TheTofuShop posted:

maybe it's just that I'm bad and the people I'm playing against are also terrible, but Vi feels really good after her changes in 8.8. the CD reductions on Q and her W make the first clear much faster and you get to dash punch a couple times with the first gank.

I agree, Vi feels a lot better with the cooldown reduction to q and e and passive making her feel a lot smoother. I'm not so sure it'll get her back into toplane all things considered but she might be a surprise pick to screw with expectations up there, she does nastier things in a straight 1v1 then ever before.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

I'm already looking at it and I think the new dream Jhin Build is 2 Zeal Items of your preference, IE, Lifesteal of some sort, Stormrazor and the one that gives a big damage boost when you ult. You will run fast, deal big true damage crits with every attack and die immediately to a stiff breeze.

Who needs shoes when you run fast naturally.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

kingcobweb posted:

I don't think Jhin is the best user of this item. His fourth shot crit is going to completely waste the second passive, since he's reloading, and the attack speed (while converted into AD) isn't going to be as good as on people that actually want the AS.

Looks like a Twitch/Vayne item to me.

It lets him run away faster after the fourth shot, as the MS bonuses will stack, more importantly it guarantess his first shot will also be a crit, which is huge for Jhin.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Monathin posted:

Pretty disappointed with the Essence Reaver effect. Trying to think who would be good users of something like that. Kai'sa? Vayne?

It's going to be poo poo on Lucian which of course means another item that Lucian potentially likes is made to be the worst synergy with him possible, lmao

Various ad junglers will love it though. Kha'zix could put in some work with it for example.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

strong bird posted:

that guy is a certifiable invincible ninja due to his ability to exit the game world at will

Which would be a reasonable claim if Alpha Strike actually worked to dodge anything at all instead of being a buggy awkward mess to use as a dodge move.

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 01:49 on May 11, 2018

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

el dingo posted:

I'm actually questioning the wisdom of giving a champ two forms of crowd control usable from camo.

People who have played against him, is there a sound when he activates his camo? I was using it and people were backing off a lot like it was a sion ult or something

It literally puts this giant ring of shark teeth around nearbye enemies.

Erdricks posted:

His ult means that if you are under 25% (or whatever the threshold %) health, you can't even show near him because he will W-R and get ult resets. ADCs can't get any relief this patch.

His ult is not percentage based, it's much stupider/worse. It's flat health scaling poorly off AD and less poorly off Pyke's level.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

A better question than why nerf Irelia is why buff Lee Sin, he was finally bad in jungle for once.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

I honestly don't get why they want so badly to have a champion's base stats change with out of game nonsense, the runes in of themselves are fine just remove all the stats and then buff people with weak early games due to lacking stats.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Please turn on quick-cast too, as someone coming from DotA myself I will never advocate Quick-Cast in DotA but it feels so much better in League.

Like, when I turned it on the difference in flow and feel was night and day. DotA is slower in general so you can take the time to manually cast things, League is all twitch reactions and speed so quick-cast is so necessary.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Also, your logic that protobelt functions like Force Staff is wrong. Force Staff is purely for mobility/utility it has no other purpose, Prot-belt is for increasing burst in a fight whilst supplying small mobility and a bunch of cdr and health.

Protobelt has almost no utility use in game, which is why it's only built on close range mages to help them stick instead of everyone like force-staff tends to be.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

I haven’t touched ranked since placements because I know I’d get dropped from Gold 5 to Silver because I make the most asinine mistakes and am incapable of playing safe or turning around a losing game.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

It’s also possible he did in fact get fired for engaging at all and being kind of a dick to people in general. He has been like this for a while, he’s the one who designed Taliyah and Kayn and got extremely mad when people would play them “wrong” to the point of tweeting insults at people, and the Riot Balance team when they gave Taliyah her vector targeted shove. He also was incredibly aggressive about anyone trying to work out the exact numbers involved in Kayns transformation because he thought they were being boring and hated fun.

He’s been a terrible social media presence since forever, it’s entirely possible this was the straw that broke the camels back given he outright called for a subsection of the player base to kill themselves. Which regardless of his reasons is still incredibly unprofessional and any reasonable company would fire him for it. Riot just happen to also be going through the shitstorm of several repeated fuckups.

In other Riot failures they apparently sent out a mass email and accidentally failed to hide all the recipients addresses. So now every person who received that email has the email address of every other person who received it. This is understandably a huge invasion of privacy that in the EU Riot could actually be sued over. Only happened in NA though so that’s a wash.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Also the real shame is that the special skin is some crappy gold version of Popstar Kai’sa who is as boring as regular Kai’sa instead of an incredibly sick neon paint Akali.

Like Akali stole the whole music video and Eve was a strong second but Ahri just kind of existed and Kai’sa barely sung and was boring the entire time.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

In discussion of Aatrox, I actually kind of like the rework but wish they'd bit the bullet and got rid of his revive, it's such a huge part of his power budget and it makes his new ult actually kind of boring and awkward. I'd rather his ult just improved his other spells and gave him the AD.

More to the point the rework is cool but the removal of the voicelines and personality is less so, the new one is fine the old one just felt so good to listen to.

Also because of him being an ability based juggernaut and what his damage is loaded into he's like the only juggernaut who routinely loses face to face fights against divers. He really needs a Sweet Spot near him on every ability so he doesn't just get close range bodied.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

el dingo posted:

Ya 800g to essentially neuter healing is p good.

Just thinking bout that, i feel like grevious wounds is a bit of a bandaid (no pun intended) as a counter to healing. Buy this item, attack someone. Or the briar vest thingy - buy it, get attacked to trigger it. There must be a more elegant solution

Yeah see this has long been my opinion of Grievous Wounds, it's actually not a great method for countering healing because either you need it because the healing is too strong, or you don't and get it which leaves any incendental healing or healing based survivability on the other persons kit to become useless.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Except the answer to powerful sustain should really just be Riot nerfing that sustain, as it is Grievous Wounds is awkward and makes certain characters feel awful to play because of how hard it nullifies basic parts of their kit design.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

This is Jhintertainment.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

The reason ADC mains are crying about balance is they were the only guaranteed role for literal years, yes people could play off-meta botlanes but the standard setup was marksman ADC and a Support. Now the role has changed and they can’t play their favourite champions/playstyles as easily

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Kite Pride Worldwide posted:

Is there any rhyme or reason to how stunned characters can still do stuff sometimes? I guess I can understand stuff like Sion's axe charge being uninterruptible but I just had a game where Singed would flip me even though it blatantly said "STUNNED!" over his head.

If an ability cast animation starts it will always go through.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

porfiria posted:

Out of all the Champions in the League of Legends who is the most likely to be a Trump supporter?

Probably Camille.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Strictly speaking Noxus is an Expansionist Meritocracy, where anyone can be successful provided they prove capable. It’s one of their good sides.

Piltover and by extension Zaun are theoretically a democratic city state; but Zaun is actually run by the chembarons. The Ionians aren’t really theocratic so much as respectful and worshipful of their elders with a council running things.

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Feb 27, 2019

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

pog boyfriend posted:

hey chief you forgot to finish your sentence

Nah just a thought that I ended up not following. Anyway Piltover is the closest to modern America in society and design so they’re the most likely to have trump voters.

I also agree largely with your tierlist but don’t hate Piltover so it’s solidly d tier for me, and Noxus is S tier when it isn’t being used for cartoon levels of evil.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Servaetes posted:

Nah they turned Shaco into a magic doll that came to life I remember seeing it in one of those did you know facts before a game starts

Kind of like turning skarner into a brainless scorpion or nautilus into a generic sea monster it sucks

Nautilus thankfully is still the same angry vengeful guy who was abandoned at the bottom of the ocean. Skaner I got nothing for.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Which is why Positional Matchmaking is still a thing I would assume?

So you can still learn new roles against people at a lower skill in that role, you just don't know what level you're learning at.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Syrinxx posted:

Whaaaaaaaat

Update they made last year or the year before I think? Pressing Recall on ARAM plays your Recall animation.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

But that's not a problem with the design of the characters, it's a problem with the design of the game. Because if Mana actually mattered at all to these characters they wouldn't be able to do that. Also ideally top lane fighters can play around the really telegraphed damage of the top lane tanks, it's not on the tanks to outplay their opponent but on the opponent to outmaneuver the slow tanks.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

The other problem here is that the game has consistently skewed towards damage being stronger than damage mitigation. Which means that Tanks have to be really good at certain things because the thing they’re meant to be good at doesn’t exist.

Relatedly Riot gives champions with mobility and options higher damage instead of lower damage, so the champions who already have high skill based outplay also get high stats, tanks have low skill based gameplay compared to every other class and in return they should theoretically be able to withstand everyone else for more than 10 seconds at a time but largely they don’t.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

SKULL.GIF posted:

Small sample size but so far Darius has always ended up banned in ARAM and I can't figure out why

I'd have named a dozen other tank-initiators as problematic ahead of Darius

It's because Darius is probably the most capable of actually getting an ARAM penta if played well, just by pentadunking.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Basically any passive effect that is unique to multiple items will give you the best parts of each version. The only other case I know of is that if you have multiple spellblade items they’ll default to whichever spellblade will give you the highest damage and you always get Iceborns’s slow circle regardless of which damage version occurred.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

CYBEReris posted:

if you're careful about leashing her around she can last a long rear end time. the leash range is huge though which is annoying.

Didn't they specifically update her somewhat recently to fix this so she always follows Yorick around until you cast again to send her to lane now?

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Verviticus posted:

it prioritizes targets it hasnt hit and targets that are actively being drained and then i think its random. maybe make the initial missile speed slower so people have more time to get away from the minion pack?

anyways i cant really speak to playing against fiddlesticks as a support. hes fun to have or play against as a jungler, though, and they'd maybe just be better served by making him a better jungler and/or a worse support instead of reworking him

It’s very hard to do that naturally when Riot arguably do want Fiddle to be playable in more than one role.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

My solution to being balls to the wall is playing Pyke. ADCs inherently seem to understand that Pyke knows when to hit an enemy, and will always try to make that hook count in ways they sometimes fail to for Thresh and Blitz.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Mordekaiser is basically every Juggernaut on release/rework. A little numerically strong but mostly just new enough people are bad at fighting him.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Mordekaiser is actually the Juggernaut with the "longest" catch range in that he builds rylai's first and his e actually is quite a long range. So he can punish ranged champs that other juggernaut's cannot normally reach by timing e and q to set-up for his one auto passive.

Also Nashor's Tooth is straight up good on him. You do even more magic damage on autos, and get 20% cdr so you can do everything you do well more often. Gunblade also extends his catch range nicely and I think morde might be the hardest Juggernaut to actually run away from in general thanks to AP items being more broad in effect then the items available to ad juggernauts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Vermain posted:

A large part of it is simply that assassins are designed to be at their strongest in the early-mid game where they can snowball advantages to gain an overwhelming offensive lead over their opponent. Blue Kayn has significant ramp-up time compared to other jungle assassins and is dependent on only ganking very specific lanes if he doesn't want to lengthen that ramp-up time further. I've absolutely seen Blue Kayns pop off before, but it's such a gigantic pain in the rear end to make it work compared to playing Kha'Zix or whatever.

The other side of this is that Blue Kayn, as someone who plays Kayn, is possibly the strongest late game assassin from a raw damage perspective, and can assassinate 3 champs in the time it might take Zed to assassinate one.

Shadow Assassin isn’t just more raw damage then Rhaast, it’s excessively more damage, something like an increase of 50% against non-tanks. He also is way more mobile after the changes to shadow walk in SA form.

Red is the safer choice in almost every game, but in the games where Blue is good Blue is unbeatable oppressive.

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Jun 20, 2019