Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

webcams for christ posted:

for all of you waiting on baited breath for the Mennonite Central Committee to weigh in:

https://twitter.com/CarlBeijer/status/1711068515455627398

I was, kinda! Thank you!

Mister Bates posted:

the Mennonite church in the US is in the process of schisming right now over the younger membership - who are an increasingly large percentage of the total - taking the wider organization on a hard left turn, particularly on issues of gender and sexuality but also on issues like this

a bunch of more traditionalist congregations have already left, along with tens of thousands of members, which has actually accelerated the church's political shift because the ones remaining are the ones who are okay with gay people and Palestinian solidarity

I haven't followed Mennonite church politics in some time but this isn't at all surprising, it's been a long time coming. (And it's good news)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Death By The Blues posted:

I know Iran currently isn't doing well economically and is politically divided but its next level delusional that Americans think it would be easy to defeat and conquer. Big country lots of people, be a nightmare.

Americans think every place would be easy to conquer.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

HallelujahLee posted:

under international law israel actually doesnt a have right to defend itself because its a occupying apartheid force

i hear a liberal crying in the distance about rules

You leave speng alone

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

My old Mennonite college used to do semesters abroad in Israel (one of several options for a "cross-cultural" requirement that was in retrospect layered with the implicit assumption that students there were absolutely made of money). Knowing the professor who was running those trips at the time, they were definitely not "Israel is blameless and holy" indoctrination sessions, he was generally on the right side of things even in the early-mid 90s.

I have no idea if they still do those trips now, or if any of their students are there at the moment.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Engorged Pedipalps posted:

They're getting overwhelmed by rocket fire and have started running into ammunition problems from what I have heard itt

The fate of every military project the US treats as a money sink.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Frosted Flake posted:

I feel like I'm driving myself crazy but one of the top IDF spokesmen has a thick Scottish brogue*.

Are any of those people loving from there? Christ on the Cross!

* apparently the proper term is "burr"?

I guess to the extent that any American was from the U.S. in like 1825.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Al! posted:

one of the reasons i think liberals are so kneejerk about burying their heads in the sand this time, is that this cant really be blamed on trump, and in fact a lot of the current situation has to do with obama

Aside from those extremely stable geniuses trying to say that Trump gave Putin Iron Dome specs which he then used to sell out Israel to Hamas.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Frosted Flake posted:

Is there an acceptable way to talk about AIPAC controlling politics? To liberals I mean.

A mild criticism of AIPAC is what got Ilhan Omar in so much trouble a few years ago (back when she was still willing to take public stands on things)

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

HallelujahLee posted:

yes they also bombed the border

Isn't this at least the second time they've pulled "gather here for safety" where "here" was basically a spot on a map with BOMB HERE written on it?

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

mcmagic posted:

It's incredible that people just accept that "so we had to blow up a hospital" is a good logical follow up to this.

The decades-long push of "Israel Is Our Only Ally In The Middle East" combined with "terrorist = inhuman monster supervillain" really did a number on us.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

speng31b posted:

my decision to stay off twitter for this keeps racking up Ws

I only read Twitterx for Star Trek gossip and even that's a bit much right now

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

mcmagic posted:

This is the dystopian AI therapy right?

I think it's just gig economy therapy but them branching out into ChatGPT therapy wouldn't surprise me one bit.

(Drunk Eliza is the only robot therapist anyone needs)

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Xaris posted:

this

not even zegermans is this dumb

Let's not say things we can't take back

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Engorged Pedipalps posted:

I was under the impression iron dome was a CRAM system with a traditional cannon but knowing it's guided missiles on a a rack of 20 is loving me up so bad lmao

How did anyone think that was ever gonna work?

I was honestly hoping it was a literal dome made out of iron

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

https://twitter.com/Reductress/status/1392174013338865676

you could not make this joke today without drawing death threats

Please don't exaggerate

They probably got death threats then too

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Quite a lot of morally wrong things are "human", all of them in fact!

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Starsfan posted:

how the gently caress does he not get roasted alive for this poo poo

Because he's not alive. They've just barely gotten him to stop opening press conferences with "As a large language model, I-"

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

TheLemonOfIchabod posted:

What are the best humanitarian organizations to donate to, if any? Is anyone at all even being allowed in?

It might be worth starting the International Decency Fund in the hopes that you can just say you're with the IDF and hope someone at the border is sleep-deprived that day.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

"Day of Jihad" is scientifically designed to scare stupid, gullible Americans. You might as well name something "Kill Whitey Day".

BREAKING: October 13 declared "Kill Whitey Day" according to credible online sources.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Clip-On Fedora posted:

You have got to be making GBS threads me

No, that's next door, this is sperm recovery

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

speng31b posted:

adding to this -- apparently more reports across the forums have been generated in the past few days than anytime anyone can remember

Is it still mostly not CSPAM reports or have we started to catch up?

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I'm afraid of Americans
I'm afraid of the world
I'm afraid I can't help it
I'm afraid I can't

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

PawParole posted:

What are the chances do you think of a draft?

Probably zero. We do proxy wars these days.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

FlapYoJacks posted:

OK, so after the IDF cuts the internet from Gaza and expells/arrests/murders all the reporters they don't like. Where do we get our news from? I sure as gently caress am not going to trust any Western media source. :smith:

That's, of course, the point. They know the world is watching and they don't want us to.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Jel Shaker posted:

is it tue the f35 is grounded if the usa says so? like the software doesn’t work

also if it's raining

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

err posted:

Can I walk away from Omelas?

The ODF advised people to walk away and then bombed all the roads leaving Omelas.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Regarde Aduck posted:

Again, why even entertain this when there is footage where you can hear the large ordnance whoosh in with speed and precision. Unless the shrapnel had the sound profile of say, a 1000lb jdam.

Look, it's very simple, Hamas has magic superrockets where the shrapnel first teleports an ammunition depot into the basement of its target and then blows it up.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

...in a way

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Nichael posted:

:same:

Take care of yourself, and try to do positive stuff. This topic has really hosed me up.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

For I was hungry and you denied me food
For I was thirsty and you cut off my water
For I was sick and okay seriously what the gently caress

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Karach posted:

Is there any precedent to the use of the term "humanitarian pause?" is this so they're not technically calling for a ceasefire?

It's a pause in humanitarianism so that the genocide can proceed.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Ringo Roadagain posted:

a week passed since they bombed a hospital so they can do the we are the light and they are the dark thing again lol

More like an hour

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

smarxist posted:

oh wow. a un resolution

Fortunately there's no way one country could just veto it or anything.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Honky Mao posted:

You have one hour before it turns into a Hamas misfire

I can't believe Hamas had their headquarters underneath that refugee camp too

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

BREAKING: Hamas used time machine to prevent other time travelers from killing baby Hitler

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Riddler: RIDDLE ME THIS, BATMAN! WHEN IS AN AMBULANCE, NOT AN AMBULANCE!

Hamas: We've talked about you stealing our ideas, American scum

Riddler: Of course, my mistake. Ahem. WHEN IS A PRESCHOOL NOT A

Hamas: NOW LOOK

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Calibanibal posted:

IDF uncovers evidence that Hamas was trying to produce yellow cake

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Al! posted:

are you loving kidding me lmao

first as tragedy, then as farce, then as tragedy and farce at the same time

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

fosborb posted:

gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Al-Saqr posted:

https://twitter.com/antonioguterres/status/1732457928496496793?s=20

I dont know what the hell this article 99 or whatever thing is and if it's signficant in any way.

From what I can tell, it's basically a very formal and forceful DO SOMETHING