Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007
Holy hookrat Sally smoking crack in the alley!

Caladan, probably. Maybe Geidi Prime too, if they're including Feyd's arena fight. Those would need enough exterior shots that you'd want a real world base.

Goon, dessert planet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007

Maud'Dab

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007

Barsoom, Red planet

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007

Yeah the Guild guys are posing as mere envoys but are in fact Navigators / high up in the Guild.

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007

Yeah the range of articulation that's spelled out in the texts points to something very bird like, at least in the wings:

https://twitter.com/AlexJayBrady/status/900749820306087940
More good stuff in the artstation link.

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007

SniperWoreConverse posted:

Dune, by Jim Davis

"Muad'diiiiiiiiiiiiiiib !!!"

03/04/10191

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007

https://i.imgur.com/9z9NdUa.gifv

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

I always found it odd how whatever mentat school/s there are don't seem to be relevant political entities compared to the various other transhuman training facilities.

They sort of are, at least in the short term. They're the elite intellectual class that perpetuates the status quo by advising and guiding the ruling class: They provide a base-level of competency to each House, and thus (by continuous competition) damp out wild swings in House power.

Mentats are somewhat rare - presumably the schools don't produce many, to keep prices high. It's a successful tactic (mentats are expensive, prominent, and respected), but a poor long term strategy. Because they will all serve separate masters, mentats aren't taught to cooperate. Because they all have the same goal of increasing the power of their patron House, the vast majority of their collective intellect and analytical potential is cancelled out, one scheme / counter-scheme at a time. They can't plan more than a generation or two ahead, because they aren't the ultimate decision makers. They end up being (subtle, ingenious) crabs in a bucket. And so ultimately, not that important.

Re: BG and the Guild being the only truly important institutions, I guess Mohaim is thinking in terms of deep time and the future of humanity. She knows BG is on a mission to produce a god. The Guild could be as well, given their prescience and mastery of fundamental mathematics/physics. Mentats simply elevate the machinations of the various Houses - they aren't doing anything truly constructive with their skill. Same with Ix, the Sardaukar, etc. They're domain experts, but they're deploying those skills for the limited goal of economic gain, taking the system as it exists for granted and competing for its spoils. BG are using the system for their own ends, reshaping it as they see fit.

As it turns out (at least in the first novel), the Guild wasn't living up to its potential. Their limited prescience and focus on their monopoly led them to always choose the safest route, and they stagnated as an organization a long time ago. But they're so secretive that even BG doesn't know it.

Prolonged Panorama fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Sep 20, 2018

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007

thatfatkid posted:

Children of Dune sucks rear end.

ok but Wensicia is still a really cool name. Too bad about her son.

edit: I feel like Dune names are either really awesome and evocative, easy 9 or 10/10s... or they're flatly stupid 1/10s. Bijaz. Bijaz. Not many names fall in the middle.

Prolonged Panorama fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Sep 22, 2018

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007

Jesus In A Can posted:

Don't talk about the breaker of habit that way.

Harq al-Ada is a great name! And he's a fine character. But drat, Farad'n is a dumb name.

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007

Milkfred E. Moore posted:

at least tell me how you're planning on training the dang things

The scene where the tigers eat the dude who was training them is so strange and out of place. The image of the guy frantically trying to use his remote to call them off or whatever, as they bound towards him after completing their final test run... it's like something out of a bad James Bond screenplay. RIP dumbass henchman, we knew how you would die the second you stepped on screen.

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYYjJ8Vdz_A

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007

Yeah the Atreides troops fall back to caves in the Shield Wall during the Harkonnen attack, and then are trapped in the caves by artillery fire, which collapses the cave mouths.

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007

Why walk without rhythm

https://i.imgur.com/qWbezHP.gifv

when you can ride without fucks given?

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007

phasmid posted:

Because Shai Hulud travels faster than a sled and has a mouth three hundred feet in diameter.

yeah but what if you surfed on the ever-cresting sandwave of the Maker

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007

DebonaireD posted:

I wonder what a modern fx house would do with it, because it is ultimately a really jarring and unnatural looking image, a giant worm in the sand. You can't have the millions of little things happening look of star wars or avengers movies, its just a big worm and lots of dust.

With Villeneuve at the helm, I'm looking forward to it. He (and or his DOP) knows how to make use of atmosphere, haze, weather, and lighting to make things moody and vast. See BR2049 and Arrival. The trick is that you build a hyper-detailed scene and then obscure almost all of it, except the parts that give the most vital information and make for the most striking image. The viewer feels and infers the detail, which is 100x better than seeing it plainly.

DebonaireD posted:

Some of the sets look really extravagant and expensive, like the emperor's throne room or the palace hallways on caladan, but the worms always looked like a 4 foot long tube on a little sand pit.

They're beautiful sets, but lit and shot so blandly that they look like expensive sets instead of real places. They show too much.

Prolonged Panorama fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Dec 2, 2018

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007

Speaking of Navigators and Guild ships, and the general lack of Dune fanart:

I'm in the planning phase on a series of images, or potentially a short CG film, based on the Atreides move from Caladan to Arrakis. The focus will be space scenes - the planets and the ships. I'm redesigning all the ships, so nothing will look like it does in either the Lynch film or the miniseries.

I'm aiming for semi-plausible retro-future designs, and I don't want to contradict anything laid out in the original novel. So the Atreides frigates have to at least look like they can survive atmospheric reentry, and stand on end for launch / landing. To me that suggests a generally tapering delta shape, and my current thoughts are towards something like stone hand axes or arrowheads for their overall form.

The Guild ship design is much more open ended - we're told almost nothing about them, except that they're big. They don't enter atmosphere, so there's no aerodynamic considerations. Dune was written before containerization of shipping was widespread, so I don't want to reference modern cargo ship designs. I'm leaning towards something like an empty nautilus shell: you've got a big gaping "mouth" for the comparatively tiny frigates to fly in to, the mathematical/temporal connotations of the fractal spiral, the series of chambers walling off increasingly secret spaces/cargoes toward the core, a faceless/anonymous/alien feel, with no obvious front or top or or bridge. Also maybe the idea that the ship grows over time, adding chambers to accommodate more cargo over decades or millennia. Possibly every guild ship is unique, and built around different mathematical principles. All they really need is internal volume.

Feedback welcome. Anyone else got ideas for what this stuff should look/feel like?

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007

Vlex posted:

That sounds awesome, and as an archaeologist I dig the handaxe idea.

Thanks! Any chance you can tell me what the odds of this handaxe I bought in early 2016 (for $235) from fossilshack.com being a modern fake are? I don't have any reason to suspect that it is, and I've only read good things on the internet about the seller (seems to be a mostly one man operation). I just know there are fakes out there, and I've been meaning to ask somebody about it. Here's the current version of the page I bought from, obviously the stock is different, but back then it was also just 10 or so pieces for sale. https://www.fossilshack.com/store/c12/axes

I'm not a collector or anything, I just read in a novel that it was possible to buy ancient tools and it sounded like the coolest thing (it is, I ditched the frame and keep it on my desk). It's the only thing like this I own.

The color is a more uniform and deeper red that it looks like in the pictures. X,X00,000 years old or not, this is one of my design inspirations. And it (supposedly) came from the desert!

John Harris owns. The massive scale, the stark 60s/70s designs, the clouds/fog/haze that obscure just enough to keep you wondering... He'd be perfect for Villeneuve's films, I hope they reach out to him.

But yeah, that's definitely the direction I'm hoping to go in too.

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007

George Washington

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007

Glenn Vermont

Michael Alaska

Brady Nevada

Prolonged Panorama fucked around with this message at 12:09 on Feb 3, 2019

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007

What are they going to call the two films?

The first one could just be Dune, but that doesn't indicate that it's only half the story. The second part could be Dune Part II or something similar. That seems lame and generic though, and it's mildly awkward to have a subtitle for the second but not the first, given that we know from that start that there will be two. Dune Part I doesn't have much zing to it, and it's not like the final 2-part Harry Potter or Hunger Games films, where there was already an established series, built-in fanbase, and a history of subtitles in the franchise to begin with.

They could do a non-numeric subtitle, but I don't know what you'd use. The novel is divided in to three Books (Dune, Maud'Dib, The Prophet), but there's no way a studio is going to release something called Dune: Maud'Dib. Maybe you could do Dune and Dune: Prophet, with the hopes of later making Dune Messiah and having it be consistent. Or they could piss off the fans by calling the second film Dune Messiah even though it's presumably only the second half of the first novel.

You could go for a phrase instead, but what? Dune and Dune: Arrakis Rising? Eh. Dune: The Arrakis Revolt? Blah. Everything I can think of is either cheesy and generic, or would never work to bring in a wide audience.

I'd suggest Dune 10191 and Dune 10193. It's not as good as calling the first one just Dune, but it avoids any confusion (and maybe legal troubles?) with the 1984 film and makes both subtitles work together to tell you a little more about the films (it's the far future, dudes) without being hella generic, cheesy, or even mildly spoilery. If they reveal both titles at once, the two year jump also makes a sort of promise to the audience - "we didn't randomly split this thing in half, there's a small but significant time-skip, things come to a thrilling conclusion relatively soon."

I also feel like it would add the sort of fake-historical gravitas that permeates the original novel, with all of Irulan's epigraphs, written after the galactic significance of the events you're reading about are obvious. Like calling two films 1939 and 1945. But maybe that's just me.

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007

DUNE and DUNES

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007

The Baron did kinda break the meta by spamming Tier I field artillery while excessively bribing the supposedly neutral faction to lend him some Tier IV heavy infantry.

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007

Johnny Aztec posted:

DUNE: I HATE SAND!

that''s the first one though. Then,

DUNE: IT* GETS EVERYWHERE!
*Paul's Other Memory

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007

Yueh's conditioning is compromised because he hates the Baron and wants him dead (which is Suk Taboo #1). His wife is the initial handle, but the infinite regress of knowing that the Baron knows that Yueh's hate for him is subverting his conditioning is what does him in. The Baron courts Yueh's hatred and sets up a scenario where he knows that Yueh will twist his own code to get close enough to try to kill him. Yueh's conditioning won't let him do it himself, but he can convince himself that he's killing the Baron through Leto. The Baron expects this ploy, in some form, but he still gets what he wants so it's worth the risk.

It is deeper than "kidnapped your wife lol," and it's a good display of how devious and self aware the Baron is.

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007

basic hitler posted:

I really didn't love Sting's Feyd. I get the impression he probably cost too much to film because he's barely there until it's time to duel Paul whereas he kinda gets his own thread in the book and it felt like a lovely waste of a character compromised to try and hook general audiences in with a dumb celebrity cameo

With two films they almost definitely have time for Feyd's arena fight, and I would hope they fit in the Fenrings too. The whole climax depends on them both being believable threats.

The fight with Jamis seems like a good ending for film 1, and then Feyd in the arena is a natural opening for film 2.

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007

~ 230th, 10191 is only the After Guild portion. Herbert gives "110 centuries" between "mankind's [first] movement through deep space" and the Jihad, and the Guild is founded ~200 years after the start of the Jihad. Debatable whether the "movement through deep space" has happened in our actual history yet, if you assume it hasn't that pushes the dates further in to the future.

edit: this is from the appendices of the original novel.

Prolonged Panorama fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Feb 16, 2019

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007

Leto II mentions it too, but in Children:

But that too would change as lx had changed. For they were merely the ninth planet of their sun, and had even forgotten the language which had given them their name.

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007

A domed city would be something like a massive public works project, which seems pretty alien to the feudal society in Dune. The upper classes already have more water than they strictly need, the working rabble aren't literally dying of thirst en masse, so what's the point? Who puts up the funding?

The fremen do close-cycle as much as they can, with doorseals and such, but their society is structured differently. They have a concept of the common good that's grown out of their common necessity.

As for using a grounded frigate as a temporary base, that's exactly what the Baron does during the initial attack. Also what the Emperor et al does at the end. But they have to do that out on the landing field, which has to be somewhat away from the city center. It'd be pretty bad optics/politics for the incoming Atreides to live in a space ship outside the city instead of at least nominally among the people, given their slightly more egalitarian outlook. It seems like the Duke had some plans to make Arrakeen less terrible, but we never get to find out what they were.

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007

The Guild guys are hiding their eyes because they're pretending to be middlemen, but are actually high ranking navigators. Their eyes would betray them, and the fact that they are not there as neutral observers with nothing much to lose.

I'm interested to see what they do with the eyes. A strict interpretation would mean most of the characters end up looking like Sam Weber's painting of Alia:

With maybe a bit more deep blue saturation. Everyone looking like demons might not play very well, though. I'm sure some background Fremen will have very dark eyes (and Piter, maybe) but I imagine for the leads they'll tone it down so they can still look sympathetic and expressive.

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007

"This is a carryall," Hawat said. "It's essentially a large 'thopter, whose sole function is to deliver a factory to spice-rich sands, then to rescue the factory when a sandworm appears. They always appear. Harvesting the spice is a process of getting in and getting out with as much as possible."

See also the big troop carrier 'thopter that holds ~300 men, and is kamikaze'd by a captured regular 'thopter:

Another 'thopter glided in over the cliff wall above Hawat. He drew in a sharp breath as he saw it - a big troop carrier. It flew with the slow, spreadwing heaviness of a full load--like a giant bird coming to its nest. ... The troop carrier settled toward the patch of blue-clad bodies. Its wings crept out to full reach, began the cupping action of a quick stop. Hawat's attention was caught by a flash of sun on metal to the south, a 'thopter plummeting there in a power dive, wings folded flat against its sides, its jets a golden flare against the dark silvered gray of the sky. ... Straight into the carrier the diving 'thopter plunged.

All birds. They got hella material science in the Duniverse.

It's true that spacecraft don't have to consider aerodynamics, but carryalls aren't spacecraft. I think the only pure spacecraft mentioned in the novel are Guild heighliners.

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007

Kalima 467 posted:

From "water" does all life begin.

edit: lame snipe, have some art.

Paul

The Duke

Jessica

Gurney

Duncan

Hawat

Yueh

all by Even Amundsen

Prolonged Panorama fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Mar 20, 2019

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007

Ron Cobb's ornithopter for Jodorowsky is the best insect-ish design I've seen. Jodo didn't like it - "too NASA, too American."

But yeah the thopter Paul and Jessica ride through the storm has "wind scream[ing] through the lapped coverts and primaries," which are bird feathers irl.

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007

D. Ebdrup posted:

These designs are cool, but from the scene where Paul and Jessica start up the thopter they get into after having met Liet Kynes in the desert and him deciding to help them, isn't that thopter described as being capable of VTOL?

Almost:

The wings were at full spread-rest, their delicate metal interleavings extended. He touched the retractor bar, watched the wings shorten for jet-boost take-off the way Gurney Halleck had taught him. The starter switch moved easily. Dials on the instrument panel came alive as the jetpods were armed. Turbines began their low hissing. ... Paul depressed the glowing action-sequence switch on his panel. The wings snapped back and down, hurling the 'thopter [forward] out of its nest. Power surged from the jetpods as the wings locked into lift attitude.

In this case the wings flap once, hard, on takeoff, and then lock in to a more familiar static wing as the pods provide the thrust. When the Duke, Paul, Gurney, and Kynes go out to inspect spice harvesting, the Duke takes off in a similar way, flapping the wings twice to get airborne in ten meters, then locking the wings and using the jets to reach altitude. Later the wings extend fully and flap for thrust. Thopters can look and behave just like traditional aircraft, and do when the situation calls for it. But they can also do very short takeoffs, very short landings, non-jet flight, sharp maneuvers with wings pulled short, efficient gliding with extended wings, dive like a hawk, etc all because the wings are very finely articulated.

Yeah that just looks like knockoff Avatar, where the design totally made sense and worked. Modern "realistic" sci-fi style is terrible for Dune - it was written way before that style and aesthetics crystallized (around 1986, Aliens) and was deliberately anachronistic even then. Retro-retro-future is what it needs. Fortunately Villeneuve accomplished something similar in BR2049, believably evolving a retro-future vision further along its own diverging path.

And Villeneuve's not in love with technology like Cameron is, either - he's content to let it be an incidental part of the world, and he doesn't feel the need to make everything at least semi-plausible. That looser style should help him capture the dreamy feel of Dune.

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007

Dumpy dudes in gray robes wearing contacts.

But they don't really need to be shown at all, honestly. It's a cool mystery in the setting, and it'd make Edric's reveal that much more impactful if they get to Messiah. It'd be more interesting to experience the journey completely through Paul's eyes.

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007

exmachina posted:

I agree with the second point but don't Navigators have loving gills?

Not in the original novel. Paul speculates near the beginning that maybe nobody has ever seen a Navigator because they're mutated. Then at the end of the book, two regular looking dudes in gray posing as envoys for the Guild are revealed (by Paul) to be Navigators. They have almost black eyes because of their total spice addiction (which they conceal with contacts), but that's all. They are with the Emperor when the final battle happens, and are there at the very end when Paul duels Feyd. Paul's threat to destroy all spice production is delivered to them, and it's what keeps the huge combined fleet/army of the Houses in orbit.

In Messiah we meet a mutated Navigator, floating in a tank of spice gas:

"The Guildsman was an elongated figure, vaguely humanoid with finned feet and hugely fanned membranous hands -- a fish in a strange sea. His tank's vents emitted a pale orange cloud rich with the smell of the geriatric spice, melange. [...] Edric took this moment to pop a melange pill into his mouth. He ate the spice and breathed it and, no doubt, drank it [...] the bold stare, those monstrous feet and hands moving softly in the gas, the smoky swirling of orange eddies around him. She would wonder about his sex habits, thinking how odd it would be to mate with such a one. Even the fieldforce generator which recreated for Edric the weightlessness of space would set him apart from her now"

I'm going to guess that if we see a mutated Navigator at all, Villeneuve is going to keep them mostly shrouded in gas, and we'll get only hints at the extent of their mutation. See the heptapods in Arrival.

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007

He searched through the Emperor's suite until he saw the faces of the two Guildsmen, spoke aside to Gurney. "Are those the Guild agents, Gurney, the two fat ones dressed in gray over there?"
"Yes, m'Lord."
"You two," Paul said, pointing. "Get out of there immediately and dispatch messages that will get that fleet on its way home. After this, you'll ask my permission before --"
"The Guild doesn't take your orders!" the taller of the two barked. He and his companion pushed through to the barrier lances, which were raised at a nod from Paul. The two men stepped out and the taller leveled an arm at Paul, said: "You may very well be under embargo for your --"
"If I hear any more nonsense from either of you," Paul said, "I'll give the order that'll destroy all spice production on Arrakis . . . forever."
"Are you mad?" the tall Guildsman demanded. He fell back half a step.
"You grant that I have the power to do this thing, then?" Paul asked.
The Guildsman seemed to stare into space for a moment, then: "Yes, you could do it, but you must not."
"Ah-h-h," Paul said and nodded to himself. "Guild navigators, both of you, eh?"
"Yes!"

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007

To be fair, that's weirdo Scytale imagining thoughts in Irulan's head.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007

Atreides battle language works the same way.