Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Paul ended up not actually being the real Kwisatz Haderach :ssh: don't tell anybody.

And how can this be?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
I live in a hot and dusty sort of a town, and that bit at the start of Dune where the Atreides soldiers are complaining about never having showers ever again, always makes me profoundly uncomfortable.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
I've been wondering about Mentats (and also the BG with their prana bindu and so on.) Are these guys biologically the same as us regular humans, but with a whole lot of training and weird chemicals on board? Or are they actually genetically distinct from what we'd call human?

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
I wonder too if the Empire having a population of- hundreds of billions? Trillions?- helps in producing plenty of those edge-of-the-bell-curve people.
Anyway if I lived in the dune universe, I'm pretty sure id be a dirt farmer or a slave or a corpse or something. All thr plots within schemes within conspiracies stuff is just exhausting!

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
I've only read DUNE. Well I did read one of the other ones, with a giant man-worm who talked a lot, but I read it during a two-day anxiety attack occassioned by procrastinating over a job interview, so my memory of it is a bit hazy.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

BONGHITZ posted:

if you experience anxiety all of the time, is it like being a mentat?

Yes, but like a really low-quality mentat who didn't quite turn out right, and only offers mediocre advice.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Queer is the mind killer. Queer is the little-death that brings annihilation.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
I've read the sand worm biology section of the Dune appendix a dozen times and still can't quite get my head around it. The trout and the worms eat krill and the krill eat spice scraps and the spice scraps come from worms and the worms come from a bunch of trout coming together to smush moisture into a big biologically super active ball of water and dead trout? Or something? Help

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

dis astranagant posted:

Smallish groups of sandtrout under certain conditions combine to make a "little maker", an infant sandworm. Big groups of sandtrout encysting a lot of water form a pre-spice mass, which eventually explodes in a rain of spice and sandtrout gore.

Okay, that works. Why do the trout encyst water? Is it an instinctive thing to help out the makers, or because they need water....?
Regardless, it is a cool and nicely alien ecosystem.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Dubloon, pirate planet

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Dume, typo planet

e: Dun, finished planet

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
I can show you the Worm,
shining, shimmering, splendiiiid...

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Murray Mantoinette posted:

Shaddam:
I hate every Paul I see
From Atreid-As to Atrei-Ds
Oh they've finally smashed my army

Yes we've finally smashed his army

Yes they've finally smashed them all
At Aaaa-raaaaa-keeeeeen!
I love you, Dr. Yueh!

Well, you've displayed more creativity and respect for the source material than @DuneAuthor.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
I really like the implications of the floating telepathic space foetus being named, not a Final Stage Navigator, but a Third Stage Navigator. There might be further stages, that make the FTSF look normal...

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
A third stage girl navigator

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
I require every Guild member to be played by Jermaine Clement

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Pham Nuwen posted:

And when you're in the sietch
depending on the sietch
I bet you are definitely in the top three
good lookin' girls in the sietch
(depending on the sietch)

Stillsuited girls in the sietch
(Defending in the sietch)

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Years of weird breeding programs mean that pugs already have difficulty breathing and walking. I hate to think what a Harkonnen-bred pug would look like. Presumably rather like something from the excellent "image breeder" thread here in GBS.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

rndmnmbr posted:

I don't remember where I got these, but I think they're pretty neat.

These are great. It must be frustrating for an artist to have an imagination like this, when there is so much mediocre character design stuff out there...

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Is that one where it says something along the lines of "there's something so important in the development of religion that it can only be written this way:
S P A C E T R A V E L !"
Cos it's a fairly jarring change of tone (albeit pretty funny)

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

AFewBricksShy posted:

Because I'm bored this morning, here's the casts of the Lynch version, the SciFi series and the new one. I've done my best to try and get pictures for the new one that are close-ish to the roles they are playing.

You are a good person. Thanks!

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Johnny Aztec posted:

Only in terms of a person is a big bag of walking water that they can squeeze dry.
What's that line about young Paul looking at palm trees in the capital, and thinking about how many peoples-worth of water each one uses up?
Reading Dune is a great experience, except that it always leaves me craaaaaving a shower and a big glass of mineral water. Is it the same for everyone, or just for those of us who live on the edge of deserts already?

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Temaukel posted:

Tell me of the waters of your homeworld, Usul Defiance Industries.

I do actually want this question answered...

It's weird, watching movies after growing up in a stupidly dry part of the planet. Hollywood etc likes to use rainfall as a cue for "be sad now" whereas for us, rain means new hope.
"See? Littlefoot's parents are dead, but all is not lost!"

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Temaukel posted:

Here, I found the quote:

:smith:

Yeah, that's more depressing than I remember.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Who's down for some Fremen showering ASMR

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

exmachina posted:

I mean that with the exception of the sandrider test and the water of life scene, almost everything in the book happens inside the 'artic circle' of arrakis.

Do the books mention the really long days and nights that come from living at one of the poles? Or is that a thing that only happens on a tilted planet like earth?
Astronomy is hard.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Just realised that they are going to sell thousands of those @duneauthor books by slathering the covers in stills from the new movie, and writing the "dune" bit really big and the rest of the title really small.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
The image of a duke slain in a bullfight is extraordinarily rich in cultural and literary allusions, evoking savagery, heroism, tradition and danger but lets mske it a cool robo bull from planet hedsmasha 13 !! !

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Zopotantor posted:

No true Fremen would expose that much skin, kill him before he wastes more of the tribe's water.

His unplugged tear ducts are an affront to the sietch.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Milkfred E. Moore posted:

well, isn't there a whole bunch of things going on there?

you've got lasguns, shields and the holtzman effect or whatever. okay, people can't use shields on arrakis due to worms, but it seems like there isn't much unrestricted do-or-die warfare in the dune universe. i think mention is made in the first book that war is more about assassins and covert operations than pitched battles, and when open warfare rolls about it's basically regulated by the emperor and the guild. so, why go to all the trouble of manufacturing firearms for one planet?

I wonder if the messed-up slow rate of technological change in the dune universe has an effect on this stuff too.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

kiimo posted:

Fremen would never waste water by jerking off.

Unrelated, Fremen are extremely angry and violent by nature.

But stillsuits are designed to capture the body's fluids and recycle them into water to drink and aaaaaa

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

kiimo posted:

Replaying the entirety of David Lynch's Dune in my head with the knowledge that all fremen are currently getting head from their stillsuit at all times while they speak.

"Usul...has called a biiiiIIIIIIIGGG one...again it is the...legendddd"

"They said your were dead. They saaaaiiiiddddd...YOU YOUNG PUP"

Mmmm, shaaaai huluuuuddd

kiimo posted:

Do not speak aloud of the breeding program

Producing the kwizatz haderach of one-handed typing, Peter F Hamilton.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Doc Hawkins posted:

canonically this is only during water of life ceremonies which they do...monthly? weekly?

And their Reverend Mother says it's mostly to make up for how dreadful their lives are anyway. Which makes sense.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Yo mama so fat, she dwells in the graben, sink and pan all at the same time

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Wow. I really like Kynes as a berber-landschnekt space gardener.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Prolonged Priapism posted:

The measure of a truly faithful adaptation is Feyd in bell bottoms.

That line always stuck in my head for some reason. Worlds beyond imagining, with just a hint of mid century smart casual men's fashion.

Temaukel posted:

We need an :eyepop: of Paul

A "kull wahad"

Tree Bucket fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Apr 2, 2019

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
A nerd question (surely not): to what extent is Dune to blame for the annoying sci-fi trope of each planet consisting of a single biome? Obviously Herbsy cared about ecology and was careful to give Arrakis distinct polar/temperate/equatorial zones, but later writers and film makers really seem to have run with the "desert planet" idea. And the water planet and the ice planet and the forest planet..... Can anyone more well-versed in nerd lore explain if this was a common thing in media before Dune came along?

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Venus is definitely an entertaining case of assumptions from appearance going all the way back to antiquity turning out to be more amazingly wrong than anyone could have guessed.

And it all made so much sense! Venus could be the lush, primitive, primordial world. Mars could be cold and ancient and filled with the lost secrets of a dying race. Earth of course is somewhere in between...
Still, I want my Venusian dinosaurs, dammit.

Mister Speaker posted:

totes mcgotes

I'm re-reading the book now and the part where Jessica and Paul get ambushed by Stilgar's troop is honestly loving hilarious. The description of Jessica using the Weirding Way is so strange and vague that you're not really sure how she bested Stilgar, Stil is dropping mad disses on Jamis and going "Aiee-e-e-e!" while she's got him by the neck, and then he's just really stoked that she might teach him and his boys how to Weird.

I love the books but honestly, Frank's narration style is loving bizarre at times.

The boy bested you! The woman bested me! But I bested you! Which means the woman could have bested you! You've all been bested! She is the bestedest.
All interspersed with the "don't move! aieee! I told you not to move!" bit repeated about seven times...

You know, after meeting my family members from noted arid hellhole Broken Hill, I'm pretty certain that desert-dwellers don't actually use insults like "sand-lice." They just sort of swear a lot. It sounds mostly like "yaarffnnarrkknncaahh."

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Phi230 posted:

Chani! You spawn of a lizard! Get down from there!

I know, lizards don't even have spawn! That's frogs.

This is perfect, what is it from???

Temaukel posted:

There are ways to use other spectrum of light and see whats under the clouds. Astronomers have made very high res composites of the surface, and combined it with topographical data to make 3d models. What I'm saying is Venus is Salusa Secundus:

It's even the second planet from its star. All the pieces fit!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
The splendid irony of a man spending his career writing about generations of super-men with inherited powers.... while his own offspring lack any of his own abilities.