Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

AppleDan posted:

That will be 75% of your deaths in this game, have fun

It really won't.

Edit: I still don't understand why there seems to be no lag cap. It shouldn't match you to a server with more than 200ms.

Edit 2:Choco announced he will be a full time streamer shortly.
Not surprised to hear his day job was teaching kids, there's something about the way he speaks that gives it away.

Hippie Hedgehog fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Dec 28, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

That's not an aim hack at least. I'm not sure how you think he/she's cheating.

In the death cam, players' aim is quantized to save bandwidth or server memory or something, ie it's approximate. That's why all aiming looks a little weird in death cam.

E:f, b.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Xenaero posted:

Third game in a row I got headshot instantly by some Chinese name with no match history

What region do they play on least?

Never ran into it yet, on Europe FPP. I guess they're all in bed by the time I start playing? Plus their lag would be worse than vs the US.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

abigserve posted:

There is no way, in that clip, that guy isn't using aims. The death cams aiming is off but not by that much, the dude is obviously tracking him through the wall and the barrier. Before he ads's the first time his crosshairs are already on the exact spot the guy was, which is how he's able to simply lean out and continue tracking him. Not to mention there is no vertical movement of the crosshair while he does so.

He doesn't look to be tracking the opponent's real position to me, he's might just as well be moving the mouse between the two likely peek spots. When he peeks, boom. Same as any player would do in a peek battle. I still say the jaggedness of the movement is throwing you off, it's just a guy predicting where the head's gonna appear and being right.

Edit: It does look dubious and I'm not saying it's not a hack, I'm just saying it's hard to distinguish that clip from someone making a legitimate kill and if I was overwatching this game I would not ban someone with that as the only evidence.

Also, please don't take this as me saying hackers are not a big problem in PUBG. Just that the quoted clip is not the best example.

(The player might be removed already? No data on "spicychiggs" on this stats tracker I found... https://pubg.me/player/spicychiggs )

Hippie Hedgehog fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Jan 1, 2018

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Elman posted:

Is it best to stay near the edge of the circle or somewhere closer to the middle? Assuming there's a vehicle available, I mean. Both options seem viable but I don't know if there's a better choice here.

Matter of preference I guess. If everyone went for the middle, that one little shack would be a bloodbath. Chocotaco always goes close to the center in a defensible building but he's a much better player and is always looking for a fight. When I play his way I get killed so quickly.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

abigserve posted:

Rushing a house in the centre early on is the best strategy though if you get lucky on loot on the drop as long as you don't mind a snooze festival!

For lack of a better plan, if you are great at clicking man heads, then the drive to a central building will likely involve spotting a care package drop or a nearby gunfight which are good opportunities for non-snoozefesting.

Hippie Hedgehog fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Jan 2, 2018

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?
So this weird thing happened today...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VH2yowFLi-Q

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Nice clips!

I had some trouble with my GeForce Experience settings, otherwise I would have treated you to a nice and quiet jetski tour around the islands east of Miramar, followed by a leap off the lighthouse cliff.

BTW, in case anyone's wondering, the loot up there is nothing special, same as the mainland.

I hope the three guys I left on the first island had a nice firefight before the last one died to the zone.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Thom P. Tiers posted:

Those three islands rule, particularly the farthest north one. Always some lvl3 gear and kar98's. Also if the boat/ski doesnt spawn you can swim pretty easily, although it takes a couple minutes. I've never died to the blue landing there.

Went back to them today, and meh. I was lucky, the islands were in the first circle. This is the result of looting the entire north island which I had to myself. Note the lack of lv3 gear, no SR and not much meds. Found two ARs, kept this one. I maintain the islands have the same level loot as the other towns.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Drape Culture posted:

How do you deal with anyone further than 100m being about 2 pixels high? Should I be buying a 32" 4k monitor for a video game? (If you say yes, I'm citing this post when my wife yells at me)

What do you have currently?

Edit: Had my second solo chicken dinner ever tonight. Landed in a stupid spot but was really lucky with circle RNG and enemy movement. The single compound left in the circle was uncontested with 12 players left alive - everyone else must have been morons I guess? Or just enjoy hiding in bushes?
Only one guy tried to rush my position (out of the blue, and easy kill), and then it was 1v1.

Also, I hate the guy who had shot out a wheel on every vehicle he passed. Don't be that guy. (I am usually that guy, so I guess I had it coming.)

Hippie Hedgehog fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Jan 6, 2018

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

il serpente cosmico posted:

This kind of sucks. Whenever I see someone getting repeated headshots with an SKS in the killfeed, I just assume they're cheating at this point. Is Battle Eye effectively worthless?

ILL Machina posted:

"Reports currently only work against the player who killed you. You don't have to keep footage, although you can submit video evidence to us via our official forum as a separate report. (link: https://goo.gl/tvUt4E) goo.gl/tvUt4E -H"

That forum link is down though, it seems maybe they use this site for manual reports now?
https://pubgsupport.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/115004140933-I-want-to-report-a-user-who-is-cheating

Hippie Hedgehog fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Jan 6, 2018

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Drape Culture posted:

24" 1080 LED, nothing incredibly fancy.

Should be perfectly fine. I have the same size one and I consider myself pretty able to spot enemies on it - but then I'm constantly proven wrong on that point by getting killed a lot. I'm sure a higher rez could help but the kind of rig you need to drive it is more than I want to spend on shooting mans.

Do you watch any good players on streams? If not, consider doing that - their movement patterns and the way they clear a building or ambush players could probably teach you a lot.

One of the thread favorites, Chocotaco, is a nice chill dude with a tremendous ability to spot people. Pay close attention to how he enters and exits buildings, how he uses cover, what he hears, etc.
Especially when playing duos, he's usually pretty good at stating what cues he is hearing, and he pick them up long before I do. He probably has sound turned up real high.

https://www.twitch.tv/chocotaco/

A question of my own, how the heck do I avoid shooting windowsills like I did here? It looks to me like the bullets are registering way too low. I should have hit him with the first SCAR-L spray.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwqrRpriU4s&t=252s

Edit: vvvvv By "collateral" we usually mean "someone killed incidentally, a necessary sacrifice". Did you mean "concurrently"? Yes, it's possible but shouldn't you see something relevant in the kill cam?

Hippie Hedgehog fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Jan 6, 2018

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Thom P. Tiers posted:

:shrug:

It had three lvl3 helmets this time.

That's not half bad! Luck of the draw, I guess.
Worth going there if you don't mind a slow start.

I think the next map should be snowy Austrian alps, with old castles and monasteries, some lakes etc. Abandoned ski resort. Huts. Resort hotels.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Imagine ski physics in PUBG. :stonklol:

Snowmobiles.

loving snowmobiles, man.

Edit: Also, snow grooming machines. Slow as hell but you could lift up the front plow to cover the windshield and make it bulletproof.

Also, hang gliders. And instead of ghillie suit you have winter camo.

Hippie Hedgehog fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Jan 7, 2018

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

esperterra posted:

I would get it every so often on 1.0, but now it's nearly every Miramar drop.

e: a lot of it is my old PSU + my HDD being slow as balls, but it's def gotten worse in the past week.

Yeah I had the same problem on Miramar when I had the test client installed on an HDD. Definitely worth buying an SSD, even a small one, if you can scrounge up the cash.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

cinci zoo sniper posted:

What's thread take on M4 vs SCAR?

Apparently the SCAR-L is slightly less loud? Yeah that's what WackyJacky claims anyway.
I pick the M4 myself, I like the sound of it and the high rate of fire...

https://youtu.be/_i70Cg5RrR0

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Xenaero posted:

It's likely because previously it had relatively little recoil and sufficient damage to act as both a really good rifle and a good semi-auto sniper rifle, depending on what scope you used. It was so versatile that if the mini had not been so powerful, there would be no reason to take anything but a KAR or a crate gun over an M16.

I guess they wanted one more "disposable" AR in the game apart from the AKM. I.e. they wanted the m16 to be slightly inferior to the M416 just for variety. That means less people will be landing on top of their end-game weapon which is good for making people go fight over better loot.

About the Mini, didn't they nerf it significantly in 1.0? It seems to me the rate of fire is down a lot compared to the SKS.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Kill Dozed posted:

How accurate are the in-game leader boards? I feel like my ranking is way off...

Name one that is more "accurate".

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

recoil up and fire speed down

OK, cool, figured as much. I mean it's still a good weapon but isn't the SKS always preferable now?
(Of course the elite players will prefer the Kar98, but that's for people who can consistently nail headshots.)

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?
Uh.... So ... I might have found my first hacker on EU FPP.
See what you think.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qkQqe5BDXY

Guy has a 20 k/d ratio right now and very few matches, of which he's won 4 / 7.

I guess I don't have a real point to this post, but by the way, why aren't we calling this game "plunkbat"?

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?
What does the red dot on top of the loot crate indicate? What am I supposed to use it for?

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?
Spotted a nearby air drop today, in the water, and no one else was around to jetski out to it. AWM and L3 helmet. Spent the rest of the round looking for a scope. Got my only 2 kills using the SCAR while assaulting&defending a building.
That got me the 4X I needed, then got pinned behind a tree. I got to fire the AWM *once*, a near miss, then I got headshot.

Would be nice to get a kill with that gun once. Does it ever drop with a scope?

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

fadam posted:

What even would the point of region lock be? It doesn't matter what region the other 99/98/96 people in the game are from.

I guess people in NA an OC are tired of Chinese hackers - the word is that most hackers are in China. I'm not sure it would help much though.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

underage at the vape shop posted:

the players with the best aim on the planet take the attachments that help them aim even better is the lesson you should take from that

Not all top level players will skip the suppressor. Especially in solos.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Wooper posted:

These people sure had a lot of trouble finding me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWz36sjEh2Q

They didn't it turns out. Watching the replay the last guy certainly should have but didn't.

Does anyone have actual numbers on hearing distance with suppressors? VulgarAndStupid stated a couple of pages back that SRs can be heard for 1km without suppressor, and ARs 700m.
If that was a 4x scope (it's ACOG so I suppose it was?), I think those guys were no more than 300 meters out - is it possible they couldn't hear your rifle at all at that distance?

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Bouchehog posted:

This is based on the erroneous assumption that suppressors reduce damage, which in this game does not happen: AR Suppressors / SR Suppressors.
Thanks for the numbers on audible distances!

I might add that this is how suppressors work in real life, too. They actually increase the muzzle velocity slightly, due increasing the effective length of the barrel. Ie more of the gas expansion force is used to propel the bullet, and less force is expended sideways at the muzzle. I doubt PUBG model it as a velocity increase but if they did, it would accuracy through less bullet drop.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?
So I tried reporting my cheater on the official channel, the support ticket tracker. I guess the email I got says a lot -- just use the in game report button from now on.

quote:

Hello Survivor,

Thanks for taking time to contact PUBG support.

It looks like you have encountered cheaters/hackers in the game. 

We apologize for the frustration from the experience and our team is working on blocking out those users and cheats and improving our systems to detect those. Unfortunately, it isn't something that can be quickly done, but we assure you that we are focused on removing any users who are creating an unfair gaming environment. 

The best option to report those users is with the in-game report system as that will report these issues directly to our team. 
We ask that you continue to use that system in the game for quicker reporting for any future reports.

We will, however, forward the mentioned issue here to our team to investigate and they will handle the case accordingly with our terms and services.

We will continue to work towards creating a fair gaming environment for all our players and hope that you can continue to enjoy playing our game.

PLAYERUNKNOWN'S BATTLEGROUNDS
---------------------------------------------
NOT JUST A GAME, THIS IS BATTLE ROYALE 

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?
Water Treatment and Power Grid always tend to end with me getting good loot and then lugging it for miles before I can find a vehicle. Once found a motorbike spawn at north end of power grid but that never happened again. Going into Pecado on foot gets old really quick. Water treatment has roads close by with some spawns but it's much less likely to be in the first circle.

Hacienda is just hosed up. It's worse than School at this point because it can have a dozen people drop in such a tiny space. Sure I get kills, but there is no time to heal and luck becomes so important I just skip it now.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

It's those pants that are regrettable!

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Barnsy posted:

Ran into my first blatant hacker in FPP. Dude shot me from 300m through a wall and through some shipping containers full auto. Was rather pissy about it since I was fully geared up with an AWM.

Through stuff? That shouldn't be possible. Can you post video of the death cam or replay? I'd like to see it.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

VulgarandStupid posted:

Why do you think its not possible? It's been possible for a while, and everytime it seemingly is stopped by anti-cheat, it eventually pops up again.

I didn't say I didn't think it's possible - I said it shouldn't be. I mean, clearly it is, I just hadn't seen the "through walls" hack videos before.
As a programmer, it seems like the engine is really to blame. Walls should be solid to the server, and if the client says "here, my guy shot a bullet in this direction", the server should be doing the calculation of where the bullet ends up. The only way this "hack" could work is if the server trusts the client to calculate bullet trajectories, which it shouldn't do and I've not heard of a game that does that in many many years.

I can see how preventing hacks that help people to aim straight for someone's head at 900m involves some complicated programming. That's hack prevention, checking the integrity of the game binaries, preventing outside software from loving with the inputs, making it harder to read of the game's state from memory (to prevent wallhax), noticing impossible movement (like pixel perfect 180 degree spins in one tick) etc. Making sure the server is authoritative with regard to hit calculations should be pretty trivial, by comparison.

Hippie Hedgehog fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Jan 20, 2018

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?
Sounds like gamma adjustment to me. Maybe easier to set up, though?

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Ziploc posted:

What's the main killer of eff pee esses indoors? I feel like I'm taking the biggest hit there.

Do you have the FPS counter enabled? Shift-tab, then on the steam overlay you can enable the FPS counter. Lets you stop guessing and "feeling". ;-)

I have everything set to Very Low, except the following which are on Ultra:
* Textures
* View Distance
* Anti-Aliasing

The rest of the settings are the big resource hogs for me, especially Shadows and Post-processing. I think Foliage is not that important but it's actually easier to spot guys when foliage is low.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Parallel Playa posted:

The steam overlay kills fps

It's showing over 100 for me, so who cares.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?
A silly game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uqh0CsYuAic

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Dodgeball posted:

Someone in the thread had an idea I liked; one I'd like to expand on:

They mentioned instead of parachuting out of plane, have 100 players rappelling down the side of a skyscraper. Once you "deploy," you break the window you're next to and enter the building.

I posit, since a top down mini map would be less useful, you would have a side view of the building, indicating where stairs, elevators and vents are, with an ever-present "you are X floors away from safety" graphic instead. The active play zone would be based off of the floors of the building, with the last zone being one floor. Instead of vehicles, there's window washing gondolas.

Nice idea - I think it's an idea for a new game though.

To go back to the previous discussion about a snow map, I posit the possibility of footsteps/tracks. (Also applicable to desert map.) It would radically change the game, I think in favor of hunters/runners over hiders/campers. At least vehicles ought to leave tracks, except on blacktop/concrete or ice.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

An here I wanted them to add weapons to the Miramar warmup area, too.
How will I practice recoil control now?

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?
I very rarely get the guns that I need practice on in Pecado. :-)

NtotheTC posted:

I've got over 200 games without a win and that's good enough for top 2% solo FPP EU. Getting those last few kills is always tricky

I suppose at the last few circles you're up against top players, and getting killed by them doesn't hurt your ranking too badly. Assuming this ranking system is indeed based on ELO.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

flatluigi posted:

they're doing ping locking which should have the same effect, just generalized.

Did you see an announcement for that? Link?

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Arkangelus posted:

Is there an easy way to distinguish whether footsteps are above or below you? For whatever reason its the one thing I have trouble with. Just based on pitch or..?

Going against the consensus here: I think when a player is indoors and above you, their footsteps sound "bassier", ie the high frequencies are filtered out and a little booming resonance is added to simulate them walking "on your ceiling". I could be wrong though, maybe this effect is added even when they're below you. Anyone with evidence?

As soon as they step outside, the sound is crisp and full of treble again so that's a useful tell at least.

For realism, I think footstep sounds overall should travel somewhat shorter distances, and particularly not through two floors of an apartment complex. I'm not sure if that change would really be a good idea gameplay-wise though.
Window glass could stand to be a little more soundproof, plus it would be cool if when I break a window, more sound travels through.

Hippie Hedgehog fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Jan 25, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Groovelord Neato posted:

miramar is very feast or famine when it comes to vehicles.

I see plenty every game, but I tend to notice them too late, when some other bastard drives off in them.