Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
As far as end of year lists go, I wanted to give a shoutout to THE EXORCIST. It only takes some cues from the movie (Ok, one pretty big one) but the second season is great and it has crazy religious conspiracies which is always up my street. Plus John Cho, who should be in more things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

HorseRenoir posted:

Finished American Vandal and I'm pretty surprised at how much mileage they get out of such a simple comedy sketch premise.

It's so good. It ended up being one of my favourite shows this year. I never thought it would end as poignantly as it did, and it was weird that I saw a few articles asking, 'Who drew the dicks?' since the show all but points the finger at who did it.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Hakkesshu posted:

The chess game metaphor is exactly the kind of thing someone who's smart, but uneducated would come up with. It totally fits the character.

I think it's been overused to a great degree since then. I feel like I've seen so much 'chess as a metaphor' scenes since that show and I don't think it was a particularly new idea to begin with. But the scene works because it's a metaphor that the other characters understand. He's demonstrating it to the other characters in the scene, it's not like he's talking directly to the audience. We just get it by proxy. It's like later on when they have the McDonalds conversation.

Also as for Dan Harmon, it's a little more than 'My boss was mean to me'. Ganz pretty much says that he abused his power with her by praising her writing because he wanted to gently caress her, and then turning on her and what she had written when she didn't reciprocate. That is far more insidious than 'Oh my boss is a dick'.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

One of more annoying 'things that LOST doesn't follow up on' moments is when Ben and Charles Widmore have their conversation and it's loaded with past history and about how one killing the other was against 'the rules' but it's never followed up on. Or the stuff with Jack's dad where it's eventually just decided that he's a form of the smoke monster but that's a huge retcon and doesn't explain his earlier appearances.

Or anything with Walt past Season 2.

I still like the show though. The first season is great and it almost always nailed all of its big turns.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

feedmyleg posted:

What a coincidence, there was an article on LOST on Kotaku 3 days ago with the same talking points.

Lol I'm not touching Kotaku, but I did just finish watching the show again with someone who had never seen it.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think the saga with SOLO is fairly simple: Lawrence Kasdan wrote a script, Lord/Miller do their thing (while also actually shooting Kasdan's script), Kasdan isn't happy that they're not just shooting his script, moans about it to Kennedy who he goes way back with and tells her that they're 'ruining' the movie, arguments ensue and they leave. Disney does the whole 'let's leak stories about how unprofessional they are to the press' thing and that's it (Frank Marshall was definitely the 'close source').

This idea that Lord/Miller are secretly shooting some comedy without Disney knowing is insane. They would've been viewing dailies. To hear them spin it, they were caught off guard.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Mu Zeta posted:

I said Aziz is the one that has to apologize. That said, does she bare absolutely no responsibility for her own actions regarding the blowjob? Overall it's good that people are speaking out and getting the story out there but there's room for nuance too. What power dynamic does he have over her. It's not like Harvey Weinstein promising someone a career for sleeping with him.

Because when you're faced with someone who's likely stronger than you, you sometimes fear what will happen if you don't do the 'right' thing. Maybe consider that you don't know when someone might flip completely and make a situation worse. She's already getting pushy vibes from Ansari and she must've been thinking 'Where does this end?' and 'What can I do to make this situation better?' Maybe she says no and he takes it a step further. Maybe she says no again and it ends with her being forced, or beaten, or worse. You can't be ignorant and handwave away the blowjob while ignoring the much broader context.

Power dynamics go way beyond employer and employee and poo poo like that. They're everyday things.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Steve2911 posted:

This also apparently went down just a few months ago. Have any of the other recent accusations been so recent? It's shocking that this would've happened literal days before #MeToo started.

Yeah when I first read it I thought well maybe it was a while ago and since then he's learned a lot, particularly as that MASTER OF NONE episode addresses this stuff. But nope, this was all after that.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Shageletic posted:

Yeah I wouldnt be rushing in to defend Ansari esp since this feels like the calm before the tide rushes back in. The account made it seem like he's def a predator.

On that note:

https://twitter.com/RaySiegel/status/952399300687953921

A few people have noted that it's likely not the first story that's going to come out about Aziz either.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

raditts posted:

Also pretty goddamn ironic in his case, considering part of season 2 of Master of None was about this very thing.

Maybe he is just completely unaware, and that's being very kind to him. But given that, at least in this account, he was in no way phased by the woman's reluctance or attempted escape I would say that it isn't the first time it's happened.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

HorseRenoir posted:

https://twitter.com/BBW_BFF/status/952415971070828544

https://twitter.com/BBW_BFF/status/952421522886426625

I liked Aziz and this really sucks. Regardless of whether you want to be a rules lawyer about whether that story constituted rape or not, Aziz came off as massively desperate and pathetic in a really gross way. It's doubly gross that he does this stuff while trying to maintain his "brand" as a woke male feminist. I wonder how many else woke male celebrities are going to pull a Louis CK.

Priscilla used to tweet about Franco and Louis too. In addition to not being massive creeps, dudes should probably learn that women do talk to each other.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

nate fisher posted:

Let me be honest, as a teenager back in the 80's good chance I did things as bad as described by his victim. Several times I tried to pressure girlfriends into sex or when I was told they didn't want to go any further I used the 'back off and try again strategy' (which never worked). Also as a male I was in a presumed position of power. Not proud of it, and while I was a young and dumb its not an excuse. Still I was a teenager, and once I matured I came to realize I should have stopped at the first hint they didn't want to go any further. Still it is hard for me to understand how a thirty-something male who claims to be 'woke' can make those mistakes. It is creepy and complete abuse of power. That said I was reading on another forum where people were using terms like 'rape' and saying that his life should be ruined for what he did. While I am pretty sure we can all agree it wasn't rape, but should his life be ruined over this incident? Or am I allowing the mistakes made by a 15-16 year old me influence me when it comes to judging a 34 year old man?

Edit: It is funny how much of the media I consumed during the 80's I thought condoned my own behavior. Everything from misogynistic rap and 80's hair metal to the sexism of movies like Weird Science, Revenge of the Nerds, and even MASH (which I watched reruns daily). As a teenager I felt like this was how a guy was suppose to persuade a girl. Thankfully such bullshit has been left in the past (well mostly).

I don't know that anyone thinks he should have his career ruined. I think there's one or two pieces in her account that gives me some pause (Though the article seems to leave this out, it seems as though after she emerges from the bathroom she sits naked with Ansari for a while. In no way does it excuse him, but at the very least I think it might send someone a confusing message) but I think it's to highlight that at the very least he has real problems seeing or respecting boundaries.

As you note, I think for a long time men were encouraged to believe that women just want chasing and that persistence pays off. Think of all the movies we see where the guy is a horndog and the woman says no but relents.

I've never done anything to the extent that Ansari has (how do you not pick up on a woman pretty much going limp when you're kissing her) but I'm sure that in the past before I knew better I may have pressured someone in a similar way, all while thinking hey this is what you do sometimes. But that came from a place of utter ignorance and by the time I was well into my 20s I learned to read situations better. I just think from the few stories there are about Ansari, he's still in that 'you just gotta persist' mindset.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Sepinwall put together a list of 10 great ER episodes if people want to relive it. Reading it reminded me of how good that show was.

http://uproxx.com/sepinwall/er-hulu-10-episodes-george-clooney-hell-and-high-water-blizzard/

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

BSam posted:

Best bond film is obviously A View to a Kill.

It's ludicrous, but I liked it a lot more than I remembered. And that theme song is great.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

muscles like this! posted:

New unconfirmed reports are saying that an additional reason Fuller and Green left American Gods was their butting heads with Neil Gaiman over the direction the series was headed. Probably true because Gaiman has already said there was a fight about the first episode where Fuller wanted Shadow to have sex with Laura's friend after the funeral instead of turning her down. With Gaiman having to put his foot down saying that it was absolutely against Shadow's character to do that.

Thing is...it's another medium. Like it's nice that they include Gaiman's input at all, but you do what works right for the show.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Not sure if the thread covered it but about a week ago a critic I follow posted a letter that Noah Hawley sent out to critics ahead of LEGION, essentially talking about how he's now ready to push the medium of TV beyond what has done before. It's very funny, mainly because LEGION is relatively 'safe-weird', which is to say that it gives the appearance of being weird and off the wall, but constantly tells you why you're seeing what you're seeing. It completely neuters itself. The dream sequences in THE SOPRANOS are often more out there than anything that LEGION does.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

WESTWORLD suffered from treating its major twist as something you never saw coming, complete with a character literally explaining it all for 10 minutes, even though people had figured it out by like episode 4. The problem is that the show was so insistent at protecting the twist that the writing really suffered as a result.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

AceOfFlames posted:

Is Gervais that much of an rear end in a top hat to fantasise about being able to treat everyone like poo poo or is it something people in general do? (This premise seems to have been done to death).

Gervais is one of those people who think his 'edginess' is something to be lauded in the face of political correctness. And he's been poo poo ever since he stopped working with Merchant.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Rhyno posted:

I remember watching the pilot for Elementary and thinking it was crap because at the time Sherlock was new and hip and awesome and man is it incredible how hard I've flipped on that.

Make no mistake, it's a procedural so it's gone on way too long, but the way it dealt with the character stuff, as well as the lore of Holmes, was always way ahead of whatever SHERLOCK was doing.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

What a shame about Hap & Leonard. You'd think there would be a market for a show about two men, one black one white, one left one right, who put decency above everything else. But there we go. It'll be one of those shows that people catch up with after it's too late and realise it was awesome.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

HBO are doing a documentary about Adnan Sayed, subject of SERIAL. They're going to be really shocked when they find out he did it.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

bull3964 posted:

It's easier when it's systemic with a long history. I have no doubt Tambor believes what he is saying. I also have no doubt something happened with Transparent beyond what the AD cast has seen Tambor behave.

You can't disbelieve victims. I can understand long term friends standing behind someone when they don't have first hand experience of anything close to that behavior though.

Doubt the guy is going to get much new work at this point regardless.

This is basically similar to what happened with Franco on THE DEUCE. They asked literally everyone involved in the production if he exhibited any of that behaviour and it was a no across the board. I believe they also allowed people to answer anonymously in case they were worried about any blow black from it.

It seems like Tambor crossed lines on TRANSPARENT, but hasn't done it elsewhere. As a production, it's easier to justify keeping him on when you can say that.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

It's amazing that Bateman manages to come across almost as bad as Tambor in that interview.

That all the men are quick to defend it or excuse it as some sort of process and the only women in the room sit there saying "yeah this isn't right" tells you all you need to know.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

PaybackJack posted:

Is that what Sepinwall writes about these days? I only ever read an occasional review and his The Revolution Was Televised book, which if anything highlights how these great TV shows broke out of the mold that was episodic tv. Has he changed his tune or is his problem now that every mainstream show has to be both episodic and serial which works better for the latter than the former?

I think it's down to this pivot to the horrible phrase "We see this as a 10 hour movie", which seemed to be going around a lot with the Netflix shows in particular. His complaint seemed to be more about the strict adherence to avoiding doing any episodic TV, even though good things can come from it. I think all the Marvel/Netflix shows suffer from this and really struggle to fill the time they get.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

I love the story about how David O. Russell was bullying the crew on Three Kings, and George Clooney threatened to beat the poo poo out of him in front of everyone if he didn't cut it out.

Actually Clooney did punch O Russell for bullying an extra. Though it was clearly the last in a string of incidents since O Russell is a bullying piece of poo poo.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

It's weird watching the new JERSEY SHORE and seeing that 'The Situation' is the grown up, sober, voice of reason.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

esperterra posted:

How is Family Vacation? I unabashedly love the reality schlock the original Jersey Shore was, but I haven't checked out the revival at all yet.

It's kind of strange in that to me they by and large don't seem like those people these days. They go out and get wasted because production wants them to but it doesn't feel, for lack of a better term 'natural'. I guess it comes with some of them having families and naturally growing up. As loathe at I am to say it, The Situation comes across as likeable. Pauly D and Vinny do make a legitimately funny double act though.

However, the one great black mark is Ronnie who continues to be an utter piece of poo poo who obsesses over an ex that he split up with like 10 years ago and will not stop talking about at every opportunity.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Calaveron posted:

Like it's giving me anxiety how utterly gross and manipulative both Sam and Diane are in their relationship

In a lot of ways it's one of the more honest portrayls of a certain type of relationship I've seen. Sam and Diane are both great and terrible for one another, but they let their differences become problems. The show does mine some uncomfortable (yet perfectly understandable) dramatic moments out of it though and both actors are terrific.

On my last rewatch it really struck me how good Long is. I'm glad that in one of the recent profiles of the show the writers and creators give Long her due as well. They wrote such a balancing act of a character and it's hard to see it working without her. She's smart, sweet, funny and infuriating and you could see why Sam would both love her and get driven nuts by her. It's a shame that her last season as a regular isn't really great, but by that point everyone knew that they couldn't drag things out anymore. No spoilers, but it's great how they ultimately resolve that storyline as well.

It's amazing how well CHEERS pivoted from her loss, but it did become a much different show because of it (And strangely, even more successful). But for me those early seasons are always the best; they're tinged with just the right amount of melancholy and I don't think it really found it again until the final season.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

LadyPictureShow posted:

Are those Channel Zero seasons worth checking out? I held my horses when I saw they were based on ‘creepypastas’ and had to explain what those were to my friends.

Speaking of SyFy, the final season of Face Off started, and I made a thread about it... without seeing if anyone still actually watched Face Off.

I made it through the first. It had some appropriately feaky imagery but...even with a short season it felt pretty long. I heared good things about the most recent season though.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Came here to post. Terrible news. Remember, always try and seek out help if you can.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

CelestialScribe posted:

How do people talk about The Expanse as if it's top tier? The writing, acting and production values are a hair above corny tv movie standards. It's garbage. The pilot alone has so many cringe worthy performances it's hard to watch.

It's weird to say "the pilot alone" as though pilots by their nature aren't rough around the edges and usually have rougher acting/writing.

Even the first episode of THE WIRE, great as the rest of it is, is pretty rough.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

There was a podcast where Adam Scott talked about GHOSTED in kind of diplomatic terms but essentially said that the show they pitched and what they thought they were making just didn't work and they knew it wasn't working early on so they retooled it. I thought the lack of excuses about it was fairly refreshing.

feedmyleg posted:

I'm sure Bosch is very well made. But what's the hook? A generic detective drama that's really well executed doesn't really interest me. Is the show more than that?

Not really. It's that type of show but a very well made version of it. S1 was tough for me to get through but I'm really glad I gave it another go when it came back.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

So, Neil Patrick Harris is sort of a dick.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

STAC Goat posted:

I'm confused. He didn't recognize her, said as much on Twitter, and she got upset because she did an episode of HIMYM a decade ago (it was only 6 years, I have a bad sense of when that show was on) and her husband wrote for the show? Am I missing something? That doesn't seem any worse than "The world didn't need to know that inner monologue comment" but that's just attacking the entire Twitter world.

Bloom said they hung out recently backstage at a Broadway show, so it didn't seem that long ago. To be fair I think it's that, his weird comment after she said they know eachother and his weirder solicitation of birthday presents that has soured me a little on him.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

STAC Goat posted:

I mean... he's probably a bit of a dick as literally everyone who decides tweeting out an insult of a random person is worthwhile is. But like, he has no obligation to remember Rachel Bloom as much as she remembers him. He could just be less of a public dick about it... but again... Twitter. And he didn't say anything especially malicious.

I don't know anything about the birthday presents or whatever. I don't usually follow celebrities on Twitter or gossip stuff. I only just looked this up.

I only noticed it because I follow him on Twitter. He's added a postal address to his Twitter bio and has posted 'suggestions' on what he'd like. I understand people get sent poo poo all the time, but there's a bit of a difference between that and 'here's my address, send me stuff'.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

PaybackJack posted:

Overall Goliath season two wasn't as good as the first, but I do like pulp, film noir, hardboiled tales. Particularly, I always enjoy ones like this where the protagonists run around chasing dead ends and minor details while the villains spin a giant web of corruption and crime, and the protagonists don't see the whole picture until the end when they finally see the big picture. In this case though they took a few too many liberties with that, and the plot became a bit overly complex. The dialogue was never quite as punchy as I recall David E. Kelley's previous shows being. Like the first season a lot of side characters were a lot of flash but this time around they really lacked substance. Oddly though, I felt like Billy Bob brought more to the role this time around, in particular, the second to last scene he does a great job of emoting rage and seething anger with a few simple facial twitches. It's really a thing to watch.

Calling this show a "legal drama" is ridiculous though because it's total neo-noir, so if you're on the fence or even passed because it's about lawyers, doing lawyer-y things. Don't because it's not.

8/10

David E Kelley bailed on this one early in production because Billy Bob is hard to work with. It did cost Amazon a staggering amount of money to make though.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Surprising exactly no-one, David Cross talked about how rough that recent ARRESTED DEVELOPMENT was. As he explains it, they getting pages for unfinished scenes late at night and then when they'd arrive on set Hurwitz would have more new pages for them.

I know what was David Milch's way of working, but Mitch Hurwitz is no David Milch.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Netflix shows aren't shorter because it's in their best interests to keep you watching something for longer. So that's never going to change.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Hot take? While S5 of JUSTIFIED is not very good, Michael Rappaport is actually good in it. The prison segment is what drives that season into the ground and makes it hard to get through a re-watch as only the last episode really matters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Well THE HANDMAID'S TALE, that was certainly an ending you chose to go with that made total sense.