Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

where the red fern gropes posted:

wait what, i didn't notice that at all

He got rid of his normal super ornate black robes and wore a lovely brown monk robe because it was his holy resist gear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

ViggyNash posted:

I didn't sign up for a show about lizard people. Is any of this actually worth watching in regards to the show as a whole, or is it a dumb aside?

This isn't a dumb aside, it's something instigated entirely by Ainz on purpose.

As for how it relates to Nazarick, it's mildly important because it's a plan by Ainz to test something and it's Cocytus's character development arc(like how the mind control arc was heavily focused on Shalltear). On its own, the lizardmen characters are endearing and it's the first time in Overlord where you get to see a faction native to the world have to deal with Nazarick's overwhelming power(besides Generic Forgettable Priest Ninjas and a couple of individual cultists like Khajit/Clementine).

It's not super long. I'd bet on two more episodes, maybe three if they really wanted to stretch the conclusion.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

ViggyNash posted:

If this was it's own show, I would be super into it. The problem I have is that there was no preamble to explain what the hell these lizard people have to do with anything so non-ln watchers will be super confused.

It was like that in the novel, too, actually.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

As I figured, they're hurrying the lizardman plot along at a good clip. Next ep should finish it up at this pace.

Poil posted:

That was an elder lich? It was so weak and pathetic it only had level 3 spells and got taken out by a couple of lizards. What kind of low level trash mob did it used to be? What is a normal lich, stuck casting single magic missiles?

A thing to remember is that by the standards of this world, level 3 magic is the province of ancient old wizards and superhuman prodigies. Higher level magic requires cooperation between multiple casters and huge rituals. That giant angel that Ainz clowned in the first season was only 7th level magic, and it was regarded as an unstoppable colossus that was the pride of the theocracy. When Narberal fought the Skeletal Dragons, Khajit thought they were immune to magic because as far as he's aware there's no one in the world who can actually cast magic of a high enough level to hurt them. In this context, an Elder Lich who can machine gun level 3 magic nonstop is an incredibly dangerous foe, and it took all of the mightiest lizardmen heroes working in concert to stop it, and they almost died in the process.

It's important to not use the normal Nazarick cast as a baseline for this world. Ainz and his closest associates are simply god-freaks and any given one of the Pleiades could annihilate the entire Lizardman civilization singlehandedly with no effort, nevermind one of the floor guardians or Ainz himself. There's a reason why Ainz is going about this this way, though.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Namtab posted:

This is why this show is bad, because where's the tension in the setup?

Honestly, I enjoy Overlord for the characters who aren't from Nazarick. A lot of them are pretty fun and well-realized - I particularly like the lizardmen, Enri, and Brain - and the tension in the setup for me is seeing how they deal with bumping up against the roving natural disaster that is the Nazarick dudes is fun. The Nazarick dudes are okay, but I find them at their most boring when they're crushing and overpowering something effortlessly; I like when they're forced to work under restrictions or they are squabbling internally.

I understand that a lot of people like the show for different reasons and want to see a sitcom about Bumbling Skeleton Dad And His Evil God-Children, but I don't think Overlord really delivers on that, especially going forward.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

ViggyNash posted:

I just keep coming back to it: What does any of this have to do with the mystery of who took over Shalltear? The story's suddenly taken a different track towards Ains becoming an actual evil overlord instead of pretending to be one as a way of figuring out what's going on in this world. To manga readers, does it ever get back on track, or does the story keep shifting it's focus like this?

The answer to your question? Nothing. Shalltear being taken over served the role in the plot of confirming Ainz as being correct in approaching the new world cautiously despite the initial lack of credible resistance. It also allowed the story to present a picture of what it looks like when Ainz and his minions go all out against an equally capable foe, which is something that you don't normally get to see due to the power differentials normally in play.

The Lizardman arc is effectively an aside to introduce some new characters to the cast and to also allow Ainz to test the limitations of his "children".

The story in Overlord is very meandering and switches perspectives quite a lot; Ainz is actually not the perspective character in the novels very often at all.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

The adaptation of the lizard arc unfortunately skipped out on a lot of characterization(like Zaryusu and Zenberu becoming best friends, which is why Zaryusu begs Ainz to bring him back along with his brother but doesn't mention the other chiefs who got loving murdered), but it was pretty decently done.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Him looking at Albedo and going "absolutely not" makes Albedo existing as a character almost worth it.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

The lizard man arc is great and I loved it. As much as Ainz and friends are cool, the normal rear end fantasy setting and native people's stories and plots are super well done and I would watch a show just about them.

I think it helps a lot that most fantasy works don't really focus on weird "primitive" cultures like lizardmen, and the lizardmen in Overlord have enough of a societal structure described to feel somewhat unique, with concepts like Zaryusu being branded an outsider/outcast because he opted to go wandering, or how they've had wars simply to kill their populations down to sustainable levels and Zaryusu bringing in ideas that seem simplistic like sustainable fish farming might have changed their society radically over time had Nazarick not showed up.

The LN goes into substantially greater detail about the lizardmen and by the end of the arc I felt more familiar with the lizardmen characters than most of the Nazarick guardians.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Mordaedil posted:

This is taking place after the betrayal of Shalltear, so everyone in Nazarick are super on edge, which is why, when Sebas starts saving someone that isn't part of Nazarick, she suspects something is up. Adding to that Sebas hesitation to report to Ainz, makes it seem from her point of view that Sebas might have fallen under mind control, since they are not supposed to care about humans in the slightest.

Also Solution strongly dislikes Sebas due to her being a nightmarishly evil sadist who enjoys devouring people alive and him being an upstanding noble guy, so she's going to assume the worst about anything he does and her reporting him for being a traitor might get her into a position where she can indulge herself more openly without Sebas restraining her desire to be a monster.

Basically this:

Fabricated posted:

The evil aligned Pleiades are assholes and their persistent habit of creatively interpreting orders or doing dumb things to scratch their particular itches will be an ongoing problem.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Ainz isn't a moron bumbling his way through things, he actually is really smart. He's just extremely naive and way out of his depth because he went from "nerdlinger expert PKer in an mmo who also did guild administration things" to "exalted god-emperor of an impossibly powerful army of end bosses". Most of the smart stuff Nazarick is doing is due to his plans and ideas, and most of the bad or unexpected poo poo that goes down is due to things he couldn't possibly have known or his minions interpreting his instructions creatively. Shalltear wouldn't have gotten mind controlled if she hadn't gone on her little bloodlust rampage, for example.

His minions worshipping him is due to the fact that he's the god who didn't leave them behind so they tend to see his actions and plans in the best possible light, but basically all of his plans are honestly good ones anyway.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Captain Cappy posted:

Brain Unglaus felt so out of place in this episode. A grown man, the second stronkest man in the kingdom or something, going up to a stranger and saying "Wow kid you're so sugoi how'd you do it???" felt like something out of generic shounen trash. I also wish they could go at a faster pace than what feels like one chapter from a weekly manga per episode speed.

Sebas is cool though.

Brain's entire state of depression is because he saw a fight he could not ever hope to win and his response was to poo poo his pants and run away crying despite devoting his entire life to being the best swordsman. Then he runs into some no-talent loser without an ounce of Brain's skill or power who manages to face down the same sort of odds and not break. That's something that should be fascinating and deeply important to someone who is currently as lost as Brain is. The rest of the episode makes it pretty clear that Brain is far stronger than Climb could ever hope to be, and even Sebas says that Brain will be able to handle himself in their little raid, so it's not like Brain is swooning over Climb's combat abilities or anything. He's just inspired by the mental resolution that let Climb stand firm and is seeking to learn something from it.

I do agree that the pacing feels very slow in this arc. The lizardman arc moved along at a good clip and they made some pretty big sacrifices to do so, which was fine for an animated format, but this arc feels like they're dragging their feet.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Nyaa posted:

Fear is also an awful and common effect in D&D. You could argue Climb just have better will save or anti-fear class feat.

I think this is just meant to be run-of-the-mill "oh gently caress, I'm going to die" fear rather than magic fear. We saw what magic fear looks like in the Lizardman arc.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Poil posted:

I'm liking the princess more but the after credits scene just felt a bit lame. Oh noes, a threat that's only a third of being remotely credible (guess who that third is) and a kinda dumb introduction sequence? Who were they posing for? Nameless minions who started clapping when it cut away?

For the post-credits scene, the Six Arms are basically the strongest individuals around outside of the Adamantite adventurers/Brain/Gazef, so they think that inviting their wrath is basically doomsday and that they're a big loving deal. It's pretty much the same song and dance as how Clementine assumed she could murder Ainz without any effort and how Khajit was sure Nabe had absolutely no chance at soloing a skeletal dragon; by all of the normal standards of their world they are exactly right, but Nazarick is cheating extremely hard.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

MonsterEnvy posted:

To be decently fair to Clementine. She delivered what could have been several fatal blows to Ainz had he not been immune to her attacks.

I mean, yeah, if Ainz wasn't a cheating gently caress who had abilities beyond any reasonable standard for the world setting she would have murdered him several times. She didn't have armor made out of the guild tags of all the adventurers she killed for no reason, she was a monstrously dangerous fighter by the standards of the world at large and probably could have beaten Brain or Gazef, or at the very least given them an extremely hard fight.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Sindai posted:

Now I wonder why Renner is actually going after Eight Fingers.

Regardless of her personal motivations, they're still a hugely powerful and potentially destabilizing criminal group operating within her kingdom who are unlikely to recognize any sort of authority besides their own.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

The focus of the start of this season was Ainz invading and killing the poo poo out of a ton of lizardmen simply to test a hypothesis, and when their leaders tried to surrender his response was "no sorry i'm gonna send my bro cocytus to murder you for no reason except to prove a point about my superiority and your inferiority that really doesn't need proving".

He's not a nice guy or anything approaching one and hasn't been since he first walked out of Nazarick in this world, where one of the first things he did was to blow a dude's heart up with a high level spell. Any nice or good things he happens to do are either accidental or done purely out of pride or self-benefit.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Fat_Cow posted:

I do wonder if any of the other maids would have stomped the group.

If Evileye didn't have her anti-bug spell, Entoma herself probably could have won. That spell basically shuts off almost all of Entoma's abilities as well as damaging her, which Evileye's normal spells aren't really able to do(see Entoma walking through the Crystal Lance without giving a poo poo). Even though Evileye is technically higher level than Entoma, Nazarick has insane top tier equipment that makes all of them punch above even their already overpowered weight.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Mar 22, 2018

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

pleiades are half godawful nerd jokes and half minmaxed npc guards designed to break player raids. no one ever got that far into nazarick in the game though, so they were never actually used for anything.

It's explicitly stated that nobody in the guild actually expected the Pleiades to be able to stand up against any players who were strong enough to beat the first 8 death gauntlet floors of Nazarick, so they were just intended to buy some time for the actual guild members to form a final defense in the throne room. But, as you said, that never came to pass because no one in Yggdrasil was ever remotely strong enough to conquer Nazarick, even when most of the guild members stopped playing.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

MonsterEnvy posted:

Well strength had nothing to do really with conquering Nazarick. It was more they filled the place out with so many bullshit traps that people got frustrated enough to stop trying. Level loss was a thing in Yggdrasil so dying or getting killed was really punishing. Ainz himself nearly quit the game in his early days because people kept PKing him so he could never make any progress.

For example of the bullshit, there is a level 90 Hell Slime called Guren in Level 7 considered to be far far more dangerous then Demiurge. The Slime guards the Lava River and because of it's fire immunity and body type it blends into the river. Guren would from ambush send it's tentacles out and drag enemies into the lava river which had the properties of quicksand so characters would quickly find them selves immobilized taking heavy damage from the lava while the basically invisible Guren would constantly attack them while they had pretty much no way to fight back.

I think officially Nazarick has enough battle potential to rival at least thirty level 100 players.

You do need to be unbelievably strong to have a remote chance in Nazarick even if you can figure out the traps. Gargantua is an honest to god raid boss rather than a player-created NPC, and they have stuff like the Overlord squad hanging out in the library(yeah, that's an entire group of NPCs with the same class as Ainz).

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Argas posted:

The maids always struck me as just the leadup to the finale where the Guild members go full ham playing evil final bosses. That's basically the perfect place for a quirky miniboss to lead into.

It's pretty great to imagine. You fight through eight floors of increasingly horrible monsters and evil deadly traps and reach the final floor, which is basically just a palace, and your opponents before the final room are a super-powered butler and his quirky collection of maid subordinates.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Fabricated posted:

In Yggdrasil the final attempt any other players and guilds made at unseating Ainz Oowl Gown from Nazarick before finally just giving up and letting their weirdo PVPRP non-human guild just have the place forever was multiple guilds of max level players storming the place with hundreds of high-level NPC mercenaries paid for with stupendous amounts of gold. I can't recall which floor they got stopped on but I don't even think it was the floor Victim's super-trap is on.

Ainz Oowl Gown was like the #3 or #4 guild on the server overall however- there were other guilds who had more field-deployable battle power (a lot of Ainz Oowl Gown's power is in their ridiculous loving Raid Dungeon turned Guild Base) and more of the single-shot world-class items that were complete game changers. Ainz Oowl Gown had the best PVPer on their entire realm (Touch Me) and a handful of their guildmembers were renown PKers.

Yeah, their biggest problem was that they were super tiny and exclusive. There were only 41 of them, after all.

Ainz himself was a fairly accomplished PKer, mostly because he's a huge meticulous nerd and takes every single possible precaution to study his opponent and ensure he can mindgame them into oblivion. He alludes to this stuff when he's showing Nabe how to use scrolls in season 1 and he displays this methodology when he fights Shalltear, which is a fight that he really should not have been able to possibly win but he played his opponent and not the game.

Him being a meticulous no-life nerd is also why he was the guildmaster, not because he was their actual leader. Nobody else really felt like dealing with all the day to day upkeep stuff.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Mar 23, 2018

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

MonsterEnvy posted:

There is also the fact that with Shalltear he had all the time in the world to prepare for that fight, while his opponent pretty much played by their default settings that Ainz knew really well. (In terms of Game Knowledge Ainz remembered Shalltear's settings and build the second best of all Nazarick NPC's with the only one beating her being Pandora's actor who Ainz made himself.) But yeah Shalltear was built so well by a power gamer that Shalltear was considered the equivalent a lower portion Top Tier Player. If she was granted and equipped fully with divine class items she would be in the middle Top Tier (which is were Ainz is). If she could change her gear to match her opponents she would be able to fight evenly with the Upper Top Tier.

Honestly if Ainz hadn't had all that prep time and knowledge he would have been screwed because she has all the tools required to simply whoop him with little effort. She didn't ride her default settings entirely either; she did kill her own summons for HP, which was something she couldn't do in Yggdrasil.

shalltear isn't all that bright to begin with and she eventually goes berserk whenever she isn't fighting a bloodless skeleton. she was very good at being an npc guard but is kind of terrible at this whole sentience thing.

Her blood frenzy thing wasn't actually a major problem in the game(because she was an NPC who only existed to fight people who happened to enter her area), but now that she's a sapient being who gets sent on missions going progressively more insane whenever blood touches her is an enormously awkward setback for a fighter and means that committing her to combat is generally something that can only be done if you intend to kill every living thing in an area(which is why Demiurge tells her to wait in reserve in this ep). It's actually a pretty funny quirk and a neat application of the "oh no the game is now real" trope.

I don't think it's that she's dumb so much as she's super arrogant because of how powerful she is.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Phobophilia posted:

here i am reading about a second hand account of an imaginary world based on an imaginary mmo played by imaginary people in a contemporary world

Overlord frequently doesn't stick the actual story writing, but the world, its mechanics, and how they relate to the much simpler game they originally come from are pretty fun and interesting to think about.

I mean, poo poo, the NPCs in Nazarick are basically an extremely evil cast of Toy Story. A bunch of fantasy caricature characters intended to have limited or no real depth who suddenly are sapient and have their own thoughts and desires and behaviors and ideas about the world, the people who created them, and the person who "owns" them.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Mar 23, 2018

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

the story's not great, but i think it would be a lot better without demiurge. he's the most active player in nazarick, and he drives the plot accordingly. unfortunately, he drives it toward pointless monstrous sadism with no opposition and i don't find that particularly interesting.

Not only is Demiurge himself monstrously evil, since he's the smartest floor guardian besides Albedo(who spends all of her time sitting around making Ainz pillows/plushies/dolls), he's usually the filter through which Ainz's commands to his subordinates are received. Ainz will give a command and leave, his subordinates will go "Hmm I wonder what he means" and Demiurge will go "oh, I understand, he really wants us to do <thing in the most evil way possible>" and everyone else would go "oh that makes sense".

Demiurge would be a really cool and interesting character if there was another Nazarick character with equal standing who was set up as a foil to him, but there isn't. Sebas would be the logical choice except Sebas is in a subordinate position so he can't really fill the role. I would really like if Albedo filled that role because her normal role is basically to be a nonentity except for tiresome "I LOVE AINZ" jokes. Even her major plot point, her increasing disconnect between the concept of Momonga and the concept of Ainz, is a variant of this.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Jymmybob posted:

Also the strength of the novel is the world and side characters because the worldbuilding is far more elaborate than the plot which is probably a good thing since plots are a lot harder. That said it does a far better job having a deep and wide variety of interesting characters than 99% of web-novels/light novels.

You can tell because most of the good stuff talked about in this thread fall along those lines and fights are generally pretty boring beyond what they mean in that world.

The fights are generally pretty boring because the outcome is almost never, ever in doubt, so the fight basically boils down to "how long is the person from Nazarick going to toy with their doomed opponent before instakilling them", which is not compelling at all. The Entoma fight is a notable exception to this and is one of the better fights in the story because of it, at least; it was plausible that the Blue Roses could actually beat her and she's a minor enough character that her death or loss wouldn't have derailed everything like Ainz losing to Shalltear would have, so there was actually an element of uncertainty to it.

I'll always like Ainz vs Shalltear because it's one of the nerdiest fights ever animated, even if it's not particularly suspenseful. It's almost literally an epic level D&D wizard casting every single buff and contingency spell in the universe on himself to survive long enough to trigger a ridiculously stupid plan that is ultimately reliant on a cash shop item.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Guyver posted:

Stop looking for compelling in your power fantasy media. If you don't think seeing some rear end in a top hat's heart explode and heads being punched off is entertaining maybe you should try Record of Lodoss War or something for your not-D&D fix.

"Stop looking for things to be well-written and interesting in [x genre], that's not how it works" is a weird outlook. Both the original Star Wars trilogy and the prequel trilogy are pulp science fantasy in the exact same setting, but most people will tell you that the original trilogy is really good and the prequels are really bad. Should you tell them "Stop looking for memorable characters and compelling adventure in your science fantasy media, if you don't think Jedi waving lightsabers around and CGI battle droids dying by the thousands is entertaining maybe you should try Star Trek or something"?

Fist of the North Star is a fabulously bad counter-example. There are a number of fights in Fist of the North Star where Kenshiro is seriously pushed, and at least one where he is outright defeated. Him murdering all the dumb bandits he meets is always a given, but the major antagonists are serious threats. On top of this, FotNS goes to great lengths to try to establish emotional weight as a backdrop to showdowns with major antagonists, so even in fights which aren't serious challenges for Kenshiro there's a lot of viewer/reader investment. Jagi never stands a goddamn chance against Kenshiro but the fight is a huge climax of the show because Jagi is an enormous presence in Kenshiro's past and has had a defining effect on Kenshiro's life. Additionally, every major antagonist Kenshiro fights leaves their mark on him and changes him in some way, to the point where the great climax of the show involves Kenshiro achieving the apotheosis of his martial art because of the emotions that have been stamped on him by his many battles.

Overlord doesn't do this. Almost all of the "Nazarick vs X" fights feature a selected overpowered godmonster from Nazarick facing off against a paper-thin caricature villain whose primary defining character trait is thinking they're a bigger deal than they are(Clementine/Khajit, the Six Arms). This is valuable initially; the massacre of the Slaine theocracy dudes helps to establish where Ainz and company stand in relation to the new world, establishes Carne Village as a Nazarick protectorate, and introduces Ainz to Gazef which is the beginning of Nazarick influencing the new world's politics. The problem is that this pattern begins to repeat for no narrative purpose. We understand by this point that Ainz is both monstrously powerful and stuck somewhere between evil and oblivious, so additional scenes devoted solely to proving it are largely pointless. There's a reason why the Workers arc from the novel seems to be universally detested, and that's because it's literally just torture/murder porn about how evil and powerful Nazarick is with no actual purpose.

Overlord definitely has some interesting fights when this formula is twisted in some way. Ainz vs Shalltear is interesting because it's a demonstration of what it looks like when someone from Nazarick is forced to go all out against an equal or superior foe; it helps contextualize most of the other conflicts and emphasize the power gap in the setting. The Lizardmen vs the Undead and the Lizardmen vs Cocytus are interesting because they spend a lot of time building up the Lizardmen characters and attaching the viewer to them, and the resolution of the arc means that the time spent with the lizardmen will potentially be valuable later in the story. Entoma vs the Blue Roses is interesting because it's the first time someone from Nazarick is running into opponents who can feasibly win and it's plausible that either side could take it.

A piece of media being schlocky power fantasy and being compelling are not mutually exclusive.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Taikuri posted:

I did not catch why Shalltear didn't start killing those 3? Very out of character?
Also why wardrobe change? How did Brain recognise her? I was very confused about every aspect of this scene.
Brain being ecstatic about clipping her nails was good end to his power level realization character arc though.

It's pretty roundabout, but Momon/Ainz is technically working at the behest of Marquis Raeven, the nobleman who is working with Princess Renner. As we know, Renner is Climb's boss(and psychotically obsessed with him). Demiurge does a lot of the intelligence work for Nazarick(he's effectively Solution's boss, for example), so he's aware of this and gave the participants in his little disguised villain scheme(the Pleiades, Shalltear) instructions to not kill anyone who might gently caress up the plan to build Momon into a national hero by acting as his foils. So Shalltear is definitely about to murder the gently caress out of Brain and then she spots Climb and decides to pull back to not mess things up. She's also likely to be significantly more cautious than usual because she's still guilty about getting mind controlled and doesn't want to gently caress up.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Most isekais are explicitly fantasies about escaping the real world and becoming a badass somewhere else so very, very few of them are interested in dealing with the real world once things get rolling beyond a few fish out of water moments(like Ainz's mental voice periodically reacting in confusion/disgust).

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Eeepies posted:

Yeah, in S1, he was more pissed that his future plans were ruined when Clementine killed all the adventurers he was getting closer with, rather than the fact that she killed his buddies. He has only done a few things for the sake of being good a few times before:

1. Saving the village from the Theocracy, and he almost didn't bother if it wasn't for remembering how Touch Me saved him.
2. Giving a mid-class healing potion to an adventure when he accidentally broke one.
3. Saving Tsuare although he phrased it as repaying a debt.
4. Repressing the urge to murder EvilEye on the spot (and this was more for the sake of his Momon image).

That's about it throughout these 2 seasons. He definitely knows his lack of morality and evil tendencies at this point.

This is all pretty Lawful Evil stuff. Basically everything "good" he does for people outside of Nazarick is because he's repaying what he views as a debt or attempting to blend in with the restrictions of the existing society to further his own goals.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Terrible Opinions posted:

Politics and grand plans of the first season were bad because most of the jobbers lacked personality or enthusiasm. Princess crazy face and the lizardmen who are clearly the heroes of a shonen show fixed that for the most part.

It's really funny because when the LNs were being translated a lot of people in various places complained bitterly about the lizardman arc as taking too much time away from Nazarick.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

I loved it from the word go, but my favorite parts of Overlord are the side characters. It's hard for me to really like or invest in the Nazarick characters because they have no struggle to overcome or arc to complete because of their invulnerability and power, but the author is pretty good at side characters.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

He reconciled it by letting the absolute loyalty win out completely.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Mordaedil posted:

I think it gets kind of a bad rap. There was a good bit of it that I did like, and the ending wasn't even that bad. It's nothing like volume 13 chapter 1. gently caress that poo poo was much worse to me.

It gets a bad wrap because it takes up most of a volume and has effectively no payoff besides "Hey, world, Nazarick exists!", which could have been done with some faceless mooks offscreen.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Bloody Pancreas posted:

I don't know why, but this silly show captivates me like no other. I'm really looking forward to see what antics these insanely overpowered tyrants get up to next season. That being said, I'm annoyed at how hollow Albedo's, and to a lesser extent Aura and Mare's, presence has been for two whole seasons. Will any of them get a bigger part anytime soon or will they remain as a gimmicky background characters for a while? (I've been avoiding spoilers)

Albedo develops as a side plot, though it's slow burn and may not see much payoff next season depending on how much they decide to adapt and what they decide to portray. Aura will be doing some stuff in the next part, though neither Aura nor Mare are really major characters; they're mostly supporting cast members.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

People complained about the "boring" lizardmen, too.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

The adaptation of this arc in the anime is much, much better than the light novel version because it's dramatically more concise and to the point.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

If nothing else, now everyone who didn't read the LNs can get an image of why this arc is so controversial/reviled. The LN spent a whole lot more time detailing the backstories and personalities of all the workers, and it spent a lot more time detailing the horrific torture they faced.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Taikuri posted:

Ok, you don't have to make fun of...

What in the actual gently caress

WHAT IN THE ACTUAL gently caress

There's a reason why this arc is widely reviled by the novel readers(almost nobody read the original web novel, which is pretty different and has gross poo poo like the aforementioned and also several characters like Albedo don't exist). Thankfully, this is easily the worst it ever gets in terms of pointless torture porn.

That's not to say that Nazarick is never gonna do Bad Stuff Again, just that it won't be pointless torture porn.

Bloody Pancreas posted:

I think what's getting to me about Ains and his posse is that most of the cruelty inflicted onscreen is towards villains, with the occasional good person getting caught up and swiftly revived. The real evil poo poo is kept off-screen, like the 10k civilians rounded up like cattle by Demiurge or the people being skinned for parchment by...Demiurge. Seeing Ains and Co. emotionally torturing people that he admits he coerced into invading Nazarick, followed by slaughtering guards as a show of force is changing my more benign view of him. Suddenly Ains, who before was more of a neutral/evil-adjacent character now looks rather petty and pathetic.

Mostly I'm just worried that my guilty pleasure Anime has gone headfirst into tormenting/slaughtering innocents forever.

Ains goes loving crazy on them in large part due to whats his face having the nuts to inadvertently lie about meeting another one of the 41. He had no idea what he was doing when he did it but that's like an Omega Trigger Button for Ains. He was already going to kill them because they raided the Tomb(it doesn't matter if they were induced into it by a Nazarick plot, these guys willingly took the job to enter the tomb), but that's a really good way to ensure you die Extra Horribly.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Aug 29, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

ainz is mostly indifferent to both cruelty and kindness. he'll use them as needed, but he doesn't really get any satisfaction from either. likewise, ainz doesn't really care that demiurge is a sadistic monster and sebas is an upright gentleman.

He generally errs on the side of mercy, largely because due to his emotional suppression he tends to view things in a very objective and strictly value-oriented manner and there's usually no worth in torturing or killing someone if you can leave them alive and mine some benefit out of them later(see Carne Village, the Lizardmen, Hamsuke, etc). The only times he'll err on the side of cruelty are when there's some benefit to it, if it's part of a plan, or someone has done something to offend or piss him off personally.

He's "evil" alignment according to his sheet but based on his actions I'd probably put him as neutral trending toward evil.