Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

22 Eargesplitten posted:

If the laptop had 2GB of RAM it's less likely to be using the integrated GPU and more that the integrated GPU is on a core 2 duo.

Even with 4 gig (or 6? OP was unclear whether RAM was added or replaced) Win10 will be unhappy. I don’t do Win10 with less than 8 GB. We tried 4 GB on some laptops we were trying to be budget conscious with in 2018 - same model as regular production, just less RAM, no biometric sensor, and slightly slower i5 - and they were dismal until we bumped them up to 8 GB. Just Office, Outlook, and a VOIP softphone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

less than three posted:

Ticket: my deskphone isn't working, my cell is X

I call and asked if it's plugged in, he says yes.

10 min walk to where he is and the cable is on the floor right next to the outlet.

I've never wanted to hit a user so bad.

The worst part of the job is that you can’t get mad and yell at these time-wasting fuckheads, especially if you work for an MSP or outsourcer. Ask how I know (hint, I no longer work for an outsourcer. I may have gotten irritated at a new guy who decided that upgrading the OS on his Mac would be a brilliant thing to do, and broke several things that weren’t yet compatible. To be fair, I should have blacklisted the upgraded, but I was sort of new to system management, but I was having a bad day already and sort of blew my stack at him.)

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Weedle posted:

in this thread's opinion is it reasonable to expect someone who has taught music here for over a decade to know how to burn a loving cd in the year two thousand twenty

People still burn CDs?
(But yes, anyone who has used a computer in the last decade should know this. Also, it’s sobering to realize “the last decade” now means the 2010s. Oof. )

Edit: so maybe not? I mean, I think I stopped burning CDs in favor of just using my phone or streaming around 2010.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

taqueso posted:

It's just too easy to burn a cd now. They are expecting to have to run some cd-burner tool.

No doubt. Both the Mac and Windows basically treat it like a thumb drive until you eject it, basically. Easy.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

The Fool posted:

With the exception being that if you need audio tracks for a player that doesn't support mp3's

Ah, point. I haven't made an audio disc in a very long time.

less than three posted:

Crossovers aren't directional but this is a brilliant way of getting them to make sure both ends are plugged in properly

Of course they're not, but users don't know that, do they?

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

guppy posted:

I want a module that checks to see if Tier 1 entered any comments and if it doesn't find any it rejects the escalation and complains to their manager that they didn't do any troubleshooting

I like the way you think.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

sfwarlock posted:

"Every time I plug in my headphones, my computer turns off."

I sent the minion. (Every time we get a weird one, I send the minion.)

The minion calls me from the user's desk,

"Homeslice, you are not going to believe this. Every time he plugs in his headphones, Windows shuts itself down."

"The devil you say. What happens when he ... unplugs them?"

Pause. "Nothing."

"Okay. Have him plug them back in."

Pause. Longer pause. "It's booting up."

Further experimenting established that a) it only happened to the user, not my minion; b) it only happened when docked and c) it happened with all headphones/headsets tried.

Solution: User is using a Dell USB-C dock, and the (hard-to-see) power button is right above the headphone jack. However he rested his hand as he plugged the headphones in, it pushed down on the button for long enough to signal Windows to shut off.

I hate those loving docks so much. That goddamned button will turn poo poo off, but won't wake the machine, only boot it if shut down. And Dell chose to put the largest possible connector on the stiffest possible cable to plug into that tiny USB-C port. We've had two so far manage to break the USB-C port enough so that the dock no longer works - external displays go first, it seems. I'm surprised we haven't had more. I expected immediate failures when those things came out, but it took almost three years for the first one. The Dell tech wasn't surprised at all. Only fix is a system board replacement, of course, because why would you put an easy to break connector on an easy to replace sub-board?
Oh, did I mention that the USB-C cable on the dock is captive, and not like, say, a standard USB-C double-ended cable?
Also, the docks have to be rebooted every so often by removing power when they forget how to use external displays or Ethernet.
Give me back the old "dumb" port extender docks, please.

klosterdev posted:

How the hell did an elevator shut down your server room

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

bell jar posted:

My Dell USB-C dock doesn't have a power button (that I can find) and it annoys the poo poo out of me. You also can't remove the USB-C to USB-A dongle from it, which I never want to use. It sucks :smith:

That's the "universal" USB 3.0 dock.
The one intended only for Dell laptops (WD15, or the newer WD-19) does have a button, and only USB-C. Also comes in Thunderbolt 3 flavor, which is nice.

e: f, b.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

That Dang Lizard posted:

WD-15 / WD-19 docks suck, in my experience. We've had nothing but trouble, especially with the 19's. Build quality issues, random dropouts, graphics issues...

D6000 docks have been rock solid though.

Can confirm on the WD-15s. I'm getting really tired of fighting dock issues on the Dells. The Lenovo USB-C dock seems to be rock solid. I'm honestly going to see if we can't just use that for all of them...
WD-19 hasn't been a problem yet, but we've only been using those for a few months.

wargames posted:

always update the firmware on the d6000 and wd15/19 this fixes so many issues.

Some but not all. Still worth doing.

Weedle posted:

A parent with whom I've dealt a few times this school year came by again to ask me if I could borrow his kid's computer under the pretext of doing some kind of necessary work on it, then pass it off to the dad so he can set up a parental monitoring thing because the kid is having trouble staying focused on schoolwork instead of goofing off online. Pretty normal 14-year-old stuff if you ask me, so I was confused because it sounds like this is something the dad could do himself at home and I don't need to be involved in any of this rinky-dink espionage poo poo. Apparently this is a no-go because they expect the kid to become angry if he finds out that his parents are trying to enforce any sort of computer discipline. Buddy, seems to me like the real problem is that you're afraid of your own kid.

Um, yeah. Be a parent there, guy.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

loving privacy screens. Also, lol at putting them on a tablet. In what orientation? They're loving lenticulars, they only work one way.

I got a couple test laptops from hardware asset management the other month. Two Dells, functionally identical except one was silver, the other was black. The black one had an onboard Ethernet port. And the silver one had...some kind of screen fuckery. It only seemed to work if you tilted the screen at a very specific angle (which then caused the overhead lights to glare off it really badly) because of what I described as some weird lenticular defect. I sent my evaluation back and said, "We should go with the one that has onboard Ethernet to save on issues in the provisioning labs, and what the gently caress was the point of this one with the janky-rear end screen? I think something's wrong with it."

I got a ping back from the HAM lead. "How did the privacy screen perform?"

"THAT'S what that was? Realtalk, it performed like total rear end. Why is it vertical? If I sit like I'm in a plane seat next to someone on this laptop, I can see it just fine, unless the glare from having to tilt it at an uncomfortable angle is in the way. Are they worried that tall people might look over your shoulder? Have they ever BEEN on public transit? That's not really the loving issue, now, is it?"

"Oh. Management hoped we could save money by not having to buy stick on privacy screens."

"Maybe management should be happier that we're getting laptops with Ethernet ports so they can stop wringing their hands over the security risk of handing out USB-C dongles, and so Provisioning can stop whining that they can't image because their dongles are hosed up or missing."

"I'll try to pass along that feedback."

The Dell 7400s we're getting now (with carbon fiber lids! Whee!), the successor to the 7390s, have no Ethernet port. Doesn't matter much to the users, but I either have to image on a dock, or use one of the USB-C Ethernet dongles I have for the Macs. I really do like the built-in camera shutter though. Keeps my users from putting on an external shutter that presses on the trackpad keys and causes random clicking issues that they can't figure out...

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Thanks Ants posted:

The one time we had privacy screens that could clip onto monitors in our company a bunch of middle managers decided it was a status symbol because if you had one it meant you did super secret Excel work, so they *had* to have one as well.

Management decided on an “open” office plan when they remodeled our floor, so no more tall cube walls - all cubes are 3’-4’ walls, and double cubes (back to back) to boot, and no more office (actually one - the VP of Facilities, of course). Purchasing, Finance, and Legal are on our floor.
We spent thousands for privacy filters, on top of remodeling costs, not to mention morale degradation. At least they put in a decent noise canceling system.
My privacy screens are mainly to hide Youtube and SA.

Also: thank God I’m not the telecom guy. He has to deal with Avaya stuff. I only have to create extensions and voicemail accounts from time to time.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Weedle posted:

Is it just me or does the perceived need for privacy filters undermine the whole ostensible purpose of an open floor plan

it’s probably just me

Management doesn't know why they want an open floor plan, or rather, they do, and it has exactly nothing to do with productivity and/or collaboration. Because study after study shows that open floor plans, unless designed very specifically, just loving distract and piss people off. But the asshats who made the decision don't have to sit in them, so ahead full speed with stuffing more people in and being able to watch over their shoulders at all times.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Our whole office got standing desks when we remodeled. I try to use mine a few times a week at least. It is nice being able to raise it up for my tall rear end, and, since I’m desktop support, raise them up to fettle wires under the desk.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Speaking of attempted arson...

So we hire a lot of contractors, because of course. Corporate sent an email to all employees, regardless of employment status, saying due to CORVID-19, we'll be opening up WFH for anyone who feels they need it or is already sick.

Get in this morning, and one of my boots on the ground sends me a screenshot of his boss telling him none of the people from his agency are allowed to WFH and will have to take PTO or unpaid leave.

Ended up having to drop a verbal pipebomb into the whine-about-work chat saying that if the contractors who touch our computers aren't being allowed time off like the rest of us, poo poo's going to go horribly wrong real quick.

I am now in a ton of trouble, but the contractors are now getting their pay if they're WFH or too sick to get to the office.

On behalf of contractors, I salute you.

Darchangel fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Mar 11, 2020

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

I'm desktop support, and a literal computer toucher, so can't WFH. I'm also a contractor, so, that's... good, I guess.
Of course, our AV Lab team is talking about WFH, and for some reason that's going to require me to build 23 temporary laptops for them. I still can't get a clear answer why, but my manager seems satisfied with making me and the guy who builds out images (because of course they need bespoke special snowflake loadouts) waste our time building these things. Eh, ain't my budget. Don't want to hear about slow response to tickets, though. Gonna make sure they get the crappiest old laptops I can find. I think I have some Lenovo T420s and Dell 6400s still hanging around for some reason...
Did I mention that every employee in this company has a laptop already?
I *think* these machines are so they can remote into their lab "infect" box, which is exposed to the internet.

Oh, and confirmed cases of COVID-19 in the state I live in. And county. :ohdear:

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The last part answers your question :v:. Working off dedicated laptops is more secure than god-knows-what might be lurking on random home computers, I guess.

No it doesn't.
Every employee in this company has a laptop already. Why they need a second one for this is the question - however, new information is that some will be used for the AV threat research part of their jobs, which of course one wouldn't want to use a production machine for. Still doesn't explain the 9 "Production" machines in the mix, though.

dragonshardz posted:

An email came in.

:byodame: "Microsoft Access crashes with an error message that says System resource exceeded! Can someone reinstall it and make sure I have the latest patches?"
:sun: "What are you typically doing when you see this error message?"
:byodame: "Simple stuff like copying/pasting, running queries. The program may need to be reinstalled or is there a patch?"
:sun: "Are you having problems working with a specific Access file, or all files in general?"
:byodame: "I work with a few Access files and they are all doing it."
:sun: "Can you tell me what those Access files are, with the full file path and name?"

Ongoing but apparently this is the week of dumb questions.

Playing 20 questions is the main part of our jobs in any sort of end-user-facing support role.
Also, are you sure it doesn't need to be reinstalled or patched? :haw:

ChubbyThePhat posted:

I'm not even in a support role any more and I have to deal with X-Y problems almost daily.

Those, too.
I believe it was this thread, or the general "I work in IT" thread that taught me the term "X-Y Problem."

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Merijn posted:

Our boss just called an all-hands meeting to discuss COVID-19 handling. We're all supposed to lug our desktops home and use the VPN, instead of using remote viewing software, or laptops. I guess?

At least our company is all laptops already, so the announcement this morning that mandatory WFH would start Monday was less painful. Less. I'm the computer toucher, so I hated my entire day.

MJP posted:

Big shoutout to everyone here and all the homies not in this thread that aren't getting or won't be getting WFH, and/or have to deal with helpdesk or support stuff during this time. I can't imagine it's easy to deal with the influx of "my VPN no worky" crap, doubly so if they're still making you come into the office.

I will do all I can not to add to your burden from my end. Stout hearts, comrades.

Oh, yeah, I'm *so* looking forward to Monday.
In case you couldn't smell it, that was sarcasm.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Hughmoris posted:

I got an AOL cd with a free 1000 hours lying about here somewhere...

I have a box of them because I'm a packrat. Mint in mint packaging, even some in those nifty tin boxes they used at the height of making money hand over fist.

I have a CD copy of 98SE lying around somewhere that I used to keep on my desk at work. I'd threaten to install it on people's computers when they pissed me off :v:

Pretty sure I have one of those, too. And WinMe, since that's what the computer I built in a class for it used. And about a dozen or so OEM HP Windows 2000s, XPs, and 7s. Why yes, $job-1 was an HP shop, why do you ask?

CollegeCop posted:

I have the 3.5" floppy set for Win95 somewhere in this office, just waiting to be uncovered like some ancient relic.

I'm sure my son will steal that, as well. He likes proof that I am old.

That I don't have, but I'm pretty sure I still have Apple System 6 and System 7 on floppies. I know I have it on CD. And several floppy drawers of software and files. And .MODs. So many .MODs.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Oh yeah, I totally have my old System 7.5 installer disc, and one for some version of OSX...Snow Leopard, I think? I want to say it had a pretty snowy kitty on the cover.

Oh, for OS X I have discs for every major version, OEM and retail, in most cases. For earlier stuff, I have disc images, but only a few physical copies. That all has actually come in handy relatively often, given the way Apple drops support for older machines on a regular basis.

mllaneza posted:

Yeah, that was 10.6. Notable for two things: being a significant performance improvement on the same hardware compared to 10.5, and for being the version Apple had certified UNIX 2003, making Apple the largest true Unix vendor in history overnight. Unix on the desktop happened in June 2009.

I actually did not know that last part. Neat!

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

D. Ebdrup posted:

A bug report is being filed ITT:
ID: 42
Observation: 2020 contains a lot of virus.
Solution: Investigate possibility of reinstalling.

The tough part will be finding a time for a maintenance window when no one will be using the year, *if* you can find the install media.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Fortis posted:

I was pretty excited that we got to prove how robust our WFH infrastructure was and how valuable Office 365 could be to the relatively new upper management team as we scrambled to accommodate social distancing mandates across the company. Unfortunately, despite being the one who orchestrated and oversaw pretty much the entire aforementioned process, I couldn’t prove to them that my position as a second-in-command IT manager was valuable enough to not lay off about a week later.

At least my and the team’s efforts ultimately helped facilitate them breaking the news to me over a Teams video call. :suicide:

Looks like 2020 is :yotj: for me whether I’m ready or not. Stay safe out there, fellow IT goons.

Oh, that sucks.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

kensei posted:

One of our users opened a ticket with our outsourced helpdesk asking for Zoom to be set up. It was escalated to my team. We use RingCentral phones and thereforre have RingCentral meetings installed, including the Outlook plugin.

:sigh:

Doesn't Ring Central use a version of Zoom, just branded for Ring Central?

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Jaded Burnout posted:

I didn't used to think this was a realistic thing that happened but I've been running a web development business for 7 years now and I still don't have a website for it.

Like, I have a domain with email, but over HTTP it doesn't even resolve.

I'm a desktop support guy, and all my machines are at least 5 years old. Most are older by more than a couple years.
And ye, almost all of them are castoffs and retired units from previous and current jobs.

taqueso posted:

When I was like 20 and not yet jaded, I didn't understand why older people who were also nerds didn't want to spend 23 hours a day tweaking their PC and learning how to use software they had no real practical use for. Now I know they are just tired of dealing with all this poo poo.

...and that's an accurate summary of why.

Arquinsiel posted:

See that poo poo isn't on. I have a goonfriend who helped me learn all the security when I went back to college and I made drat sure that if I was turning up at his house I brought snacks for him, his girlfriend, and his pet rats. I had known him for about 25 years at that point, and still made sure to show that it was appreciated as best I could at the time.

You're a good person, the sort I would do favors for.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

nominal posted:

My boss: Oh, it's DEFINITELY going to eat up a lot of time. They're going to be stuck with that loaner PC for AGES waiting for it to get shipped out, looked at, and then finally come back. We might even sit on it for a while after that. Then, we're going to nail that user's rear end to the wall. :black101:

I had no idea he was that petty, and I love it.

That's not petty, to me. That's fighting basic sociopathic, unprofessional behavior
If a user hosed up, I'm much more likely to cut them some slack. You lie to me, and you're now my absolute lowest priority. Mistakes and accidents happen, and I can forgive that - bullshitting me is a (bad) deliberate choice. We will likely find out what you did, and the repair vendor definitely will.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Arquinsiel posted:

All the driving counts as work time. Of course they'd rather drive into work.

Also, it's probably more stupidity than laziness. Way too many people are completely baffled by technology of any sort, to the point of fear. I'm surprised that most of them can operate a car successfully without dying instantly. I mean, you have to move hand, feet, and head simultaneously! I thought they'd probably forget to breathe.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

This dude has sat around doing nothing for 4 years.
I'm pretty sure he's just fine getting paid to sit at home and do nothing as he is to sit in the car and drive here to do nothing so I don't see the point.

They just put in a ticket for him to have access to the ERP system so he can enter his timesheet.
My response was ":stare: what the gently caress has he been doing for the last 4 years? not getting paid?"
"No, his supervisor has just been doing it for him, and didn't know that he didn't have permissions to do it himself." :psyduck:

That guy actually seems to have figured it out, somehow.
Interesting how WFH is highlighting the people who have been skating through.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

klosterdev posted:

Imagine sitting at home for four years just getting direct deposited every 2 weeks

Even better than Milton! No one to steal his stapler.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

It must be maddening to have to stay home all day with a parent who is a moron.
I mean, jeeze, everyone knows it’s 5G that gives you the corona.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Not COVID-related, but I once spotted this SSID, at work:

edit: yes, that's Windows 7 (in 2015. They were *finally* rolling out Win 10 when I left in 2017.)

Darchangel fucked around with this message at 17:25 on May 12, 2020

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

LethalGeek posted:

I wanted to share this one part of a tale from the awful r/relationships thread, mostly so this group can gawk at the series of decisions made by some users:
Also can you spot where "IT person" hosed up?

Do you mean "IT person" who's writing it, and somewhere along the line agreed to do IT support for family, or "IT person" at the company that's letting employees use personal machines for confidential business?

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

I don't need it - I have an N95 dust mask with replaceable filters I bought for mowing and woodworking I bought before "these uncertain times" - but I'm buying that, just because.
Same store also has a Xenomorph one: https://octophant.threadless.com/designs/xenophobe/accessories/face-mask/layered

klosterdev posted:

Putting all our systems, including laptops on the new domain as part of the rebuild. Friday. User comes in and grabs the laptop she gave us to wipe and re-image off the table while everybody but me is out deploying, and I'm out at lunch. User didn't login on-site to cache her credentials, she doesn't even know the password to her new domain account. Just took it.

A ticket came in on Saturday. User can't login, has critical things to finish by Monday afternoon. Reply first thing on Monday for her to come to the building so we can get her set up.

User doesn't want to come back in, is upset because the laptop was supposed to be finished.

I sincerely love users who create problems and hen are upset that they created a problem. They sustain my rage and general distaste for the human race. They allow me to target, rather than hating everyone. Some of the time.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Data Graham posted:

"Reverted."

God DAMMIT.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Moatman posted:

Cut holes for the filter mounts and wear it as a mask for your mask

doublin' up for safety.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

larchesdanrew posted:

I close on my house on July 8th. My last day in this place is June 30th. I submitted my notice and they began advertising for my position.

They are only advertising at community colleges :yotj:

Now you know your perceived value to the company.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Roundboy posted:

ALL OF THESE JOBS ARE YOURS
EXCEPT IT MANAGER
ATTEMPT NO RESUMES HERE

Nice.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

dragonshardz posted:

A ticket came in.

Tasty luddite word salad. This is on a day where I'm already busy, but I seem to have become the dumping ground for every ticket that takes >2 but <100 brain cells to accomplish.

...how does one fail at saving a document? That's impressive, even for a typical user. Every app mentioned in the word salad uses the same shortcut.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

The bigger the warning, the better the treasure. Better just putting basic warnings out - the human brain is perverse.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Entropic posted:

the best idea is the "Ray Cats":

I like the idea of an atomic priesthood. Brings to mind "A Canticle For Leibowitz"

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

One of the enduring Something Awful Forums stories from yesteryear that is burned into my brain is the story of how the UK voice for SMS text-to-speech was Tom Baker, and one goon accidentally hit the wrong contact when sending a message, resulting in his girlfriend's parents being woken up by a very dirty message from Tom Baker.

... I would listen to anything read by Tom Baker, I think.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

I love it when reality kicks management in the crotch.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

larchesdanrew posted:

I couldn't possibly fully explain this guy here, but he's faculty, he's insufferable, and he's a constant pain in my rear end. He's been here, like, all of two months (he worked here for years and years previously, left, and then came back), and he's immediately tried to do my job (calling vendors, getting quotes, attempting to submit requisitions, installing software, etc...) at every turn. I came in one day to find he had installed his own network in parallel to the school's in his office and he was mad I forced him to take it all down.

The "IT Request" he is mentioning is a list of 73 tasks organized by location that he wants completed by the end of summer, which includes such trivial tasks as "replace all projectors with better projectors" and "install 2020 versions of software they stopped making 15 years ago" and "swap all computers in these two classrooms, even though they have the exact number of the exact same type of computer."

I will not be completing these tasks. I will not be giving you admin access to anything you indescribable twat. My last day is next Tuesday. I am out of town until this Friday. I will have one day left on campus and that will be spent clearing out my office and wiping any evidence of my existence from this godforsaken state.

Best of luck, fucko.

PS: Job interview in about an hour and a half. wish me luck or something.

To top it off, he's also in academia, and still can't use apostrophe-S properly.
Good luck!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

CollegeCop posted:

drat. Blocked on my work network.

Discord, however, is not.

Our blocked sites list is... rather inconsistent.

Youtube - blocked
Facebook - blocked
Twitter - blocked
Instagram - blocked
Reddit - not blocked
Imgur - not blocked
Slack - blocked
Discord - not blocked
Netflix, HBO Go, Disney+ - not blocked, but buffer so bad as to be unwatchable
HBO Max - not blocked works perfect

Slack, a legit business collaboration client, is blocked on an enterprise network. Checks out.