Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Math You posted:

Is there a primer on how "giving the land back" is supposed to work? I hear it a lot and never an explanation of which land and how that looks. It honestly sounds pretty stupid to me and I'm 100 percent behind actually putting $$ to reconciliation. I will happily admit that I'm not particularly steeped in knowledge on this subject, and my ignorance is my own, but if generally well meaning individuals are in the dark on this subject it doesn't speak well for the messaging.

I take it no one ITT has given away their land?

Fortunately there are legal documents known as "treaties" that spell out exactly how this works should the government ever decide to obey the law.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

My (black) friend moved to Saskatchewan for a huge work opportunity.

She sent her family back within 6 months and gave her boss an ultimatum within a year.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

RealityWarCriminal posted:

https://mobile.twitter.com/CanadianPolling/status/1541590348430016512

I'm all the lib voters eager to vote for a different Laurentian elite

Also known as a liberal

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Canada is bad and should feel bad

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

ArriveCAN is also down, meaning you may have difficulty entering the country

I'm sure the government will let CBSA know, just like they did for the BC floods, and for cancer patients, etc. lolololl

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Pretty hosed up of Canada to allow Germany to decide on its own energy policy. Can't wait to get sanctioned by the US.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Tax the rich and literally use it to build more supply capacity.

The problem with managing inflation with interest rates alone is by definition it lowers demand by impoverishing people, which then removes incentive for businesses to create more supply.

When we read about shortages/inflation, it really means "oh no! people's human needs are being met! this is bad because number!"

Better punish the poor with unemployent! Not to actually reverse inflation, just to slow the rate of increase. So now they have less money but still pay the higher prices. This is good somehow!

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Love to trumpet spray covid on my students lol

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Yeah there's huge drama in rv parks across Ontario because of sales during covid, border shutdowns stopping the usual Florida migration, and boomers downsizing their houses into RVs.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Cops need to be equipped for an unpredicatble environment, what if there's a mass shooting and they have to rush to the bank to give their friend $500,000?

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

lol

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

This thread made me think what if Jack was somehow alive and now I'm depressed as hell

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Because 2011 was the first and only time I ever had hope for the future before I knew about the prostate cancer gun

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Sorry for being hopeful once 10 years ago forgot i was in Cspam

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Weird, when did Jesse stop believing NATO propaganda?

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

federalism is a hell of a drug

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

I got a call from accounting once, saying that they just received an $800 monthly bill for the ETR

I thought for a second and answered, "yep sounds about right"

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Guest2553 posted:

the only people in I've met who use it are those who can claim the expense and hate their employer enough to waste their money.
gently caress that highway.

It's expensive but it's also replacing staying at the hotel so it's a wash for my employer.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Frosted Flake posted:

the pathway infrastructure is fine for recreational cycling but not actual transportation

Also the cops might beat the poo poo out of you or run you over for the offense of riding a bike on the bike path

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Crow Buddy posted:

I would prefer that the fate of all our healthcare be subject to the whims of a government elected by ~37% of us, with no recourse from any other level of government

That's why it shouldn't be provincial tyvm

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Crow Buddy posted:

Why? 37% doesn't get you a majority in my province, but does federally.

Just looking at Ontario:

1990 NDP majority, 37%
2011 one seat short of a Liberal majority, 37%
2014 Liberal majority with 38%

COPE 27 has issued a correction as of 03:28 on Aug 14, 2022

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Yeah it's 1/3 of the country though also I don't know as much about other provinces and I don't feel like scrolling through wikipedia 13 times

e: Also CAAQs won 2018 majority with 37% of the vote

COPE 27 has issued a correction as of 03:32 on Aug 14, 2022

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

2021 Nova Scotia PC majority with 38% of the vote
2017 Nova Scotia lib majority with 39% of the vote
2003 Nova Scotia PC majority with 36%

2018 New Brunswick Liberal majority with 37%

2019 PEI PCs 1 seat short of a majority with 36%

1978 Yukon party wins majority with 37% of the vote

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

My point is that the provinces are no more democratic than the feds but they are able to kill public health care with 1000 cuts without paying a price electorially because the politcal responsibility for it is so diffused

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Rutibex posted:

"destroyed" as in "smoked by owners and their friends"

Isn't there a weed shortage lol

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

My favourite thing is how it took grocery store beer for them to let you look at the selection

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Tankie means you don't want to send in the tanks when the CIA tells you to

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

got invited this week to my dad's friend's cottage in the muskokas. there are cottages for sale up here for 16 million dollars, belts being sold at the farmer's market cost 120$, and meanwhile it's a three year waiting list to find a family doctor. this nation is diseased.

I'm having some work meetings near the area and the dissonance between staying at a $400/ night resort and the nicest restaurant in town being a pizza pizza is something

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Anti italian racism is good and cool.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

I would regularly see 1 or 2 guys wearing suits riding fatbikes to work through the absolutely disgusting slush in Ottawa.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

skewetoo posted:

"you are not welcome!" i post mencaingly

Mods? Mods?!

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Terror Sweat posted:

Man what's the point of this thread. Anytime people argue for a couple pages the mods get involved, shut down any unapproved discussion and probe everyone. You either agree with the hivemind or go away, it's stupid as hell.

I can't believe I have to say this but it was a joke

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Killin_Like_Bronson posted:

Leave me alone I identify as a Deputy Prime Minister

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

megahtz posted:

what are you guys mad about

Capitslism

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Hopefully she can recover at a bay street fundraiser

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Arivia posted:

i'm very sorry for accidentally leading this thread into a mess more toxic than oilsands tailings ponds friends

Do you mean ETHICAL shitposting?

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Also there was a risk that your corporation would no longer be in NAFTA if you were headquartered in Quebec

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

An internal report from last January says you can't call Freeland a bitch

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Critics warn Ottawa's new 'luxury tax' on pricey cars, planes and boats could backfire

I wonder who these critics and experts are lol

quote:

Don Drummond, a former federal assistant deputy minister of fiscal policy and a former chief economist for TD Bank

quote:

Pat Sturgeon, who sells sailboats costing up to $700,000

quote:

Mark Delaney is director of sales and marketing at a Vernon, B.C., company that manufactures boats worth up to $500,000

Great sourcing CBC!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

megahtz posted:

why do we subsidize the purchase of luxury electric vehicles

Because Laurentian elites buy them