Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

I'd like to point out that Doug Fords buck-a-beer promise is basically Mr. Burns plan to swindle the power plant union. Free beer in exchange for their dental plan.

Implying that voters are dumber than Homer Simpson.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Yinlock posted:

telling that trumpian politics failed everywhere else but were a rousing success in our idiot province

Especially Southern Ontario.

I just moved here, beginning to see what its all about.

Also I know dental isn't part of our coverage, NDP was offering it.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Postess with the Mostest posted:

If kathleen wynne hadn't made my hydro bill three hundred and fifty beers a month we wouldn't be in this situation

Also Wynne is bad, but like... Ford is better?

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Presence posted:

glad i just moved to quebec*

*in time for the CAQ to win in the fall

At least I'm out of the maritimes... It's all better than there.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Baloogan posted:

3rd world canada
seriously lol that no canadian media dares report of the full extend of the opioid related deaths there

Was living in rural PEI, there was a bust up the highway. 20,000 fentanyl pills found, there's like 135,000 people in the entire province. My village of 700 had an ambulance at least once a day, way more after pogey day.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

A big problem with living in NB (i did for 15 years) is you get locked into a seriously impoverished economy, one with massive downward mobility. People always say its such a nice place to raise kids, as someone there as a teenager and young adult it blows. Nothing to do but drink or get high, part-time minimum wage jobs are all that's available. Everyone I knew either got out or got poorer year to year, with a few exceptions. It really features the Appalachian learned helplessness, pretty depressing, so few young people.

Don't get locked into an economy heading for collapse.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Dinosaurtrain posted:

:same: but Vancouver

What an amazing loving country we have. Such diversity in reasons you can't afford to live places.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Worth compounding levels of broke brain

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Robot Style posted:

Hey man, it's real - I was just there visiting family. My cousin wouldn't shut up about how great Putin is, and kept complaining about women and "colored people" being in the military.

Last time I was there he and his dad beat his gay brother half to death around the campfire.

Alberta is thriving.

that got dark real fast.

Was also just there, it's amazing how quick that stuff gets a hold of people. My mom just moved to Edmonton, shes pretty left leaning. However, shes already switched positions on KM, saying that if it goes though it will be very good for the value of the house she just bought.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

James Baud posted:

Absolutely shocked the guy who thinks 150k person Langley, 20 minutes outside Vancouver, is the epitome of rural boondocks is unfamiliar with the concept of an agency liquor store and thinks they'd be full of microbrews.

(Although this one's partly PT6A's fault for making it sound like a standalone business instead of an aisle or two in the only local general store.)

Look at this guy, clearly never seen a liquor agent in rural New Brunswick or PEI. An aisle or, heavens be blessed, two would have been amazing. I have seen just a single fridge door with Moosehead called a liquor agent.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Bernier left CPC, possibly starting his own party. Oh god yes

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

infernal machines posted:

I love that word... Refoooooorm

I can't help but hear that stupid voice whenever I hear the word "reform"

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Yinlock posted:

https://twitter.com/machiavelli14/status/1032449969259610112

some totally real people are furious that the other nazis are excluded from the conservative meet n greet

Oh please let Reform 2.0 happen. I fear it would would be too good for hellworld, or alternatively, they would win somehow.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

MonsieurChoc posted:

I like how both conservatives and liberals fall for Trudeau's "Harper with a smile" gimmick.

I think it's effective because it's true, he's basically a placeholder similar to Ignatieff. It'll be Fordmania next.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

The Liberals have believed that for about every leader except maybe Paul Martin, it doesn't change the fact that Ignatieff was a placeholder. Lots of conservatives love Scheer, but he's likely going to be remembered as a placeholder while the party shifted even further right,

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Yinlock posted:

we're currently in the Late Obama era, people are starting to realize that trudeau is full of poo poo but are going to move rightward again despite the fact that right-wing policy is what's causing their problems in the first place

It's brutally painful to always be like 5 - 9 years behind the states politically. It's like seeing a car coming barreling towards you, but you can't get out of the way...

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

I've never really followed Quebec politics, but now that my brother lives there I am getting a bit more familiar. I can't help but feel like Quebec politics is to Canadian politics as Canadian politics is to America. Ya got more parties, most are worthless, and trends lag behind.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Why boycott Victoria?

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Powershift posted:

Build a wall around Victoria to keep the olds in.

I was just in Victoria, and there are certainly a lot of olds, but I can't help but feel like anyone who thinks this way has never been to the maritimes. Nothing but olds.

Virtual Russian has issued a correction as of 18:25 on Aug 27, 2018

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

THC posted:

another impressive foray into campus issues from open-mindedness award recipient and mascot of the incel dork web, Lindsay Shepherd

https://twitter.com/NewWorldHominin/status/1024853270349537281

a celebrated champion of free speech and open inquiry, Lindsay commands the respect of some of the finest minds the internet has to offer

https://twitter.com/EndAllDisease_/status/1027969476673691648
https://twitter.com/EndAllDisease_/status/1027970263202185216

amazing levels of expertise, humility and moral clarity on display here. truly these are the new intellectual titans of our time

https://twitter.com/Zankokuna_Hero/status/1033328802666098688
https://twitter.com/ElderToady/status/1033231468154118144
https://twitter.com/Adhoc_hk/status/1033357076003794944
https://twitter.com/_Arrian__/status/1033450890345115648

We have some grade-A chuds here in KW. Way too many STEM lords too.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Lets not forget he's currently loving trade up big time with China and the EU.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

i'm specifically suggesting we let the negotiations remain stalled and hope that internal pressure forces their hand because there's nothing to be gained by allowing the US to act in bad faith. if need be, let the agreements lapse completely.

seeing as we're shitposting in c-spam i'm not going to prepare a well considered policy document for continued trade negotiations, but the desired outcome would be for them to return to the table with the intent to negotiate rather than dictate.

Not to mention Trudeau could score some easy, and desperately needed, points at home by looking tough and standing up to Trump. As much as I despise Trudeau, Scheer is looking really bad.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Dinosaurtrain posted:

let's threaten to withhold peacekeeping assistance. check and mate Americans

Lets start selling LAV's to inner city gangs in the US?

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Postess with the Mostest posted:

This is exactly what I'm saying, I don't think they have to negotiate with us at all. A big hit to the auto industry or oil might be enough to pop our only other industry, housing. The states have a great economy, top notch, diversified, innovative and chugging right along. Nothing Canada can do affects the US in a noticeable way and even if we could, it would hurt us 10x more. They are a juggernaut, we are a banana republic of lovely oil that only pipes to the US, overpriced houses, cars that americans make here and send back because we have banana republic wages (in USD) and cronjob twitter based IT.

It'd be fun to see trudeau walk away like "we're not a 53rd state, canadian sovereignty blablabal going to be difficult, irrational, trade war". Might be his best chance to get re-elected before the factories and jobs move back down.

Bring on the housing collapse! Housing shouldn't be a luxury commodity and gently caress speculators.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

i too agree that we should sit back and watch the results of america's strategy of starting trade wars on every front simultaneously.

perhaps we can even take this opportunity to diversify our own trade away from the 800lb syphilitic gorilla of international affairs, or not, whatever.

Yeah, America will never be the same, trade wars will be a norm for republicans from here to the end. We should cozy up to the EU some more or something, maybe develop a just and independent economy?

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

if you live in the gtha or gvrd you'll be fighting gangs of cannibals in the streets if things collapse badly enough to make housing "affordable"

As a Canadian I naturally live in one of those zones, and that would own so much. Also I might be able to get a home that way.

All joking aside, we need a massive overhaul of how we approach housing. Where I am there are condos going up constantly, but units get bought up by speculators and sit empty. The building that went in a year back a block down from me has been sold out for 9 months now, but at night only ever has like two lights on. The house across from me has been sold three times in a year, no ones moved in, just some cosmetic work and gets flipped each time. There is tons of housing, its just insanely overpriced due to speculation causing artificial shortages. A crash in which a gov't bailout prevented people from losing their home, but in which speculators lost everything would rule so much.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

vyelkin posted:

lol that you think in a crash the government would save homeowners instead of speculators

yeah we would need a different government. Really though, just embrace that a massive crash is coming and no ones going to be saved.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Baloogan posted:

the north is gonna open up due to global warming and its gonna be cool up there, a new land rush

lol, as permafrost retreats the north is becoming a swampy hellscape. Its basically just becoming a new and exciting inhospitable climate. The idea that climate change is going to make Canada and Russia's north better is asinine.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

The Canadian chud contingient seems to be moving along at a solid pace, almost at par with America. My main point of contact is going on about how Pinochet was actually good, because Venezuela is bad.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Still sort of amazed that a business called Club Super-Sexe can go under.

Get owned. My only memory of Super-Sexe is walking by it in my early 20's and having the bouncer, who was basically a mildly anthropomorphic weasel, harass me and my friends to come see tits. It was also the place a super-rich kid in my high school I was friends with would never stop talking about, despite having obviously never been there.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Dreylad posted:

The only good thing going on is the shitshow in New Brunswick.

Extremely 2018 statement.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

SENSUAL DAD KISS posted:

I don't know if I'd say gender is the most fundamental tool to controlling the population.

As a man whose lived on the fringes of what is considered acceptably masculine I can say its pretty powerful, but its generally applied as subtle coercion. I would say it is the fundamental tool, it maintains and stabilizes all other tools. It requires two stable binaries that ruthlessly police the action of their gender and the other gender, making sure there is little room for those that break this structure. It is breaking down, but access to basically any power or advancement in our society depends of your adherence to this system, look at how important the traditional family is in politics.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

THC posted:

whatever you saw from them, it gets worse:

re: Shepherd's attempt to schedule a talk by Faith Goldy at her school

That class also literally exists, they teach the charter in like 100 level intro courses, as well as having higher level courses dedicated to it. Talk about whining.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

THC posted:

Wilfred Laurier University’s resident promoter of “open inquiry” who “left the left” because of political correctness, and is definitely NOT a Nazi, is suddenly very concerned about “an overall lack of white babies”

https://twitter.com/NewWorldHominin/status/1072697293462220802

People literally refer to Miss/Brampton as Browntown in the KW area... This concern is not surprising. Also what is with Laurier? I get that being a party school attracts some chuds, but it seems to go way beyond "a few bad apples"

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

DariusLikewise posted:

the premier was in Brandon yesterday to announce around 500k of funding for various crime things. nothing to deal with meth, not even like money to police to buy extra heavy duty billy clubs to beat up dealers or anything. they just dont care, they are just going to let people die

I was in Shilo like a decade back, i'd go to Brandon to get away on weekends. It was bad ten years back, and I distinctly remember being warned about the police there too. I can't imagine it's gotten better in the past decade. Also I cannot imagine there is much to do for fun besides meth in the Shilo/Brandon area.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Fallen Hamprince posted:

It's extremely irresponsible for the Trudeau government not to prosecute exponents of the Qanuck conspiracy movement; it has far too little Canadian Content and clearly presents a threat to Canada's own Conspiracy Theory culture.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

DariusLikewise posted:

is there a lot of people in ontario that care about oil? the liberals courtship of albertan voters is baffling tbh

Like, literally anyone could tell you that a Liberal, especially one named Trudeau, is never ever going to win over Alberta conservatives. I cannot fathom why they are making this choice, its literally insane.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Hand Knit posted:

Picked myself up something to read. Might even make a thread of it.

Even more centrist Zhivago?

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Welp, i'm never moving again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

At school in GTA, even some of the most right-wing people i'm friendly with are talking about how Ford's rollback on OSAP is naked class warfare.