Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

DariusLikewise posted:

the manitoba cabinet shuffle, brought to you by crown royal

https://twitter.com/ianfroese/status/1483516204396470274?s=20

we have three(3) health ministers now

what on earth was even the ostensible point of this shuffle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

TheKingofSprings posted:

Smoke and mirrors?

Government of MB is now microdosing ministries

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

quote:

Ontario Premier Doug Ford says the province is set to make an announcement later this week about reducing COVID-19 restrictions.

Ontario is reporting a record 4,183 people in hospital with COVID-19 today, including 580 people in intensive care.

That’s up from 3,887 in hospitals on Monday, though not all hospitals report data from the weekends.

There are 37 new COVID-19 deaths being reported today.

Ontario is reporting 7,086 new cases of COVID-19, though Public Health Ontario has said the number is likely higher because of a current policy restricting who can access tests.

It seems awfully mean of the National Post to include these damning statistics in their announcement-of-an-announcement when there's so much to look forward to.

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war
Jordan Peterson is now professor emeritus.

quote:

https://nationalpost.com/opinion/jordan-peterson-why-i-am-no-longer-a-tenured-professor-at-the-university-of-toronto
I recently resigned from my position as full tenured professor at the University of Toronto. I am now professor emeritus, and before I turned sixty. Emeritus is generally a designation reserved for superannuated faculty, albeit those who had served their term with some distinction. I had envisioned teaching and researching at the U of T, full time, until they had to haul my skeleton out of my office.
First, my qualified and supremely trained heterosexual white male graduate students (and I’ve had many others, by the way) face a negligible chance of being offered university research positions, despite stellar scientific dossiers. This is partly because of Diversity, Inclusivity and Equity mandates (my preferred acronym: DIE). These have been imposed universally in academia, despite the fact that university hiring committees had already done everything reasonable for all the years of my career, and then some, to ensure that no qualified “minority” candidates were ever overlooked. My students are also partly unacceptable precisely because they are my students. I am academic persona non grata, because of my unacceptable philosophical positions. And this isn’t just some inconvenience. These facts rendered my job morally untenable. How can I accept prospective researchers and train them in good conscience knowing their employment prospects to be minimal?

Peterson is quitting academia because he just cares so much about the fate of his grad students, unlike literally every professor ever. In particular, his straight white grad students, who have been submerged beneath the waves of grievance culture like puppies in a bathtub.

Maybe if they were smart they would be gay??

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

Mister Speaker posted:

How likely is it that he was actually pushed out? I don't know much about academic culture but it seems to me that resigning from a tenured position like his isn't something a lot of people would do.

My guess would be that Peterson is shunned by his colleagues due to his unconscionable (and incomprehensible) philosophical opinions, and the rank odour of meat sweat.

Seriously, it's pretty hard to go to work every day at place where everybody thinks you're scum. Hence the vitriol for his colleagues in the linked piece.

Financially, he's probably doing just fine, too, thanks to lectures, book sales, Patreon, etc. All of us have a copy of 12 Rules for Life on our shelves, and very clean rooms.

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

Dr. Jordan B. Peterson, Emeritus posted:

And it’s not just the universities. And the professional colleges. And Hollywood. And the corporate world. Diversity, Inclusivity and Equity — that radical leftist Trinity — is destroying us. Wondering about the divisiveness that is currently besetting us? Look no farther than DIE. Wondering — more specifically — about the attractiveness of Trump? Look no farther than DIE. When does the left go too far? When they worship at the altar of DIE, and insist that the rest of us, who mostly want to be left alone, do so as well. Enough already. Enough. Enough.

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

Albino Squirrel posted:

A friend of mine told me she tried to listen to it, but her brain just started making Charlie Brown teacher sounds.

Which might just be the benzos, I dunno.

Your friend's benzos? Or Peterson's?

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

Rutibex posted:

they care, they care deeply that people don't get used to emergency pandemic support and the government "doing things"

there was a coordinated effort from capital planned to get the peasants back to work and wean them off government support. this plan did not anticipate omicron, but they are doing it anyway. as a result everything is going to collapse

Pretty much.

What did you do with your CERB bucks?

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

Rutibex posted:

I bought tools and learned how to do wood working. I figured hyper inflation would make them valuable and debt collectors can't steal my tools without actually physically fighting me, unlike a bank account.

Hell yeah.

I tried to expand my hobby farm into a bigger business while getting paid by the government. The effort:reward ratio just never came out in our favour, unfortunately. Well, it might have if we had been wiling to hire """""""interns"""""" or pay garbage wages for back-breaking work, but we weren't.

On the plus side, we're ready, food production-wise, for the collapse of capitalist society.

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

Rutibex posted:

I tried to grow potatoes but they all got dug up by a squirrel :(

Try this one simple trick: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DTvS9lvRxZ8

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

Chamale posted:

The collapse isn't going to have a moment where everyone agrees that we've collapse. It'll be larger and larger tent cities, and more and more people dying in hospitals, while millions of Canadians say "I still have a job and a house, it's fine!"

So living in Victoria.

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

quote:

https://www.ctvnews.ca/mobile/canada/nearly-60-per-cent-of-canadians-find-it-difficult-to-feed-their-families-poll-finds-1.5748898
A new poll has found that nearly 60 per cent of Canadians are having a hard time providing enough food for their families.

The poll from the Angus Reid Institute, released on Friday, shows that 57 per cent of Canadians reported having a difficult time feeding their family recently, an increase from 36 per cent when the question was last asked in 2019.

Data released on Wednesday from Statistics Canada found that items such as cooking oil (41.4 per cent) and white sugar (21.6 per cent) have already seen significant price spikes between December 2020 and December 2021.

In the before times, I could stave off depression by mixing sugar and oil together to form a mood-lifting paste.

For real though, figure out how to garden. This isn't going away.

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

a primate posted:

gardening would be great if we didn’t all live in 600 sq ft boxes

I have an 8 acre field available for rent-free gardening if anybody is near Winnipeg. Can provide tools as well.

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war
Look I'm just going to be chilling in my manor while you guys are on the field. If you provide, let's say, 25% of your crop's value to me in cash or kind, I can guarantee your protection.

This opportunity is for people with a *can-do* attitude, who don't mind being levied for armed service occasionally.

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

DariusLikewise posted:

just garden 8 acres guys its so easy

the end of the world might require you to perform physical labour from time to time.

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

Fried Watermelon posted:

How close to winnipeg? How owned were you this year due to the drought?

Within 20 km

It's been a drought since we bought this place 5 years ago. Summers have also been brutally windy and hot. We're OK because we haul water - wells aren't allowed in this RM. On the other hand, the river that supplies our drinking water almost ran dry this year, so...

The best decision we made when we moved in was to fully mulch the house garden, get rid of the raised beds, and go no-till. Permanent mulch means you lose almost no water from the soil to evaporation, and it traps a lot more of the snow melt in situ. You also get massive increases in the long term to the soil organic carbon, which improves water retention.

This past year proved it. While we had a massive crop of tomatoes, peppers, eggplants, and other heat-loving crops, our neighbours with their black soil gardens got hammered by the heat and pests, and had virtually no harvest. If your soil is exposed and it's 35C, it doesn't matter how much you water - evapotranspiration will always exceed input.

Other crops are getting harder to grow, though. Carrots seem to get bitter in the heat, brassicas other than cabbage slow down, and lettuce and spinach bolt almost instantly.

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

the winnipeg thing is a deal breaker though, sorry

good call. Winnipeg is some kind of large-scale exercise in seeing how much ugliness human beings can put up with before they simply wither away from lack of nourishment for their soul.

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

a primate posted:

all I know about Winnipeg is that there’s a mall there called Mall

we're a simple folk. we just need a place to hold the occasional Magic: The Gathering tournament and get mini-donuts.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

redbrouw posted:

Yeah I got a feeling like it's the opening to a very depressing millennial mid life crisis cancon comedy set in Winnipeg called Flat Earth.

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

CrcleSqreSanchz posted:

I am going to baked expectations to drown my sorrow in cake over all this disparaging about my beautiful, racist city.

used to work there.

don't eat there.

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

Randalor posted:

That mall was actually torn down... oh hell, probably over a decade ago now. There's a stand-alone Sobeys and a Dollarama/Peavymart combo there now.

2014 I think.

It's actually dope having a Peavey Mart on the south end of the city. too bad they have no idea how to keep their shelves stocked.

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

crazy eyes mustafa posted:

what was the issue that prevented any two slices from the same cake being equally sized?

owner is a truly vile person. she runs through staff faster than our province runs through premiers. since the staff cycles so frequently, nobody bothers training anybody. I suspect that staff also give extra big slices to their friends and favourite customers.

those cakes can also be pretty stale, which is egregious given the price she charges for them.

I did 2 weeks as a line cook. it was a bait and switch - they promised a higher wage after the "trial" period, but didn't actually deliver. no big loss - the kitchen is loving nasty, there are no proper recipes or procedures, and scheduling seemed to be just random nonsense.

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

CrcleSqreSanchz posted:

*Hurls chocolate and orange cake through window in solidarity*

...but I'd really like some orange and chocolate cake.

I'd like to introduce you to a little place called S².

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

DariusLikewise posted:

this is incredibly surprising considering osbourne village only exists for rich white kids to move to and feel like they are in new york and roughing it or whatever

osborne is a gentrified mess of a neighbourhood now. half the storefronts on the main drag are empty or filled with poo poo because the rents are absurd. they got rid of an awesome vietnamese restaurant (Vi-Ann) so they could build an extra big Shopper's Drug Mart for basically no reason. the zoo/ozzie's is gone and is now a literal hole in the ground. rent also used to be very affordable on river/stradbrook. now it's all bullshit overpriced condos.

wasn't it named like Canada's coolest neighbourhood at one point or something? not no more it ain't.

and for fancy pants, even Segovia is gone.

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

Lostconfused posted:

Freeland is going to be our prime minister one day and she needs to be able to count on her core constituency.

Nazis?

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

Frosted Flake posted:

So why does The Ukraine get a Mech Battlegroup, CSOR, pallets of weapons and $120M cash approved with urgency, but housing doesn’t warrant a policy change, let alone action?

Canada is the babbiest imperial power there is. We need to feel relevant.

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

FormaldehydeSon posted:

The Ukraine, The

A nation with an article in its name couldn't possibly be evil.

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war
Trudeau has agreed to box each and every trucker, in a shocking display of democracy.

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

Maybe the sign continues on the other side.

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

quote:

Wet’suwet’en supporters ‘bring the message home,’ build construction site on pipeline executives’ front lawns

This morning, Toronto supporters of the Wet’suwet’en land defense struggle against the Coastal Gaslink pipeline set up construction sites at the Toronto homes of TC Energy Board Chair Siim Vanaselja and Royal Bank of Canada Executive Doug Guzman. The supporters also flyered the neighborhood with photos of the two men with signs warning, “Your neighbour is pushing the Coastal Gaslink pipeline through Wet’suwet’en Territory at gunpoint.”

Hell yeah

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

gently caress, my order of freedom truckers.

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war
lmao the truck convoy organizers apparently designated Central Vet as a food dropoff location, but didn't deign to tell the business owners.

Central Vet is located on Winnipeg's south Perimeter highway, so I guess the organizers thought it was cool if over 9000 semi trucks show up and block their driveway while poor little puppers piss themselves to death waiting to see a vet.

Freedom is discourtesy to legitimate businesses, I guess. Do truckers hate puppies, now?

Karach has issued a correction as of 23:22 on Jan 24, 2022

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

bunnyofdoom posted:

No. The dude who rammed his truck through the fence of Rideau with guns

It was a Made in Manitoba solution to an imaginary problem.

As was Patrik Mathews.

We definitely don't have a white male domestic terrorism problem.

Let's all focus on Ukraine. You know, where we helped engineer a coup with the aid of domestic terrorists...

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war
i'm the cancer-causing microplastics in the water

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

Futanari Damacy posted:

Yeah thanks Global, really important that the N in Nazi is capitalized, we wouldn't want to show a lack of reverence to them or anything. The (sic) lets you know that the person saying it is wrong and stupid! :dumb:

so the NDP is making her walk back... linking an article which apparently (accurately?) describes Canada's needlessly belligerent pronouncements on Ukraine?

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war
we're going to have a war prime minister.

great hair, though.

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

the double hyphens represent the missing connective tissue between these very separate thoughts.

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war
We have a direct national interest in Ukraine.

*cites indirect, abstract policy reasons*

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

vyelkin posted:

Canada has "a clear and urgent national interest" in protecting "the rules-based international order" and taking a stance to defend "democracy" against "authoritarianism" which is why we're big fans of Jeanine Anez and Juan Guaido and unconditionally support the incontrovertible legal principle that Canadian mining companies are immune to international law.

Peter Munk smiles down on us from the C-suite in heaven.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

CLAM DOWN posted:

i can't wait to see what happens tomorrow in ottawa, god i hope there are taser balls

like every event the Canadian media gets excited about, it will be lame as gently caress, and a harbinger of darker things to come.

Karach has issued a correction as of 19:28 on Jan 27, 2022