Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lambo Trillrissian
May 18, 2007

Mike Danger posted:

That actually brings me to another question: is the 4E Dark Sun campaign setting worth seeking out for someone who is Dark Sun-curious but has never touched the 2E stuff?

I hate myself because I traded away my 4E Eberron book to the used bookstore when I meant to trade in the 3.5 one. I went back a few months later and looked for it but someone bought it. :(

4e Dark Sun captures the setting at a really good point, before the 2e supplement treadmill and novelization tie-ins took it completely off the rails, yet informed by those later developments where it is helpful instead of actively detrimental. Also as has already been mentioned, the math is really good for running 4e mechanics appropriately. Ran a great campaign using it, highly recommend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lambo Trillrissian
May 18, 2007

Roadie posted:

3e had the Touhou problem. 2e is the one that just used public domain art for everything all the way through, IIRC.

2e actually has a lot of really excellent custom art. It was a beautiful well produced book, which makes the theft of all those physical copies (and the troubled production of 3e) even more frustrating. Public domain art has been used in some smaller side supplements, like 3e's "how the heck does the Treasure attribute even work" minibook.

How will 2e print on demand work with its weird coffee table book dimensions? Can they do PoD runs of custom dimensions, or is the whole thing being reformatted to fit typical PoD scale?

Lambo Trillrissian
May 18, 2007

BinaryDoubts posted:

Has anyone ever actually ran a game of Nobilis? My impression from reading 2e was that it was intended as a lovely artistic... thing but maybe not an actual game.

I have a longrunning 3e campaign that is more or less on hiatus because half of my group are juggling a toddler and newborn. 2e is perfectly workable too, though I'm not a fan of its imperator subsystems or the realm and spirit attributes (their 3e replacements are much better even though Treasure is a lot to wrap your head around.) 2e's roundabout problem solving due to not being able to directly affect antagonists is neat, though again I prefer 3e's player-defined wounds system.

There's more game there than a lot of people seem to think, definitely more than other diceless ancestor games like Amber Diceless.

Lambo Trillrissian
May 18, 2007
a queer PoC gets a high profile job in the industry and immediately everyone turns into the internet detective copyright police grasping at straws to ruin them, extremely woke poo poo

Lambo Trillrissian
May 18, 2007

Admiral Joeslop posted:

You can do better than this if you want to actually participate in the conversation.

Are you accusing me of bad faith because I had the audacity to ask you all to think about what you're doing? I shouldn't have to put in an effort here. Consider the context and potential consequences of this poo poo. If this exact conversation was happening on 4chan right now some of you would be in the "fascists in TG" thread condemning it, and you'd be right to. loving shameful.

Lambo Trillrissian
May 18, 2007

Cat Face Joe posted:

hire more women prison guards, am i rite folx

working for a big company that does lovely things (welcome to capitalism) isn't the same as being a loving prison guard, not everyone has the luxury of working for a fluffy feel good nonprofit if they want to eat and pay rent. this is a ridiculous equivalency. i don't like the company i work for but i'm not gonna say that the only acceptable job under capitalism is "unemployed trust fund brat" or that independent creators should be obligated to virtuously starve themselves to death rather than take an opportunity to get paid a real wage for their work. if you have concerns about their position at WoTC being used to pinkwash the company's shady track record, that's totally legit but has barely been the topic here at all, and I'd maybe give them a split second to justify themselves before immediately hauling out the torches?

Catfishenfuego posted:

Apparently the Japanese artist they stole from doesn't count in terms of pretending to care about non white people.

do you think the original artist of a piece produced for a Bandai Namco IP is going to see a single yen from an indie developer paying licensing fees? or does that artist not deserve a job either, seeing as by the standards of the deranged line of thinking that has been escalating in this thread that artist also sold out to a big exploitative megacorporation? there's a big loving contradiction here. it was a crummy lazy thing to do but its incredibly minor, the perceived harm is being blown way out of proportion and it's absolutely ludicrous to dig into it for 3 pages taking a magnifying glass to every piece of work they've ever done. i don't give a gently caress if they've been rude and temperamental, there is always a racialized element to directing a ton of hostile overexaggerated scrutiny against a PoC, they are always going to be in a more fragile and precarious position professionally because we live in hell. i didn't give a poo poo at first but this just keeps going and i really think its cruising towards unhealthy and irresponsible obsessive mock thread thinking. they don't deserve that kind of hostile attention, i don't think its justified and it really could gently caress them over.

Lambo Trillrissian
May 18, 2007

NGDBSS posted:

Does Sigmata mention him at all? Or is that another oversight by the writer?

The Sigmata author doesn't know poo poo about a single god drat thing, so no the historical foundations of actual fascist politics in the US are not addressed.

Lambo Trillrissian
May 18, 2007
Yeah we've tried transitioning a rescue cat to wet food and sometimes it just doesn't take, and this was really hard for me to accept as someone who lost a cat to kidney problems from a life of dry food. Sometimes you just gotta make an unpleasant compromise and meet the animal where its at, even if you're one of those psychotic rich freaks who can afford to feed 4 giant mastiffs raw fresh meat every day. If the critter won't eat it you're SOL.

Are there plans for a rats supplement to compliment dogs/cats in Pugmire

Lambo Trillrissian
May 18, 2007
Massif snubbing the Ennies really warms my heart, hopefully some others will follow suit and it'll prompt people to put together a real award with real submissions and real judges to get real press instead.

Rand Brittain posted:

I admit to thinking that awards are poo poo if Jenna Moran hasn't won one, but that isn't completely unreasonable as a metric.

:hmmyes:

Lambo Trillrissian
May 18, 2007

LatwPIAT posted:

I think to get rid of the horny monsters you'll have to start by putting artists up against the wall. They certainly seem congenitally incapable of not drawing bikini witches and stripper ninjas.

It sure would be nice for the RPG industry to get better at enforcing any kind of standards of professionalism at all for their artists (or anywhere else for that matter.) Just very simple stuff like "actually follow the art direction, or else."

I know there are structural issues that make that Hard but lately it does seem some positive strides are being made, just obviously not in the corners of the industry that are founded on regressive adolescent rage.

Lambo Trillrissian
May 18, 2007

Cat Face Joe posted:

my friend's job created a position like this and they've burned through three in less than two years

I have a particular hate for these kinds of things, because not only are they showboating fake gestures at addressing systemic racism, which would be upsetting enough... but they burn out all the people who take the job. So what ends up happening is not only do the issues not get resolved, but they actually reinforce white supremacy by sucking talented people of colour into these positions and then completely destroying at least their careers in the given industry and sometimes the rest of their lives.

Lambo Trillrissian
May 18, 2007

ZearothK posted:

Oh, no doubt about it. There's plenty to love in the setting. I don't even remember which edition it was, but when I ran SR like seven years ago I read through the book for a few days and then decided to homebrew rules to play it because that felt like less of a pain than trying to deal with that system.

does shadowrun 6e still have the Extremely Cool rules/lore interaction of "Orcs and Trolls aren't any less intelligent than other races, we've realized that has extremely obvious racist implications, oops. Anyways here's the stat caps for all the races, Orcs and Trolls still have a notably lower max intelligence than everyone else."

I forget which edition I was reading when I last cared about the game but that got a good laugh out of me. Shadowrun has always been fraught with terrible ideas from naive white nerds, I think the problems are entirely fixable but would require changing so much there'd definitely be idiot backlash

Lambo Trillrissian
May 18, 2007

this year there was a good punchline to the Long Island Iced Tea blockchain pivot that I'm sure no one could have ever seen coming: they never lifted a single finger to do anything blockchain related and it was all an insider trading scheme.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/07/10/investing/blockchain-long-island-insider-trading/

Lambo Trillrissian
May 18, 2007

Absurd Alhazred posted:

tl;dr is that D&D is essentially a multimedia phenomenon and a brand, and its actual competitors are similar phenomena, like Marvel/Disney, even if they don't go into the RPG space. The closest thing to an RPG-focused competitor is Critical Role, because it's also a multimedia phenomenon.
What the gently caress?!

this is how the world ends: the only competitor to D&D is Critical Role Plays D&D

Lambo Trillrissian
May 18, 2007
I've also run 13th Age as the compromise system for a group split between jaded crunchy grogs and "I just watched Stranger Things/CR and want to try D&D!!!" types

The marginally better narrative flexibility compared to D&D was nice and baked in theater of the mind positioning support was really good for accommodating newbies who expected something like that, but the Icons mechanic was obviously half baked and the sacred cow martial/caster split was excruciatingly painful.

There were real problems at the table when the Critical Role fan Rogue realized that there were absolutely no mechanics empowering her to do Rogue Things the same way the Wizard could do Wizard Things, and that I'd just been doing improv to let her have fun. It feels bad to know that your fun is entirely contingent on the GM making poo poo up while the casters get to affect the world in a way the game supports.

I will say that the encounter design was pretty pleasing to me and there were a lot of good but roughly implemented ideas. Tone deaf "race realist" bullshit aside, Jonathan Tweet's sidebar asides make me pretty confident anything he has to contribute to a new edition will be a net negative.

Lambo Trillrissian
May 18, 2007

is that good posted:

Discussions around gatekeeping as it relates to hobbies feels faintly ridiculous to me. In the academic and minority identity space it's about whether or not you have access to career progression or community support, respectively.

Being gatekept out of tabletop gaming spaces? communities? for liking DnD is an absurd premise - the vast majority of tabletop gaming spaces and communities are exclusively focused on DnD, and the existence of a space where people don't like or don't talk about DnD doesn't meaningfully affect someone's access to games, people to talk to, or media to consume.

It kind of feels like what's being discussed when people talk about gatekeeping here is being kept from the esteem of playing tabletop games the most correctly? idk what do people here actually mean when they're raising it?

THANK YOU, I thought I was losing my mind!

Lambo Trillrissian
May 18, 2007
Yeah Avery Alder has connections and reputation outside of the TG space in the broader fuzzy queer academia and activism worlds, where The Quiet Year and such are thought of more like "cool queer art" rather than "a product that competes in the same industry space as Dungeons and Dragons."

None of that justifies Alder having never been given any TG related awards, mind you. I think we need to start recognizing the flaws in how insular the industry's systems of acclaim and recognition are. Avery moves in different circles and appeals to a different demographic, a lot of people who play Buried Without Ceremony games aren't engaged with TG stuff in the same way that OSR people (as a random example) are, and in the current state of the culture that makes for significantly less pressure on the industry to give due recognition. That needs to change, because people who play Monsterhearts are not any less "real tabletop players" than OSR dungeon crawlers.

Lambo Trillrissian
May 18, 2007

Splicer posted:

Are there any RPGs that do the whole "this stuff is beyond your comprehension and weird stuff is going to happen and it will gently caress you up in unimaginable ways" thing well? WFRP3E's corruption is the only one I've experience with that approaches it but i mean like weird weird, like roadside picnic the original novel: The RPG

Echoing that this is Glitch 100%, and refreshingly all the weirdness and changes characters go through are entirely determined by player agency, instead of a mean spirited plot gotcha or a bad random table roll. The game is very good at encouraging players to buy power now in exchange for disaster later, and providing a framework that guides players to choose for themselves what that disaster should be.

Lambo Trillrissian
May 18, 2007

Splicer posted:

Ah

You see

What I want is a game where characters get all messed up from things they could not have foreseen because crunchy mechanics and tables, but also it's fun and fair.
Ok now I want that too. Someone make a game, please.

Lambo Trillrissian
May 18, 2007
Paranoia reskin where the players are the hapless lackeys of a cult and get resurrected (with random complications) each time they die horribly?

Lambo Trillrissian
May 18, 2007
You can't balance approaching design completely wrong from first principles.

Lambo Trillrissian
May 18, 2007

theironjef posted:

I just don't see that working with so many board games. Some librarian would have to have an inventory tracker for every element of every game so they could sit down and count and eventually come up with "well you lost one 10 dollar bill and one of the community chest cards from this Monopoly.set, and there's supposed to be 26 red cubes in this copy of Stars of Akarios, not 25. Even the basic games like Scarbble would take forever. Gotta make sure there are the right amounts of each of 27 types of tiles. 12 Es and 2 blanks and 9 As and so on.

You say this as if most librarians wouldn't be extremely enthusiastic to run that kind of system. Beats being on "watch for masturbators at the public computers" duty.

Lambo Trillrissian
May 18, 2007

Dawgstar posted:

Weren't they saying at one point they'd get one hundred million or something crazy to get 'bought off?'

They've already played out the whole proceedings in their minds and have foreseen that they will come out of this rich and vindicated. They think like chess. It's already over.

Lambo Trillrissian
May 18, 2007
Also kind of on the edge of MMOs but Path of Exile hideout decor is a big deal, the trade economy relies on meeting players in their homes and people absolutely love to show off.

I feel like that's actually a relatively unexplored space in tabletop design, some groups absolutely love to acquire a base and deck it out with Cool Stuff but it's usually handwaved or a vestigial/supplemental system, the closest I can think of to a game really mechanically focused around specifically developing that fantasy would be... idk, Ars Magica? Blades in the Dark sort of?

Lambo Trillrissian
May 18, 2007
They never had to make MtG more kid friendly anyways, everyone was playing it on the schoolyard in the 90s and there was even a club for it in my middle school. It's a game, it's fantasy, kids will play it and parents will buy it. I still see kids playing casual kitchen table games in local game stores, not anywhere near as many as there used to be, but... there's a lot of different factors going on with that right now!

Lambo Trillrissian
May 18, 2007

moths posted:

E: dude absolutely should have had a lawyer present or at least recorded everything though.

politely asking the hired intimidation goons if they can wait half an hour for my lawyer to drive over

Lambo Trillrissian
May 18, 2007
Picked up Vaults of Vaarn after reading about it around here and it's very cool, when I look at a bunch of random OSR tables I want curated weirdness with an impish authorial voice, not extruded AI slop. I have no doubt you could trivially train an AI to make themed random tables but it's the little interesting flourishes that make them actually fun, not the sheer existence of unending tables to slog through. Adding AI into the mix doesn't really add anything that a basic random number generator can't already do.

Lambo Trillrissian
May 18, 2007

90s Cringe Rock posted:

It's funny, because major inspiration Caves of Qud makes extensive use of procedural generation for the history of the world, and some items. The non-handwritten books are delightfully pure markov chain garbage, but worth xp if you take them to the right place, and they can have directions to a very optional and unnecessary secret if you skim through them looking out for certain key phrases. The devs have given talks on how they use it all.

Of course it helps that the writing in the game is beautiful and weird and has a definite style to it.

Yeah, Qud is great. The writing and careful calibration of the procgen engine are excellent, and I think in a lot of ways Qud's style of generation is more what people actually want when they think of AI content generation but, you know, it's a different technology that requires thought and effort to deploy instead of mashing a bunch of prompts together.

Lambo Trillrissian
May 18, 2007
There was an Andrew W K party line where you could phone a voice actor playing Andrew W K and talk about partying hard for several dollars a minute. Like phone sex but even harder to explain to your wife

There's like a billion examples of artists before radio like Debussy whose tormented origin story is that they fell in love with a high profile entertainer who barely cared they existed but still egged them on through token acknowledgements because rabid fans who'll generate art and hype for you for free are great for a career.

Celebrities taking advantage of their fans were noted by contemporaries in the roman empire

The internet age has only really been a force multiplier increasing the scale of something that's always existed

Lambo Trillrissian
May 18, 2007

Lambo Trillrissian
May 18, 2007

Gatto Grigio posted:

Agreed, managing a goon squad is cumbersome for both players and DM with 5e’s action economy.

A decent solution would be to abstract a squad in a way that it just enhances a PC’s already exisiting combat abilities, like a magic item.

How about we take that excellent idea and sabotage it by turning it into a needlessly complicated extra subsystem that uses different mechanics from every other subsystem.

Lambo Trillrissian
May 18, 2007

theironjef posted:

Post your favorite insane complicated rolling method someone you played with used when they could have just used an array. Mine is "3D6 down the line, repeat six times, arrange each set of six stats as columns in a 6x6 grid, choose any one unbroken vertical, horizontal, or diagonal line."

Back in the early days of 4e before Pathfinder had taken hold I saw an online players wanted pitch from a "hardcore GM true to the real game" running 3.5 and he wanted everyone to roll 1d20 down the line, no mulligans, *after* you've chosen your class. Not complicated but definitely insane.

Lambo Trillrissian
May 18, 2007

Antifreeze Head posted:

I'm going to try that for the next one-shot I run.

My biggest concern is that people already vastly overplay a mild negative modifier, so I shudder to think how someone will believe to be appropriate for an intelligence of two.

Maybe I'd just allow the PC to be whatever in the monster manual seems closest to the stats they get. Let's see what kind of shenanigans a dog bard, awakened tree cleric, mimic sorcerer and bulette theif can get up to!

it did inspire my home group to theorycraft the "1 int, 20 cha Wizard" who covered up not being able to actually cast spells by abusing Use Magic Device skill checks

still better than a 3.5 fighter :(

Lambo Trillrissian
May 18, 2007

Zurai posted:

No, that's demonstrably worse than a 3.5 fighter. They can do the same thing, but have d10 HD and full BAB. EDIT: And more bonus feats.

If I recall correctly the idea hinged around doing dumb stuff to optimize clumsy jank like Craft Construct that was gatekept behind caster level prereqs but technically didn't require actually knowing the spells. But this was a long time ago and we were still basically children so, who knows. I have not thought this much about D&D in a decade so I'm not too worried about being very wrong

Lambo Trillrissian
May 18, 2007
There should be only 4 alignments: Good Evil, Chaotic Lawful, Evil Good and Lawful Chaotic.

Lambo Trillrissian
May 18, 2007
so what I'm hearing is I should write a heartbreaker with a feat that allows players to gain XP while absent, that will fix everything

Lambo Trillrissian
May 18, 2007

Froghammer posted:

Martials getting daily abilities is a sticking point that breaks the brains of a certain kind of gamer for reasons that ultimately boil down to "That's not the way Dungeons and Dragons is supposed to work". It breaking verisimilitude is bunk because there's a million other things that break verisimilitude but are apparently okay (lack of wound penalties is the big one). D&D just has to be shaped like itself to a certain kind of person.

it's been discussed to death a million times but a terrible curse compels me to remind the thread that the argument about dailies/limited martial powers has never held any water even if you take limited martial powers breaking verisimilitude seriously because 3e does the same thing all over the place, including base game core features

quote:

SRD:Stunning Fist
This material is published under the OGL 1.0a.
Stunning Fist [General]
Prerequisites

Dex 13, Wis 13, Improved Unarmed Strike, base attack bonus +8.
Benefit

You must declare that you are using this feat before you make your attack roll (thus, a failed attack roll ruins the attempt). Stunning Fist forces a foe damaged by your unarmed attack to make a Fortitude saving throw (DC 10 + 1/2 your character level + your Wis modifier), in addition to dealing damage normally. A defender who fails this saving throw is stunned for 1 round (until just before your next action). A stunned character can’t act, loses any Dexterity bonus to AC, and takes a –2 penalty to AC. You may attempt a stunning attack once per day for every four levels you have attained (but see Special), and no more than once per round. Constructs, oozes, plants, undead, incorporeal creatures, and creatures immune to critical hits cannot be stunned.
A fighter may select Stunning Fist as one of his fighter bonus feats.

it is pure bullshit and tummyfeels that have more to do with the formatting of the page than the reality of the game mechanics in play at the table

Lambo Trillrissian
May 18, 2007
Believe Women means believe Zak Sabbath pretending to be a woman. If you don't you're a bad ally. Case closed.

Lambo Trillrissian
May 18, 2007

Facebook Aunt posted:

LOL, what an idiot. Yeah it's lousy the company did that, but on the other hand he was getting to build personal connections to whales with poor impulse control. Flip those goobers into supporting your own patreon where you write whatever.

There are also people paying $20-$30 dollars a session (times 6 players) for a "professional" game master to run online games for them. https://startplaying.games/search?gameSystems=world-of-darkness If you're a writer with your name actually in the books you can probably leverage that into making more running games a few nights a week than you make writing the game.

When someone offers you whales you take them.

oh for sure man the writer in question should have been deeply thankful to be paid in ~*exposure*~ instead of a reasonable wage for their work

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lambo Trillrissian
May 18, 2007
the only legitimate tabletop gaming recognition is the Diana Jones award, and it still kind of sucks, but at least the trophy is cool