Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr.Misfit
Jan 10, 2013

The time for
SkellyBones
has come!
More importantly, will you get this to GMT CDG this? Iīm not kidding, Iīd actually pay money for something like that!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Misfit
Jan 10, 2013

The time for
SkellyBones
has come!
Someone should explain to him that, to get paid more, you have to release a product, like a complete or finished session of a game, akin to...chapters, in a book, maybe. Basically, you have to release something to get paid for it. Might be an alien concept for him, though.

Mr.Misfit
Jan 10, 2013

The time for
SkellyBones
has come!
The list of influences reads like something one would read to write a COIN-style boardgame, not a trpg about fighting pulp-style nazis in a Red-Dawnīized ī85 America....makes you wonder if Volko Ruhnke could write a good game about this instead. Probably not, as the design goals between board games and trpgs are wildly different...

Mr.Misfit
Jan 10, 2013

The time for
SkellyBones
has come!

Alien Rope Burn posted:

[...]
I think one of the core issues you run into is that fascism, to an extent, has always preyed on and parasitised itself to our modern image of heroism. Take Werewolf: the Apocalypse, which is loaded with radical leftist politics, yet has the modern White Wolf calling it "heroic fascism", and neither statement feels particularly untrue to me. Or the gyrations of the modern alt-right Star Wars fans who think that the Rebel Alliance was always supposed to be their poor, pitiful, put-upon themselves, hence making the First Order a twisting-around of the franchise. I'm reminded of Umberto Eco's definition of Ur-Fascism (full article here, for those with the time). Essentially, core to Fascism is the notion that its followers are special and heroic, and core to most RPGs is the notion that the characters being played are special and heroic. As such, the notion of "fascism-proofing" an RPG seems like it could be a tall order.
[...]

What about an idea following chinese thought, that those who are player characters are less special and more aberration? Not held up high, but cast down. Or is this just another variant of specialty veiled by a too-similar-logic (totalitarian maoism)?

Mr.Misfit
Jan 10, 2013

The time for
SkellyBones
has come!

Xiahou Dun posted:

How is this Chinese?

What?

Admittingly, the point was overly simplified, though I canīt exactly tell you where I got the thought from, but I remember a discussion...distantly though, about the idea that the chinese monoculture, especially with the rise of Maoism, has tried to further equalize and destroy the idea of the individual as rising up, the western ideal of The Special One seemingly disdained. In a country where youīre one in a billion, letīs say protagonists are so numerous, they either become less special by the sheer size of their number or the idea that they are but a face among many. As such, being a protagonist requires standing out beyond being a protagonist, it requires a change, either for the individual itself or by breaking its own mold, revolution, so to speak.

Sorry, I think Iīm currently speaking in very loose terms.

But, building on this idea also implies the Wuxia. Wuxia works as it does because of the cultural change from the individual to the masses. When heroes are not made by their individuality but by standing out from the people, they become an implicit threat to stability. As such, being outcast for their actions speaks to that idea. They become the fear of the people by taking on the danger, but are thrown outside of the people for it. The problem with this idea would be that by expulsion the people, or the collective self never grows on these fears. The outcast however grows, but only to disdain the people who threw them out. It creates villains, even. Interesting. Sorry, rambling now, I suppose.

Mr.Misfit
Jan 10, 2013

The time for
SkellyBones
has come!

homullus posted:

I unironically love that my brain is disconnected from the internet enough to not know what "sonic mpreg" was.

Lucky you. I know exactly what he means, and due to the DeviantArt-thread am brokebrained enough to imagine it. Help....:eng99:

Mr.Misfit
Jan 10, 2013

The time for
SkellyBones
has come!

homullus posted:

I think the last time we tried this, the idea nova'd almost instantly at an early disagreement over how the judging would actually happen.

On the other hand, in the board game thread, one goon made a BGG guild for SA, so we could all go in and rate our board games, and then see how truly refined our tastes in games were in comparison to the unwashed Dead of Winter/Fluxx masses. Could at least do something like that with RPG Geek, maybe?

Heck ,Iīd be all for it, as has been previously said:

Nothing we can do could be worse than ENnies or the Origin Awards except doing nothing itself!

Remember, if we do nothing, even Rob effing Liefeld is better than us, and no one wants that.

Edit: Admittingly, that was uncalled for.

Mr.Misfit
Jan 10, 2013

The time for
SkellyBones
has come!

theironjef posted:

But can you be as bad as the Diana Jones award? Do you have the raw strength of will?

I donīt think thatīs about raw strength of will and more about we simply donīt have an ugly burned copy of the Indy rpg nor a surpremely ugly object of ridicule to represent SAs special...leanings?

Edit: Also: Most certainly, but do we want to? Done right, this could be a simple choice-by-merit contest.

Mr.Misfit
Jan 10, 2013

The time for
SkellyBones
has come!

Halloween Jack posted:

[...]
A favourite tactic of the far right is to present their beliefs as comedy, knowing that they ramp it up or laugh it off depending on how they're received. This is how the alt-right infiltrated Internet culture, and how fascists have historically tried to infiltrate music subcultures.

Wait, why am I thinking of "The Producers" right now?
Can you elaborate or point to some reading material on that?
It sounds very interesting in the "subversion of political elements"-style of things.

Mr.Misfit
Jan 10, 2013

The time for
SkellyBones
has come!

Sion posted:

So it looks like Catalyst might be in pretty serious trouble. [...]

Quick question , can you give the sources for those Infos? I'd like to dig further into it

Mr.Misfit
Jan 10, 2013

The time for
SkellyBones
has come!

Ettin posted:

Yeah, I am super into Mothership's layout. The way it does map spreads inspired me to do something similar with Hard Wired Island :toot:

Are we about the sci-fi horror game? If so, I got if from itch.IO, I like the design, but it doesnīt really feel, that well made of a game, it felt like itīs just the core rules for a sci-fi horror game made in the guise of an OSR game. I mean, you have mercenary rules and weapon tables, ship-to-ship combat, but nothing about "why are we doing this?" or even "who are the ill-fit people coming together to possibly get killed searching this space hulk?".

Mr.Misfit
Jan 10, 2013

The time for
SkellyBones
has come!

moths posted:

I'd like to propose my Mediocre Men Theory of history and how they affect change for the worse.

I donīt quite remember where it was from, but I do remember reading a historical theory about how everything is getting worse constantly, and only societal pressure upon the ill elements is keeping the decay from collapsing the system, but the strain to do so to the individual is increasing every time, until at one point or another, the system inevitably collapses. By that idea, weīll continue to see lovely behaviour until the pushback has become itself lovely behaviour and everything will regress. Damnit, where the f**** did I read this?...

Mr.Misfit
Jan 10, 2013

The time for
SkellyBones
has come!
Also quite clean, and good-looking. Unfortunately their ideas of how men should look did not survive later centuries.

Mr.Misfit
Jan 10, 2013

The time for
SkellyBones
has come!

Angrymog posted:

That's not actually what FATAL and friends is, though? It's people posting about games they either like and think more people should know about, or doing tear downs of games they think are stupid and or bad.

Or both, which makes it so drat hilarious at times =)

Mr.Misfit
Jan 10, 2013

The time for
SkellyBones
has come!

theironjef posted:

Absolutely no fantasy aspects. It's about a group of friends united by D&D but not about the D&D. It's basically The Joy Luck Club or Paddleton, but the reason they keep gathering is a campaign that hasn't been interrupted since 1995. Now one of them is dying, one of them is going through a messy divorce, and two of them are haltingly falling in love. Can the campaign survive? Should it? Directed by the Duplass brothers, it's D&D: Roll the Dice.

...music by the Mountain Goats and Bonnie Prince Billy

I think this would actually rock. Make it a bit like the gamers, with their real world problems intruding into small fantasy vignette-style scenes and you're good to go. Heck, put an Ensemble Cast into it, it would be a fun movie to actually watch. Make it AO rated for the fan crowd and bam, cult classic. Also it reveals how DnD is really exchangeable because really, that story could be about anything, whether its a continuous poker group, fantasy football et al.

Mr.Misfit
Jan 10, 2013

The time for
SkellyBones
has come!

So...how has no one sued them on this? Docking workers pay on being a minute late? Even the US has SOME worker protection laws, right?
This is insane, at this point they can basically go all "FatCat Capitalist 18th Century Captain of Industry" O_o

Mr.Misfit
Jan 10, 2013

The time for
SkellyBones
has come!

open_sketchbook posted:

im so incredibly tired of this industry

What did they do now?

Mr.Misfit
Jan 10, 2013

The time for
SkellyBones
has come!

Halloween Jack posted:

I've thought about this a lot, and I think that to really be a post-apocalyptic setting there has to be the constant sense that you're living in the aftermath of something. Practically every box-standard fantasy campaign setting features some wizard empire that fell thousands of years ago, but you're not literally living in its ruins. Like, in the Dying Earth, there's no housing shortage because there are plenty of empty stone manses just sitting around. In Sign of the Labrys, people are losing their social instincts because both plague and an abundance of preserved food discourages cooperation. Everyone looks to the past, even for basic sustenance.

Taken to the extreme, this can be banal in itself. Like, I've been playing Rage 2 and now Mad Max, and there's no sense that anybody is eating anything but canned food that they scavenged. (Apparently I can build something called a maggot farm?) Even really cheap Pastapocalypse movies often focused on protecting a community that's trying to grow its own food.

A problem with many post-apocalyptic RPGs is that they refuse to make choices. They either focus very very narrowly on imitating The Road Warrior, or they have to be a kitchen sink of every post-apoc franchise they've ever heard of--which always starts with swallowing the premise of Gamma World whole hog. This has produced some extremely silly games that don't know they're silly, which have rules for starvation and radiation syndrome and rayguns and talking plants.

I felt that the way Mutant Year Zero does it, worked well from a mechanical standpoint, if you ignore the backstory and how the players basically advance down a tech tree in about 20 gaming sessions.

Mr.Misfit
Jan 10, 2013

The time for
SkellyBones
has come!

The Deleter posted:

I kinda want to play a game where the apocalypse or collapse is happening elsewhere and you don't quite see it. The tax collector from the empire doesn't show up that year, and you just kinda shrug and carry on, and then he doesn't show up next year and the traders who bring in the food are telling weird stories and nobody's sure what's going on, and then by the third year you start to have some ideas...

This actually sounds like a great kind of prologue for a campaign!

Mr.Misfit
Jan 10, 2013

The time for
SkellyBones
has come!

BattleMaster posted:

My next Greek Epic RPG hero will be named Testicles

I really really hope you mean "Testiculos"! ;)

Mr.Misfit
Jan 10, 2013

The time for
SkellyBones
has come!
What about other scifi properties of the late 20th century? Babylon 5 always felt kinda progressive to me, but then again, that was 28 years ago.

Mr.Misfit
Jan 10, 2013

The time for
SkellyBones
has come!

Froghammer posted:

I mean, let's get in the weeds here.

Central to fascism is the idea that things used to be better than they are. When you apply that logic to art, then the only art that fascists like are pieces of art that reference other pieces of art that they like. This means games have to be reminiscent of other games and stick to specific genre guidelines; "this is a first person shooter" or "this is a turn-based RPG" or other types of games that are similar to types of games they've played dozens of before. Put a brand new genre or experience in front of these people and they'll lose their minds, because they'll have no context for it. The debate over "walking simulators" has largely been settled, but their existence was a huge industry talking point for a while. A chunk of gamers thought that they straight up weren't games, and that faction only died down once the genre had become established enough that it could become self-referential.

You see this attitude a lot in the TRPG-sphere, with people prefering to ignore whatever new ground is being broken in game design space and only sticking to versions of Dungeons and Dragons that are 40 years old. Only things that reference the mindset that those games were trying to establish is worth saving and preserving. Everything else is a perversion of the hobby.

If you like new stuff, and the reason you like it is because it's new and not because it's meant to remind you of something you've experienced before, then you're probably not a fascist.

I find this highly fascinating, and if I may ask,
is the immediate logic here that: "someone who follows the basic logic that you can only recognize something as worthy if its referential"
necessarily fascist or is it something like one of the pillars of authoritarian thought?
Basically reactionary ideologies require this thinking, whether ėts fascist nor not? Or is this mindset always fascist?

Mr.Misfit
Jan 10, 2013

The time for
SkellyBones
has come!

Toph Bei Fong posted:

[.... a lot of terrible quotes....]

Great Scott, it sounds downright miserable in how dumb these are. :thunkgun:

Mr.Misfit
Jan 10, 2013

The time for
SkellyBones
has come!

Nuns with Guns posted:

The Canadian and/or US Postal Service has eaten the physical Diana Jones award:

https://www.polygon.com/22714697/diana-jones-award-history-lost-in-mail

Looking at the ugly thing, I don't think it's actually a loss, but rather a win for all future winners not to have to receive this blight upon our eyes?

Mr.Misfit
Jan 10, 2013

The time for
SkellyBones
has come!
I'm not entirely sure about it but has there ever been a less-biased study about the effects of piracy on trpgs in comparison to other media?

Mr.Misfit
Jan 10, 2013

The time for
SkellyBones
has come!

Kai Tave posted:

I feel like if there was a study concretely demonstrating that piracy negatively impacted sales to a meaningful extent that we would know about it because anti-piracy advocates would never stop bludgeoning people with it, but so far that doesn't seem to be the case.

Re: Zweihander, take 1d4chan as a primary source with a grain of salt, but according to their article on Zweihander, Dan Fox was in fact actually going there to shill the game instead of it just being the usual case of "4chan assumes anyone talking about anything that isn't D&D/40K is a shill in disguise"

Now the sad question this triggers is this: Did it hurt his bottom line, did people actually avoid his game, or did his sales increase because the audacity led to an increase in people knowing about his game, even if dead comedy forums and 4chans bemoaned it?

Mr.Misfit
Jan 10, 2013

The time for
SkellyBones
has come!

Nuns with Guns posted:

That remark makes me remember this Simpsons bit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2h2gAN4kr1A

And now I'm wondering who the Maya Angelou of RPGs is?

Can someone decode this weird reference for people not from the US?

Mr.Misfit
Jan 10, 2013

The time for
SkellyBones
has come!

Covermeinsunshine posted:

Why do they even keep him around? Is he somehow essential?

It seems that you can often find people working for some time in a company fall into a kind of "us versus outside"-sentiment with teamwork events and corporate culture doing the rest.
Thus critical outside voices "feel" less believable or just like something which clashes with the internal "but I've known him for x years and he was always okay?!" people have, and leads to a very different perspective.
Usually one where they go "eh, just put him somewhere they don't scream at us on twitter for". Corporate Virtue Shuffling?

Mr.Misfit
Jan 10, 2013

The time for
SkellyBones
has come!

Antivehicular posted:

I like the implication that a non-feat-having skeleton lying down and pretending to be inanimate has to make a roll and can fail it. What are the tells here? They can't exactly get caught breathing or get an itchy nose or something.

An anxious rattling of bones?

Mr.Misfit
Jan 10, 2013

The time for
SkellyBones
has come!
Question: Is there an actual "TG Industry - State of it all 2022" ? Like a sort of comprehensive overview one can refer to?

Mr.Misfit
Jan 10, 2013

The time for
SkellyBones
has come!

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

There have been two-ish Vietnam RPGs (Recon and Savage Worlds Tour of Duty). Recon was complete rear end even before Siembada picked it up for Palladium, and Tour of Duty was not your typical small unit operations, so I really would like to see what you come up with.

There was a good indie vietnam rpg called GRUNT iirc about the effects of fighting on the average soldier and how much ammo was wasted in just shooting bushes, not to mention hours of dread and minutes of death, or sitting at the camp later on with your buddies, trading war stories and cigarettes to survive.

Mr.Misfit
Jan 10, 2013

The time for
SkellyBones
has come!

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

Slightly off topic but it seems like a lot of people try to write mass battle rules for TTRPGS

Has anyone here EVER ran it before? How'd it go?

Sorry, are you asking for any specific system I somehow missed?

I'm nowdays running PENDRAGON 5th Edition and naturally with iths campaign has a battle system. It's...needlessly complicated but can be usable if you just go step-by-step. Sadly it's also a lot more involved than one would like. One can even expand the system with the Book of Battles, which makes it ....very complicated and not really that fun to run, honestly, not to mention more dice rolling for randomness. At least now I know exactly which of the young, middle-aged and old kinsmen of my player knights have died and to which exact saxon arrow. 6E promised something with more panache and a greater focus on "feel of battle and big moments" but I've yet to get the starter set to actually evaluate it.

I've also previously ran big battles in REIGN. That was quick, efficient, and strangely clinical because of how it resolves a lot with its diffcult-to-determine-dice results. But the players loved the mechanism.
I've run a Pathfinder-style mass battle system based on older 3E battle rules I don't exactly remember how. That was a clusterfuck. Felt like the rules were definitely not made for that.
Have run a "larger space skirmish" in Traveller. Mostly a tell-affair, because the rules for the game itself don't really give you anything. Maybe one of the additional books does, but those I had certainly not. Kinda wonky and details-intensive, again needlessly complicated.

Mr.Misfit
Jan 10, 2013

The time for
SkellyBones
has come!
What I don't get is why people continue to fall over themselves for Smith like this.
I mean, like what, is he literally made of money that they all can't but help gently caress themselves over for him because he's splurging them full of money?
What in their right mind would possess them to, especially in the light of the length some of them go to, continue doing this?

Mr.Misfit
Jan 10, 2013

The time for
SkellyBones
has come!

Sage Genesis posted:

Baldur's Gate 3 also did pretty well in that regard, from what I heard.

According to some numbers though, DnD didn't really get to convert those numbers into kept players and considering how they killed off BG3 DLC/Expansions and BG4 despite the absurd success the game had just shows how bad these companies are with looking at their customer base and divergent commercial trends.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Misfit
Jan 10, 2013

The time for
SkellyBones
has come!

Facebook Aunt posted:

There is still the problem with DnD that people think they need a good experienced dungeon master. And new players may be reluctant to be the dungeon master if their only experience is a videogame. Maybe even worse if they've watched one of the professional voice actors series.

Of course you don't. Some of the great DMs started playing and DMing as 12 year olds. People can learn the game together. But that doesn't overcome that problem that nobody wants to be in the hot seat. Heck, some people play for years and are still afraid to DM. So even if you have the ideal situation of 5 people who know each other, have compatible schedules, and all want to play the same kind of game it still might not happen because nobody feels competent to take the referee role. It's a serious barrier to entry.

e: So a game without the DM problem might be better at converting computer game players to source game players. Of course other games have their own barriers to entry.

Amusingly that's not even the main problem. The main problem seems to be that the game they get when buying 5E isn't the game you play in BG3, which is mostly different from BG1/2, because there you got the effing Player's Handbook in Miniature Form as the manual and with 5E fighters begin at "this is boring" and "why can't my druid wildshape into something cool" etc.