Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
I'm in a MP game right with friends and we're experiencing some oddities. Has anyone had a game where the Leviathan spawns simply didn't show up? The trader/curator/artist enclaves did so the DLC is definitely active, but nobody has seen any of the other stuff. It's also 2355 and the midgame crisis still hasn't fired.

I did learn that robots can pay tribute to raiders in the form of food despite not having any though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

isndl
May 2, 2012

Ass_Burgerer posted:

AI empires will attempt to kill leviathans eventually.

Yeah that's fair, but between five human players I'd expect someone to see something. Plus there's literally a third of the galaxy still unclaimed because it was bottled up behind a FE and two raider tribes perfectly placed on the choke points and nobody spawned inside that zone - we didn't start surveying it until after a wormhole opened a path.

Good to know about the crisis timing though, we'll just have to be patient.

isndl
May 2, 2012
Anomalies annoy me because you don't have the chance boosters early game when you're surveying your core systems, so your core systems are slightly weaker than your outer systems on average (plus your investigation success rates are lower unless you wait to backfill with higher level scientists). But then around mid-late game when you turn on auto-explore to ignore your survey ships as they map out the other end of the galaxy, you're hitting more anomalies and you're incentivized to not investigate them at all - why give your opponents massive local resource boosts or strategic resources like Living Metal for free?

The former issue is probably better smoothed out by seeding anomalies during map gen and turning them into events gated by skill/tech level, e.g. when the scientist initially surveys a system you get a roll to discover the anomaly based on skill level, but if you don't see it you'll eventually discover it as you increase your tech and old survey data is reanalyzed. This would also prevent spotting anomalies and ignoring them to deny other players the benefits, since everyone can eventually see them. Latter issue is best resolved by offering your choice of outcomes for a investigation, either the usual long-term benefit like a +5 minerals on an asteroid, or a short-term smash-and-grab option when you know you aren't going to be sticking around the area (blow up half the asteroid for a bunch of minerals now).

Even if nothing changes to how anomalies behave though, for the love of god fix auto-explore to survey systems you've 'seen' but not surveyed. I shouldn't have to manually scroll around the map to assign these survey targets in the late-game.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I have a regular robot empire and picked up a couple systems after the Khan helpfully removed prior claims. Only problem is that the planets came with some tenants that still haven't relocated after half a century of forced migration - my pristine zero food is marred by an ugly -27 deficit.

Now I'm just going to force eviction by terraforming into a machine world. Get the gently caress out, meatbags.

isndl
May 2, 2012

Spanish Matlock posted:

Bugs we have experienced in our MP game:

1) A spiritualist xenophile empire achieved psionic transcendence, which was somehow communicated to a completely different gestalt consciousness rogue servitor empire causing them to have psychic robot leaders.
2) The spiritualist xenophile empire in turn had their leaders changed into the gestalt consciousness, causing all organic pops in their empire to start undergoing assimilation.
3) The xenophobe FE then awakened with ~20k fleet power total, expanding to two empty star systems before the Contingency struck and completely annihilated them.

:stellaris:

Also the complete lack of leviathans, refugees that never left their planet even after it became uninhabitable, a pacifistic AI empire with a single rebel planet bisecting them for the entirety of the game, rebels being vassalized and continuing to be rebels, and probably other weird stuff involving rebels but that was on the other side of the galaxy.

isndl
May 2, 2012

Zikan posted:

im sure nothing bad will result from going into this place every previous species before is locked up for some reason

Just some theocratic bigots trying to get rid of all the cool synthetic kids by locking them up in the treehouse. Jokes on them, the treehouse is awesome.

isndl
May 2, 2012
The annoyance of managing pops is why I play robots. No more micromanaging growth or juggling species or regretting a migration treaty, just hit build and forget about it. As an added bonus I don't have to build any farms.

To be honest, I'd prefer if pops got abstracted away from the tiles entirely, and instead you have something like "planet is X pop, of which Y% are of $species giving you a net Z% bonus to mineral production" and variations thereof. Would make multispecies empires less frustrating and prevent the awkward alerts every time someone migrates and you have an idle building possibly causing resource deficits. Authoritarian/slaver empires can mandate population quotas.

isndl
May 2, 2012
A news ticker for the galaxy as a whole might be pretty rad and give me something to read while waiting for things to complete in multiplayer. Can't just bump the speed up to fastest on a whim.

Learn about pointless minutiae like how the first gecko migrants have settled on their neighbor's planets only a hundred years after the migration treaty was signed! Contemplate the mysterious disappearances of the Beefsteak citizens in the Gourmand empire! Tremble in fear as the Militant Isolationist FE wipes the fleet of the fools who settled too close!

isndl
May 2, 2012
Are federation fleets supposed to be upgradable? My previous game ran into the issue where the fleet was horrendously outdated which was a pain in the rear end given the old and slow hyperdrives making cross-galaxy trips take forever.

I did manage to enable the upgrade button by using the fleet template manager to assign a new ship design to the ships, but I only had my own empire's ship designs to choose from and after some loooooong upgrade waiting (to the point where I had to split the fleet and upgrade piecemeal or it wouldn't be finished before the presidency passed) the end result was that they became my empire's ships and not federation ships. So I assume I'm not supposed to be doing that.

isndl
May 2, 2012

Tomn posted:

Not only can you upgrade them, they should have access to the best tech of all federation members. Like, if you have Hyperdrive 3 but not artillery, while the Zoq'Piqs have kinetic artillery but not Hyperdrive 3, a Federation ship should be able to use both.

It's been a while since I played with a federation so I can't recall the specifics, but you do need to make the changes to the Federation designs themselves, and any new designs need to be specified as being Federation ships. There should be a little indicator in the ship designer somewhere noting that so and so is a Federation design, hit those up.

Yeah that's the problem, I adjusted the ship designs through the federation ship design menu (including setting up some battleships with Arc Emitters which I didn't tech myself so there was no chance that it was my own ship designs) but I had no way to apply them to existing ships. The fleet upgrade button was greyed out and there were zero federation ship designs available in the fleet template menu when attempting to assign a design for refitting.

isndl
May 2, 2012

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

I still want a midgame tech to weaponize asteroid fields in a way that your fleet can use them as creeping cover or you just throw a ton at a (fort?) planet. Basically Armageddon bombardment done cheap.

I want terraforming on a galactic scale. Make new suns and planets, turn suns into black holes, blanket my empire in a shroud of nebula dust. Construct and destroy hyperlanes. Create my own little L-system pockets to ride out the endgame crisis.

isndl
May 2, 2012

evenworse username posted:

So with the Sanctuary ringworld thing, if you Enlighten the primitives on it, how does that end up working? They can't end up sharing the system, so does it just end up with the first one to hit spacefaring?

I'm trying to figure out how to end up controlling this ring without pissing off a bunch of factions by just invading the place.

As my understanding goes: system belongs to whoever has a colonized planet in the system. If more than one planet is colonized, the system may be shared, such as when you have a colony established and a primitive species hits empire status on another planet. If I remember right with the old war mechanics you could demand one planet of multiple in a system which would also end up in shared system possession, but I don't know if that's possible with the new claims mechanics.

In your case, I assume that you don't have a colony in the Sanctuary system, so whoever gets uplifted first assumes possession of the system and then your uplift progress of the others is halted. Maybe build a habitat first since that counts as a colony?

isndl
May 2, 2012
When can we get a 'demand pops' diplomacy option? I only need one of each species for my bio-trophy collection. I guess the more sustenance inclined could use it for food variety.

isndl
May 2, 2012

Black Pants posted:

Take the Nihilistic Acquisition perk or the Barbaric Despoiler civic and you can do exactly that with the Raiding bombardment stance!

Yeah, but that involves going to war. I want to be the next FE that steals receives gifts by virtue of terrifying power. No need to pull the fleet out of dock, that upkeep ain't free.

isndl
May 2, 2012

wiegieman posted:

Why have any requirement at all? I just ponied up tens of thousands of minerals, and now I'm able to do it again. Clearly I have the industrial capacity to build multiple megastructures.

The ingame fluff says something about how your experienced engineers are all busy with a project already or something but that makes less sense when you're a gestalt consciousness. :shrug:

isndl
May 2, 2012

Splicer posted:

Hey anybody in this thread who's missing a lot of the DLC there's a new Ascension Pack Steam Bundle with a decent discount on it.

Bundle looks neat except GMG still has the overall discount beat using the PDX22 voucher. I might give it a day to see if that bundle starts becoming available at third party sites, right now it's Steam only.

isndl
May 2, 2012
In my current game I have an unclaimed system next to my home system that I've been ignoring in favor of REXing towards my neighbors' chokepoints (it's a pocket branch of four systems that I can backfill whenever I want). I've had pirates show up once and never again despite having unclaimed border systems all over the place. :shrug:

isndl
May 2, 2012

Guilliman posted:

The extra mineral cost for utopian abundance this early game is 4 minerals. 4. Also, I have not met any other empires and I expect in my perfect utopian society there are no poor. this system clearly needs to be worked out more.

You got so much wealth you're just handing it out for free! Surely you wouldn't mind if some pirates helped themselves to some of it, now? They deserve a little extra for putting in the work. :v:

Chalks posted:

I don't think piracy is a necessary mechanic at all. It's designed as a penalty to discourage players from leaving single system gaps in their empire, but this could be achieved much more easily via other mechanics if it really is such a big problem. Just give a happiness penalty to planets bordering uncolonised systems, job done.

The idea that a bunch of pirates could summon a fleet big enough to destroy your entire navy has always been silly. Piracy is always an irritant to empires, not one in danger of overthrowing them so simulating it as fleet battles in the early game is just silly.

Discouraging snake expansion is only half of it, the other half is to remind novice players that maybe they should start building up a fleet before they run into a neighbor who accidentally hits the 'declare war' button (and give players who did build a fleet a reason for the expense if they aren't warmongering). Wouldn't hurt to have better scaling on the pirate numbers though, having it start small but grow fast if left unchecked might be a good idea.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I don't get why my goddamn precursor system has to pop in someone else's borders. :argh:

isndl
May 2, 2012
Anyone else getting way too many popups for meeting a new empire? More importantly, getting two or sometimes even three influence bumps per empire from the popups. I mean, it's given me like a thousand influence in my current game so I can finish backfilling from REXing to the good choke points a hundred years faster so I'm not gonna say no, but it's pretty clearly a bug.

Also gently caress off with the precursor systems spawning in other empires, I have like 50 systems under my control and it still spawns inside the borders of my furthest neighbor. Luckily it was a rival in sad shape so I could change my war policy and rush it but it still needed three systems to secure hyperlane access. If I knew it was gonna be there I would've just ignored the anomaly entirely.

isndl
May 2, 2012

Tomn posted:

Isn't there a new option for science ships to basically warp in to any system, even a closed border system, albeit very slowly?

Haven't hit the tech required for that yet, and I'd rather not hand a rival a free system with 50+ resources.

isndl
May 2, 2012
Not sure if it's just me but the map gen does feel more generous about resource spawns, number of stations per system feels almost double on average. I'm actually able to run relatively low on colonies thanks to that (which is good since the guaranteed 3 planets appear to be missing).

The experimental subspace jump for science ships turns out to be less impressive than originally thought, it's just the emergency FTL mechanic except you can pick the target system. Still need to have the system explored to target it, so it's not going to help you survey blocked hyperlanes unless there's a friendly empire to land at first. It's great for handling things like debris research or random research projects though, just grab one of your less important Assist Research ships and jump it over in half the time.

I had some pirates trigger and never show up until fifty years later when I went to clear the system out for claiming and it was a piddly 400 strength against my 5000. Checked the wiki on pirates and it looks like the pirates mechanic is supposed to scale more if you leave them alone, so I'm assuming it's actually just straight up broken somewhere.

isndl
May 2, 2012

Fruits of the sea posted:

In my current game, the Pulsating Stars project fails when I use a different scientist from the one mentioned in the mission text.

It's a bit misleading, as the requirements list only "scientist is present", and I happened to have a science ship in that system, so why not get it done more quickly :v:

Same thing happened in my previous game, but I can't remember the name of the anomaly unfortunately.

Makes me wonder what happens if they happen to meet an untimely demise. Cannot finish the mission chain? Or maybe you can just rename another scientist to have the same name? :v:

isndl
May 2, 2012
Experimental Subspace Navigation won't let you jump to unexplored systems, but Jump Drives still do. If you want to survey absolutely everything you're still going to want to pick up Jump Drives.

ESN is nice for hopping across the galaxy fast and getting a notification popup when they arrive but it doesn't really unlock new options in my experience, it's mostly ease of use.

isndl
May 2, 2012
This is one of the old anomalies but my paranoid robot scientist tried to solve the mystery of the puzzle cube and sliced off his right before becoming a paranoid maniac.

I think he was supposed to slice off his right hand or arm or something but no, he just sliced off his right. :confused:

isndl
May 2, 2012

Hot Karl Marx posted:

What's the best way to approach anomalies now? Always just research even if it takes a while or send science ships later with more skill?

Early game I'll skip anomalies because getting knowledge on your immediate surroundings is vital for having a game plan, and it's not like the anomalies are going to expire. Midgame it'll be a tossup depending on where it is, how long it'll take, and what the description of it is (if it's something like Alien Barracks that gives Military Theory then it gets pushed to back of the queue for someone that isn't survey-specced if I'm trying to optimize). Late game I stop giving any fucks and research on the spot because I probably don't even know where the science ship is.

The early game is really the only area where time is important: you get maybe twice as many systems mapped in the same time frame, that lets you prioritize your expansion. It's not like you need another +2 energy right now in a system you're decades away from claiming.

isndl
May 2, 2012

Ms Adequate posted:

Back when spaceports were planetary, the mutants or giants or what have you that overran the world would gain immediate control of the orbital station as well. I had one particularly galling occasion where I lost a world to mutants, and they took over the most powerful non-FE defensive facility in the galaxy because it was on a major chokepoint facing some real jerks. It took me so long to reclaim it that it really dented my expansion.

Did they ever fix the inability to bombard them since it's still your planet? Trying to chew through Titanic armies with full defensive bonuses was basically impossible until late game.

isndl
May 2, 2012

So I think I don't have enough engineers to build multiple megastructures simultaneously because they're all melting in the first one. :supaburn:

isndl
May 2, 2012
While you can certainly have multiple FTL types in the same game, for Stellaris in particular I think it would have necessitated significant reworking on the galaxy layer to make it function well. Things like 'nebulas and black holes slow your FTL' sounds good on paper but Stellaris doesn't have the right kind of map data granularity to do that well, and it's already difficult enough to locate certain types of systems without map mode toggling or carefully mousing over systems for tooltips. I also don't want to imagine the performance hit of detailed FTL pathfinding in a realtime game with lots of AI empires and one-button-press fleet reinforcements that sends lone ships out by the dozens.

Hyperlanes-only also made individual system characteristics actually more important, because things like black holes reducing movement speed frankly didn't matter in the past when you literally never moved from your jump-in point while en route elsewhere. Now you have to actually traverse the system and it matters, along with lane layouts creating natural chokes and defense stations to further inhibit movement. The switch also coincided with a much more discrete claim system which I prefer to the old "eyeball the border range and hope it doesn't get pushed back", though I suppose that change isn't inherently tied to FTL mechanics.

isndl
May 2, 2012

binge crotching posted:

If I remember correctly, it spawns between 5-8 jumps of your capital. It ignores bypasses (wormhole / gateway), but otherwise will spawn anywhere within range.

It must be 5-8 jumps based on the old proximity system, because it is definitely not 5-8 hyperspace jumps in my current game. The border to my neighbor was about 9 jumps, and then I had to conquer three systems off them to have access to the precursor system.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I'm noticing that space which gets revealed by empire communications being established confuses the auto survey because while the new empire's systems are revealed the hyperlanes exits are not (though as a player you can see it on the map). Auto-explore thinks there are no unsurveyed systems available until you manually send the ship over first.

isndl
May 2, 2012

Psychotic Weasel posted:

(At least this is the way it used to be in earlier versions but I don't recall reading anything to the contrary lately)

This seems to be no longer the case, because as of the current patch I've gotten anomalies from systems formerly claimed by other empires.

isndl
May 2, 2012
Turns out Fallen Empires have access to the Apocalypse DLC even if I don't have it. Wonder if I can get the Colossus achievements by annexing them?

isndl
May 2, 2012
Even regular empires don't play by the same rules when they're Advanced Start. :shrug:

isndl
May 2, 2012
Wormholes are neat to shake things up a little in the mid game when empires get new routes for expansion or federations. Also in the endgame when the Unbidden show up on top of a cluster of wormhole systems and suddenly they're expanding in three different parts of the galaxy simultaneously.

Gateways are real good too but a hell of a lot more expensive to activate, I'm operating at a 1.0-1.5k per month mineral income right now and still can't quite run enough surplus to set up more gates while dealing with these Unbidden fleets.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I don't know what happened, but this combat report says I had 154,674 corvettes in my fleet. :stare:

Gay Horney posted:

So if I'm declaring war on someone with the vassalize CB and they have a defensive ally, do I have to invade all the planets of the defensive ally too? That's really loving bothersome. I've been slowly whittling down my southern neighbor all game hoping I could vassalize him eventually but it appears I can't now without invading twenty more planets.

When I settled for status quo instead it took some systems but not others, of both the war target and the defensive ally. I don't get how war works I guess?

You don't have to invade the ally unless you need extra war score. Depending on the war goal it may be necessary, vassalization is one that needs a lot of war score so you probably will need to.

Status Quo peace means end things as they are right now with systems staying under the control of whoever currently has them. It's not the same as a white peace.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I want to deport these fleshbags on the planets I conquer and they won't loving leave (because everyone else's planets are full by lategame?). The refugee migration system might as well not exist if it never actually works.

Guess they're getting melted down for energy credits. :confuoot:

isndl
May 2, 2012
Sometimes my fleets will use their jump drives unnecessarily and it's loving up all my war planning, especially when I'm trying to coordinate two stacks to clean up a particularly tough federation fleet. Don't have any explanation why a fleet would decide that the enemy fleet in the adjacent system necessitates jumping five systems away to the other side of the enemy empire, but that happened and my other fleet had to withdraw with losses as a result.

Shouldn't have been the result of FTL blockers, I controlled the neighboring system already. All I know is that I queued the attack order, zoomed in on the enemy system to watch the engagement, and went WTF when the movement line for my fleet flipped from one border to the other.

isndl
May 2, 2012

Captain Invictus posted:

AFAIK they can't, it's a deliberate action the player makes.

Unless they have a mod or something for it?

No mods, I didn't believe it could have been jump drive either until I moused over the jump button and the tooltip said it was on cooldown. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

isndl
May 2, 2012

Chalks posted:

The only time I've seen them use a jump drive is if they're following a fleet and that fleet uses the drive. Surely when you issue the move order you can see that their path will not involve a jump?

I plan a route then try to work out the most effective jump location to make it quicker - I'm certain they never jump on their own. Even reinforcements will try to go the long way round if you jump while they're on their way.

*edit* fun fact - transport ship jump drive cool downs reset after every invasion which is useful as hell.

Yeah, I'm a hundred percent certain I didn't order a jump myself, especially because I'm trying to take down a big federation fleet and I certainly didn't want a -50% damage debuff for that. I have no idea how it happened. There's also been some cases where enemy fleets just mysteriously disappear while I'm looking at them in a system (since I queued up an attack order to mop up) with no animation at all but that's a different matter. I think they were emergency FTL escapes because I couldn't locate that fleet nearby, but who knows. :iiam:

I should probably switch to the beta patch since there's just general weirdness with fleets right now, fleet power numbers keep jumping, reinforcements cause fleets to go over 100% armor/shields and trigger fleet repaired notifications when it drops back down to 100%, and I had the one battle report with 154 thousand corvettes participating.