Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
MORE INDISPUTABLE PROOF I AM BAD AT POSTING
---------------->

Elea posted:

It doesn't feel like conspiracy theories used to be this way, where something was always just about to happen and adherents were kept at a fever pitch, and I just don't understand how it's not exhausting for the people involved.

One :tinfoil: explanation is that generating fake excitement and enthusiasm for something is an easier element of persistent astroturfing campaigns.

http://www.thefutureshock.com/index.html

Only takes a modest budget and a handful of talented true believers to create a weaponized ARG

Bear in mind, the same people running QAnon are likely /also/ gaslighting specific targeted individuals, much like fancy bear/guccifer 2.0 did to seth rich and michael flynn.

edit: I'd bet silver to etherium you could find in QAnon's machine a folder full of pictures of people with shoes on their head

Uglycat fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Mar 25, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
---------------->

Crunch Buttsteak posted:

Psychologically, this whole situation reminds me a lot of the aftermath of Great Disappointment. Although the stakes aren't nearly as high in this instance, the thought process of the group is the same - a major prediction is made, followers hype themselves up for it, and when the chosen date blows past with no major event, the True Believers justify it rather than admit that they were wrong.

https://whyweprotest.net/threads/on-brainwashing-long.11614/

I wrote that ten years ago, when we ('anonymous') were taking apart Scientology piece by piece. I know it influenced Prester Jane, and her theories apply as much to Qanon narratives as it does to Infowars. I think she's on probation right now :-/

also relevant: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Claque
sockpuppetry is a key element in social engineering and propaganda

edit: need I mention getfiscal's clever stuff? Who remembers what Condi smells like?

but yeah, qanon is much more sinister; weaponized by an unholy alliance of secretive agencies and parties to engineer an evil outcome

Uglycat fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Mar 25, 2018

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
---------------->
My experience with QAnon's marks is...
they believe Putin is sexy
they think Trump's uncle is a time traveler with access to Tesla's secret tech
they believe trump is both savior and god-emperor for life.

If that is a commonly held set of beliefs and preferences across folk whose ears are being whispered in from this direction... it points to the whisperers.

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
---------------->

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

This would be sort of uncharacteristic of them, Discordians tend to be pretty benevolent.

There was a day when the facebook discordian group lost 20,000 accounts overnight. It was a few months back. There was a large network of facebook sockpuppets that used that group to build their credibility as 'real actual humans.'

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
---------------->
Have you tried asking Q cultists what they think about Putin?

They all mysteriously think he's sexy.

That's a 'calling card', friend.

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
---------------->

b0ng posted:

I feel it could be possible that all of these people are sowing discord in America for Russian interests but that seems way more complicated than my gut feeling that it’s just idiots all around.

How is this load of crap that much different than that load of crap?

Scale of 1 to 10, how upset would you be to discover that this 'idiots all around' sowing discord in America are, in fact, operatives working on a sophisticated psyops attack funded by russian oligarchs and executed by state actors?

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
---------------->
Did Q push the 'hillary kilt seth' narrative? Surely yes, but I've not been following myself...

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
---------------->

Polygynous posted:

That's... that's not even a coincidence. That's loving nothing. My head hurts.

Humans are /mimics/. Free will is a /myth/; the Will is *caused*, /not/ "Free".

We're pattern-recognition machines. There's two sorts of errors a pattern recognition machine might make: 1) failing to see a pattern that's staring them in the face - that is, stupidity; and 2) reading a pattern into what's really garbage input, random data - that is, delusion, hallucination, psychosis.

This whole thing is a deliberate meatware hack.

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
---------------->
Is anybody picking up any chatter about Oct 3rd? Like how they expected Antifa to start a civil war on Nov 5th?

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
---------------->

pseudanonymous posted:

Of course, it's not a LARP, LARPs are far less stupid than Q anon. And people don't believe they are actually wizards in LARPS they just like hitting each other with sticks and stuff.

It's a weaponizied ARG. Think Velocity Gnome.

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
---------------->

DarklyDreaming posted:

Grandson :hist101:

Also Cyrus was killed by a woman whose son he killed after an ill-advised attempt to conquer Central Asia. There's like five different versions of that story because antiquarian history is spotty at best but all those stories have the same punchline.

wasn't she into hotboxing, and likely high as poo poo when she kilt him?

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
---------------->
there was an effort post I read on these forums once, I think in a stickied 'quote good effortposts here!' thread, that was about the origins of the 'blood libel' myth, I think it went back to rome v. carthage and maybe even earlier. I've been looking for it for a couple days, and come up empty, but I'd really like to have that copypasta to throw at some people on FB...

anybody know what I'm talking about?

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
---------------->

Xotl posted:

The only thing along those lines I remember here (including the repost that you mention) was this:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?&threadid=3893410&pagenumber=191#post497569025

that's it, thank you so, so much.
And thanks to Twoday for the composition.

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
---------------->

Thoughtless posted:

Well, thank you for the answers. It's still surprisingly hard for me to believe that people actually believe in this, but clearly they do. And I don't have any better explanations myself.

I just hope it dies down when Trump is gone.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Claque

A claque is a professional audience member, a plant, that knows how to respond to a performer to encourage the rest of the audience to go along with things.

The sockpuppet army isn't just pushing qanon stuff; it's a large claque. It creates an illusion designed to simulate natural forces of social influence.

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
---------------->
The qultists borrow the idea of the 'limited hangout' from earlier alien conspiracies, as a simple way to explain why so much of their non-sense is borrowed from specific, identifiable bits of popular media.

I do think an agency was involved in its creation and development.

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
---------------->
I hang out with those hippies. Have done so for 4 years, travelling on a brightly painted bus.

The Q stuff is present in those communities, and it stands out as uncanny. This stuff was weaponized, and those populations were deliberately targeted.

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
---------------->
Q is spreading /online/. Fighting it /requires/ posting.

Posting here isn't taking the beast head-on, as Q has no toe-hold here, but I completely agree with the assessment that it is what Buck Fullminster sees it as. And it is infuriating. And I do see a lot of goons pooh-poohing this as crazy-thinking. And it definitely is not.

And if we can convince some percentage of y'all, and y'all take the fight to Q head-on (yes, by /posting/)... we might beat the bastard back.

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
---------------->

RagnarokAngel posted:

I offered real advice, do something in your community that affects positive change and show youre willing to do more work than "research" and "post". If you can show you actually have skin in the game people will listen to you. You have a compulsive need to believe posting will save us all so you keep doing it and won't question if maybe dedicating effort toward something else might affect real change.

I sometimes recieve advice like this when I post like Bucky Fullminster.
Not from anybody that pays attention to what I do IRL, though.

Bucky isn't loud about what they do IRL, and that doesn't make their posting pointless.

Posting is absolutely exactly the tool one needs to utilize to defeat a weaponized online cult.
You're not wrong about the need to be involved in one's immediate IRL social landscape. But if you can reach a real IRL human (as opposed to a sockpuppet) while posting, you're helping beat back the tide of evil.

e: if anyone's making soup for the homeless in South Bend, hit me up, I get hungry from time to time

Uglycat fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Aug 20, 2020

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
---------------->

RagnarokAngel posted:

If that happens a lot you should listen. Seriously, I'm speaking from personal experience, not to be dismissive. Posting isn't helping, it really isn't. You're not convincing anyone, youre putting your own mental health in jeopardy for a crusade you keep convincing yourself is worth any sacrifice. Stepping away from the computer and taking in the larger picture is *huge*.

I don't disagree; sometimes the best advice for a poster is to log off, even when they're right. It helps if someone acknowledges the sense they're making, rather than a gang of people gaslighting and offering bad-faith advice or adament gainsaying.

I've spent most of the last 4 years offline, attending protests, hanging out at intentional communities, camping in autonomous zones, and generally immersed in the radicalized left and the disenfranchised left. I've been watching since late 2017 as leftists that fell for the Seth Rich stuff and crypto-fascists that fell for the Pizzagate stuff fell into Qanon. Most of my encounters with the qult have been IRL, and what I've seen has terrified me. That terror has waned a bit recently, as I've seen the qult make their play at influence - and bounce off a fairly sophisticated understanding by the media and the computer-toucher communities.

[redacted by the FSB]

Scroll through the account and see what poo poo a qultist has been sharing since early 2018. It /all/ aligns with the purposes of the figures Bucky Fullminster has been pointing to. All the way back to its origins.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Aug 20, 2020

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
---------------->

Helsing posted:

Uglycat, I think as a general rule it would be better if people refrained from doxxing themselves.

I ain't afeared.

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
---------------->

Helsing posted:

If you want to share that information over discord or PMs then nobody can stop you, but there are too many potential complications to have people sharing the Facebook pages of random individuals in a D&D thread - even if the goon is claiming that it is their own Facebook page. And even if you're totally comfortable with that risk level, having people posting their personally identifiable information could attract attention we don't want. It's just a can of worms that is best left tightly sealed.

A'ight, I hear ya. It isn't irrelevant to the topic though. An' I don't see much sense in pretending fb is private when the poo poo you post public is every bit as public as twitter, and the user controls of the platform allow people to set privacy as they please...

I'll edit out the links, maybe post screenshots.

e- alright, you already got 'em. On the topic of whether or not Buck Fullminster needs to take a break from the forums, I've not been online all that much and I haven't been posting in this thread for pages arguing with people - I just popped in and shared that I agree with Buck, and people are hinting that /I/ need to get offline. One might conclude tentatively that 'log off' is a cudgel used to attack minority voices, rather than (excusively) good-faith concern for other posters' well-being.

Uglycat fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Aug 20, 2020

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
---------------->

RagnarokAngel posted:

The only point you're making is that you've been fighting this fight for a long time which is absolutely not in question.

That is not the only point I'm making. I do wish the links alone had been edited out and not the text surrounding them, but...

The whole point was to encourage you to scroll through a qult account and see the kind of content it shared publicly, going back to 2018. The qanon anon podcast often does this, as an exercise. The narratives pushed, going back to the very beginning, all fit the aims and purposes of the specific people Buck has been pointing at as the creators of the weapon.

There's also the discussion of whether or not 'posting is praxis' (while battling a weaponized ARG that's spreading online). I am making the argument that it most definitely is, and if people who understood what Qanon is and the danger it poses were shouting warnings from the rooftops since 2018, it's potential power wanes significantly. And that's what I did. And that's what Buck is doing, and advocating for participation in. And he's been met with 'russiagat lol you're as bad as teh qult' idiocy.

e: I guess if anyone is interested in the exercise, PM me, I can send the links.

Uglycat fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Aug 20, 2020

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
---------------->

Phobophilia posted:

holy gently caress there really is a crunchy vaguely-liberal new-age to qanon hog pipeline

There absolutely is, and I've been tryin' to raise that alarm for years now. In the traveller community, among train hoppers and intentional communities and rubber trampers and deadheads and water protectors and dirty kids and woo-headed hippies... Q has grown a LOT over the last 3 years in these communities. There's a bit of a civil war happening now in my corner of that network, as I've been pushing back hard around campfires for those whole 3 years, and I've got a solid group of people that are savvy, and we're pushing back against a lot of ignorant people (antivaxxers that were homeschooled in the woods, don't know how to spell, that sort) pushing Q (along with covid denial, 5g fears, etc). I got kicked out of my favorite community over this, and it's getting to be a conflict that's ripping communities in half.

Which is a much better situation than what I foresaw 3 years ago, where those communities would have just emerged fully immersed in Q legend, perplexing everyone that wasn't expecting to get flanked from the left.

But yeah. The woo-to-Q pipeline is real. It was designed that way.

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
---------------->
Buckys' right, tho

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
---------------->

Captain Monkey posted:

What do they say? You're literally posting Qanon level 'do your own research, follow the threads!' now. What evidence did you find compelling?

Qultists look at all 'the evidence' they've consumed and they /can't image/ a plausible explanation for the serendipity of it all, apart from The Narrative. So if your goal is to 'deprogram' a Qultist, having an alternative narrative that accounts for all of 'the evidence' they have consumed PLUS adds additional narrative-relevant information (and hbrings intrigue! and an opportunity to fight for justice!) is an effort to wrest control of their mind from the Consensus Reality hivemind.

If you're trying to stop vulnerable friends from slipping down the 'Rabbit Hole', having a relatively short and satisfying narrative that accounts for what they might encounter while 'doing their own research' can significantly stimy the growth of this virulent and malicious meme.

Shouting down such an effort strikes me as really weird.

Uglycat fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Sep 6, 2020

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
---------------->

indiscriminately posted:

How Q could catch on in people is at least as important a question to explore as who is behind Q.

In that interest, I have a document to share. It's a thread from whyweprotest.net, a site started by me and two other goons at the birth of Chanology as a somethingawful-style forum with a moderation policy that was inclusive of channers, goons, gaia users, ex-scientologists, and people from all corners of the internet that were down for destroying scientology. I'm the OP, user 'Consensus', and it's absolutely imperfect (and much will be familiar to readers of this thread), but it was an effort I made a decade ago to answer the very question you're bringing up.

https://whyweprotest.net/threads/on-brainwashing-long.11614/

not to give myself attaboys, but I'm pretty proud of this bit of writing (and the influence it's had) flawed as it is. It's the closest thing I've ever done to an 'effortpost', and it's admittedly a bit unpolished.

Uglycat fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Sep 6, 2020

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
---------------->

bonelessdongs posted:

Buck can you please shut the gently caress up and stop filling an otherwise entertaining thread with conspiracy babble?

no u

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
---------------->

bonelessdongs posted:

I mean conspiracy babble as in ten pages of textwalls that would be about pizza and basements if you spent a little more time on right leaning sites when you were younger. Go make your own thread to pick fights in while the sane or functional nuts users talk in here because clearly we're all a lost cause

so you don't have any theories as to why a major Qanon recruiting account also posts ridiculous propaganda about how awesome putin is and how russia is doing everything right

except a theory that the poster that points it out is 'as crazy' as a cultist

you're worthless in this thread. Bucky contributes. Please stop hounding him you dolt.

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
---------------->

Crunch Buttsteak posted:

I'm just tired of seeing 200 new posts over a weekend and having it turn out to be a rhetorical slapfight over whether or not minute details of a long, rambling theory "explaining" Qanon's existence are logical or not. If that stops happening, hey, post whatever you want. But your "debate me, cowards!" mindset is making this thread lovely to read to anyone who doesn't want to engage with you.

He's been proposing explanations and providing evidence that is /consistent with/ (not definitive proof!), and responding to bad faith trolls that are gaslighting him.

I concede that the replies to gaslighting are the lesser of those posts, but I kinda blame the gaslighters, not the person making an earnest effort and replying to people accusing him of being a nut. Cut the gaslighting bullshit, the thread will read just fine without bucky having to change their habits at all.

But yeah, bucky... Prester and I also dealt with this same tactic, and the principle behind it is to make you (or prester, or me) look like nutjobs. Don't feed the trolls, don't get butthurt, yadda yadda.

The hypothesis that Qanon is an op by an agency is absolutely as viable as a hypothesis that it formed spontaneously and was then astro-turfed. I think the preponderance leans toward it being an op, and as Bucky *and* his critics have pointed out, it doesn't change our present circumstances either way - any more than Covid being a bioweapon (it's not) would change the reality we're facing (deadly virus running wild). But yeah, in '07 I couldn't help but notice all my radicalized leftist friends that were heading down the qanon rabbithole - all seemed to believe, very strongly and explicitly, that Putin is 'Sexy.' It raised my eyebrow.

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
---------------->

bonelessdongs posted:

Actually he was killed by the remaining members of an indian family who were nearly eradicated by vaccines.
I'm onto your limited hangouts and parallel constructions, parroting puppet gangster slave

I thought he was killed by General Plymkin in the run-up to Saddam's return from the dead.

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
---------------->

ashpanash posted:

I could totally buy some trump-aligned 'operatives' or whatever taking up the Q mantle after it moved to 8kun[snip]

Before that I think the evidence squarely falls in the 'homegrown prank turned to unpredictable religion' side of things.

'evidence'? What evidence supports homegrown prank?

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
---------------->

indiscriminately posted:

Hey I know it's tough out there right now but please find a way to spend some time with people irl. Adopt a dog if you don't have one, take it for a long walk every day for a month. You gotta give yourself a break! Your posts here are not good for you and they're not good to read, you're stressing people out, and not for the reasons you think.

Hey, indiscriminately, I'm genuinely concerned for your mental health. This isn't a sleight, I just think maybe you should take some time off, log off, let your brain cool. You're sounding all loony-tunes and crazy and anybody in their right mind is obviously going to outright dismiss the nonsense you're spewing as a result of your mental illness that I'm diagnosing in you and offering you medical advice about. Honestly, authentically, sincerely, and this is not at all ironic or meant to demonstrate anything.

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
---------------->

RagnarokAngel posted:

Are you afraid we're trying to silence Bucky from spreading the truth, what point is this even trying to make.

No, I'm genuinely concerend for indiscriminately's well-being, because I care about them as a human and I just think they should know that everything they write sounds completely crazypants. This isn't me trying to use a rhetorical device to undermine their posting, nor am I trying to gaslight them. Won't you please join me and cheerlead this sincere message I'm sharing so that indiscriminately might recieve the care they so obviously, desperately need?

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
---------------->
I'm totally in good faith and all honestly seriously concerned about Captain Monkey's mental health. I just care so much for my fellow goons, and his or her posting is making me very worried that they've completely lost their marbles. I can't even parse the gish-gallop gibberish they post! A long break from the internet and intense psychological treatment is surely in their best interest.

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
---------------->

Captain Monkey posted:

I explained this to him like a dozen times. Hopefully it sticks this time.

Please stop posting.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
---------------->
I'm a firm believer that when you're a public official working on behalf of a constituency, that you no longer have a 'right to privacy.' This might be a somewhat radical view, but I'm under the impression it's actually (at least sort-of) law. So when the hillary e-mail thing broke, I was keen to criticize her for having a battlestation at home and claiming she has a right to keep herself private. Of course, that was more the result of 20 years of gaslighting her, so at that point she both values her privacy AND was pursuing public office.

It wasn't a high crime, obviously, and I knew back in '08 that e-mails coupled with FOIA would cause serious problems for our political system. I think W only sent one e-mail during his tenure.

But if I return to the initial premise - that a president (or cabinet member) has no right to privacy - Trump has been far, far, FAR worse. Hell, he classified the covid response so the virus wouldn't get a heads up on what we're (not) doing to fight it! He chats with Putin and other world leaders in private telephone calls and insists he has every right to keep it secret, that we - the citizens - have no right to access to the records of him acting on our behalf!

butteremails is dumb and dead, if you wanna pull on that thread spend the time to slay the trump admin with it. It won't be hard.

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
---------------->

Parakeet vs. Phone posted:

I'm a little worried about these growing Q and Sov Cit networks. There were similar networks (including the E-Clause people) that enabled that woman who went on the run after her plan to try to raid a foster home was exposed: https://www.thedailybeast.com/qanon-incited-her-to-kidnap-her-son-and-then-hid-her-from-the-law. It sounds similar to what was being built up in the lead up to the Oklahoma City bombing.

I definitely know a sovcit fam that was on the lam for years then busted by an interstate police operation and the kids are now off who-knows-where and the kind but foolish parents are distraught and facing serious prison time.

And I get the impression it's not a unique narrative.

[I taught the oldest daughter how to chop wood and got her to read "Sophie's world" before her world fell further apart]

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
---------------->
https://www.prnewswire.com/news-rel...oxT45ceBizYiIQo

Nothing really new here, but I hadn't seen this here yet and it deserves linking

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
---------------->
It's almost like q anon is the cassandra curse inverted

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
---------------->

Bobulus posted:

The pineal gland thing is way older than X-files. I remember it being a plot point in a 1960s b-movie on MST3K.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Leech_Woman

Descartes.