Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Lote posted:

Why not just get a random woman pregnant in Germany in 1945? Or multiple women?

Hitler didn't gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Prester Jane posted:

Before we continue on with this debate I just like to note with wry humor that we are in such a bizarre situation that it would seem that Occam's razor cuts in favor of this being the work of a solitary eccentric genius who is successfully manipulating the worldview of millions of people instead of some sort of political actor with an agenda accomplishing this task.

Occam's Razor would also argue that it's probably just some dude who is Too Online in Mom's basement rather than a geniuses.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Feinne posted:

Who knew that humanity's overdeveloped ability to detect patterns would be it's equivalent to stupidly oversized antlers.

Enormous antlers get bucks laid, nobody is getting dicked off QAnon.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Frankly, I'm unimpressed by the quality of their scholarship. Rituals are performed skyclad under the full moon on top of the tallest available building. The Conspiracy likes to be brazen etc. and tunnels, basements, or sex caves are declasse. Sex labyrinths are totally real though. Beware the sexy manotaur!

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

So during the Obama administration, what liberal/leftist website would you have to go to to find prose this frantic?

Hillaryis44
Fully insane from the minute Obama started winning caucuses. In retrospect, H-dawg getting destroyed in deep red states by a black dude should probably have been a warning for '16.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

OwlFancier posted:

Yes, and most other countries in the world do without an explicit protection from the government interfering in your right to say whatever you want because it is recognized that being able to say whatever you want is actually quite harmful.

Because if you make a rule saying that the government can't control something, all you are really doing is signing control of that over to whoever has the most money. You aren't liberating people, you're putting them under a different kind of control.

You're assuming that someone has to control speech. I know that as someone with a Monarch you're naturally servile but imagine for a moment if that wasn't the case.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Parakeet vs. Phone posted:

I'm a little surprised that there really was a skull at all.

I'd love to see a report on media affecting perceptions of human trafficking. Supposedly Rosemary's Baby and The Exorcist caused a large spike in American belief in possession and a literal Satan. I'm curious how much Taken and crime procedurals convinced people of a massive kidnapping underworld for human trafficking, as opposed to the equally depressing but far less cinematic reality.

I've got a lot of half-thoughts that aren't quite forming an effort post, but it's really weird to see things like QAnon and Pizzagate going "mainstream." Equally crazy theories have always been around, but they were usually on the fringe. Sure there were people who thought that a secret Illuminati laser destroyed the WTC, but I'd guess the majority believed in the slightly saner versions. Is it just senile boomers joining the usual suspects for Satanic Panic 2, or are things just getting that weird online?

It's just the fact that you can easily hook up with other people who think something is fishy and any group of sufficient size will have at least one person in it who will just make poo poo up to encourage group cohesion or for whatever other reason. 9/11 was an inside job morphs into the twin towers were holographic projections very easily once the people who don't believe 9/11 was an inside job aren't part of the discussion. If the Satanic panic happened now (and I'd argue that we're heading in that direction) you'd have people busting into daycares armed with cameras and guns to bring the truth to the masses.

I still think QAnon is just some 4chan dudes having a laugh rather than a nation state though.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

SBJ posted:

Just lmao if you aren’t woke enough to recognise Q as an alphabet soup psy op

An inability to accept that one crazy person can manipulate a bunch of other crazy people is a pre-req to becoming a conspiratorial nutbar.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

hobbesmaster posted:

GRAVITY IS DESIRE

TIME IS SIGHT

WHAT WAS WILL BE

Mankind getting unleashed on the Universe as as the screaming Id of the Qult is extremely darkest timeline.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

DynamicSloth posted:

That one's pretty fun, is Merkel supposed to be a year older than Trump or did Hitler survive in Germany until 1954?

.:!THEY!:. have mad science and Satanic power.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

He nuked Kansas. In multiple timelines. He didn't even do it to hurt Superman, he just hated Kansas so goddamn much.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

If they're not oppressed how do you explain his utter failure of a life? :colbert:

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

chitoryu12 posted:

My hatred of Pizzagate is mostly because hearing about it makes me hungry.

Actually, I'll be in DC for a few days a month from now. I should check out Comet Ping Pong.

Wiseguys pizza is so much better. &Pizza is also very good. CPP is like if you have nostalgia for Godfathers.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Corsair Pool Boy posted:

I heard Sommer interviewed on NPR last night. I didn't know he was a journalist, I just thought he, like us, enjoyed watching people lose their minds. Apparently his beat is crazy conspiracy stuff for The Daily Beast.

The dystopian beat I think he called it. Nice work if you can get it.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

I think its because the Internet itself is a liminal space. When you're on Twitter with the gang it matters way less that you're also at Margarita Mondays. A lot of these people don't have much going on besides the Qult as far as hobbies. If you spend three hours extremely online vs watching television you walk away with a feeling of accomplishment. After all, you spent that time with people who understand you and want the same thing you do, an end to the global Cabal.

Also, welcome back.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Well, that and hallucinogenics.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

They're authoritarian followers, it's not their job to come up with a Narrative, just to slavishly devote themselves to whatever.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

selec posted:

Considering it’s 99% certain they had nothing to do with this, claiming this scalp when both he and his brother have families AND the Q nuts have already had some public freak outs and will be looking for people to blame, this is super irresponsible for him to paint a target on himself and his family for no reason.

There are zero sane people touching the poop on Q. That includes people fighting the Qult.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Mega Comrade posted:

What the gently caress is 'alt-tech'?

Tech that explicitly exists to further the goals of shitlords. Voat, Gab, Hatreon etc. etc. There's a whole ecosystem.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

hangedman1984 posted:

I misread that as "succubus folk tradition I partially grew out of", and I definitely had some follow up questions until I realized my mistake.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Nso9sDGkOdQ

We're a culture not a costume. Though as an incubus I do sometimes wear those little red devil horns.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

The Fukushima tsunami/terrorist attack. I'm dead.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Fine I'll go look

Holy poo poo. Full on schizophrenia.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Prester Jane posted:

Yeah pretty much.

I hadn't read the full wall of text before and kinda figured the dude was a bullshit artist but that read way more like a true believer rather than an op, to me.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Imagine being that desperate to prove president pissbaby is in fact super duper smart that you’d lie about something that can be disprove in about three seconds lmao

The further you divorce your marks from reality the harder it is for them to leave the Qult.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

nimby posted:

Yes, how many people will commit suicide because a dude that died 20 years ago turned out to be dead? That's the issue of our time.

Not enough, frankly.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Just another reason the Hitman series is my favorite, because I can make it my goal to not kill any henchmen - only the main bad guy dies, and in the most humiliating and painful fashion I can conceive of.

What do you think happens to those henchmen after their boss, the guy they were supposed to keep alive, is found stuffed face first into a toilet? A neck-snap is a mercy comparatively.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Some of the icewall people think global warming is real. They dispute the global part but climate change just means that our sinkhole in the ice becomes uninhabitable.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

AWarmBody posted:

Why didn't he warn us about 9/11?!?!?!

He was from the rural areas and wanted to inflict suffering on urbanites as part of the massive civil war between the two sides/he didn't want to change history because it might end up making his whole plan pointless.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/JamieMcCarty/status/1098964113085079552

Anyone else think its weird that all the 2016 HRC conspiracy theories: the collusion with foreign powers, the charity fraud and the uh CHILD SEX RING are all actually true of the Trump administration.

It's always projection.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

AWarmBody posted:

I wanna see the olds who read that guide and think all LARPing is related to Q.

tbf vampires and werewolves fit right into Q's bullshit

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Slutitution posted:

We are literally in the midst of a fascist takeover in a post-truth society and you motherfuckers are still enabling it.

Society isn't post-truth. Especially if you believe it is you should simply deny and because it's post-truth you'll be right.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Satan is a nurturer, Zee makes time.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

tpink posted:

https://twitter.com/axios/status/1132298026066763777?s=20

Hey, remember when the future was going to be :krad: and instead we somehow ended up with a boring and lovely dystopia?

From what I remember as a kid this is more or less the future the Boomers promised us, minus the megacorps having extra-territoriality.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Deep
Underground
Military
Bases

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

The hardcore believers think Trump reveals the Q stuff in the run-up to 2020 though there is disagreement on timing. An extreme minority think he does it before the Dems finish their primary so that his opponent is X who isn't a pedophile demon worshipper. Disagreement over who X is/general disgust at the idea that any Dem isn't a monster means that most of the Qult thinks he saves the Q stuff for an October surprise.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Wherever you work are They hiring?

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Friends Are Evil posted:

https://twitter.com/qanon76/status/1141018572023586816?s=21

Imagine watching that new garbo Sandler movie so you can find Q crumbs

Viral marketing

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Grevling posted:

As hilarious as Qanon is it's also pretty loving sad.

admitting you need help is the first step to getting it and if that means you have to spend thanksgiving alone one year because you believed dumb poo poo on the internet so hard no one else wanted to talk to you then so be it

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Nah, Obama has seized control of HAARP and it'll rain every day until the world accedes to his demands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

pseudorandom name posted:

Counterpoint: this is a 900 page book that spends most of its time in simulated fantasy garbage and most of the rest of the time fellating libertarian billionaires. There is one chapter dedicated to the Moab hoax and one chapter dedicated to Ameristan and they are both completely irrelevant to the plot. The Ameristan chapter in particular is insultingly condescendingly stupid and really makes it clear that Neal Stephenson has been a lolbertarian idiot all along.

is it 'oh snow crash wasn't a parody' levels of libertarianism or more just standard cryptonomicon level of 'rugged bearded individuals will naturally be rewarded for their efforts if they apply themselves'?