Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer
Yeah I really like this video, I think it gets to the heart of why conspiracy theories are so popular and why you can't logic them away

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer

pseudanonymous posted:

Qanon has basically been swallowing up local crazies for a while, it's an amalgamation of a yoga crap and anti-zionist crap and new earth crap and right wing crap and antivax crap and satanic panic crap at this point. It's all over the place.

I mean in a sense they aren't wrong. There is a cabal of really loving evil people lying about the world and essentially running it for their own benefit in a way that will kill us all; and they undermine democratic processes and what not.

It's just.. Trump is in no way a hero.

As the video posted on the previous page explained, qanon has become a "big-tent" conspiracy theory, probably because there is no one big event it is centred upon, unlike JFK, moon landing etc, and the q drops are so vague you can read whatever you want.

I really can't recommend that folding ideas video enough. None of the actual text of the conspiracy matters, it is all about people feeling like the world is changing or more correctly has changed and they blame those who have been speaking up about how they are hurt and disadvantaged by the status quo for being the source of their discomfort. An example of the text not mattering is adrenochrome is never mentioned in any q drop but by now becoming a core principle of qanon.

Anyway another link to the video: https://youtu.be/JTfhYyTuT44

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer
Yeah he is or was a professional editor, so no surprises. He can throw out some lib takes sometimes but in general he's fine

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer

Rob Rockley posted:

The “trees” you’re seeing aren’t real trees, they’re just shrubs. The real trees are the mountains and mesas you see, even though they have absolutely no resemblance to fossilized plants of any kind. You see, the biblical giants cut them all down right after the earth was made five thousand years ago.

The folding ideas video really emphasizes the fact that a unifying thread of so many of these conspiracy theories is the need to connect everything to bizarre American evangelical interpretations of biblical stories.

What he opened my eyes to is the fact that Q, as well as other modern conspiracies, is eschatological, that is, concerned with the end of the world. The great storm is just the second coming.

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer

betaraywil posted:

All of human history has happened in 5,000 years,

I hope that was a typo

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer

RagnarokAngel posted:

Im a Jew but I think you are underestimating how much the Covenant of God stuff has an impact on Christianity. Christianity had its start as a Jewish sect, and there were even discussions about if you had to adopt Jewish practices or even be Jewish to be a Christian (rather wisely the decision was "no" as circumcision would likely be a non starter).

Judaism wasnt evangelical but it did have systems in place if someone wanted to sign on, it just wasnt actively looking for people. Christianity adopted the baptism from Judaism (who likely adopted it from others) and both required a firm committment to this new faith system.

This does get a bit muddled because there were several competing sects and when the Catholic church sort of won out in Rome they tended to want to suppress any other schools of thought, but Christianity was notable for not being syncretic and requiring you commit to it, much like Judaism before it. Christianity was just a lot more active in trying to pull people in and had a pretty decent offer going to boot.

The big one for Christianity was Sol Invictus, the unconquered sun. Constantine's father was starting his career when the emperor Aurelian attempted to institute Sol Invictus as a state religion to the empire. Halos, worship on Sunday, the date of Christmas, all have their roots in Sol Invictus. In fact Constantine hedged his bets until the very end, inventing new symbols (the Chi Rho, the Labarum) that could be interpreted as either Christian or not, depending on your own biases.

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer

Twelve by Pies posted:

You reminded me of when Trump met with Kim Jong Un and Hannity praised him, there was a video going around on Twitter showing Hannity a few years back saying how it would be a disaster for the president to meet with North Korea, it would be a terrible idea, how could he even think about it?

Hannity addressed it a few days later, and his reasoning was "The reason I said it would be bad for the president to meet with Kim Jong Un is because Obama was a bad president. Trump is a good president, though, so it's good for him to meet with Kim Jong Un."

The church I went to as a kid let anyone take communion if they wanted it, but (and I didn't know this because I was like 6) apparently Catholics can't take communion from non Catholic churches. So when my dad's side of the family was visiting us and came to our church on a day we happened to be having communion, when the trays got passed to them instead of taking it they just made a cross sign with their fingers. Which I guess is the sign for "We're Catholic so we're not touching it."

I was raised Catholic, and while true, because Protestant communion is not transformed by a priest with true apostolic succession, it is just bread and wine, right? The reverse would seem worse, sullying your soul with evil papist magic.

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer

VitalSigns posted:

"This is My body, broken for you...unless it's handed out by a fiend who believes any of the following list of heresies: Arianism, Nestorianism, Monophysitism, Donatism, Pelagianism..."

"...Docetism, Premellinarianism, Athanasianism, Homoeanism, Heterousianism, Anomoeianism, Iconoclasm, Catharism--"

I lol'd.

Btw the difference between Catholic eucharist and Lutheran/Anglican communion is Catholics believe in transubstantiation and protestants believe in consubstatiation. Which is a lot more than an iota of difference! (Little theological joke there for the fans)

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer
Of course. The hero doesn't die in the first act.

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer
QAnon has become a big-tent conspiracy theory

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer
Well qultists should be happy, the mass arrests have started lmao

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer
The queen is less free than I am.

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer

Magic Underwear posted:

The royal family is one thing but why are there still lords? They control a third of all british land and not a one did anything to deserve it. At least the queen is a figurehead and does some head of state duties. I'm pretty sure the Earl of Shrewsbury does not deserve the immense wealth his family has been given over the last 600 years.

I think you have it around backwards, most peerages are not hereditary, they are bestowed upon people who then sit in the house of Lords. So they were rich first, then became Lords.

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer

indiscriminately posted:

We don't even know the demographics of QAnon. I suspect it has (had?) a large footprint in marginalized populations, e.g. first-generation immigrants and First Nations people. I suspect it infected all age groups, not just boomers or even mostly boomers. Ditto socioeconomic strata, ditto geography.

Across demographies, the common elements are: News Corp propaganda, precisely targeted online advertising, and involvement in unmonitored communities on unregulated social media platforms. All humans can be dominated and radicalized by these forces.

I live in New Zealand, and I will say that Q and Q-adjacent conspiracies do have a sizable base within the Maori community here. Distrust of government is huge among these communities, probably because there were efforts to destroy these communities in the name of integration until very recently. Te Reo Maori, the Maori language, nearly died out before the 90's and still may disappear in a generation. Influenza and measles basically halved the population of Maori from late 1800's to WWII. So it is not a stretch for these people to believe that "big govt" want to finish the job with vaccines and fake pandemics.

A lot of people I know got drawn in during our lockdown, I think the only reason it is not more prevalent now is that our (strict) lockdown worked and US and UK provided a great negative example, thanks guys.

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer

letthereberock posted:

One theme I’ve heard in a lot of LGBTQ people with conservative politics is some variation of “I’d rather have fewer rights and be rich than be poor with rights!”

Yeah that sort of wink-nod approach works only until you are a big enough target or you piss off the wrong person and then whoopsie, sodomy charges.

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer

Clarste posted:

I don't know why but I find it extremely funny that this person decided that they needed rabbit-hole emojis in what is otherwise a rather desperate and frustrated post.

Boomers should be banned from the internet. They will never understand it.

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer

Fame Douglas posted:

The flat earth thing was a joke that got out of hand. Of course the people that truly believe it these days are also into every other wacky conspiracy theory.

Q was a joke once too

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer

Froghammer posted:

Flat Earth is a gateway drug to Chriatian Dominionism

It's this, op

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer

Somfin posted:

The politics to map onto it is "the market is obviously loving insane and it is currently in control of everything"

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer
But their reaction is insane. A sane market would just ride it out. But this market is so precarious that any wobble could send the whole tower down.

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer
Easy to work Qultists into almost any World of Darkness game

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Charles the Bald, Ethelread the Unready, and Edward Longshanks all up in heaven angrily demanding to have a word.

Also Unready does not mean what you think it does here

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer

Captain Monkey posted:

Did he really read this, or was that part of the joke?

Because QAnoners just having bought into M:tA's metaphysics and thinking they can rewrite reality just by wishing hard enough is hilarious to me.

My kids don't call! drat you Paradox!

No seriously, I need to know.

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer
Tell me there is video or audio

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer

Agents are GO! posted:

I don't know if that's :thejoke: or not, but I think those are supposed to be the keys of St Peter.

That's Catholic iconography. There is no way. It is more likely to be related to emancipation

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer

They realise that Q has not always been Watkins tho right?

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

This is a bit in the weeds, I think. To be like "in the early stages it was an amorphous trial balloon that would eventually turn into the weaponized poo poo-grift operation we all know it to be." I mean yeah, sure, but once it did coalesce it was the Watkins'.

4chan and 8chan use tripcodes to identify unique users, so by the time Q is posting as Q, we can say with confidence that either one person or a close-knit group sharing a password are authoring these posts.

Watkins basically highjacked Q, either with permission of the original authors or not, when he launched 8kun after the chch murders.

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer

Euphoriaphone posted:

There's a good Twitter account that analyzes the earliest Q drops. When Q first started posting, they didn't use a Tripcode. However, at the time 4chan's /pol/ had an ID system that's still active to this day. The ID is similar to a Tripcode, except every user is assigned one and it's persistent throughout the thread/session.

Q's earliest posts are identified by the board ID, but it changes from thread-to-thread. AFAIK this is why there are 'lost' Q posts, because there's no consistent ID to search for and Q didn't always sign their posts.
https://twitter.com/QOrigins/status/1311144252923981824

Thanks for the link. I am always interested in internet anthropology, and Q will be a study for a while I think.

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer
If we are talking about the show only, Homelander is a casual homophobe, but if you asked him, he would deny his homophobia. Which he did, in S2, and then proceeded to out Maeve against her will.

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer

Argas posted:

It's basically just asking if there's much difference between someone who is openly denying reality in bad faith vs someone who is openly denying reality in good faith.

I got my first dose and my arm was only sore for half a day. I feel robbed, where's my full vaccine experience?

It's the second dose which you can feel, apparently.

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer
It's arguable that without the singular dislike HRC managed to cultivate amongst the majority of Americans Q would never exist.

I suspect a lot of people voting for her in 2016 were holding their nose

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer
Mostly, it's that they aren't loving seppos.

dta

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer
Rodding is one of the reasons I can't stand star wars. Why bother building a death Star when you can just drop ballast from orbit

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer

eSporks posted:

Posts like this are nonsense.

The reason Q works so well is that it's nebulous and formless. All my friends that were Atheist, Libertarian, 9/11 truthers, are all Q believers now. It's easy for them rationalize away the supernatural aspects as part of a deep state false flag psy op to discredit the movement. But they all ascribe to the idea the election was stolen, the Dems are pedos, Trump is a hero, and Jan 6th was a display of true patriotism.

Never put limits on brain rot. Some "Atheists" still need something to believe in.
I agree.

The reason for Q's wide ranging appeal is it's syncretism, which is only increasing as the primary text is not being added to. I have seen literal fantasy tropes being seriously discussed in th community, and referenced by others

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer

Big Hubris posted:

Yeah, that happens Alex Jones held up a copy of Guide to the Technocracy in 2015 and said that "The elites, they love transcendence, they all want to improve the human condition. We must stop this."

That was the exact moment where everything started to break on a global scale. That was the historic, era-defining fuckup.

I don't believe you. I just refuse to believe you.

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer
Yes the adrenachrone factory is a level 3 node, harvesting primordial quintessence for Tass in the form of d10's

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer
Anarchy is 3 missed meals away

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer
Worse, it's a 4chan op

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer
That's funny, I just read a piece by an astronomer who was complaining that textbook depictions of the sun usually appeared yellow because the sun is a "yellow giant", but as it puts out full spectrum radiation, it is white.

This is just another "Mandela effect" BS, people think their memories are infallible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer

Neo Rasa posted:

Also the reason it's "so difficult to travel to Antarctica" is because several countries run a secret facility there where the majority of the nephilim are stored, waiting for a point where evil governments (it's other countries, it's only the US also if a democrat is president) will unleash them to harm the US under the guise of it being an alien invasion.

Difficult to fly to Antarctica? There are regular flights out of Christchurch, New Zealand. Less regular now than pre-pandemic, and expensive, but no harder than it is for me to fly to Alaska.