Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

BonoMan posted:

Ok I feel like it's just constant reduction or hyperbole. The conversation has clearly run its course.

edit: Ugh terrible page snipe so I'll repost the awesome "The Humans" trailer from A24 I posted last page:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dp3Whb77eXc

Excited to see this, I missed the play when it was in Toronto and I've heard really good things. Curious to know if future trailers will hint more at the supernatural/horror elements, apparently it takes an almost Lynchian bent in the second half.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
It kinda reminds me of Ayoade's Submarine, which is a very good thing because that is also a very good film.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

davidspackage posted:

Dude, when's my wife??

New thread title please.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
The Square was like 4/5ths one of the best films I've ever seen, and Force Majeure is extremely good, so I'm amped for this.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
I'm surprised I've never seen someone edit the first two movies together into one single film (which I would totally watch because they're both equally good).

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Ehud posted:

This is an interesting premise for a horror movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOHNOJdRsUI

This looks great, getting Carrie vibes with some nice European discomfort-satire thrown in.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

edogawa rando posted:

So, you’re fat?

what

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Carefully cutting around all the parts where you just watch him eat while scary music plays.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

remigious posted:

I’m guessing there’s some kind of cruel twist in The Whale? I don’t trust Aronofsky after Mother!
I also have a large father that has hinged a lot of his hopes and dreams on my success in life so I’m already feeling too many feelings just from the trailer.

It's essentially the plot of The Wrestler, but instead of suicide via steroids and wrestling in pursuit of stardom, it's suicide by food in response to the death of his boyfriend. It also pretty openly portrays his body as grotesque and applies the same style from Requiem For A Dream's approach to addiction and drug use to scenes of him binge-eating (similarities to an earlier mention of My 600lb Life, as well re: disability gawking).

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
Dave Bautista pretending to be a normal person in movies reminds me of Gordon Ramsay dressing up to go incognito at restaurants.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

kiimo posted:

I'm 100% certain they will have a full IMAX special showing of the films back to back at some point.

Honestly this is part of the reason I didn't see the first movie, I'd rather just do the whole thing at once.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
There was briefly an industry of journalists who attended those MCU marathon screenings and their articles all featured a devolution into the same Naked Lunch-esque haze.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Jewmanji posted:

Edit: I can’t remember anything about Midnight Special but for some reason that popped into my brain when I saw this.

It sucked.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

smug n stuff posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYnnmOYwO3I
New Luca Guadignino movie, with Zendaya, Mike Faist, and Josh O'Connor. Looks pretty good to me!

Is it just me or this trailer borderline incomprehensible?

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
Yeah, all the stuff I've read about it calls it a sexy sports comedy, but the trailer comes across as some kind of erotic psychological thriller?

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
I was all set to hate this, but I loving love Paddington 2 and this looks like it has a similar vibe. Bit of an oof on what's probably a fat suit joke, though, and that CGI is atrocious. Chalomet is giving something something Gene Milder idk eat your media slop fresh from the IP mill who cares

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
They could've just made a film of the weirdly violent Broadway musical from a few years ago.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

kalel posted:

is cats (the original musical) secretly genius????

I don't love it but the original production design was kind of amazing and they did a good job with elaborating on the concept (particularly all the DIY crafting stuff, like the giant train made out of a trash can). The best comparison is probably a ballet like Swan Lake, where it's impressive because they're dancers imitating swans and so on, but if you made a movie of Swan Lake where all the swan characters were CGI swan-people it would be a bizarre nightmare. It's not a successful show because it's an engaging story about cats, but because it's live performance that invites you to buy into the theatrical illusion.

The way Hooper hosed up Cats should be studied. It's fascinating to me.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Jewmanji posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fy008gWLCGo

Uh. I don't really wanna start a derail in the trailer thread but this movie seems pretty hosed up.

it's giving

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
Any biopic of Bernstein that isn't a bitchy suck-and-fuckfest is doing him wrong, imo

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
I see what they mean, especially the landscapes and backgrounds. AI-generated art is good at greebling and often uses that kind of subdued modern palette, presumably because that's what they've been trained on, but it does mean shots like the ones below now look suspect in a way they didn't before:

Technically it's more that AI art ("art") looks like this movie, but because there's a lot of procedurally generated imagery now, and it's a hot topic, it's understandable that it's the first association someone might make when they see something like the above.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
All art is bad.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Lord Lambeth posted:

I would watch this movie.

I've often thought that I would love to see a movie that purports to be future period piece about some recent event that randomly mashes together trends, styles, and references from the past 30 years, because that's all anyone from the year 2085 remembers about the turn of the millennium.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Shageletic posted:

I really do think they must have the most inept yet most insistent producers on any streaming service. The Wheel of Time pilot, for example, had 1000 notes from them according to its "showrunner".

Just a weird permutation of tech exec brain.

It had 11,000 notes!

edit: beaten like the will of a direct-to-streaming director

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

MonsieurChoc posted:

Wicked part 1? How long is the musical!?

Two and a half hours, but apparently they're adding a shitload of Wizard of Oz stuff and a bunch of backstory.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Lobok posted:

In fairness I feel like this is a lot of musicals I've seen. The best stuff musically is before intermission.

Unfortunately this is built in to how musicals are developed. What you think is a reasonably finished product can suddenly collapse in the presence of a paying audience, and now you're spending the entire try-out and preview period scrambling to fix as much of the show as you can, which usually means most of the first act gets sorted out and then the show opens before the second act can receive the same amount of attention. Wicked pretty notably spent three months between its San Francisco tryout and its Broadway premiere just doing rewrites, in which time they cut an entire hour off the runtime.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
I wish we could go back to the good old days when they still sold Foamy the Squirrel t-shirts.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Bugblatter posted:

…no? A lot of his films weren’t even shown on TV for decades after release.

The idea that Kubrick heavily used center framing for his 70mm, no compromises, theatrical epic 2001 because it would eventually be shown on NBC ten years later sure is something.

Kubrick didn't use symmetrical composition in 2001 because it would look better on TV, but it did get shown on TV within the next few years and the edits TV studios made to it (in one case they showed it letterboxed, but in the black space they put a fake starfield lol) pissed him off so much that he shot his last three movies with protection for both TV and cinema format. Those three movies look good in both aspect ratios, but he did do it very specifically because he wanted control over how they would look on TV and home video.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Open Source Idiom posted:

There's a few different reasons. He was attached to some popular films and became an Internet darling, but then was attached to a handful of really poo poo films (Next Goal Wins and Thor: Love And Thunder are very bad), which could account for backlash.

I've also seen people cite a video where he and Tessa Thompson complain about the quality of CGI on Love And Thunder as being offputting, but also, like, you know, that CG is pretty bad and largely down to decisions above either of their pay grades.

But I reckon it's also just that he's pretty front and centre with his comedy persona in a lot of his work, and that kind of thing tends to always generate a lot of negative attention.

I feel like he's had a Lin-Manuel Miranda arc where suddenly pictures of him were everywhere and if you didn't really care for him then it was really, really annoying.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
I would love a Ronald Reagan movie about his second term from his own swiss-cheese-brain perspective in the style of Shock Treatment.

edit: great minds think alike

Magic Hate Ball fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Apr 3, 2024

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Vintersorg posted:

Don't look until you see the trailer: Taking the style of "Kevin Can gently caress Himself" and putting it into a feature length film.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9mVxREqaoDA

Alicia Silverstone and Nick Frost in this weird Dutch movie.

I don't know what the gently caress this is but I'm fascinated. Always glad to see more Nick Frost.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Carpet posted:

Trailer for M Night Shyamalan's new film, Trap, starring Josh Hartnett. The trailer didn't seem that interesting until the big reveal half way through, I wish I'd not watched it as I would have gone and seen it anyway based on the strength of Knock at the Cabin.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJiPAJKjUVg

I feel like Hitchcock would approve of this conceit.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

BonoMan posted:

Wasn't there a Twilight Zone episode where this woman finds a watch that grants her the ability to stop time by saying something like that? And then at the end she stops it just before a nuke is about to hit and therefore she can never restart it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Or1UX7z8YBM

It's a play on this episode from the original series.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
Given that it's a Vekoma SLC I think that name might be literal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
Pertinent:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L8ZVpv0Y2vI