Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Gonz posted:

DC, make a Watchmen sequel film.

It'll loving happen, just you wait.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

What is it about the pathology of it that drives them to never, ever shut up about it? I feel like racists can shut it off sometimes, or won’t do it unless prompted.

I think between transness being a "new" phenomenon and feminist being falsely understood as a single coherent ideology (rather than a series of social movements encompassing a range of thoughts and ideologies, yadda yadda yadda) there's more room to keep sheltered and to rationalize discrepancies.

Like, if you're a racist or a nazi or whatever you know these beliefs are largely not publicly tolerated, but you also probably know that they're false. It might bring you some level of comfort or provide some sense of control or whatever bullshit, but you don't believe that black people are literally subhuman or whatever. You abstract that poo poo.

There's still some space to stay ignorant as a terf, and besides: "feminism" is good, so feminists must be the good guys. That makes radical feminists the most good guys.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Eggnogium posted:

What is the evidence of this? I think racist people are just racist a lot of the time. They know to keep it to themselves in public settings (or at least maintain plausible deniability) but the amount of deliberate, planned effort racists put in suggests to me it’s a firmly held belief.

To be sure, this is me just spitballing. Definitely, racist people are just racist, and when it comes to harm it doesn't matter what they "really" believe. Still, I think racism often serves an instrumental purpose, and I don't think deliberate, planned effort requires belief per se if there's some incentive.

Like, I remember when I was 12 or 13 and I became a little too wide-eyed at a joke a friend's uncle told me, which led to him pulling me aside later to shyly assure me that "he didn't really believe that stuff." Putting aside whether that was true or not, it typifies a type of reaction around that kind of poo poo I sadly got to experience more than once. Maybe my experience would be different if I lived farther in the south or deep in Indiana or whatever, but it's a very distinct behavior from what I hear from most terfs.

Or maybe this is just me comparing how people behave in person to how they behave online and I'm totally off base.

Schwarzwald fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Dec 14, 2021

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

feedmyleg posted:

lol if you think Hollywood is going to turn down the chance to puppeteer a CGI corpse for nostalgiabux

e: Audio deepfakes are already a thing, btw. Lucasfilm already used one for Luke in The Mandalorian, even though they had Hamill record dialogue. Not long before they deploy one on a dead actor.

Didn't that already happen in Rogue One?

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Lobok posted:

Bets on the nanomachines getting inside someone and turning them into a werewolf?

Watching the trailer, I was waiting for a werewolf to pop out.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

spanky the dolphin posted:

Surely we’ve reached peak Star Wars saturation by now? Are there any more unnecessary backstories they even have left to tell?

https://twitter.com/Matt_Alt/status/1500750515541807110

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

filthy gaijin flubs it again

Sounds like a ZX Spectrum game.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

thrawn527 posted:

That isn't really clear. It's supposedly the "origin story for the original Buzz Lightyear, the character who inspired the toy line". I guess what you're saying makes some sense, but in Toy Story we've seen Buzz Lightyear movies (or were they just video games?), and they're kiddy movies, not anything like this. Like Saturday morning cartoon stuff. But I guess it could be that the property became more kiddy stuff as it went on.

For the sake of argument, forget that Buzz Lightyear is an established franchise in actual real life.

Now! Imagine if Buzz Lightyear was an established franchise in real life! This movie would be just a new take on that franchise.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

I don't hate this? Navi with guns especially grabs my interest.

One this that does strike me is that while I'm sure the CGI is much higher quality it seems less impressive to me. Avatar the first, whatever else can be said about it, looked "more real" than anything CGI had up until then. This looks very, very good but not exceptional — everything else has mostly caught up.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

MacheteZombie posted:

What's crazy to me about this story is that avatar is 2nd at 146 while first place is a fast and furious movie with like 202 million or something. That's a massive lead

that's the n2o

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
TFA is reliant on being a remake/cover. Taken on it's own, large parts of its narrative barely make sense, but its easily to overlook that if you're familiar enough with ANH to fill in the missing gaps.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
I've been in neighborhoods in Cincinnati where they'd put you in the ground if they thought you were an ET fan.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
the loving opening sequence in Temple

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I know it can feel this way but it's because Youtube has shuttled you off the "main track".

99% of Youtube Movie Crit people's best video aren't even in the same league as, say, your average moderately popular Video Game Lore video. If we get into Affiable Engineering area they're a blip, can't remotely compete with, say, a guy who makes 3 minute videos of him picking a lock while pleasantly discussing security issues. If we actually go into the True Mainstream Youtube area, the Mr. Beasts of the world, they are quite honestly less than a speck of dust.

The average person is not watching or engaging with this poo poo.

Honestly, you can flip this around to come to a much less cynical conclusion: however completely loving obscure your pet hobbyhorse is, there's an audience for it.

Sturgeon's law still applies, tho.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

I know the dude and yeah the "I'm explaining stuff my planet learns in kindergarten to the dumbo earthlings" vibe is very strong.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

thrawn527 posted:

I know this is the perfect counter argument, but most people didn't experience the Addams Family through the comics first (or at all), they experienced them through the movies (or the show, but probably the movies).

The Adams Family has definitely drifted from its original conception. See also Wednesday, who was a bright and cheerful (mostly) normal girl in the original comics.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Samovar posted:

??? I remember reading through Adams original stuff in the Newspaper comic thread, and I NEVER remembered that.

Pulling some examples from those same threads (with a shout out to Painterofcrap for uploading them):

"Mostly normal" might not have been the right description, but I stand by "bright and cheerful." She's almost always shown with a = ) expression. Her goth Emily the Strange style portrayal in the 90s films forward was a turn.

Schwarzwald fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Aug 19, 2022

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
"Rings of Power" sounds like the title of a cartoon and toy line from the late 80s/early 90s where all the characters shared the same mold.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
The most obnoxious part of it is the soundtrack, tbh.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

CelticPredator posted:

I need the blood

Solid title for a vampire/splatter flick.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
The Eywa planetary neural network stuff was one of the most intriguing parts of Avatar 1, so I'm happy it sounds like its coming more toward the forefront.

Schwarzwald fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Nov 2, 2022

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Christmas Story is grotesque but growing up in the US north east rust belt it was alarming accurate to Christmas in that region even into the early 2000s. The people there are just like that.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Cacator posted:

Yeah that dude was like a 6 at best, she could do way better

Hugo needed to be either more cute or more scruffy.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Shageletic posted:

At least that plot had the hilarious scene of Alita literally offering him heart and him freaking out

Legit one of the best parts of Alita is how everyone fucks up by mistaking the murder robot from space as a harmless little girl. Hugo thinks he's indulging some kid's puppy love only to learn that Alita is deadly serious about her crush.

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

My original thought was that they chose his actor specifically to play off his complexion against Alita's in order to mend uncanny valley a bit and make you forget her skin was digital. If you look at her in some of the scenes she has what you might expect as a sort of hyper detailed human I dunno 'roughness'? but almost too rough, whereas Hugo's actor has a total babyface complexion that almost seems artificial by comparison. I've always felt since even my first viewing that the visual juxtaposition served a practical psychological purpose to some degree wrt a viewer's ability to accept Alita as both tangible and sympathetic rather than fake, where constructing that requires being conscious of how she appears in fully lit scenes with other actors. I dunno. I've watched the movie dozens of times and it's always in the back of my mind, and with that in mind Hugo's kind of half-baked yeah but not in a way that I find offensive, a decent example of dreamboat first love or whatever.

I get that but in this case I think going about it in the other direction would have been stronger. I'd want Hugo to be grimy to highlight Alita's artificialness.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

feedmyleg posted:

I think it has 1000x more warmth and heart to it than the Jurassic World franchise.

Tron 2 is undeniably buoyed from preceding a decade of cynical nostalgia that doesn't have Daft Punk and looks far worse.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

SolarFire2 posted:

I saw the title of the game and was legit expecting a remix of the music from the old Crossfire table game.

"I didn't mean to get caught up in it..." *mournful acoustic guitar*

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

precision posted:

So, if my reading of pop culture is working today, my guess is that it's going to turn out he's NOT on earth 65 million years ago. There's going to be some other twist.

It ends with him finding the Statue of Liberty, of course.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Sequel where Driver meets up with a cult that worships an unfallen asteroid.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

The interesting thing is that D&D has almost no value as an IP. There's like a dozen monsters they have control of, and most people have never heard of them (know what a yaun-ti is? How about a displacer beast?)

:lol: if displacer beast is one they have control over, since that's was originally taken without credit from a A. E. Van Vogt story.

It's "or did". There's a very interesting state right now where they are a massive tabletop juggernaut due to a couple of actual play podcasts hitting it big, but at a low point outside of it. Look at the list of D&D video games (the last one released was 2 years ago and a disaster, and D&D video games have been on life support for over a decade). The novels are mostly reprints of Dragonlance and Drizzt. Everybody knows their name from Stranger Things but that's about it.

It's astonishing to me that there was never a 4th ed video game. Cheap jokes aside, that system would have been perfect for it.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

caligulamprey posted:

It's the movie where this happens:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5dqS2eDRdc

...okay, Ultraviolet did a lot of things wrong, but I still cackle at it all the same

God knows what this says about me, but I kind of dig this.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

smug n stuff posted:

(bravely) I like Wes Anderson and that movie looks like exactly the slop I want from him.

It's the most pale blue and slightly orange beige trailer I've every seen.

I'll probably see it.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

MacheteZombie posted:

I lold because I read it as you declaring yourself beyond the themes of a child's story and found that funny.

I will declare myself beyond the themes of a child's story, if BonoMan is too much of a coward to do so.

And no, I do not see how this would in any way be contradicted my interest in the new Kamen Rider movie.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

kiimo posted:

Not one person mentioned his best movie, Fantastic Mr. Fox

A great film about finding yourself into a hole and then continuing to dig.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Why are they trying this with basketball when Yugioh tournaments are a thing?

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

ruddiger posted:

Alan Moore's original pitch was to jack up these old forgotten characters that no one cared about,

see also: Marvelman Miracleman, that Tom Strong issue with Black Terror and Tim, The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, etc etc

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Mat Cauthon posted:

It's darkly funny to include ESB on this list, given that the only reason the movie has even one minority character of any importance is that Lucas got roasted by somebody (IIRC it was Landis?) about the overwhelming whiteness of ANH.

Samuel Delaney, iirc..?

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

thrawn527 posted:

The epic new film will delve further into the histories of these Titans, their origins and the mysteries of Skull Island and beyond, while uncovering the mythic battle that helped forge these extraordinary beings and tied them to humankind forever.

If it leans super hard on self-serious fanfiction lore BS it might be entertaining but the odds aren't favorable.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
The Alita movie is basically a YA novel adaptation (even though it isn't). A lot of the fun comes from all the other cool and important characters slowly coming to the terrifying conclusion that this is her story and not their own.

That said, it would have easily benefited from being twice as grody. Hugo in particular should have been either much more or much less scruffy.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

spanky the dolphin posted:

This shot in the trailer is completely shot to poo poo from compression. There's just too much color.

one weird trick to stop viewers illegally streaming your film the pirates don't want you to know!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Huh? I thought he died of ligma?