Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

Pleasurekevin I will give you 100 dollars if you give me your soul. Please provide proof of ownership transfer via the soulchainTM colored coin system

I plan to enslave it and send it to the Ethereum mines

Beelzebufo fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Aug 26, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

what about the episode of ds9 where everyone ends up in like a board game or something and they all think they're gonna die but everyone is fine at the end.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

or the one where quark has sexual reassignment surgery and becomes a typical emotional :females:

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

an evil time crow that kills you no matter where you are, an it's super-tots serious this time, except lol no it isn't, everything's fine

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

a virus in a video feed that makes your eye-boogers eat you and replace you like the thing

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

u r

fiat nerd

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

...! posted:

re: businesses taking bitcoin->payment processor->fiat won't suddenly make consumers rush out to buy bitcoins

electronic..... PAYMENT!?!?

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

hah, you didn't read the fine print, so now I get anal

consent is on the blockchain, no takebacks

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Seen at an escape room/archery tag/axe throwing place

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

I would love to watch some bitcoiners cook themselves. Nuclear submarine already get hot from the waste heat they generate, even with systems to dump it. But I doubt those systems would be able to handle dumping the heat of 100,000 overclocked video cards mining e-pogs.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

ate all the Oreos posted:

yeah ads in big transit centers near certain industrial or political bases are always super weird, i remember rochester international airport had a ton of ads for like, drug manufacturing because rochester has a pharma industry. not the drugs they make or the companies that make the drugs, specifically tools and facilities for making the drugs.

It's a good way of measuring whether the transit system you're on is one that acts as a money saver for the professional class or if it's a lovely system for the poors in a car centric city.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

ate all the Oreos posted:

my favorite part of all these is they always think you can just like, buy a country, like countries are just land devoid of anything but a government so if you get rid of that it's just yours to make up your own laws n' poo poo

and that this country would totally be respected by all other countries, and not instantly invaded and destroyed.

They see enough to understand that bitcoin can't magically supersede all institutions within a system controlled by those institutions, but they can't really grasp what a world outside of things like money and legal ownership (which depend on the structures they want to escape from) could possibly function.

Beelzebufo fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Sep 10, 2018

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Weatherman posted:

sedge and bee more liek neo and bee amirite

Boxturret posted:

yes you are indeed :correct:

Djeser posted:

sedge and bee in the streets, heb sed and bee in the sheets

:wrong:

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

THe year 10,000 AB

We all celebrate Ross HASH-anah to commemorate the freeing of a great martyr from bondage

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Crypto’s 80% Plunge Is Now Worse Than the Dot-Com Crash

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Boxturret posted:

he at no point tried to blame mark karpeles for all of his crimes

makes you think

i totally forgot about fatty from france. remember board member tibanne? ah memories :allears:

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

what is the point of all this if corporations still control this poo poo

at least early adopters were crypto nuts with delusions of leaving the system. all these mainstream adoption assholes want to use bitcoin through loving companies, at which point it might as well be company scrip.

Beelzebufo fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Sep 14, 2018

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Why are you a sideways duck

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Trevor Hale posted:

you look like you’re about to murder that child

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Nice to see that Ted Rall is still incapable of drawing

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Yes, I too enjoy boom and bust cycles. who didn't love the dotcom crash, or the savings and loan crisis

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Legit question, is people erasing the labels on a good and putting a new label on a big problem in the food industry? If things are mislabelled at the start, how would a blockchain possibly change anything?

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Jonny Nox posted:

So what do you do if the correct answer isn't on the board? Because I don't see 'Bullshit' as an option there.

Brickstring seems like it could be a poo euphemism

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

So what exactly has he produced?

quote:

At age 13 he built a digital platform for students. At 17 the Spaniard is CTO of Sharge, a sharing-economy platform of charging-stations for electric car users that's partnered with Audi. The startup's peer-to-peer network allows people to rent out charging stations in their own homes.

Oh

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

finally every human interaction can become an investment pitch

this definitely sounds good and not like a black mirror episode at all

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Peter Todd has his Public Key on his twitter profile.

gently caress I hate tech nerds, Thank god Silicon Valley is moving on to the corporate exploitation phase so that they'll all be homeless contractors soon.

Sorry Pleasurekevin.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

...! posted:

Bitcoin mining could cancel out climate change efforts, scientists say

Thomson Reuters · Posted: Oct 30, 2018 9:07 AM ET | Last Updated: 3 hours ago

Demand for bitcoin could single-handedly derail efforts to limit global warming because the increasingly popular digital currency takes huge amounts of energy to produce, scientists said on Monday.

Producing bitcoin at a pace with growing demand could by 2033 defeat the aim of limiting global warming to 2 C, according to U.S. research published in the journal Nature Climate Change.

Almost 200 nations agreed in Paris in 2015 on the goal to keep warming to "well below" a rise of 2 C above pre-industrial times.

But mining, the process of producing bitcoins by solving mathematical equations, uses high-powered computers and a lot of electricity, the researchers said.

"Currently, the emissions from transportation, housing and food are considered the main contributors to ongoing climate change," said study co-author Katie Taladay in a statement. "This research illustrates that bitcoin should be added to this list."

Mining is a lucrative business, with one bitcoin currently selling for about $8,300.

In 2017, bitcoin production and usage emitted an estimated 69 million tonnes of carbon dioxide equivalent, the researchers said.

That year, bitcoin was involved in less than 0.5 per cent of the world's cashless transactions, they said.

As the currency becomes more common, researchers said it could use enough electricity to emit about 230 gigatonnes of carbon within a decade and a half. One gigatonne is equal to one billion tonnes of carbon.

"No matter how you slice it, that thing is using a lot of electricity. That means bad business for the environment," Camilo Mora, another co-author, told the Thomson Reuters Foundation.

Bitcoin mining, however, is becoming more energy efficient, said Katrina Kelly-Pitou, research associate at the University of Pittsburgh.

She said bitcoin miners are moving away from sites such as China, with coal-generated electricity, to more environmentally friendly utilities in Iceland and the United States.

I get the point behind this study, but just taking Bitcoin at face-value, both in terms of assuming adoption or in the assumption that mining is not an arbitrarily retarded process, send like such a dumb smart person thing.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

loving take away boomer wealth, they don't deserve it

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

how is it fair? Libertarians love that word

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

I saw the words "blockchain for client security" in a "what does the future hold" presentation deck at work and almost vomited.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

What is the purpose of money to these people? So they think pirates buried treasure to spread the wealth to future generations?

Also lol how does a printout get input into the blockchain exactly as requested without being altered by the finder? Does Bitcoin include something that allows you to input a block of encrypted data and run whatever transaction is in there without any input?

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Sham bam bamina! posted:

wasn't expecting to see that li'l guy again

shameful snipe i don't give a poo poo

you seem depressed

perhaps the blockchain has an application here we have not considered. another chance to innovate

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

...! posted:

In the hunt for cheap energy sources, we will unlock greater economic abundance in the real world. Bitcoin, through the harnessing of these new or disparate energy sources, not only moves us forward to a Kardeshev Type I economy but may bring us closer to a Kardeshev Type I energy civilization (We’re ~0.72 on the Kardashev Scale). With Bitcoin mining as an incentive, it may shrink the time we get to T1 from 200 years to less than a few decades. After reaching Type I status, there is less of a need to restrict the growth of energy consumption, which increases the standard of living for everyone.

A type 1 civilisation uses all the energy that reaches a planet from its parent star. Getting there in 200 years is a joke, getting there in decades is insane.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

...! posted:

History Lesson (self.Bitcoin)
submitted 8 hours ago by Ruld1972

- People feared electricity
- People feared first train
- People feared first plane
- People feared the internet
- People feared hedge funds
- People feared Bitcoin

People fear what they don't understand. Don't get caught on the wrong side of history.

everybody feared hedge funds, but now there's one in every home!

foreclosing on it as part of as cdo.

Beelzebufo fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Nov 18, 2018

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Jokes on him there was a 4/5 chance he wasn't gonna see that money again anyway so really he lost 100% months ago

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

why do they all look so tired, and why do they suck so much at lip syncing

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

jesus christ fiverr is dumb

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Hi internet, I will dance for pennies in front of a green screen because our society definitely isn't slipping into a techocapitalist hell, moreso every day

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Lol will someone please v just break into tether's HQ and price they are full of poo poo. The fact that they just printed 50 million dollars to save Bitcoin is hilarious. Even Weimar fiscal policy was more tethered to reality.

• Locked thread