Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

maninthesuit posted:

Preview: Who is that mysterious yet mysteriously handsome and gallant masked stranger coming to save the day? The one that uses an Age-2? It's totally the champion from the prologue.

Also, look there! A cat-like Haro!

I still think the best masked man scene in Gundam was Mika just walking up to McGillis and going "Oh. It's chocolate man."

Mikazuki might not have been a deep thinker, but he was very good at seeing direct solutions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Uh... Where? So far we've seen OYW suits, AGE suits, 00 suits, and a G-Self Suit. The only Wing designs have been the NPD Leo's, which are explicitly a generic NPC enemy.

There's also images of the Tallgeese and Epyon in the description of the game mode, but yeah. Not that much Wing so far.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

chumbler posted:

The drones looked like Virgos to me, or at least based on them.

You need more G Gundam in your life.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

RillAkBea posted:

Seriously if this doesn't lead up to an episode where Riku gets absolutely dunked on and learns supers are useless I think my interest in the series may be dead.

Next episode, someone with a Breniss Ox avatar shows up in a generic Zaku, wins by just shooting people in the head from a mile away over and over.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

yeah, children are terrible

A reminder. At age eight or so, Mikazuki Augus was a professional mercenary who used his first paycheck to buy a starving girl he just met a meal. He then talked the shopowner into getting her a job.

Children in mech anime have higher standards to live up to than regular kids.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I actually agree with this too, however, I think it's fine for the time being. Right now they're being used as audience perspective for aspects of GBN to show off other characters. Unlike Build Fighters and Try where it's more focused on winning matches (and thus heavily-focused on the protagonists by necessity), Build Divers seems to be more of a show about exploring the online world and the people they meet along the way. I'd expect it to dial in on the core cast more once we've met all of the (presumably) future Force members and it comes together for the inevitable Tournament arc.

We're pretty far in for them to both lack any kind of spark, though.

I mean, by episode 3 we'd seen Mikazuki double tap zip-tied prisoners, and he was a late bloomer as far as main characters go. Loran had his excited yell to the moon in episode 1, Domon tore up his travel papers and risked his life to save a cop who hated him in G's opening episode, Kamille assaulted an officer over an insult in one of his first scenes, and Amuro is introduced as the gooniest motherfucker alive.

Meanwhile, our leads here have nothing interesting going on.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

tsob posted:

It probably still has the sonic cannon on the waist. Well, it's definitely physically still there; so it's probably not had it's functionality removed. It's also more likely to dribble and kick the mini-Kapool than to simply dive at stuff I would imagine. That said, I would love to see Riku or someone else kick her at an opponent just once.

Edit: I'm biased towards loving it both because it's not yet another Bearguy, and because it's a Kapool and Kapools are loving awesome. Momo referencing Sochie or Miashei in some way too would be cool. I realize that they were referenced when Momo picked the Kapool out, but I mean having her cosplay one of them, say a line of theirs or something.

As much as I like Sochie, it would be better to reference the most effective Kapool pilot, Corin Nander.

Rocket punch!

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Guy Goodbody posted:

This episode wasn't bad.

I'm not sure I'd go that far.

(Also, the whole ninja thing towards the end was just... what was that mess?)

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

The Seravee thing would be a better excuse if we hadn't basically gotten the same thing last episode. Apparently, high level play consists of doing a pose and shooting beams everywhere.

If this was a better show, I'd expect that to hit a roadblock with an IBO themed suit showing up (official motto of Gjallarhorn engineering: gently caress beam weapons forever.) but... this is not showing signs of being that kind of show.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Kanos posted:

The Prologue was meant to be the highest level of play and it involved a lot of tactical poo poo and feints instead of "throw your super move at it". "Throw your super move at it" appears to be the preferred way of dealing with cheating scrubs who have no skill and are merely hacking the program to boost their stats rather than how pros fight each other.

I'll admit that a huge amount of the hope I still hold for this show is based on the prologue.

The prologue is the main reason I've stuck around this long, honestly.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

chumbler posted:

Feels bad to compare this to GGO. It's not gundams, but if you liked the way BF did things, you'll probably dig GGO which so far has been knocking it out of the park.

Oh, yeah. Wasn't expecting to like that one as much as I do.

It helps that LLENN is fun to watch on her own. A boring lead doesn't guarantee a boring show, but it definitely helps when you can have a scene with just the main character and a bunch of one shot mooks and still have it be funny.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Kanos posted:

The main benefit for winning these things is supposed to be building your rank.

And, presumably, most of the prizes are for the nest rather than for the individual team members.

This episode was actually fun, which is nice. The fight was one sided, but in a "they went in with a good plan, and executed it well against a foe who underestimated them" way, as opposed to just making the heroes invincible.

So far, it generally seems like Rommel is a sign of a better Build Diver's episode than the average.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Xarbala posted:

I forgot all about the BaCUE.

This is normal.

They're weirdly Zoid like for Gundam mechs, but without the things that make Zoids fun. They just... exist.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Overlord K posted:

I rather enjoyed this episode and am now very curious to find out just how old Ayame is supposed to be out of the game.

That was definitely one of the most hamfisted conflicts ever though. Never have I felt the heavy hand of somebody saying "Every episode must have a gunpla fight!" more than this one.

It's a fairly common thing in Gundam, really. Even Turn A had some clear fights for the sake of fights.

I know IBO had a fair number of episodes without mech fights, and 0080 had them be pretty minor most of the time, but I'm struggling to remember what other shows didn't bother with a mech fight of the week.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

A Guncannon team that's just a bunch of juvenile delinquents, loitering around and smoking.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

tsob posted:

Only acceptable if at least one of them has modified their Guncannon to have it's cannon be a massive pompadour coming out of the unit's head and uses a beam bat.

Of course.

They'd also have a modified Io Frame with the IBO bat and the Flauros's backpack. A Shiden Kai, if you will.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Sazabi posted:

Did see the fight between main group and Rommel's newbies? Because that's been the only episode worth watching so far. Even with it's own problems, episode manages to deliver fun if you can believe it.

It's weird. It was the only episode I liked, but it wasn't enough to even get me to try the next episode.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Zodack posted:

Yeah, that's the last I saw and I really enjoyed it. But afterwards it seemed to go back to business as normal and no amount of bear bear charm could make me waste half an hour.

I don't wanna be jaded or come down on the show but I loved BF and Tru really was a letdown in a lot do ways, so I thought surely this time they could get it right again.

I think part of it was that, while the episode was fun, it didn't do anything to address the show's main problems. The main cast still was empty of personality, the plot isn't going anywhere, there's no real stakes...

It was a decent fight, with some nice jokes, but it didn't build (heh) on anything, or leave a foundation for later episodes. Just more objects in space.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

RillAkBea posted:

I get the point of it, it's just annoying that they lazily finished it off screen. It was a perfect opportunity to demonstrate the difference between Do-ji, the experienced but untalented player, and Riku, the plucky new talent. They could then take a few of Rikus moves from the Do-ji fight an have him play them against Ogre who, being both experienced and talented, would play off of them with relative ease. So overall we get a more concrete idea of where Riku stands in his progression and also reinforces the idea that while he was able to mostly keep up with Ogre even in Transam, he would have ultimately lost the fight if it hadn't been interrupted. Then we could actually have Riku show some god drat emotion over the whole thing.

Predictions for next episode: Rikus gonna get given a hilariously important position in the federation of cool dudes.

I'm hoping for Super General King and Lord President.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Midjack posted:

Further, Sunrise can't paint the Bandai stand-in company who runs GBN and sells model kits in-universe as being bad in any way since that would impact real-world sales. So, nefarious employees required for the first two scenarios are out.

Is this where I mention that PPSE's CEO was the main villain of Gundam Build Fighters?

I'm as fond of making GBS threads on Divers as the next guy, but the precedent on this one doesn't say Bandai's stand-in's going to be full of plastic saints.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Monaghan posted:

Sazabi has been pretty critical of the show throughout it's run and in my opinion, overly harsh.

It's a decent show.

I dropped it at episode 7. Some of the in-jokes were decent, and the fight in that one was fine, but the leads are pretty much the worst. Just the most nothing characters I could imagine.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Zedd posted:

Ayame should have been a 40 year old fat dude playing a anime girl ingame. :colbert:

I think we all know the best real life ID for MMO girls is a six foot college student with a love for p 90s.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

They both make excellent points. :hmmyes:

The red shoulders mean it wins, because it has the greatest Abnormal Survivor as a pilot, but it'll explode anyway, because it has Chirico as a pilot.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Sazabi posted:

But he does a Athrun/Cagali with the GM3 pilot. You know, I think he has a hat. Maybe suspenders. Probably has a name but not so much a personality.

He has a VR hat.

He does not have enough of a personality to attempt a hat in the real world.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Midjack posted:

:fap: hnngh gotta make sure the audience knows how great Riku is huhhh :fap:

Tubby unicorn fuckboy is still a fuckboy and Yuki can join him. I halfway expect his Jegan will disassemble itself to become addon parts for Riku's mech next episode so he can go full Fumina (never go full Fumina).

Even Fumina stepped back from full Fumina. But then, it's easier to do that if you have something resembling characterization before you're shoved into the cheering section. Yuki does not have that advantage.

(Trivia note: Fumina was the only character from Try to make the top 100 Gundam character poll, falling somewhere between Sei and Reiji. )

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Potsticker posted:

Let's not pretend that it was because of her characterization on the show.

I considered suggesting there were two obvious reasons, but I thought this thread had too much class for that kind of line.

I mean, I don't know why I thought that, but here we are.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Sazabi posted:

You could even argue that her gunpla evolves with a character arc. A decent one even. Which is more than anyone has in the rest of Try or Build.

Also wanna know where those three placed on the top 100 list. Cause I'm thinking Sei and Reji are less than five apart, but Reji probably placed decently high. Yet I don't expect fumina to make it past 90. It's a real thought puzzle.

Sei at 70, Fumina at 72 (Dozle is right between them, for a scaling reference), and Reiji's at 78.

As for their shows, Build Fighters is between X and F91 in the popularity rankings, which isn't at the top, but it clearly has some fans. Meanwhile, Try is less popular than SD Gundam Force.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Potsticker posted:

Char at #1
Amuro at #2
Orga at #3!?

I would not have guessed anyone from IBO anywhere near that high.

IBO did pretty well, but Orga only got so high because a certain scene of his became a massively popular meme in Japan.

As for show versus character voting, it's relevant how people voted. You were allowed multiple character votes, but one for a show. So if your favorite was Char, but you thought Sochie had a great arc, you could vote for them both, boosting supporting characters. Meanwhile, your show had to be your number one pick, so something short like Thunderbolt had worse odds.

(You can also click on the names of the top ten shows to get demographic breakdowns. A lot of women voted for IBO, for example, second only to Wing.)

chiasaur11 fucked around with this message at 09:45 on Aug 1, 2018

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Potsticker posted:

Meme's don't always translate to actual popularity though. In this case it seems splitting up the various versions of Char and Amuro by series Orga himself got enough votes to be #1.

Ah, okay, that does make a lot of sense.

True enough, but it was definitely a factor. They also announced a few of the top vote getters at the halfway point, which further helped Orga. It meant anyone who wanted an IBO character in the top spots had a name to rally around.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Ka0 posted:

But the kits are selling right? If anything UC unicorn stuff still selling a shitload, that's more than enough right?
They should've really tried to keep the original build fighters writing team on board.

The original director left to do My Hero Academia, so he probably wouldn't be available.

As for kits, I don't know. Hobby sites don't seem to be putting them as high on the bestseller lists as IBO kits tended to get, the 00 Diver is apparently getting marked down to half price, and the base prices for most of the line are on the high end, with only two kits 1500 or below in the main line, and suits being produced well after their time in the limelight on the show. (Okay, technically 3, but Bandai announced plans to end the production of the base 00 Diver to switch over to the version with the backpack included if memory serves, which drops them back down to two.) Compare to IBO, where even the absolute monster kits like the Ein and the Julia came in at a pocket-change friendly 1400 yen, and it suggests that one line's probably doing better with the budget minded consumer. For the same price as the Galbaldy Rebake, you could pick up a Guision Rebake Full City and a nice grunt suit to crush in the scissors.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Ka0 posted:

It's uninteresting, which in entertainment value terms is worse than bad.

I'd say that it's both bad and uninteresting, which is worse still.

Riku is such a nothing of a character.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

PMush Perfect posted:

Cool, thanks. I'll probably just rewatch Fighters, and see some of the cool fights on YouTube sooner or later. Unsubbing now, bye thread!

That assumes there'll be cool fights.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Monaghan posted:

Sarah loving blows and everything around her is stupid. You're telling me they've hung out with this ai girl for weeks now and no one's ever asked her about her personal life and what she does in the real world?

It's very simple.

You see, time talking about Sarah would mean less time talking about Riku, and how amazing he is. So they can't do that.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

The same guy, Shinya Watada, directed Divers, Try, and Memory of Eden. The best thing he’s ever done is that 08th MS Team short where they fight that Gouf on a bridge.

According to what I can look up, he also did some IBO and Unicorn episodes that had a better reputation. (He did episode 4, with the Torington fight)

Might be bad information, but if I'm reading the data right, he can be pretty solid as a director for individual episodes, it's just when he's in charge of anything larger it goes to poo poo.

Meanwhile, the main writer was the same for Build Fighters and Try, but swapped out for Divers. So, yeah.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

You know, I'm torn on which would be the more amusing motive for the devs wanting to delete Sarah.

On the one hand, there'd be a certain bleak humor to AIs basically forming everywhere to the point leaving a toaster alone too long would make it go rampant. Purging abominable intelligences is just a basic part of system maintenance.

On the other, it would be amazing if Sarah was the first AI and they decided to purge her so the history books would have something less embarrassing for the origin of the things. Like, they're not asking for much, a Haro would be fine, but, you know. Not her.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

RillAkBea posted:

My money's on Sarah being downloaded to a real life Haro. That way she would be able to experience the real world with the gang and would also vaguely leave the opportunity open for her to log into GBN and enjoy having legs and taking care of her stupid nonsense pet thingy. Then again that might just make too much sense for this series.

One thing's for sure though, we're never getting those amazing 10v10 flag battles. That was all a lie.

Lie is such a harsh word.

It was a logical ruse.

(Logical because there was no way anyone would have even started watching if they'd pitched the show on what we actually got.)

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Midjack posted:

Turn Sarah into Skynet and just make it a Terminator prequel.

You could stay on brand, even.

Hashmal, IBO prequel.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I just realized something kinda damning about this show as a Build series;

Anyone notice how few new Gunpla designs and kits we've gotten past the midway point? Usually by now everyone has their hot new machine rolling out And immediately advertised for release as a HG kit within the next two-three months. Even the Champ's ride, when poo poo's going down and things are Super Serious.... is the same Age-II Magnum, only white.

The kits that are upcoming are all things that showed up as recently as the first-cour finale. I think the only new HG designs from the second cour have been the 00 Sky, the Blast Jegan, and maybe the Guard Frame? Not counting the HGBC scooter, anyway.

I know that it's been awful at the whole "selling Gunpla" for me personally. Like, there's a Kapool. I love the Kapool. And it has a goofy theme and a little mini Kapool it shoots out. A show would have to be pretty bad for me to not get it as soon as possible.

I still don't have the Kapool.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Raxivace posted:

GBN will be revealed to be the video game that Granpa Flit used to train Kio.

That doesn't make sense.

If that was the case, Kio would be much more genocidal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Caros posted:

It says a lot that your brain can't even remember sekai's name.

It's because, in comparison to Riku, even Sekai looks like Sei.

• Locked thread