Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Pollyanna posted:

I AM THE SPY!!!

Unironically the best line delivery in the trilogy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Pyrus Malus posted:

the one thing that confuses me is making a good action movie isn't hard because they literally have formulas for what works, so my hot take is the movie was intentionally bad because Disney wants to kill Star Wars - now that they've analyzed its success they can discard its bloated corpse to create their own space opera IP that is 100% geared towards merch sales, even more than the star war.

anyway quote me on this and let me know in like 6 years if I was right

John Carter's gonna smash the box office this time, I just know it.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Doctor Dogballs posted:

2019: Star wArs is bad now :wth:

Has anyone pointed out how Euphrates or whatever his name was, who got probated for arguing that Snoke was a Sith, was actually right since now Palpatine was alive and puppet mastering the whole scenario

Was Snoke ever not supposed to be a Sith? :confused:

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Mymla posted:

I wonder what would happen if they made film versions of the KOTOR games. They, especially KOTOR 2, have the potential to be either amazing movies or absolute trashfires, but nothing in between.

They'd need to change so much to adapt it that they'd probably better off doing a loose reimagining with some of the same characters.

I think it'd work better as a miniseries.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

The Glumslinger posted:

Palpatine can survive being in the heart of the Deathstar when it blows up, but Phasma died when she fell through the floor

:rip: to a real one

She's out there somewhere. Probably moved in with Rose.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I would've thought TLJ at least would've been right up SMG's alley. :shrug:

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

And I’ve had some pretty good success so far. After the three-episode ‘pilot’, you can just watch 6, 10, 11, 13, and Book Of Boba 5. The resulting ‘movie’ is effectively just the chill adventures of Space Batman.

Lmao skipping by far the best episode in the series (the krayt dragon one) in favour of the the egg eating one.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Nodoze posted:

Is the "they fly now???" exchange better than any of the worst prequel lines?

Yeah most of them tbh. RoS was awful but the reaction to that line was weirdly over the top.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Just get literally anyone else to do it. Isn't Michelle Rodriguez available?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I think the character itself is fine (not funny but fine) - the problem for me is the performance. She plays like a pantomime sidekick or something from a theme park ride, there's nothing convincing about it at all.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Pook Good Mook posted:

It could be Cobb Vanth

That... could actually have worked really well. As far as I know he was one of the more popular Mando side characters, and the plot beats would feel a lot more natural coming from him. You'd just need an excuse to get him to Mos Espa, and presumably he'd be there to dismantle the crime ring rather than 'lead' it. Hell Boba could have been the antagonist, having taken over Jabba's crew and wanting to cling on to his scrap of power while Cobb tries to bring him down. That would have been much more interesting than the loving Pyke syndicate.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Basebf555 posted:

There was just too much time wasted in those first two episodes because they needed that Boba in the desert story to justify why he's changed as a character. Basically an entire episode(i.e. half of each of the first two episodes) was dedicated to that and it's time that could've been very valuable for giving the actual main story room to breathe a little bit.

I can't remember if it was 2, 3 or 4 but one of them is almost entirely spent in flashbacks. There's maybe five minutes of present day Boba.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Has disney talked about where they want to take these shows in the timeline? I feel like we haven't heard poo poo from the sequel trilogy side of things in years now. Is that just all done now? gently caress it why not just retcon them

I just want them to continue the story rather than carry on meandering in the gaps between trilogies. TRoS left the series as a blank slate - everyone's dead or no longer relevant and the status quo is basically restored. They can do whatever the hell they want and take things in a million different directions.

Hell, bring back some of the seeds Rian Johnson planted before JJ smashed it all up. Show us more kids discovering the force with no Jedi around to guide/kidnap them. Show us more of the war profiteering class.

stev fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Feb 17, 2022

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Favreau's never been a great writer or director. He was involved in Iron Man 1 and was incredibly lucky that it spawned one of the most lucrative media franchises of all time. Now Disney gives him everything and most of it ends up being mediocre or incredibly disappointing. He's not a good actor either.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Nah, I think Disney's goal is to have something new out for Star Wars, Marvel and Disney/Pixar fans every month - or as close to every month as possible. People do unsub from these services and wait for the next big content drop to resub, and they want to minimise the number of people doing that - so they do what it takes to avoid a gap in the schedule.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

What, some rando called Shmi gets to have an immaculate conception but Rey can't? Bullshit.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Chemtrailologist posted:

Immaculate Conception refers to Mary being born without Original Sin. The Virgin Birth is the term for her spontaneous pregnancy.

Sorry father.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Cartoon Man posted:

https://www.theverge.com/platform/amp/22949905/star-wars-galactic-starcruiser-hotel-interactive-disney-world-photos-price

Previews of the new Disney Star Wars hotel experience are coming in.

Sounds like an amazing experience if you’re willing to role play with the cast/staff and are huge into Star Wars, assuming the price is not a barrier. Otherwise stay far away.

Five grand for two days? How can they possibly justify that?

(I know they don't have to justify it and that people will pay it regardless).

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

What I'd give to be 8 years old in the queue for Star Tours again. All the animatronics and poo poo was mind blowing. The ride was fine but the aesthetics surrounding it was incredible. I don't think I'd even seen all of the OT films at that point but it was just the best.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I think Jenny is more of a theme park enthusiast in general rather than a Disney specific shill.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I liked Solo. :) The winks and references were a bit over the top but not as bad as they were in - for instance - that loving Sopranos movie.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Darth TNT posted:

"So we meet again. But now I am the master."
"You're not even a master of Evil Darth!"

"You struck me down, and I'm more powerful than you could possibly imagine."

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

They look so proud of themselves. :allears:

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Do you get to pick a role on these things? Because if I'd dropped six grand to be randomly assigned the space Nazi story I'd be unhappy.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

No Mods No Masters posted:

Of course also, in the ST the stormtroopers are all kidnapped children who were brainwashed, highly confusing anything involving them. Though I think disney would be happy if everyone would just sort of forget they said that as convenience requires

I mean pre-OT Stormtroopers were also brainwashed enslaved children, they just looked like adults.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Can we get an answer from Disney as to where humans came from and how they successfully colonised like 70% of the galaxy? I don't care if they make it like a Stargate or Mass Effect Andromeda thing where they came from Earth, it just bugs me that no one ever addresses why one race lives everywhere and tends to be in charge.

Like we know Rodians came from Rodia, Hutts from Hutta, Mon Calamari from Mon Cala. So where's Humana?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I always just took it that the Empire pumped out millions of cheap plastic fighters because they could, while the rebels had a far smaller fleet of more robust, older ships.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Isn't that specifically a TIE for someone important?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

DeimosRising posted:

My four year old just asked me “do you remember the Star Wars movie where c-3p0 has a rainbow lightsaber and he swings it and destroys dark Vader in the face?” And I don’t, unfortunately

That was in George's original Episode VII treatment for Disney, which they sadly dismissed. :(

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

No Mods No Masters posted:

Dealing spice was considered morally repugnant when poe admitted he did it in star wars 9. But to be fair I think the movie itself, much less the audience, may have immediately forgotten that right after it was said

They made a ninth Star Wars?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

If harmful substances were all branded that way we'd see far fewer drug and alcohol related problems. Ain't no one buying death liquid.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

thrawn527 posted:

Wait, what’s wrong with Ellis’ Hobbit videos?

Nothing, her standard of criticism is so wildly above that of RLM that it's a mad comparison.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I think if you'd had anyone other than George directing the actors a lot of problems with the prequels would've gone away.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Basebf555 posted:

I feel like "directing actors" as a concept really involves a whole bunch of different factors more so than like, a set of magic words you say to the actors that directs them towards a specific type of performance. So it's reductive to say that Lucas should've just focused more on directing the actors, as if that's a simple either/or choice that he made.

So sure, maybe if the dialogue was written more naturalistically, and if the movie had less emphasis on special effects, and the actors spent more time on rehearsing their dialogue scenes than they did lightsaber fights, they would've been in a position to give better performances. But these are the movies Lucas wanted to make, he wanted the dialogue written that way. He wanted the groundbreaking special effects. So the reason the actors weren't given a completely different set of circumstances to give a completely different set of performances is because that would've been a different movie from what Lucas wanted to make.

Yeah but we were talking about the stuff that was bad about the PT, and the quality of performance that George got out of a group of very talented actors is high up on that list. If you removed the racist accents that also would've been different from the movie he wanted to make, doesn't mean it shouldn't happen.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Even when they got deepfake Luke "right" it still looked like someone had dragged and dropped a gif of his face onto a different head. There's no dimension to it and there are shots where the light and shadow between the face and neck don't match. It's terrible.

I much prefer the straight up CG characters in Rogue One. They don't look real but they're a drat sight less off-putting and creepy.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

feedmyleg posted:

I mean, reading KK's words she doesn't really imply that at all, that perspective is VF's editorializing.

She specifically says he's been busy with Knives Out - so I assume it's still on the cards once that trilogy is done.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Ingmar terdman posted:

Half a decade of making actors say "real sets! wow" at gunpoint, and now all praise to the digital backdrop bubble

You can have both a real set and a digital backdrop at the same time. :shrug:

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

When have they really catered to anti-prequel stuff? They filled in the main gap in that story by finishing Clone Wars and the new flagship show is basically a direct sequel to ROTS.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I accept that Abrams didn't like the prequels, but I just felt like Disney primarily wanted to tell the story that picks up after the original trilogy, and the prequels just weren't all that relevant to doing so.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Spermando posted:

There's definitely prequels stuff in TROS, but for the life of me I don't remember any prequels references in The Last Jedi. Was it the fact that Luke says the word "Sidious"?

More the recognition that the Jedi loving suck I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Glottis posted:

Is JJ fully gone from the franchise? Disney only cares about money and he was very successful in that regard. I could very easily see them falling back to him again if another director, I dunno, attempts to make something that isn't pure nostalgia bait.

TRoS made half what TFA made and a good chunk less than TLJ.