Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Shrapnig posted:

This is dumb.

Willian will be 30 in August so United would have 30 year old Alexis off the left and 30 year old Willian off the right instead of playing Martial and Rashford. Cool.

Hang on, are you saying that Jose Mourinho might prefer playing old players he has worked with before, rather than developing youth?

Say it ain't so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
you'll never win anything with kids

- jose mourinho, 2018

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
I'd take Ramsey at Liverpool, after seeing how Klopp turned Ox around I'd love to see him get his hands on other Arsenal midfielders

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
idk anything about this Fabinho fellow but I can already tell he's the world's greatest defensive midfielder

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

TheBigAristotle posted:

Why was Fabinho so cheap? Must be a red flag somewhere. Or has he got one year left on his deal

friend he cost arsenal's entire transfer budget i wouldnt call that cheap lol

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Ronaldo player/manager

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Yeah whatever happened to him? That one goal was legit one of the best I've ever seen and then he just vanished into Ligue 1 anonymity or something?

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Gorn Myson posted:

That one came out of nowhere

Not really, there were rumours for like the last year that he would sign for Juve on a free this summer

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

EvilHawk posted:

I think we would have kept him if he hadn't had a crazy release clause demand (iirc he wanted something over £100k/week, but a release clause <£50m). There's also an added fact that he'd simply get less game time this season. Fabinho is going to be at least our second choice DM. Keita is going to be at least second choice CM. You'd wager Henderson is going to play more often than not. We're looking at Fekir who is probably going to be playing in CM as much as anywhere else. Throw in everyone else and that limits the game time for someone who wants to be our first choice number 6.

He also wasn't particularly good at being a DM. Constantly left players, constantly out of position.

Can is not a good player and frankly I won't miss the occasional wondergoal since we probably conceded more goals from him cheaply giving away possession or fouling people than we scored thanks to him. I think it's no coincidence that some of the team's best performances were after he just stopped playing in the second half of the season in favour of three of Henderson/Wijnaldum/Ox/Milner in midfield instead.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Straight swap for Gareth Bale

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Brony Car posted:

What’s the source? He seems too old with too high a wage for FSG’s tastes. And, like you said, he’s not consistently great.

He's only 26, same age as Firmino and one year older than Mane and Salah.

Presumably he would just be a backup for the front three which I guess would be okay? We could really use some rotation for next season so they don't get burned out by playing almost every game.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Wengy posted:

Shaqiri is also good in the 10 position, as I said, I don't think Liverpool are really stacked there tbh

I don't think Liverpool really play with a 10 right now, but I can't tell if that's because Coutinho left and Lallana was injured and Klopp didn't trust anyone else to play that role, or if it's because his 4-3-3 doesn't have an attacking midfielder because the front three don't need one and the defence needs the help of three more defensive-minded midfielders.

Like, could Shaqiri do the kind of box-to-box thing that Ox and Wijnaldum were doing last season?

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Wengy posted:

I'm not sure he'd be effective in that role; he'd definitely have the stamina, but I don't think the Ox/Wijnaldum position would really play to his strengths. But who knows. In any case, he'd give you an option for those times you might want some added creativity in front of the deeper central midfielders (and a mean free kick / corner taker), and he'd do well on both wings.

That's cool, I'd be happy with him signing for the relatively cheap fee that's being said in the media. Seems like a solid depth signing and if Liverpool are planning another season with long cup runs we could really use the depth.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

tarbrush posted:

The only minor downside is it would completely shut off the development path for Wilson, Ojo and our general assortment of promising attackers.

Ok Arsene

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Waroduce posted:

Is there a rule on the maximum number of times a player can be transferred in a window or year? Or can you just buy em and flip em like pancakes if you want

I think you can only play matches for two teams per year (can't remember if it's season or calendar year though) but that wouldn't stop a player from being transferred like ten times in one window while no matches are being played.

Presumably the thing that stops it is that eventually the player would say no and refuse to sign a contract with the next club.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Well I'm suddenly very glad I put Portugal over Spain in my wife's work bracket

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
I think Liverpool should sign Iceland's goalkeeper.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

General Probe posted:

Leno to Arsenal is a done deal hes a good but not quite great keeper who plateaued a bit. Arsenal should be a good fit and we already got a replacement who I rate about as good as him
https://twitter.com/bayer04fussball/status/1009142182501068801?s=09

idk I think Arsenal might have really got bernd on this one

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

The Kimoa Kid posted:

Every team has players who are "just alright" because there's more than 11 players at a football club and they can't all be world beaters. He fills a role.

And of course he did this, so he should win the Ballon d'Or:

https://twitter.com/ElNennY/status/947111775866114049

lmao this is good

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
I look forward to Emre Can never playing for Liverpool again and Good Guy Naby Keita starting all the games and winning everything

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

trem_two posted:

Wilshire had a medical with Fenerbahce and will be announced Monday, according to the Turkish media.

lmao what a career trajectory

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Ninpo posted:

Relax, there's a world cup on, there's not going to be much going on with transfers while players are concentrating on a tournament.

I'm not exactly convinced we've been negotiating with Fellaini mid tournament either.

lmao

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Apparently Fiat workers are going to go on strike because the investment group that owns them also owns Juventus and they're mad they spent 100m on Ronaldo instead of investing in the factory

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-44807281

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

The Kimoa Kid posted:

Why would you leave it this late when it's such an obvious need?

Because it's so obvious that every club will demand sky-high transfer fees. 65m for Alisson ffs that's an insane amount of money for a keeper who conceded 7 goals when we played him in the CL semifinal. Any sane manager would make up a story that Liverpool actually aren't interested in a keeper because in football saying you're interested in anything ever means paying more for it. Just look at how Klopp's transfers went last season, he made it really clear which players he wanted and ended up hugely overpaying for some of them because it was so obvious he wanted to sign them and not anyone else.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

The Kimoa Kid posted:

Don't only approach super obvious targets, maybe? Leno is by nooooooo means a guarantee, but he only cost 20m.

That's exactly what Klopp and Liverpool have done so far this season, signing Fabinho completely out of the blue when no one even knew they were interested in him. The point isn't that Liverpool are going to sign Alisson, the point is that Alisson is the keeper people keep linking to Liverpool and as a result the price that's touted for him is insanely high. It would be the same no matter who the keeper was because everybody knows Liverpool need a new keeper.

All I'm saying is don't trust anything any manager ever says during a transfer window. Klopp might sign a new keeper or he might not but saying he definitely won't because he said he trusts his current keepers is dumb because he might be saying that because it's true or he might be saying that because he wants to try and keep transfer fees down.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Sad King Billy posted:

I think Liverpool are doomed to suffer a merry-go-round of mediocre or flawed keepers.

It is like a gipsy curse.

Pepe Reina owned

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
I don't mind Shaqiri as a backup so the front three can rest occasionally, also I think he was cheap as hell so it's not like he cut into our budget for signing better players.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

that fivehead god drat

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

35m is crazy for Courtois when Alisson is apparently going for 70m

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

saihttam posted:

Any cool and good right backs with international experience on the market after the world cup?

Presumably someone could sign Pavard if they wanted to

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Blinkz0rz posted:

It would super own if Chelsea sold Courtois and then hijacked the Alisson transfer to replace him

then Liverpool would be free to sign Keylor Navas instead and probably for less than Alisson

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Finally someone to fill the hole left behind by Jay Spearing

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Fabianski should not be allowed anywhere near Liverpool's goalkeeping coaches.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Jose posted:

lol if chelsea agreed to sell courtois because they thought they were going to sign allison

Maybe it'll become a Navas/Courtois swap like the De Gea fiaxco was supposed to be a few years ago

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
I don't think this is CL money, this is the Coutinho money. Liverpool had 150m sitting around plus whatever the transfer budget would have been for this season anyway, and it looks like most of that's gone on Fabinho and Alisson. I think the club would still have money to sign Fekir if they want to, but I don't know anything about him except that he played about five minutes at the end of most of France's World Cup games so yeah.

Before anyone says anything, I'm pretty sure last season's signing weren't paid for with Coutinho money. At the start of last season Klopp wanted Salah, Keita, and VVD, and so presumably he had the transfer budget to sign those three even before selling Coutinho. Maybe some of the extra money Liverpool had to pay for VVD was covered by the Coutinho sale, but I think most of that money has just been sitting around burning a hole in Klopp's pocket for six months.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
I can't speak for all Liverpool fans but I'm happy we're addressing our keeper issues. I don't know a ton about Alisson but people who've seen more of him say he's good so that's fine with me. We're spending a lot of money but that's the market these days and there aren't a lot of keepers available. I might have been happier with someone like Schmeichel who's proved he can win the Premier League, but Klopp doesn't like shopping around once he's decided on a specific target so oh well, I think he's earned some trust when it comes to transfers after Salah and Van Dijk were so good last season. Maybe it really is better to overspend on players your manager thinks will significantly improve the team instead of haggling over a few million and ending up signing a bargain backup Wenger-style.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
That's a weird post because you forgot about the existence of Robertson who was a revelation last season at left back, and also our new midfield signings Keita and Fabinho, neither of whom are really attacking midfielders but we didn't really play with an attacking midfielder very often last season, I think Klopp prefers a proper 4-3-3 with three central or box-to-box midfielders and three out-and-out attackers.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Still B.A.E posted:

I think he's talking specifically about people who won't be in the starting 11, and will be used as rotation/backup.

Fair enough, though the mention of Alexander-Arnold is a strange one then because he was basically our first-choice right back last season.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Lazar Markovic is still on the books at Liverpool so all our depth problems are solved

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Better get on that quick, it took him six weeks just to get match fit when he went on loan to Anderlecht last season

• Locked thread