Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"
A-ha always was a better band than Duran Duran, and it blew my mind when I went to Europe the first time and found out they never stopped making music.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

flavor.flv posted:

Media peaked at the flexi disc

Sure, 20 years later you had pack in cds, but nothing topped flipping through a magazine and suddenly there's a playable single you didn't even know was in there when you bought it

Billy and the Boingers is still one of my favorite things

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Flip two more and you’ll get that loving Pink Floyd poster with the nude backs

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

evobatman posted:

Study hard

Justification for higher education

The Endless Summer

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

stealie72 posted:

My grandma insisted on keeping those in the basement fridge for us and I swear you'd end up more thirsty after you drank one.

I know they were just a huge melted freeze pop but I hated those things.

Wikipedia posted:

Little Hug has an endorsement with NASCAR driver Ricky Stenhouse Jr.

Weird

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Nice server entertainment rack

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Gonz posted:

Circa 1989:

gently caress i thought those stores were so classy

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Gonz posted:

Babbage’s
Electronics Boutique
Software Etc.
Egghead Software
Funcoland
Game Crazy
CompUSA
Circuit City

All lost. Like tears in rain.

And all the software/computer trade shows in empty warehousen

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Gonz posted:

Babbage’s
Electronics Boutique
Software Etc.
Egghead Software
Funcoland
Game Crazy
CompUSA
Circuit City

All lost. Like tears in rain.

Radio Shack had Tandy and software for it

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

maybealabia posted:

Really Tandy had RadioShack but yes

Now Tandy just has leather

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Toupee Groupie posted:

Fry's Electronics
Cyberian Outpost
When Newegg was good
:smith:

Yes, I know Fry's purchased Cyberian Outpost.

I mean if we’re including newegg then tiger direct goes in the list

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

maybealabia posted:

Those game shows are super not syndicated

In the US at least

Yes, they are. You are incorrect on this.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

root beer posted:

Playmobil has a Magnum PI set, includes Magnum’s car, a Magnum figure, along with Higgins, TC, and Rick. Not gonna lie, I have the disposable income and it’s kinda tempting…

Glad I'm not the model type of girl anymore because that is dope as hell

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

evobatman posted:

I've never understood how American TV channel numbering works/worked. It's all just like "Oh, this new TV can get higher numbers!"

In Europe we had the VHF and UHF spectrum, but there was never any limit to how many channels you could get as long as your TV could receive the spectrum and store the frequencies.

There is only so much space in a spectrum before saturation causes signal bleed.

Wikipedia actually has a decent comparison of how different localities dealt with that

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

fappenmeister posted:

I have spent the last week or so watching China Beach and bawling my eyes out during the back half of season 2. It first aired when I was 5 and I barely remember it aside from the theme and McMurphy's hair, but it's hitting me hard even though I'm not American. Also, I thought Dana Delany was an angel back then, even more so now.

I can only hear Jenny Nicholson when i see the words China Beach anymore

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Animal-Mother posted:

Chow down? What did that button do?

this image has been what i most associate with the us armed forces for decades now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

wesleywillis posted:

My brother's/my Commodore 64 had a music program called Sid (or maybe Syd) player, and it had a bunch of songs on there. Including that one.

I don't remember why exactly, but I always called that song "axelf" pronounced like "Axe Elf"

SID player, it played .sid files named after the soundchip (Sound Interface Device)