Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

My 40k buddies are getting into Age of Sigmar with the battleforce boxes. One's getting Slaves to Darkness, the other is getting Seraphon. I'll get in myself once my 40k backlog isn't as big, I was thinking Nighthaunt looks awesome.

I want to get them some Sigmar figures each for Christmas, but I don't quite understand army building rules yet. They seem looser than 40k, would I be fine getting them a leader or unit from within the grand alliance for each? So Chaos for Slaves to Darkness and Order for Seraphon? The Slaves to Darkness guy really like Skaven, so I wanted to get him some Skaven.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Sab669 posted:

Why not split Soul Wars?

I'm probably going to get that in a few months. Right now my backlog's too big.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

I wanted to check in on this before I do some gluing to finalize it. I've got the Start Collecting Malignants box, and everything in it is nighthaunt except the Mortis Engine. The Mortis Engine's factions can't ally with nighthaunt it looks like. The Mortis Engine also builds into the Coven Throne and Bloodseeker Palanquin, both which can ally into nighthaunt. Looking at the difference between the palanquin and throne, it seems to be just a couple more vampire ladies and slightly different parts on the top of the throne.

1) Am I correct with all this, or did I miss something?
2) If I build this thing as a mix of the palanquin and throne (maybe magnetize the extra ladies, but that might be unnecessary), no one will actually care if I tell them which it is at the beginning of a game, right?

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Almost done painting these ghosts. I need to figure out how to make the bases a bit more interesting, maybe some grass of some kind. Maybe do a wash on the ghosts themselves, but I don't really know if that will help or hurt. I also don't know if I want to add some blood to the weapons. I wanted to give them a rust effect, but I haven't been able to use the nihilakh oxide very well yet.

I need to fix these awful candles. No idea how to paint them.

So far the ghosts are difficult to assemble, and painting them is difficult. It's a ton of fun though because the models look so cool, and painting them is so unlike painting anything else I've done so far.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Finished up the last 3 of these guys, for a group of 4. The guy with the crow was previously finished.

All my painted Nighthaunt guys to this point:

So far I'm really digging the Sigar models even more than the 40k stuff I've done, and I like a lot of the 40k stuff. Somehow I've picked armies across both games that are a hassle to store and transport.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Aside from bases, I finished these 10 guys today

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Snow day in Seattle, I got 15 more guys painted today aside from the bases. I don't have my base paint handy. Once I have it again, I'll finish them all.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

I'm up to 847 points of painted Nighthaunt.

I think I'll hit 1000 points by the end of the month, I'm halfway done painting the Mortalis Terminexus, and partway through the other 4 Hexwraiths.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Finished 4 Hexwraiths this morning (they were about 1/2 way), and 4 banshees. I'm at 1,100 points of Nighthaunt painted.

I'm trying to figure out my Lady Olynder paint scheme. I'm leaning toward matching the Nightshade banshee of these two:

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

The Deleter posted:

40K thread speculates this is an airbrush of some sort, since Citadel has a range of airbrush paints but only had a (bad) airbrush once, a long time ago.

My guess is they are going to stop shipping anything in grey plastic, and have everything come in colored plastic. It feels like they are halfway there already.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

I can't finish this tonight because the base has to dry so I can do a final drybrush, but I'm nearly done with this Sigmar crew. Duncan's tutorial on this one was so good https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=imCpspF6c5M

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

If you can find someone to split a Soul Wars and Tempest of Souls box, and have a local shop that sells at ~20% off MSRP, you can get a lot of Nighthaunt or Stormcast for a better price than other armies. If you keep the rulebook this will cost a bit over $100, if you trade/sell the rule book it will be under $100.

Nighthaunt has 220 & 980 points, for about 1200 total. I think Stormcast ends up around 1360 points. The units don't match squad sizes, so there's some creative accounting there.

I built a spreadsheet a while back to figure out the pricing. The ebay prices have probably changed since I made this. It's about the same price to split a Tempest of Souls box as just the Chainrasp in that box would cost by themselves, which is goofy.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

I never thought I would say this, but I'm finding that I like Age of Sigmar way more than 40k. I love the models in 40k more, and I definitely have fun playing it, but Sigmar ends up being even more fun each time I play it. I love how different each army I've played with / against have been (only 3: nighthaunt, flying dwarves, and slaves to darkness), the statlines are much easier for me to remember, the spells are a ton of fun, the potential alternating turn thing is great, and the much less fiddly rules in a bunch of other areas are awesome.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Certain figures seem like contrast paint was designed to handle. Squigs are a joy to paint with contrast.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

I am really enjoying painting the gloomspite gitz minis. I'm at 750 points. I want to get these guys up to a full 2000 points, but I'm going to work on my ghosts some more next. I've got enough Nighthaunt figures now to make some fun lists.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

berzerkmonkey posted:

Nice. Is that contrast paint? What color did you paint the gitz?

Yep, mostly contrast. For the goblins it's: black templar coats, wyldwood on wood, snakebite leather on shoes and belts, aggoros dune on the net, plaguebearer flesh on the skin, iyanden yellow for the moons. Nazdreg yellow undercoat topped with snakebite leather for the flag. Leadbelcher + nuln oil for most metal, with some leadbelcher under contrast paint on things like the leader's shield and the gong.

Similar for the troggoth, but creed camo thinned down for the skin and full strength creed camo for the scales.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

I'm really happy with how this came out, this is about 6 hours of work. Contrast paints continue to feel like a cheat code for painting. I picked up the model at about 4 PM yesterday, and was done by 2 AM. Most of that time wasn't spent on assembling / painting yesterday, either.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Anyone have any good 3 player battleplans? Anyone have good guidelines on running 3 player games? We tried doing a 3 player meeting engagement thing. The meeting engagement part worked OK, but our choice of objectives (king of the hill) just turned it into a last man standing game, instead. We also didn't know how to resolve some situations, like who gets to fight in each fight phase. We ended up having everyone who could fight, fight each turn, which was bad for the shooting characters who got to shoot even less often relative to melee.

Still, it was overall fun, and a good chance to try out my gloomspite gitz. Loonboss on Mangler Squigs was just deleting big guys off the board each turn. The fellwater troggoths were also surprisingly fun to use.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Is there talk of a Warcry Enhanced ebook coming out? The only digital one I see is the ePub, and I would rather get the fancy enhanced version if it's coming.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Spirit Hosts are murder blenders. They have 6 attacks each that do mortal wounds when they roll a 6 on the hit roll. They are great for taking down anything that has a decent save.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Fuligin posted:

I haven't played any miniatures games since wfb sixth ed, but I still like to look at the new models GW puts out. My impressions for AoS is that they generally look cool af, but I can't imagine how much of a pain it must be to assemble some of the larger ones, or how to give a not-poo poo paintjob when they all have tons of gribbly little bits and accessories. As far as BONE MARINES go these guys are pretty cool tho

They have new paints that make it pretty quick to paint. This is ~8 hours after buying the miniature. I bought it at 4 PM and was done a bit before 2 AM. That time wasn't all assembling and painting, it was also driving, chores, cooking, and some video games. Assembly was a bit of a hassle and I had hosed some stuff up I had to put back together. Transporting sucks.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

I'm excited to see Goonhammer Age of Sigmar content, but it's got some accuracy issues. The game's already complicated enough to learn, so having errors in these getting started guides hurts their usefulness.

https://www.goonhammer.com/getting-started-with-age-of-sigmar-part-3-advanced-battle-primer/
The article uses the 40k term for gear (relic), not Sigmar (artefact). When I've used the wrong term discussing Sigmar at my local shop, it definitely confuses people and they end up thinking I'm talking about 40k. The wizard section says all wizards know the 2 default spells and can take more. I think that only applies to wizard heroes, and not all wizards. It took me a while to understand how the gobbapalooza wizards work. They aren't heroes, so they don't know arcane bolt or mystic shield, and they can't take an extra spell from the rulebook. I think they can cast endless spells? The iOS Azyr army builder doesn't enforce this rule, but it's also pretty buggy, and doesn't seem trustworthy for building lists.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

RagnarokAngel posted:

Im the writer of that article and appreciate the feedback. I'll make those changes.

I admit I had a blind spot for the wizard "groups" because the only armies I play (Nagash and Tzeentch) don't have those so it didnt even enter my mind. I'll go back and check how all those rules are written to see how they're supposed to intersect.

It's otherwise an awesome article, and I'm excited to see Sigmar content on Goonhammer.

I'm still amazed how much I like playing Age of Sigmar compared to 40k (which I still enjoy), especially because I normally don't care for fantasy.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

I like 40k a lot, but I I like Age of Sigmar even more.

Here's some goblins. I'm torn on if I'll get the Christmas battle box.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Finished up 10 chainrasps, I'm up to 40 now.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Mostly finished up some more ghosts today. Gotta touch up the bases a bit after they dry.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Played my 2k nighthaunt vs their 1k slaves to darkness and 1k stormcast. We did the relocating orb mission from the general's handbook.

I got destroyed, because I'm very bad still. I don't even know what I should do better. Still had a lot of fun doing it.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Calling this done. Was a ton of work, but I'm happy with how it came out. I was worried I wouldn't like the horses as zombies instead of ghosts, but I found something I like with the colors.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

That's all really good, but the cinematic shots with the painting is an especially smart and great touch.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Goonhammer has a great article on screening in 40k ( https://www.goonhammer.com/start-competing-how-to-screen-everything/ ), is there a similar guide anywhere for Age of Sigmar? I'm getting the most value out of this guide for the reverse, understanding how to work around someone who's screening well. I'm specifically wondering in Sigmar how to best use my deep strike for Nighthaunt, who I should target, what I should try to charge. I keep finding myself gummed up in my opponent's screens.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

The Deleter posted:

A lot of that seems like it crosses over fairly well. However, there's one big difference in AoS - you can target characters even if they aren't the closest unit, but they get -1 to hit if an enterprising unit of meat shields is next to the target. Relics that offer - to hit against shooting, or make shooting impossible, are very powerful. The Deepkin also have Forgotten Nightmares, which forces you to shoot at the closest Deepkin unit.

For Nighthaunt in particular, note that all Nighthaunt have flying. In AoS, flying triggers on any type of move, so charges and pile ins count. I don't believe its the same for 40k. This makes it really easy (in theory) for your ghosts to get the wrap and trap going. Retreat moves also count, which means Glaivewraith Stalkers with their unit musician can retreat OVER a thinly spread screen and then charge again.

There is one big difference between the two games - you don't declare the target of a charge in AoS, as Overwatch isn't a thing. You just roll and see how far they can get, and then move as you wish to get to whatever it is you can charge. Because Nighthaunt fly, if you roll well enough, you can just charge over the screening unit and smack that Lord Relictor in the face (Hexwraiths love to do this).

Essentially, Nighthaunt can bypass screening really well. What are you playing against? How are they positioning stuff? More info would be helpful. :hmmorks:

I play against Slaves to Darkness most often, and often get gummed up on all their units that can roll to ignore mortal wounds. Other than that, my local store has a healthy variety of factions: Sky Dwarves, Stormcast, Rats, Goblins, Flesheater Courts, Beastmen, etc.

Unless I'm mis-remembering and mis-reading, one of the differences that makes it tough for me to apply 40k strategies to Sigmar is, in 40k the charging units get to fight first, putting a strong emphasis on charging the right unit at the right time in 40k, and that article talks about this in relation to screening. In Sigmar, units having charged doesn't put them in the top of the list to fight, and this is where I end up struggling with doing my own screening and navigating around my opponent's. I'll charge and pick my first unit to fight using strategies I would in 40k (tag a couple extra units with the charge that will get to swing back at me earlier than I planned, charging a ton in one phase and having my enemy wipe out a few squads before they get to fight), and that doesn't go so well for me.

edit: I really need to build some greenstuff drums for my glaivewraiths. I have so many of them from Tempest of Souls boxes I bought for the chainrasps, but they don't come with the drums.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Funzo posted:

Another maybe dumb question. What's the difference between the digital battletome I can get for $35 from the Warhammer Digital site and the one for $20 I can get through the Age of Sigmar app?

Getting it through the AoS app will unlock some battleplan stuff, which I don't really understand. The interface for reading the book in the AoS app isn't great, I've found it much worse than using iBook on my phone. The digital site version is more portable because it's an ePub. I get all my Sigmar books through the app because they are cheaper like you've noticed, and they are easy to find and all in one place in the AoS app. My book library on my phone can make it hard to find 40k books I'm looking for.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

I like the randomized turn order in AoS, it feels like it leads to a lot of strategic play. I also know that the randomized turn order is a big turn off for 40k players who aren't interested in jumping over. I wonder if AoS 3 will drop that?

Something I like out of a 3rd edition is a Battletome refresh. I play Nighthaunt, and wouldn't mind a bit of a refresh to make the army more exciting.

They'll probably also move to the 40k style of one purchase for physical + digital of some of their products. It's still weird that you get physical + digital codices in 40k, but not the core rulebook or the General's Handbook equivalent.

They'll definitely replace Soul Wars and Tempest of Souls boxes. Slightly less excited about that, mostly because the Nighthaunt half of Tempest of Souls is as much as the stand alone box of Chainrasp.

AoS 3rd edition will also probably adjust table sizes to match the 9th edition 40k table sizes.

Not a lot I can think to do to the actual gameplay, but all that stuff on the edges of the game seem like it's a driving factor in a new edition.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Geisladisk posted:

I'm curious. Does anyone, ever, play Open or Narrative games? Because I've not played one, and I don't think I've ever seen one play one.

We've thought about it a few times, but then realized it wasn't worth the effort of saving ~5 minutes on building lists and making sure they were comparable point sizes versus the 2+ hours of a game we would be playing that could easily end up one sided. Narrative and Open missions also end up sounding kind of crappy compared to the match play missions, especially because Age of Sigmar has a bunch of really fun matched play missions. We'll just drop matched play rules in some cases to facilitate casual games, like let people use allies they shouldn't be allowed to have.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

The culture around the game seems built around lots of down time. Before covid, the beer and battle nights at my local shop used that downtime to sell people beer and food. It also let people chat and hang out when it wasn't their turn. A more streamlined game would probably hurt that environment.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Is Age of Sigmar expected to shift to the same size board sizes as 40k anytime soon?

I want to get some battlemats, and would prefer to be able to have one or two that work for both games. 40k uses 44” x 30” and 44” x 60” right now, and AoS seems to be generally played at 6'x4' for full size. I'm not sure what tournaments generally run for meeting engagements, but Warhammer Community recommends a range that covers that smaller 40k board size.

I know I can mark off part of the battle mat for 40k games if I get the bigger one, but it would be nice to not have to, especially if AoS moves to the same board size as 40k.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

For Underworlds, our play group basically set a rule that all decks have to be made out of the cards that came with the particular band. That keeps it from getting too expensive or competitive to play. Underworlds is a really good filler game. It's quick to setup and play, and works OK with 2, 3, or 4 players. In the pre-Covid times, if we had a day of Warhammer, it would probably be one full size Sigmar or 40k game in the middle of the day, with some Underworld games before or after.

I think Underworld is better than Warcry, and both are better than Kill Team. I like Warcry a lot, too.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Doesn't a quiet removal like that usually just mean a repackaging with new warscrolls in the assembly instructions, and not new models coming?

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

edit: nevermind, misread the post. I'll just use this place to say "Please give us a new Nighthaunt Battletome, Games Workshop"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Lucinice posted:

I'm looking to get into this game and build up an army over the next few months and I have some questions/need advice.

For my first army I’m considering one of the following:
Cities of Sigmar
Kharadon Overlords
Lumineth Realm Lords
Disciples of Tzeentch
Slaves To Darkness
Gloomspite Gitz

So if I want to make a 1000 point army for any of these what is it probably going to cost me?
I play Underworlds and I know a bunch of the warbands can be used in AoS so that might help me.
(I have the Slaves warband, the Tzeentch warband, the Overlords warband, and both Gitz warbands)

Also I have a question about the general’s handbook. I know the 2020 one is the most up to date but they still sell the 2019 one in epub format so do they still expect people to use it?

I only know about Gitz, but there's sort of 4 separate armies to choose from there. They don't synergize super well cross sub-faction, so you'll want to focus either on grots, squigs, troggoths, or spiders. You can mix and match, but they are more effective with focus due to the way the buffs generally only apply to one group. Spiders are online order only and not particularly good right now, but the other 3 can do OK.

Sigmar has an OK web tool for planning armies. It's not great for permanently tracking your lists, but for what you're doing right now of "I want to figure out what 1k points looks like and costs", it does the job: https://www.warhammer-community.com/warscroll-builder/
The phone app is better for permanent list tracking, with the downside that you can't bring your lists to the PC easily, so you're only editing them on your phone. Battlescribe can do AoS in a pinch, but it kind of sucks for AoS.

Also note that the terrain is free from a points perspective, but not from a dollar perspective. You'll want it, but it's $60 MSRP.

A good starter grot list would be:
1x terrain $60 https://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/Gloomspite-gitz-bad-moon-loonshrine-2019
1x Loonboss $30 https://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/Gloomspite-Gitz-Loonboss-2019
1x Skragrott the Loonking $36 https://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/Gloomspite-Gitz-Skragrott-The-Loonking-2019
1x endless spells $36 https://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/Endless-spells-gloomspite-gitz-2019
1x sneaky snufflers $40 https://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/Gloomspite-Gitz-Sneaky-Snufflers-2019
1x fanatics $40 https://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/Gloomspite-Gitz:-Fanatics-2019
3x grots (can be built a few ways, stabbas with stabbas+moon shields is a flexible option for all 3) $114 https://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/Gloomspite-Gitz-Grots-2019
$320
That gets you two wizards, and the endless spells. Gitz have some great spells, and the endless spells are really cool models for them. Sneaky Snufflers provide a really strong buff to your grots.

If you just want the "Mash up the goblins, I don't care about synergy", then you could grab:
1x terrain $60 https://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/Gloomspite-gitz-bad-moon-loonshrine-2019
2x Start Collecting $190 https://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/Start-Collecting-Gloomspite-Gitz-2020
1x Mangler Squigs $80 https://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/Gloomspite-Gitz-Mangler-Squigs-2019
1x squig hoppers $50 https://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/Gloomspite-Gitz-Squig-Hoppers-2019
$380

That is slightly over 1,000 points, but the squig hoppers can be pretty good and can be built two ways, a box gets you 10 and those build in squad sizes of 5. This gets you a bit of everything, you're not going to have great initial synergy, but you can expand out based on what you like more here, Squigs or Troggoths. You'll probably want to look up the White Dwarf rules for how to use the terrain with non-grots, it won't be super useful with the default war scroll.