Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Inept posted:

Ah yeah instead of increasing your pay, we'll let you participate in our ESOP where you still have no real voice in your day to day work and if the company does badly, you can lose your job and your savings.

My old bank job went through a thing where they stopped paying for breaks, stopped giving people overtime, and started charging everyone for health insurance, all without increasing the wage which was already pretty well below what one would expect to get at a bigger bank. I left and cashed in my ESOP, which was not only worth more from when it first started because of all of that cost cutting, but was also ending completely, meaning everyone in it was forced to end it, and anyone who had been there less than the required years to be vested basically got nothing. So not only was there no even remote incentive to work there, but quitting and cashing in my ESOP wholesale was the better choice than actually working for them since i had been there long enough to be fully vested and get everything that was owed me.

What I'm saying is that ESOPs are kind of nice if you're incredibly lucky and cash in while people are paying attention to the highest point of a sinking ship.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

ate all the Oreos posted:

That really seems like something that happened automatically due to an algorithm, and then when they called to complain they wound up talking to the usual customer service reps on the other side of the world who are only authorized to say "no sorry pay more please"

IIRC, though, at the end of the day they still had to upgrade to the $100 a month package even though it's for a device they really rarely use.

It doesn't have anything to do with what Net Neutrality is, but it is basically capitalism.png, and the guy makes the point that even if it's not actually a Net Neutrality issue, it is emblematic of what companies are willing and probably going to do without restrictions.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

Echo Chamber posted:

lol I'm from New Jersey

I'd rather have the pump ads, thanks.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

Yeah like a log cabin diorama or something.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
https://twitter.com/sambjoyce/status/1035843192069992448

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

Jerry Cotton posted:

If you get a tattoo and then have it removed, it is de facto a temporary tattoo like the ones you got from A-Team bubble gum packets or something, only it cost hundreds if not thousands to both make and remove. :thunk:

You're my favorite thing in these threads, Jerry.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I got the season pass to Tomatoes, by which I mean I planted my own.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

Evilreaver posted:

Mine are still early access

I kickstarted some tomatoes once. The whole bin fell on the floor and I got asked to leave the store.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
Please back my tomato growing garden box called TOM-8. TOM-8 takes specialized seed packs to grow genetically perfect tomatoes. Using our patented Delicious Ripeness Management software, we can be sure that only TOM-8 seeds are used in the box, and that all tomatoes are eaten at the peak of freshness. Any unripe tomatoes picked from a TOM-8 unit will turn to mush, and any left on the vine for 24 hours after peak ripeness will discarded by TOM-8's easy cleanup protocols. Be sure to back this project today to get the exclusive Founders Pack that includes 2 whole packs of DRM seeds, a commemorative tote bag, and your name in the credits of the documentary of the development of the TOM-8 units.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

Pirate Radar posted:

I thought that was a joke about the Juicero, wasn’t it built to only function with their super expensive tagged juice packets?

It was, but of course I was a full to think that there wasn't already something approaching the dumb poo poo I was saying.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

Former DILF posted:

I work from home as a retard masturbator

And what's your job?

I'm aware of the original, but I can't remember the exact comeback to this one.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

Powershift posted:

This poo poo has almost completely taken over cough/flu medicine aisles in drug stores here, especially the children's medication section. They try as hard as they can to make it look like actual medicine, and the drug stores make absolutely no distinction.

I imagine profit margins on sugar pills with a one in a million chance of having a single atom of the "active ingredient" in each box are through the roof. And just because research suggests they don't work doesn't mean they can't.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

Schneider Inside Her posted:

America hasn’t declared war on honest work, they’ve declared it on honest pay.

They've been at war with the worker for, like, 200 years or so now.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

mycomancy posted:

I'm really amazed you can type while simultaneously jerking off corporations. That takes some coordination!

There's a chance that they don't charge extra for the cup with ice already in it than they would if you just put ice on a cup, which I guess would be okay.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I thought cold brew and iced coffee were separate things. Like cold brew is a brewing method, but iced coffee was just coffee with ice.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

Graphic posted:

diarrhea is better because i can drink that for free

In a monetary sense, maybe.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

Jimmy Hats posted:

Way to rain on my parade, jackass

Don't worry, we can still count on it taking Florida out.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

fart store posted:

I hate poorly written slogans. Goddamn what does that mean.

Your bags should be as light as your heart.
Your bags should only be as heavy as your heart.
Your bags should be no heavier than your heart.

Try to come up with worse phrasing than theirs.

When you die, the sins of your heart are weighed against the lightness if your bags.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

pushpins posted:

Undercover Boss had an episode where a Hooters manager made the women have a bean eating contest to determine who gets the best shifts

How did he argue for this not being a fulfillment of a fetish of his?

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

actionjackson posted:

Hmm I thought they all paid higher than that as a minimum? Like 15? guess not.

I was making 14.50 there as a seasonal in the deli over the holidays, and apparently the floor and register people get 14.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

Coxswain Balls posted:

https://www.cnbc.com/amp/2019/02/26/leon-cooperman-amazon-being-pushed-out-of-nyc-disgraceful.html

How scared do you think the media companies and the rich people that control them are getting? I feel like I'm seeing more and more articles that are just "billionaire is mad, please listen".

Probably not that scared yet, because "billionaire is mad" is still enough to get an alarming number of people to listen.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
Yeah, general things get ads every now and then from their representative organizations. Eggs, oranges, the aforementioned milk. Pork was The Other White Meat for awhile for the same reason. I think it happens when they overproduce or undersell, or when a competing thing has a big setback. I think The Other White Meat came along when red meat became associated with heart problems or whatever.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

Cowpocalypse posted:

I'm surprised there's not more anti-capitalism attitude in the gaming world considering how hard capitalism hosed up games.

No no, you're thinking of the SJWs.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

Jel Shaker posted:

it’s like that young men tickle championship thing

Or that episode of King of the Hill where Peggy was paid to step on food in high heels.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

The Nastier Nate posted:

Guys I got a serious loving situation over here

I'm partial to Mundee's Plumapriumcots.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

Crazycryodude posted:

some random crap from the 1940's churned out by the hundreds of thousands

You mean boomers?

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

Peanut President posted:

it's fuckin great how jokes about being dirt poor 10/20 years ago is now just normal:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cLSfZfYd7yI

https://youtu.be/axHoy0hnQy8

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

https://twitter.com/rSoftwareGore/status/1176520299682172928

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I got most of the order of the "moving people and goods" question right, but forgot that me driving an electric car is somehow better than business doing anything or investing in transit infrastructure. Also please ignore the energy cost of producing enough electric vehicles for everyone to drive one.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

The Nastier Nate posted:

When I worked in a restaurant a 15 years ago the min wage in PA for tipped jobs was $2.83 so if you worked a slow weekday shift enjoy your minimum wage pay after tip out. I was a line cook though and I was making the princely sum of $7.50 an hour. Anyway recently I was curious so I looked up what the minimum wage for tipped jobs in 2019 in PA is, and guess how much they raised it to?

do you even need to ask?

It's cool that that number is 15 years. I got my first proper job in high school 15 years ago, and minimum wage hasn't moved at all. It's incredibly fun to think about.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

Wait, hold on, am I supposed to fell inadequate because I don't own my home, or should I be glad for landlords because renting is good? What dumb loving take am I supposed to believe anymore? Being a millennial is incredibly difficult.

Len posted:

Speaking of renting. I'm filling out an application for a new apartment and their wording here is pretty choice:

I dunno, something about using looming in any way just makes me laugh

"Have you committed a crime that you haven't been charged for yet" is an incredibly weird question.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
One time I had a relative have her pastor deny her request to be a godparent, on the grounds that she did not tithe enough. It wasn't an issue of her faith, or her attendance of services, but that she literally didn't give the church enough money. The Catholic Church is cool as hell.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

I love this type of poo poo, because it's a Very Technically Correct interpretation of data to Increase Consumer Spending On Anything But Public Health. The dumbest possible people share it completely unironically, and it always makes me laugh in that way one laughs to keep from screaming.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

The Bloop posted:

It's like Correlation Doesn't Equal Causation Dot Jay Peg

No wonder the average person doesn't understand loving anything

They understand correlation not equaling causation well enough, because that's the argument that's used against evidence of anthropogenic climate change. They also just shut their eyes and plug their ears when shown the additional data they insist doesn't exist. It's all incredibly purposeful, and completely selective in it's implementation. Some people just don't want to think that they and the people they listen to are wrong.

e: Not to go off on a complete tangent, but one of my favorite arguments for this type of stuff is when people say "The science isn't right, it changes any time new evidence is presented!", and it's like... YES! That's what evidence is for! The more evidence we get for a thing, the better we can understand it, and the more correct our predictive models will be, whether it be climate change or public health! Refusing to change in the face of new evidence is basically the exact opposite of research!

I hope it's clear that when I use words like "favorite" or "funny", I mean in the darkest possible sense and that I'm laughing at what is likely my own early grave.

SpacePig has issued a correction as of 23:46 on Dec 24, 2019

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
Sorry if I wasn't super clear, I wasn't exactly talking about regular old randos. I'm talking about people that put out articles like that, that go out of their way to purposefully obfuscate things. They know exactly what they're doing and why, and know how to appeal to people, and it works.

Also, it's not a question of smart or stupid. I probably have a bunch of notions influenced by propaganda as well, and probably am just as unlikely to give them up if challenged. I just am surrounded by the type of people that buy into this particular poo poo, who are otherwise smart and capable, and it drives me crazy. Sorry if it came out as generalizing or accusatory, I was posting mad I guess.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

Shame Boy posted:

"Are you sure it's pizza?" :allears:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLHRjaUBb3o

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

Kitfox88 posted:

stepping on balls but instead mocking your kd/score and calling you slurs

I have to imagine there's some sort of in-game emote that will also step on your character's balls if you pay enough.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

Scary! posted:

I want one of these so I can install a toilet in it

I also would like a wi-fi enabled port-o-john.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

Wasn't one of Trump's brags in his letter to Pelosi that he had convinced drug companies to drop drug prices?