Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

3D Megadoodoo posted:

lmao HOW IN THE gently caress IS IT A BETTER IDEA?

there's a pandemic going on right now that's going to explode once a bunch of unvaccinated, unmasked children start congregating in schools in the fall

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

Shame Boy posted:

Sure the water table in Florida is like 2 feet underground at all times, and all the rock and soil is highly permeable all the way down to bedrock (which is like miles down), but I'm sure smart genius tonystark elonmusk has thought of that

having the tunnels submerged in water is a pretty good solution to the question of "what happens if a tesla bursts into flames in the middle of the tunnel?"

once again, you're showing how stupid you are

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

i am harry posted:

“Dad, runner, deep history nerd, supply chain, vagabond, was not aware I had to have a position on the royals, ethnic Catholic.”

weird, he forgot, “literal pile of poo poo baking in the hot summer sun”

what the hell is ethnic catholic? doesn't that just mean italian?

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

Jabronie posted:

My nation wide employer just emailed us that our PTO is no longer reimbursed when we leave except for a handful of states

Lmao if you don't just use your PTO to gently caress off from work immediately as soon as you put in your notice

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

Splicer posted:

People who grew up with imperial find inches something they can easily visualise.

People who grew up with metric find centimetres something they can easily visualise.

People who grew up with significant lead contamination argue that since they find inches easier to visualise inches must be some form of platonic ideal measurement perfectly suited to the human form.

the metric system is superior because my doink is 25.4 millimeters :smug:

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

can i say i'm boycotting fritos if i dont buy chips? asking for a friend

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

tbh the weasel words of "ask at the counter about your broken cup" and throwing the serviceworker under the bus when they gotta tell someone the robot won't give them more soda for free is a pretty slick move

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

The Nastier Nate posted:

so im not a fancy big city lawyer but that seems like a crime

Landlords are allowed to refuse the rent relief :eng101:

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

Professor Shark posted:

Is that the one where they burned all the knowledge we had as a species and set us back a few hundred years?

That was the library of Alexandria

IIRC the sack of Constantinople was where a bunch of western European states paid Venetians to sail them to Palestine for the fourth crusade. Venice was mad at the Byzantine Empire for whatever reason so they dumped the crusaders off in their capitol instead

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

pork fat down the kitchen drain is a good move as well

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

Shame Boy posted:

Like gently caress, humanity's had tens of thousands of years to engage with the fundamentals of our existence and look what we did in that time. Hook me up to the hedonism pod and gimme that button to mash, let another species have its chance to become ascended beings and/or ruin everything.

ive been listening to a lot of ancient history stuff (creation of the celts, the aztecs, roman culture, etc) and it really does feel like every once in a while, some cultures do figure it out. thing is, they're massacred by the warrior culture as soon as the two meet. its the "we need to murder and subjugate everyone that isn't us" cultures that spread, mostly because they murder and subjugate everyone that has different ideas

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

the sex ghost posted:

Wonder how far away we are from some tech guy saying they're going to solve the climate crisis and food shortages etc by getting people to consent to go into the matrix pods and live in vr except you get in and it looks like second life and unless you pay for matrix premium you just get constant ads at ear splitting volume and you can't turn them off

I already live this at work. Windows had an update where now they materialize a giant box that takes up a quarter of my screen with news, weather from Seattle (I live in Ohio), and updates about Microsoft products

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

Shame Boy posted:

Yeah they will straight up hire private investigators to spy on you 24/7 to get evidence that you're not really disabled or whatever. And evidence of "faking it" can be stuff like "went outside and looked happy"

My brother is in labor law and he heard from a colleague that if you sue your employer for giving you covid, they'll scrounge your social media

Any recent photo of you in public in the state of Florida is grounds for immediate dismissal. If you go there, the lawyer can argue you don't give a poo poo about getting covid

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

tokin opposition posted:

Lmao I'm on web 5.0, all my posts are monitized using subliminal messaging to buy taco bell.

i knew there was a reason i want a black bean crunchwrap rn

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

Shame Boy posted:

Honestly looping all the way back around to the late 90's early 2000's idea that online shopping will be done in inconvenient goofy 3D stores is pretty lmao.

That fuckin' lady that pops up though, that's definitely something stores want in real life and that we've had to sorta integrate around. Not a stupid AI assistant that knows everything about your IoT house yet, but we've def had to integrate this system where you can conference in people from different departments (or even different stores) if the customer has questions. Which I mean, I don't know, people who work in retail: would this be nice to have? Being able to dump a customer off onto someone else seems like a feature retail workers would appreciate. I guess as long as it's reasonably distributed and it's not like everyone from all 400 stores are all calling Jerry because Jerry Knows Phones? :shrug:

considering big box stores used to have knowledgeable salespeople that were actually helpful, but they left after they went from commission sales jobs to $9/hr retail hell jobs, i'm absolutely certain Jerry Knows Phones would be taking calls from all 400 stores at the same time

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

Shame Boy posted:

Like I think I mentioned it but I receive random crazy spam from a few people in my city every time the city council talks about funding light rail or anything besides roads, where they go on and on about how OUT OF TOUCH city hall is because OBVIOUSLY the ONE THING citizens want transportation funding to go to is MORE AND BETTER ROADS!!! How can we POSSIBLY think about funding some DUMB THING NOBODY WOULD USE when I SAW A POTHOLE JUST THE OTHER DAY!!!

It's never seen as a service they would actually use, or even a service that would remove other drivers from the road and thus make their own stupid car commute faster and better, it's always just a waste of money and hosed-up priorities because the roads have problems and we should focus all our effort onto fixing those problems before even thinking about "luxuries" like light rail.

To add another layer on top of this: this intense navel gazing is actively rewarded by literally every aspect of our culture & political system because it makes people more pliant consumers

The problems that can't be ignored, pushed back to be the next administrations problem, shot, or shouted down at a city council meeting (ex. COVID) have an added bonus of making everyone slowly even more insane

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

Beartaco posted:

All the joys of running a business without any of the stress of having to own or profit from it. Is this a common thing? Buy a business, hire someone else to entirely run it for you?

this is called being a restaurant owner

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

If you don't max out your company per diem by buying what you need and giving the rest to the staff as a tip, you're a cop

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

ArmZ posted:

Bezos would own slaves if he could

Why would he do that? If you own people, you actually have a responsibility to clothe and feed them.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

The development of Superman over the last century is a metaphor of Zionism if you think about it

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

BonHair posted:

The only way this makes any sense is if there's an implicit "you can run a drug lab on our equipment".

I know it's "you'll be paid in experience", but that doesn't really make sense

"You'll be paid in experience"
(Candidates for this position must already have experience)

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

Ruzihm posted:

applebees

That's weird, my job is having more applicants than ever because we're staying WFH and other people are Opening Biden. I even have people taking paycuts telling me they'll actually be saving money with how stupid gas is rn

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

Also lmao at the intersection of "now that everything's getting worse, people will be crawling back to the jobs they ran away from" and "you need to promote a positive work culture to keep people happy :)"

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

30.5 Days posted:

If I remember properly (probably don't) there's been a big push over the last decade to be like "well as long as one employee can hypothetically talk to another about a union in some way, perhaps, then you aren't banning organizing"

this is why we need to get all those smiling faces back to the office, so they can only speak in supervised locations

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

shrike82 posted:

there's a cottage industry of resume fixers (there's one here on SA who posted banner ads for a while)

i don't think faking up bullet points really helps

the main benefit people get from re-doing their CV is usually from just having it look "normal" with proper formatting, no typos etc

1) polishing bullet points actually does help. it shows that you're smart enough to do the dance and that you have soft skills that don't show up in a resume otherwise
2) i liken interviewing to dating and both have multi-billion dollar industries centered around "please be normal". saying "make your resume normal and you'll get a job" is a degree or two away from "make a bunch of money by investing well" without someone to tell you exactly what "normal" is

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

Shame Boy posted:

Don't put a bunch of zelda pictures on it no matter how cool you think zelda is.

There, you've just bested the worst interviewee I've ever had to interview so you're already a step up.

My worst interviewee showed up 14 minutes late as I was packing myself up, congratulated himself on showing up at all, then started asking me what it would take to get fired from the position

Don't ask that during an interview!!!

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

shrike82 posted:

the analogy with dating is true in that there's a weird bubble of self-help pseudo-science on how you'll be able to improve your profile or CV by doing X

Here's like 90% of my resume help condensed into one post:

1) use a free template online. your resume needs to look like it was made this decade
2) have an active verb be the first word of each of your bullet points
3) use as many numbers as possible
4) show, don't tell
5) you don't give a poo poo about what you did more than 3 years ago, so why should anyone else?

Edit: special one: don't tell me you have a great attention to detail then misspell words/have grammatical errors on your resume

Business Gorillas has issued a correction as of 18:58 on Apr 10, 2022

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

indigi posted:

how do you show on a resume, do you mean including animated gifs

It depends but a good example would be instead of saying "I'm good at my job" on your resume, you should say "I exceeded X Y & Z metrics". The latter tells me you were good at your job without you explicitly saying it

Same with the attention to detail thing. Don't tell me you have it, show it by having a really slick resume that you cared enough to run through spellcheck

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

shrike82 posted:

the non formatting stuff you mention is the vague subjective BS I’m talking about

it might work for you but there are other hiring managers who’d give the exact opposite advice

The interview : dating metaphor holds up here too because asking a hiring manager for resume advice is about as useful as asking them for relationship advice (and by that I mean should do both in an interview)

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

You laugh, but I recently got a resume that listed running a Discord server for 20+ people and streaming on Twitch to 30+ concurrent viewers.

best one i ever got was an "Independent Online Model" :thunk:

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

I still have the best (worst) resume I've ever been handedin hospitality, it was laminated and handed to me by a guy i recognised from when he used to wander around nightclubs doing close up magic and reading tarot to people for tips

Lol if you don't schedule an interview with this guy just to talk to him

I've done this before and actually gotten solid people out of it

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

My worst interview ever was at a staffing company who told me that they had 50 people quit in my position in the past year. I asked them why that happened and they said "because they sucked"

I didn't want or get a callback from that one

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

BonHair posted:

"Most of" is kinda standing out there...

And it's cultural baggage at this point, there are no Jews in agriculture because there is no kind of tradition for agriculture in European Jewish communities, because how could there be when they literally weren't allowed to have one.

Gentiles really don't like it when I point out that the reason "All Jews are moneylenders" is a stereotype is because they were literally forbidden from doing every other job lmao

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

Give me an overwatch character that's a gay baby with a minigun in a wheelchair

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

Panfilo posted:

:psyduck:
Is this some crab in a bucket situation? The servers want tips back, because it gives them more control over how they get distributed to the rest of the staff? Maybe one server who made bank sucking up to rich people made a huge stink to the paper about it since they would get slightly less in exchange for most of them getting significantly more? What the gently caress is going on here?
https://twitter.com/beckhopkinswine/status/1552628423381487616?t=t2_2cD4MvbAxA81_wRgPWg&s=19

Stripper math + a scab being signal boosted because their beliefs are in line with capital

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

Panfilo posted:

Stripper math lol. There's a new word for me. How is it a scab thing when they are threatening to unionize to bring tips back? :psyduck:

I can go only off the tweet because it's paywalled and I have no context for the actual article lol

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

When I get shot in the stomach during the Gamer Wars and bleed out, I want my last visions on this earth to be the Regal Cinemas Coca Cola Roller Coaster when the DMT kicks in

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

For months I thought this was that inbred Kennedy that ate poo poo in that senate election and was wondering why he got cool

Turns out it's Kennerly, folks

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

Jazerus posted:

the ancient greeks were colorblind, non-sentient, and held the form of a spider

no further questions

Guess not much has changed since then

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009