Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

taking the whole boot without gagging is impressive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Elderbean posted:

Don't ever respect a libertarian, constantly remind them that they're retarded. They're some of the most gullible people on earth. Do we have a "libertarians are dumb" thread because we should. The last time I spoke to one I had to explain basic chemistry to him because he kept going on and on about fluoride.

It's never surprising to me when a Libertarian Island Man goes full Nazi.

Libertarians are kissing cousins to fascists. They believe strongly that the only legitimate organs of the state are the police and military which exist to enforce private property rights (the most important rights).

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Elderbean posted:

The thing about libertarianism is that is starts with reasonable claims like "the government should stay out of our private lives" and "the government serves corporations" but then if you let them talk enough it becomes "the police should only solve murders if the victims family pays them" and "companies should be allowed to put glass in food because the free market will sort it out." They acknowledge that these huge companies are robbing us blind but in their magical imagination they would all be benevolent if laws didn't exist because FREE MARKET.

"Let's get rid of professional licences because rational actors will know not to go back to the 'doctor' who killed the one kid with quack treatments when the other kid gets sick. The Market will sort itself out."

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Elderbean posted:

Yeah libertarians have a very high opinion of the average consumer, you'd have to in order to make these dumbass "everyone will vote with their money" arguments. I have no faith in the average consumer.

Moreover under an ideal capitalist world where everyone is beholden to The Dollar, how is the platonic ideal rational sophisticated Consumer gonna get accurate information? There's already a strong element of "pay to play" where bad reviews get buried on stuff like Yelp and the BBB. I have no doubt in your ideal libertarian society Dr. Nick's serial malpractice is only gonna be as visible to someone doctor shopping as his reluctance to pay kickbacks to DoctorbReview.com.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Perry Mason Jar posted:

The capitalism.png is above you.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Former DILF posted:

get a credit union

e: for real get a credit union if you dont already got one. this is not a message to the quoted poster, this is a message to everybody who doesn't have a credit union

ditch your bank motherfuckers

Thirded. My former bank actually had to settle a class action for deliberately re-arranging transactions to maximize overdraft fees. I've even heard of banks that charge three figure overdraft fees which is insane , to me.

I think my CU charges like $27 for overdrafts. I don't really pay any recurring or service fees for anything as long as I keep my direct deposit going to my checking.

Join your local credit union and tell your bank to suck an egg.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Tetracube posted:

lol imagine being a historian 100 years in the future and studying the 2010s

Sorry, can't suspend my disbelief for a scenario where there's organized human society in a hundred years.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

qkkl posted:

ruthlessness without intelligence wealth leads to prison.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

https://twitter.com/commiegirl1/status/1040644653479997442

overlord bezos thanks you for the spit-clean boots, uh... commiegirl1

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

https://twitter.com/WalkerBragman/status/1041797176609914887

Does this count as content?

I feel like this should absolutely count.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Um guys the thread is capitalism.png not capitalism.txt

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

keyboard_goo.png

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

https://twitter.com/daveanthony/status/1043180685001809920

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Pirate Radar posted:

the joke has been done before but what will the Space Force’s lower enlisted do for stupid makework tasks?

Dibs on being the bored NCO leaning into a bad powerpoint presentation to read aloud the bullets on Airlock Safety after a couple E-2 Spacemen Second Class eat vacuum horsing around in an airlock.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Memento posted:

Cross postin'
Admin got in on a pen promotion with Sly?

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

https://twitter.com/APCentralRegion/status/1044286242421174273

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

I remember years ago watching Bowling for Columbine and they follow some recruiters who outright say the suburban mall is always bust, let's hit up the one downtown.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

https://twitter.com/nowthisnews/status/1052794654771433472

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Lambert posted:

Act like a normal person instead of a weirdo right-winger/goon and go around it.

not wanting "disruptive" rental scooters deployed by rentseeking tech dipshits without any oversight, regulatory compliance, staff, or infrastructure support to keep them from garbaging up sidewalks and blocking wheelchair access is a "right wing" position now. cool, cool.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Shame Boy posted:

Yes that's obvious, hence why I posted it in the capitalism pictures thread, I'm more :confused: about the fact that this physical artifact is in my house, since I know she didn't buy it. Where did it even come from? What kind of tiny flag pole am I even supposed to fly my tiny gay xbox flag from?

one with the wrong kind of ram

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

I forget where I read it but there was a sci fi author decades ago who posited a future where the only way to live as a working class person was subsidized by ads every waking moment. On the walls of your apartment, piped in through speakers while you shower, playing on the alarm that wakes you up etc etc etc, just hammering at you.

People who clawed their way up to lower middle class could afford the luxury of bare walls and quiet showers.

Prescient.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Unironically my favorite episode.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

I got my kids the newest Nintendo, the console reputed to be the safest and most kid friendly one, and it' serves them a steady stream of ads for more games to buy by default and I don't think there's a way to turn it off.

I could just take it off the wifi but that would cripple a lot of their games.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

They watched the "nintendo news" for smash bros ultimate so much they would sing the theme song in the car

i mean i'm going to get the new smash anyway whenever it comes out on a new platform so it's whatever, but still

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

I use an old Sony projector hooked up to a surround system and my computer. poo poo's cash.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Strom Thermos posted:

sorry honey, I could only afford the handgun insert.

I saw one of these armored backpacks demonstrated on local news the other day and the pitchman said it was "rated level IIIA" without explaing that that meant and proceded to show its effacacy with a suppressed MP5. I couldn't help but think they chose that over an actual pistol because scared parents who arent gunhaver dorks could reasonably mistake a pistol caliber SMG for an AR-15 and think it was rifle rated.

Like the whole thing is obviously absurd at every possible level but how capitalism.mp4 cherry on top is it to trick them into thinking their kids are protected from The Scary Gun when they aren't?

Owlbear Camus has issued a correction as of 16:36 on Aug 19, 2019

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Shame Boy posted:

They wouldn't be protected from The Scary Gun even if they had level IV ballistic steel plate because a backpack is not body armor and you'd have to train your kid to like, try and find their backpack that's probably on the floor or somewhere and then get in a position where they can hide their entire body behind it during an active shooter situation instead of like, using the 5 or so seconds that wasted to do literally anything else more productive. And then you've got your kid in a position where even if the best option is running away, they'll psychologically want to stay put behind their magic backpack because it's "safe" or whatever.

e: I mean I think you already know all this, I just wanted to bitch :v:

Oh yeah I agree the whole thing is absurd at every level but the cherry on top is even if everything works out PERFECTLY the kid still doesn't have the correct level of protection from the gun everyone is most scared of, and they seem to be deceptively selling it like they would be.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Does this come in a chidrens medium?

https://www.med-eng.com/products/personalprotectiveequipment/medengeodiedd/eod10suithelmet.aspx

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Look the solution is simple.

https://www.nbcwashington.com/investigations/Navy-SEAL-K-9-School-Shooting-Demonstration-540156181.html

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Shame Boy posted:

Really buried the lede of "dog cloning" deep in that article

Freeborn Inner Sphere canines aren't up to the challenge. Clan Jade Falcon bids 50 Truborn Doggos for the pacification of Terra's juvenile indoctrination centers.

Sorry for the deep cut tabletop game reference.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Ebola Roulette posted:

What exactly is supposed to go on the tortillas? :confused:

Dry, crushed ramen.

Google "jailhouse burrito" and weep.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Heartcatch posted:

Steal from your company at all times. Claim things were lost in a natural disaster.

Not only is this a moral obligation, it's a victimless crime. If poo poo gets bad enough all that poo poo is gonna be written off anyway.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

I'm the reduction of a potentially recognizable and even interesting character to a simple dead-eyed ovoid thing designed solely to be a disposable consumer item communicating "I Have Consumed, Because I Like/Remember Thing."

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Inceltown posted:

You're in the capitalism.png thread asking why a gimmick photo booth thing is being mocked. Sure it's a well done gimmick but that doesn't change the fact it is one.

It is kind of neat how it seems to do flawless real time keying without a chroma matte.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Aidan_702 posted:

yeah it’s this - it’s doing nothing particularly more strenuous than, say, overlaying a transparent.png logo over live video

I thought one of thd "players" put his arm behind the fans?

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

The one time I hired cleaners I made it as clear as I could possibly be before they showed up that I had let my place go entirely for months (brain problems after my dad passed) and was overwhelmed by the fact that it was a fetid goon den where i lived like a burrowing animal amidst trash and too paralyzed to start anywhere and willing to pay to get it fixed. I was incredibly explicit. And still when I got there it was like the dudes thought I was joking with how I initially described it and they increased the estimate a great deal (fine, I was astonished that the scope of the work I'd described had such a low intiial estimate) and just made me feel like complete poo poo in how they acted about it (less fine, I was completely up front about what I needed done and why).

I don't know if there's a special kind of cleaners that deal in actual filth and squallor, from what I can tell most of them seem to be geared for upper middle class people to get their mirrors shined, davenports dusted, and dorknobs polished in otherwise clean house.

Anyway that's my "hiring cleaners" story.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Spazzle posted:

I believe there are also teams that clean up dwellings after hoarders die.

If I'd only given in and topped myself I could have saved several hundo by making it someone else's problem.

How stupid are we, folks, that we paid for it ourselves?

No pentagon made out of Jack bottles to go with it?

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

It's always been interesting to me that as sanitized and euphemistic as language has gotten to paper over class divides, the term is still "landlord."

I guess people like the pretension of nobility.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

https://twitter.com/TheGr8Aspie/status/1173298823034232834