Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Megillah Gorilla posted:

I always found it bizarre insane when Palin went on about death panels somehow being a function of universal healthcare.

I mean, isn't that just exactly how it is in the US now?

Yeah but that’s market forces making economic decisions based on rationality.

Let the government do it and all the sudden you have bureaucrats making economic decisions based on politics.

I think it’s pretty clear why option 2 is worse. (Bureaucrats)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Eat This Glob posted:

I was a bag boy in high school. I also brought the groceries to their car and loaded the car for them. I had just two regulars that tipped me a buck, and it was a minimum wage job. If you're spending a dollar in america, you expect to be treated like a golden god. I always tipped when I moved back to town because it always made my day when i got one.

I always notice when I go to Aldi's the checkers are seated and i bag my own poo poo. It just isnt a "normal" thing in most american grocery stores (though I havent seen "full service," bring the groceries to your car anywhere other than the state I grew up in, though. it could be fairly common, but I dont do a ton of grocery shopping around the country)

lol true

I was also a bag boy for a bit. The grocery store I worked for put up signs reminding customers not to tip us.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Captain Billy Pissboy posted:

That's probably illegal but good luck hiring a lawyer to sue for it

Had this happen to me a few years ago. The place was really desirable but the guy told me there were two applicants in front of me and offered to take my application and $35 check anyway saying don’t worry I’ll only cash it if I run your application. Three days later he leaves a voicemail telling me I had insufficient rental history but neither my then current landlord nor the friend I had pretending to be my previous landlord (had lost the old landlord’s contact info) ever heard from him. Ultimately wasn’t worth figuring out what to do over $35 bucks but I was loving annoyed.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Subjunctive posted:

it’s just surprising that leasing terms got better for students!

They probably just price out a years lease over eight months and make believe that they’re giving better terms

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Inceltown posted:

Not a lot of living people get a funeral though.

I mean eventually they do

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

CommonShore posted:

To me the really funny thing about the scalping is that a) the easiest way to punish the scalpers is to simply wait and go without the thing for a short period of time, and b) every time one of these consoles launches the first production runs are poo poo anyway and they break all of the time.

There probably aren't even any loving games for the thing right now.

I don't know if it's true but my nephew told me the xbox was going to make sure all new games are backwards compatible to the older one for at least a year before transitioning to the new hardware exclusively. Which if true, what's the point?

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Oh huh didn't see this coming

https://twitter.com/freep/status/1334833344501182464

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Shame Boy posted:

https://twitter.com/melissastclair7/status/1334834477680496640

Everyone boycott just the companies that don't care about their employees, how many could that be, like 3? 4?

Also there are large parts of the country where if you're boycotting Walmart and Kroger you're probably not eating tonight

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Mill Village posted:

I’m really surprised they didn’t mention Albertsons. They basically followed what Kroger did when it came to hazard pay and bonuses. This week we got a bonus of $100 for part timers and $200 for full timers for our hard work from May to November. Its laughable compared to what other companies have paid their employees.

Does that basically work out to about one hour of bonus pay per month? Because LMAO holy poo poo

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Thanatosian posted:

Oregon full-on legalized shrooms, didn't just decriminalize.

Only is very controlled settings though. Not recreational sadly.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

SpacePig posted:

I'm not well informed about international stuff, when did Bolivians fight to keep a fascist in power?

e: oh, right, the Morales stuff. I honestly don't know enough about that to make a judgement on it, but from what little I read in the last few minutes, I'd say an instance with what seems like credible accusations of manipulation and someone running for an unconstitutional term is a different thing than this.

I recommend reading up on it. The accusations were about as credible as Trump’s accusations in Pennsylvania and Georgia (funny how it’s only a problem in some cases) and like it or not term limit laws can be changed and it’s not tyranny (remember when Lil’ mike had NYC change theirs?).

Plus like ToxicAcne said the aftermath made pretty clear what the point was

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Main Paineframe posted:

the federal eviction moratorium is opt-in. to be covered, you have to give the landlord a letter saying you want to be covered under the moratorium. if you didn't know to do that, you're still evictable

also, it only blocks evictions for non-payment of rent. landlords can still evict people for any other legal reason, such as lease violations or lease expiration

My state created a tenant assistance program where the state will pay 80% of the back rent if the landlord agrees to forgive the other 20%. Not sure how effective it will be I don’t think it’s started up yet. I only mention it because this choice quote

quote:

Jason Miller, the legislative director for the Oregon Rental Housing Association, told KOIN 6 News small landlords don’t often have the spare cash to cover expenses like mortgage, taxes, insurance and maintenance costs — and might not be able to sustain a 20% loss.

“In today’s session at testimony, Representative Meek said it well,” Miller said. “No other essential service has been asked to forgive 20% of their income in order to provide their essential service to Oregonians. “

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Len posted:

But wait, isn't 80% from the state better than 0% from an unemployed person?

Yeah, but the landlord has to forgive that whole 20%. Whereas if they opt not to take the rental assistance they can get a judgement from the tenant for the full amount. A judgment that will never actually be paid, sure. But :shrug:

Landlords are shitheads

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Empress Brosephine posted:

Why do boomers hate renters and college kids so much

they can either come to terms with the fact that the world is different now than it was when they were young, or they can reframe contemporary circumstances as a moral failing. Have you ever seen a boomer capable of self reflection?

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

CharlestheHammer posted:

why do people seem to want to love celebrities. Gates isn’t even wacky I don’t get the appeal

It's part aspirational (people want to be that rich and famous), part marketing (he puts his face out there often enough that people develop a familiarity with him), and part positive media coverage (trusted institutions think he's a swell guy and I do too!).

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

indigi posted:

they should just pass a law that says Amazon isn’t allowed

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

I honestly thought it was dog-ee as a play on both “e-coin” and “doggy” but then I pronounced it once and was mercilessly mocked by a couple coworkers

Hopefully now you can avoid that indignity

I was corrected to doe-juh but I’m too afraid to say it out loud so who knows

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

spacetoaster posted:

About the only way I can imagine it ever happening is the stupid way the military was doing forced hydration in the 90's.

Flushing your entire body of electrolytes and shutting down your kidneys isn't healthy.

LMAO I was in the army between 2000 and 2004 and I remember this to this very day. "DRINK WATER!!!" "If your pee isn't clear you need to drink right now!" God just so much water drinking. A cult of water drinking.

Then when we were in Iraq convoying up to Baghdad the countryside was littered with bottles of water people would pee into and throw out the vehicle window. Just miles and miles of piss bottles lining the route we took north. Consuming bottled water and then peeing back into the bottle and tossing it out of the side of the humvee like some kind of super weird piss fetish version of Hansel and Gretel. Those bottles baked in the sun so they turned super dark yellow/brown and my sergeant would look at them deeply concerned that people clearly weren't drinking enough water and he would not listen to explanations that involved words like condensation

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Did they pick a five year old photo? Dudes hair is way thinner than that I’m pretty sure

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

bob dobbs is dead posted:

you can solve that one w money

Not that quick though? The owner of my work got hair plugs and they took a month or two to not look super weird although maybe he had a weird reaction or got cheap ones? I almost got fired cause I didn’t know what was up and I asked him how he got such a bad sunburn

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

indigi posted:

lol sounds like you have to be a real loving idiot to join the military

I don't know about anyone else's story but I was a nineteen year old guy stuck in a lovely swamp town in the middle of nowhere South Carolina. This was before 911 and forever war, too. It seemed appealing at the time. I hated every second of it and I've never felt proud of my time in Iraq, it would have been the right thing to do to refuse to go but I was a coward. I got super lucky too and popped a positive UA for cocaine right after we got back and got kicked out early like a couple months before my unit got stop-lossed for a second round in Iraq. It's funny because at the time I thought a general discharge from the Army would be a death sentence, but the only repercussion I've ever had from it is not getting the GI Bill. Nobody's ever asked to see my discharge paperwork lmao

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

This is very normal

https://www.npr.org/2021/02/09/965887446/s-c-gives-highest-civilian-honor-to-principal-who-got-a-walmart-job-to-help-stud

quote:

Darby took on a part-time job at Walmart, stocking shelves from 10 p.m. to 7 a.m., three nights every week. He's been using the paychecks from that work to help make sure kids from his school have food and basic supplies, or help their families pay their bills. Some money has also gone to former students who need help, or to teachers at his school who need a boost.

If everyone did a few third shifts stocking shelves for minimum wage we’d end childhood poverty in no time

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

pentyne posted:

I had a friend try to argue about the idea of "civic duty" with me and saying that its the responsibility of all citizens to step up and help everyone who's fallen behind like this.

When I pointed out that they're only "falling behind" because the state is a loving broken system that needs to be smashed his argument was "well since the govt won't do it we all should just volunteer our time and money instead to make things better"

Couldn't quite get him to understand that was the equivalent of putting a band-aid on a massive trauma wound and expecting it to work.

That’s the whole point of these things, trying to get individuals to see it as a personal moral responsibility instead of a collective failure

I have a lot of respect for someone who will sacrifice of themselves to help others. But it’s mind numbing that the government response was let’s give him a ribbon rather than holy poo poo this is embarrassing as gently caress

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

If it's 0°F outside I still have to walk my dog for 10-15 minutes so I can take 30 seconds to scrape my windshield and break the wipers free if I'm in a real hurry. There's always a solution that involves light labor.

I love watching people dump hot water on their windshields though, that's a treat.

Lmao I learned that one the hard way. It does not help. I think it’s a lesson you only need to learn once though

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

spacetoaster posted:

Do you plebes not have heated garages? :smuggo:

You have room for a car in your rubbage storage room?

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

The Nastier Nate posted:

A navy vet and a BP agent who has served his country for decades

Now gtfo

I’m not interested in pretending it isn’t loving rad as hell when horrible things happen to horrible people

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Dolphin posted:

I know but it's February, who the gently caress is still renovating their houses??

Isn’t there a single family home building boom happening? Any detached home in my area seems to seek within a week of going on the market these days

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

I sublet a room in a big house for a while years ago and I was getting ready to move and I knew she was gonna stiff me on my deposit mainly because two other people had moved out while I was there and shed stiffed both of them. I ended up just moving out at the end of the month without notice and not saying anything. Got a text on the fifth asking me if I was going to have rent and then on the sixth a whole bunch of profanity filled messages demanding I pay her for the month. I just told her to keep the deposit and she broke into a sob story about how it was Christmas and she wouldn’t be able to buy gifts and I’m like the deposit is a month’s rent you’re not out anything.

Anyway I saw the place on Craigslist for six months after that asking for first/last/deposit lmao. loving shitlords. My advice is never live in the same house as your landlord. That’s a lesson I only needed to learn once

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

SchnorkIes posted:

Wouldn't you just sue a tenant who skipped out on the lease and owed you money? It doesn't seem like a great strategy for the tenant unless you're penniless and the landlord couldn't get anything from you at all no matter what.

It was a month to month $400/month deal for a room in a big house. There wasn’t any paperwork (stupid for her and stupid for me but I was mid-20s). It was the kind of house that’s desirable because you want to live by all the bars and everyone involved, myself included, was the kind of idiot who made decisions based on that metric. She wasn’t going to sue me and like mentioned the deposit covered the last month in full anyway.

That’s why it was so funny to see her try to get first/last/deposit. It just wasn’t the kind of place anyone interested in living in would or probably could float three months rent for move in

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Larry Parrish posted:

its why historically its mostly been peasants (as opposed to serfs or slaves) and other farmers that have surplus food having like 12 kids, because it only makes sense when you have an excess of food

Are you sure this is accurate? I thought it had more to do with stuff like effective birth control more than anything else?

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Larry Parrish posted:

thats part of it but its not that easy to get knocked up lol. you don't accidentally have a big family even with no birth control

I mean how hard it is really varies between individuals and anyway children were pretty cheap until recent history. I’m hardly an expert and I’m fascinated to know more but I’m skeptical of widespread effective family planning in pre-modern societies

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

PostNouveau posted:

I do this all the time highly recommend

lmao my employer had IT put a little time stamp thingy on outlook a while back that displayed when the email was actually sent if it was set to go off later

that was a few years ago though so maybe it's stopped being the case I should test it out

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Hi gay, I’m your dad

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Dustcat posted:

tbf humans having to excrete is a new problem that only arose in the last few years, so you can't expect the world's largest corporations to have come up with perfect solutions for it yet

I had the misfortune to be part of the invasion of Iraq back in 2003 and one of my lasting memories is rolling up a highway towards Baghdad and the side of the road was littered with endless water bottles filled with piss, just discarded from passing vehicles and slowly baking in the sun turning deep brown in color

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

blatman posted:

at first glance it does appear to be huge, but I measured the width of my belt (about 1.5 inches) and the length of one of the eggs in my fridge (about 2 inches) and roughly compared the amount of egg in the image that overlaps the top and bottom of his belt (about half an inch) and then realized not only does it seem to check out, but I also really need to value my time more

while I certainly value my time too much to do that, I think it was a perfect use of yours

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Spatial posted:

Yeah, lol at building a space colony down a loving gravity well.

In terms of accessibility and practicality this is roughly the Earth equivalent of building a floating city in the sky and having the only way to access it be free-climbing up a 1km long rope with no knots in it.

Gym teachers have spent years looking for a justification as effective as “you use algebra every day when you go to the grocery store” and if we can give it to them then don’t we have an obligation to do so?

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Peanut President posted:

im a vegetarian can i be smug

I mean otherwise what’s the loving point?

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

food stamp rules are loving bonkers that way. For example you can grab one of those precooked rotisserie chickens if you want as long as it got cold and old first. Anything hot is just right out. but also better hope the grocery store or wherever has a different sku for the cold/old ones or their register might not let you pay for it with ebt lmao

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

George H.W. oval office posted:

Isn’t any woman that’s pregnant or with small children eligible for WIC? Why is it a shame if you use it if it’s just to help supplement all women? Seems dumb NOT to use it

No. It’s a means tested program

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

steinrokkan posted:

Is Sltd Bm Btr loving salted butter?

Slotted Bum Beater

used to enforce the bathrooms for paying customers rule