Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
Grabbed this today with the 50% sale on Steam and put a few hours into it. It seems decently promising; I think the starting quest is just about the right amount of hand-holding to get you introduced to the world and the mechanics. It runs fine on my PC, and the environments and creatures are neat to explore, at least at first.

The inventory system could be better, but it's not the worst that I've seen. Doing stuff like using the refinery seems to take way too many button presses to turn Thing X into Thing Y. At least transferring materials between your suit and your ship (and, I hope, eventually base storage) is quick and easy.

One thing I'm wondering is how many levels deep the more advanced crafting goes. Like, one of the worst things in a game with crafting is when a Tier 4 widget requires several Tier 3 widgets that each require several Tier 2 which is made from Tier 1... so in order to make a single Hyper Turbo-encabulator you basically have to spend five minutes re-enacting the industrial revolution starting from a huge pile of ore and twigs. Without some way to automatically build the intermediate parts as long as you have all the raw materials that gets tedious real quick. I'm already getting a little leery when the game says "oh you have to refine this basic carbon into special carbon in order to make this thing".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
Oh boy, I sure do love combining obtuse, difficult save mechanics with the chance to randomly crash after 20 minutes of exploration. :(

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
Does the... I think it's the Phase Beam, the ship upgrade that says it helps with mining, does that actually have any benefits over blasting asteroids with your photon cannon? Like more metal returned or anything? Otherwise I'm not really seeing the use, it just overheats instantly.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Powershift posted:

I may be wrong here, but what the game offers you is what you have plus a certain amount, so say it's +5 or whatever, if you have 10 slots, it will only offer as high as 15, if you have 13 it will only offer as high as 18 and so on, so you have to get up to 24 slots in steps.

I went from my starting multitool to one with like 20 slots, after only discovering two or three systems. What gets offered seems to be fairly random.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
God, the way ships are managed is really dogshit. What's the best method to swap out a salvaged junker for someone else's ship in a space station? The only way I managed it so far was to summon one at my base to make it my "primary" ship, then take the teleporter to a station where I conveniently found a ship that I wanted and was able to trade it. Is there really no way to just use another ship in your inventory for a trade?

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

shortspecialbus posted:

The sentinels can gently caress right off.

I'm really mystified by sentinels as a game mechanic. It seems like they're there to provide an "enemy" and allow for combat, but there's no way to win against them. Kill one and more, stronger ones just immediately teleport in, forever. It would make sense if you had to clear out sentinels that were guarding an especially valuable thingamabob, but there's no way to do that. They just permanently block off your ability to operate in certain areas. And yes, it was great to discover that they can phase straight through a mountain, so you can't even dig a tunnel to hide in.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Azhais posted:

can't climb

Yeah I thought that too until they started warping to the top of the rock tower that I built in order to try and snipe them.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Burns posted:

Another bug. The little puzzles at transmission towers are always the same
Abandoned bases always have the same line of dialogue.

It's like some janky version of Poe's Law where it's not really clear what's a bug and what's just poor design choices. Like I can't tell when the ship management mechanics are glitching out or when that's just how it's genuinely intended to work.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

ToastyPotato posted:

I dunno that it increases the value. I've read that people just use those junkers as trade for better ships. Since that is cheaper and quicker than clearing all the slots.

On one of the occasions when several of my ships deigned to appear on my freighter, scanning both my functional and broken ships seemed to show roughly the same value for all of them, in the 900k range. So if it does make a difference, it's probably very minimal, certainly not worth the time and mats to fix the broken slots.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Man the randomness of S-rank modules is kinda annoying. I just found the third S-rank life support I’d need but it’s bonuses so kinda weak compared to my first one. These are my 3 “S” modules (life support tank / solar power):
118/28
68/38
56/35

I may just reload and skip the one I just found and keep on searching for a better one. Either set the nanite price base on module bonus or let us see the bonuses when purchasing. Taking a blind guess is stupid.

I love the fact that an S-class module for the scatter gun gives a 1% damage boost, in addition to a few others like a modest magazine increase.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

And yet it still only does 600 damage a hit on enemy ships, so either the baseline phase cannon does 10 damage a pop, or something is hosed up with the displayed % or the calculation.

Also, something is getting hosed up in the ship procedural generation algorithm:

(the one on the right isn't bigger, it was flying off)

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
Are the mats to repair a drop pod exosuit mod the same for every pod? It seems like the last few I've found have been consistently the same three fixes; one antimatter, 55 ionized cobalt, and some chromatic metal and... oxygen, I think, something common like that. I've just been carrying around a stack of cobalt and that usually lets me fix any drop pod I find on the spot.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
Oh my god, in the continuing saga of "gently caress sentinels forever", I was killing a few for a mission. Get up to alert level 3, run away until the "searching" countdown comes up. Dig a deep tunnel and hide. Sentinels arrive and reset the timer. Try again, dig a tunnel and seal the entrance. Sentinels arrive and reset the timer and warp into the chamber to shoot me. Next I just keep running while the timer counts down. Before it runs out, a group of sentinels spawn right in front of me and reset the timer. To actually get the timer to drop, you have to play this Goldilocks "just far enough" bullshit where you stay far enough away that they don't detect you, but not too far so that they spawn in on top of you.

Also, I discovered that while you can't transfer materials directly from your freighter to your exosuit, you can transfer them to a storage cube, which you can then move to your suit. Hooray for extraneous button pressing! :downs:

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

GokuGoesSSJ3 posted:

What do you want to look for when you're building a base? I've just been exploring and haven't touched that part at all but I'm wondering like what kinds of resources do you want close at hand and things like that. Someone a bit ago posted they have multiple bases on different planets for farming, but why? What is good to grow?

Someone mentioned building a main base near a trading post, which seems like a great idea for access to a trade terminal and ships. I just put mine on the first planet I could find that had nice weather and sentinels that weren't dicks.

I've started plopping down a base computer + teleporter on various planets with convenient access to different metal deposits. You can name the planet/base things like "Cobalt Depot" or "Nuke Planet" for ease of reference. Makes it easy to pop over to replenish stocks when they get low.

e:

Airspace posted:

Yeah I just ran in here to post this, only replace 'killing a few for a mission' with 'mined one rock on an airless planet'. Every time I try to escape a few more spawn right on top of me. I get in my ship and leave, only for the 'hello ships are coming to destroy you' popup to happen.

Hopping in your ship and flying around at low level (not going into space) seems like a pretty failsafe way to run out the timer. Once you leave the ground it doesn't seem to spawn in any more ground-based sentinels.

Wingnut Ninja fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Jul 29, 2018

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Ciaphas posted:

Also what kind of space station do I have to go to to get a freaking guy to man my Exocraft terminal? It's been like six jumps :mad:

Check the galaxy map from your ship; when I was looking for a farmer it highlighted the system that had one. Not sure if it works for all of the techs you recruit, I found my Exocraft guy just randomly chatting up Vrykul on a trading post.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
So speaking of making mining depot bases, I found a moon that's basically nothing but cadmium deposits with a light dusting of LSD everywhere...

:catdrugs:

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

explosivo posted:

Sorry if it's come up already but buying heat protection from the vendor in a space station seems to be busted? I go to install a heat protection module and it turns into a cold module every time :saddowns:

Well, I got given a module that said it was cold protection and turned into heat protection when I installed it, so maybe try getting one of those? I don't know if it was because I already had a cold module or if it was just the game being buggy but it worked out in my favor.

e: also, just want to say holy poo poo, Nada (the Korvax in the Anomaly Sphere) just gave me 2700 nanites out of the blue. I went to turn in the latest quest for Polo, and when they weren't talking to me I went to Nada and they asked something about what kind of aid I wanted; I asked for a shortcut to the center of the galaxy, so they marked a black hole on my map and then randomly were like "oh also here's a shitload of nanites".

It's kind of weird since until I get a better ship or multitool I'm kind of running out of useful things to spend nanites on. I'm just banking them now so I can bling out a really good multitool if I ever find one.

Wingnut Ninja fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Jul 29, 2018

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
Okay, either I'm an idiot or the implementation of exocraft is beyond loving stupid.

I finally get the blueprints to build a loving car after like 25 hours into the game. So I build the pad and get my rover and do a bunch of quests with the terminal tech to get all the upgrades for it (which, a few bugs aside, was mostly mats I had on hand anyway). But apparently while there's a "summon exocraft" quick menu option, it only works if you're already within a relatively short range of it, and you can't summon it on another planet. So you can only drive the goddamn things in the vicinity of where you built the pad, which is not cheap and is not portable. So in this game where you are required and encouraged to fly all across the galaxy visiting a multitude of different star systems, the ground transport is effectively tied to a small radius around a single point on a single planet? I was kind of assuming/hoping that one of the upgrades you can get is a "summon me anywhere" module, but I seem to have gotten to the end of that chain without getting that.

Am I taking crazy pills here? Are exocraft really almost entirely useless?

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

victrix posted:

NMS UI in a nutshell

I'm still laughing at the apparent 'can't transfer from freighter, can transfer from freighter to base storage', hosed up if true

I should clarify that this was on a planetside base with a storage unit; you can transfer stuff directly from your freighter if you're in the freighter, but on the ground you have to go freighter -> storage -> exosuit.

juggalo baby coffin posted:

does anyone know where i can find some predatory animals to shoot? for most quests ive had the zerg guys who dont like you to touch their eggs count as whatever you need to kill, but now I need to kill specifically predators and the zerg aren't counting. I don't think i've ever been attacked by an animal in this game so far.

I just shoot the scariest looking animals I can find and it seems to work.

Lava Lamp Goddess posted:

And I'll keep asking till I get an answer: how do you unearth underground rare stuff without destroying it with your terrain manipulator?

For underground artifacts, you have to either find the nearby entrance to the cave that they're in, or tunnel down in the vicinity but not directly into the artifacts and walk over. That's the only type of item I've found that can get destroyed, the tech modules and the keys you find in buried ruins are indestructible.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Toast King posted:

If you've got some nanites to spare, I'm pretty sure you can just buy any cheap technology upgrade from a space station and dismantle it to get spare technology modules.

This also applies to random lovely upgrade modules you get as quest rewards - don't just sell them for the pittance that they go for, install them and immediately uninstall them to break them down into a tech module plus a pile of useful materials. Like you can have a C-class module that sells for 600 spacebucks, but break it down and suddenly the components are worth tens of thousands.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
Other sentinel note - has anyone else noticed that on planets with aggressive sentinels, the "searching" timer sometimes cuts out and cancels the alert early? Like it'll get down to 20 seconds and then quit. In which case if you're trying to knock out some sentinel killing missions, it's actually easier/faster to do it on an aggressive planet.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

IcePhoenix posted:

How do I get these I want them possibly more than anything.

Maybe it has something to do with ship type? I've got an Explorer type that doesn't have any additional thruster mods and it only takes 13% per launch.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Burns posted:

Guys is this a bug i have or by design: tech merchant inventories are the same everywhere i go. There are no new items popping up. I cannot find cold weather upgrades or anything else. This cant be right.

Try buying a hot weather mod and installing it. Sometimes they're not labeled correctly and it's actually a cold weather one.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

ToastyPotato posted:

Yeah I saw that and bookmarked it. But it doesn't go into any detail on what the bonuses are, just that this is the optimal way to do it. Like, what are the number difference between adjacent mods and non adjacent mods. Knowing can really make a difference when you are earlier in the game and can't do the optimal layout because you don't have the slots for it.

Knowing that would definitely help figuring out whether it's worth it to nuke a bunch of existing mods to reposition them. I just got a new bigass multitool that's in good order and I'm holding off installing anything else in my ship till I can find a nice one, but my exosuit is a hot mess.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Toast King posted:

You can also teleport between the last 4 or so stations you've visited.

ToastyPotato posted:

Aw there is a limit on saved space stations for TPs?

Just wanted to address this - I don't know if there's eventually a limit, but I've been able to choose from any of the 30-something systems I've visited. It only displays 4 or 5 at a time but you can cycle through the list with the shoulder buttons (or whatever the keyboard equivalent is).

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Azhais posted:

It's all the game's fault, I don't leave my grenades as my default right click, but since there's one button for everything every time I pick up my mobile scanner my secondary weapon changes

NMS: Hold X to tag.

Also NMS: LOL it was actually the land button you nub, enjoy wasting the thruster fuel.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
I'm currently hanging around trading posts trying to snag a good ship. I see plenty of good looking ones, and several with good stats, but nothing yet that's both good looking and good stats. I grabbed a pretty nice A-class fighter that I thought looked pretty good until I hopped in and realized that it's only got a wing on one side. It seems like the RNG is on a big asymmetry kick right now.

Stare-Out posted:

Screw the Freighter crap until they fix this.

Yeah I'm pretty much ignoring everything about the freighter for now. Plus it seems to induce crashes a lot more whenever I'm near it.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

theblackw0lf posted:

If I get a new multitool, I lose all of my module enhancements that are on my previous one right?

So since I don't have the formula to build them, as I just bought them outright, does that mean I need to buy them again?

Yes, unfortunately you can't transfer installed mods, but you can disassemble them before you trade out your old tool to get some resources and tech modules at least.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

The_Doctor posted:

You can build the terminal in a wooden shack.

Doesn't even need to be a full shack, I built one on just a single floor plate piece.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Solvency posted:

This isn't the terminal quests, this is actually the base quest, where you have to hire different aliens to come work for you. I believe their workstations only can be placed in the circular rooms.

It worked for the farm terminal at least. I built the others in circular rooms because I had the same assumption, but for the farm I was like "gently caress building a fourth one of these, does anything else work?"

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

drat Dirty Ape posted:

I know that putting upgrades next to things is better, but are they supposed to light up green? I have my analyzer surrounded by 2 upgrades and there is no 'green' around the border like there is with my mining laser and it's upgrade.

It's different colors depending on the specific module. Scanner upgrades are a white border.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Stare-Out posted:

You have learned the Vy'keen word for 'mating'

:stonk:

Milestone Reached. :wiggle:

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

precision posted:

I need some good podcast recommendations. I only listen to like 3 and I'm all caught up on those. Right now I'm listening to Steven Tyler being the world's biggest idiot on Joe Rogan and I feel like I could be listening to something way better.

Obviously I understand why but it really sucks that streaming on PS4 disables Spotify.

Stuff You Should Know was my main sustainer on a recent cross-country drive. It's basically Random Wikipedia Article: The Podcast and they have like a 1000+ episode back catalog that should get you to the center of the galaxy easily.

It's sometimes a little frustrating because the hosts have like zero actual expertise in anything, but it's good background nerd banter for mining rocks and scanning penis monsters.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Beastie posted:

Has anyone tried digging a tunnel to avoid the sentinels and closing it off?

Yes. They're liable to warp right through. Or, once, I somehow got teleported up to the surface instead.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Bloodplay it again posted:

Someone earlier in the thread said you can use middle mouse (no idea what the controller equivalent is)

Clicking the right stick, according to my tooltips.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Bruceski posted:

So this is where the game parks me when I teleport to base. How do I get a landing pad blueprint and will that fix it, or do I need to move everything?

Also, I'm a stormtrooper!

Building a landing pad doesn't stop your ship from spawning halfway inside random buildings.

It does, hilariously, sometimes prevent you from landing at your base because a random NPC ship decides to fly in and land at the pad instead.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Libluini posted:

Phase beams do good damage, but trying to aim the beams is like trying to wrangle space lances thousands of kilometers long. Even with pirate ships hurtling straight at me, I basically hit 1 times out of 4.

Phase beams have a relatively short effective range, less than photon cannons, so if you open up at the same range you would with photon cannons you'll whiff the first shots. Once they're in range they have a mild auto-targeting system that helps with aiming. If you just rapidly tap the fire button you can land a lot of hits without overheating.

I'll usually use phase beams when head-on and then switch to cannons when I turn around to chase them for the backstab bonus, which phase beams don't get.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

ToastyPotato posted:

Ships always seem to spawn in the same spot so when building a base you gotta spawn in and see where it puts the ship and plan around that.

Yeah my bright idea of "build a base around this cool-looking old ruin" is slightly marred by the fact that my ship always appears half embedded in the wall.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Penpal posted:

Unless you built a sprawling mega base why not just delete it, get your materials, and put the base computer in a different spot

:effort:

I'll probably move it at some point whenever I feel the urge to go on a big base-building spree.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

EC posted:

What does a dude have to do to get some vehicles? I thought the weapons guy was gonna give it to me but nope. Construction guy is telling me to find some she to start a farm with. I'm doing all of science guy's quests now.

There's a Vehicle Guy eventually, but prepare to be disappointed. You can't transport them between planets and the "summon exocraft" option only has a range of a couple hundred yards, so they're pretty much restricted to the vicinity of where you build the pad for them. The little hoverbike would be awesome if you could pack it into your ship and take it with you, but once you get a stack or two of uranium it's way easier to just fly your ship everywhere you want.

Bruceski posted:

Vry'keen ships have them, but not the ones who land at space stations, and maybe not the ones who land at trade outposts (I can't recall). Go to a Vry'keen system, build a landing pad, and wait for someone to use it.

They do sell them, but the RNG seems to become extremely averse to generating them when you're actually looking for them for the quest. I had better luck just bartering with everyone and eventually got a couple. An hour later I found a Vy'keen trader with a stack of like 20 of them.