Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

The Toona posts are missing the one where he states which classrooms and offices he and the study partner defiled.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

BigHead posted:

In a world where any trained gerbil can do your job, often the only thing separating one gerbil from the other is the way an interviewee connects with the interviewer. A GPA doesn't tell me whether you are or are not a stinky neckbeard who has a waifu pillow at home. I want to know if you run marathons or run a local chess club or build ornate cabnitery or whatever.

Also if you went HS -> undergrad -> law school with no work experience, it becomes a VERY short resume.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Ghosts?

While discussing whether you were required to disclose that a house was haunted, our property professor mentioned that his sister’s house was haunted. He said that you would be sitting in the house and it would feel like everything moved.

An older classmate, who had worked as a general contractor before law school, asked where she lived. After being told what part of town it was, she basically said that ya, the water table out there is so high that you can feel it rise and fall. Those houses never should have been built and she’s going to have foundation issues.

Last I heard the sister moved. And the houses there all have foundation issues.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Mr. Nice! posted:

Your property class must not have touched on Stambovsky v. Ackley yet.

Oh hey, that was the case that started the discussion. I couldn't remember the name and couldn't be bothered to search for it.

To be fair, this was 12 years ago, and I don't practice law, so I don't remember squat.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

GET MONEY posted:

Yes, I recognized that, but the “magic bullet” approach is appealing and it’s not clear whether it would fail in areas other than niche litigation. For example, from what I’ve heard, tax practice can be somewhat magic bullet-y. I’d like to know if there is anything else?

The only magic bullet is having a parent with their name on the letter head.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

GET MONEY posted:

Admiralty was considered but I figure it's too niche and also sometimes I get seasick. I could probably strike tax, personal injury, labor & employment, and insurance coverage too.

There’s good money in all of those areas. It just doesn’t involve representing the “good” side.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

GET MONEY posted:

No qualms there, "goodness" is relative -- those areas in particular just seemed more formulaic and less strategic after diving a bit deeper.

I can't wait to see you trapped in doc review hell.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Look Sir Droids posted:

Income tax was my most useful law school class. It was weirdly a required course.

One of the things our school definitely did right.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

The only fitting end to the Toona saga would be a job that didn’t require a JD in the 1st place.

Pulling for ya, bud.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Look Sir Droids posted:

It’s not really much of a mess.

It also has the best lightsaber duel of the series.

The Ewoks are dumb. The idea of a technologically inferior group beating he stormtroopers is fine, but the Ewoks are too inferior for it to be believable.

The original celebration scene was better, though, despite what nerds say. Even with the emporer dead the power structure of the empire wouldn’t collapse instantaneously. Therefore a local celebration would be the appropriate thing to show. Coruscant wouldn’t be celebrating. It would be ground zero for an immediate power struggle.

Also, Luke standing half in light and half in shadow while Vader figures out who Leia is, with the resultant beat down by Luke, is among my favorite movie scenes ever.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

For your sake I hope you're raking in cash, because drat that's a lot of billables.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Unless you are a 6'8" professional athlete three buttons is not for you

I own a 5 button suit.

I’d have to lose 50 lbs to fit in it again, though.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

uberkeyzer posted:

Unless you’re going to a funeral and it’s your funeral you shouldn’t wear a five button suit.

They were a thing in Italy around the turn of the century. I can’t bring myself to get rid of it.

Look Sir Droids posted:

How many buttons did you button?

Either the middle three or 2 and 3 depending on how the jacket sits. The top and bottom buttons are never done.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

mastershakeman posted:

Red light camera tickets are an affront to God and man and using paper on them is a crime against the world

Utah does a LOT of things wrong, but the state ban on red light cameras is not one of them.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

You nerds waste a lot of breath arguing over who will place 2nd to noted aviary attorney, Harvey Birdman.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

nm posted:

I am lucky as loving hell and easily could be as miserable as most of my FB law school friends are.

This is all you should need to know about becoming a lawyer. Most of them are miserable. Every year more of my law school friends abandon lawyering for anything else.

I think the smartest one of them was JesustheDarkLord (fellow goon). He married a doctor and is a stay-at-home parent now.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

blarzgh posted:

And let me tell you what a poo poo show THAT is, lol

Stories?

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Soothing Vapors posted:

do they piss test you before you can become an IRS drone or is that just a DOJ thing

It’s been 9 years since I started but I think the answer is still no.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

sincx posted:

edit: my legal training has been tremendously useful in helping my parents with many aspects of the business, of course, and will continue to be helpful if I were to join full-time. But still it seems like such a waste to stop practicing law after all I've been through.

Just treat your new job as the retainer for your legal expertise.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Get a 2nd masters. You’re in DC, so maybe an MPA? Couldn’t hurt.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Every time I visit my parents in Memphis we hit up Gus’s and Central.

Also the downtown Huey’s because it was right across the street from where I worked, so I’d go there all the time. And also Abner’s, because who doesn’t want to eat 8 chicken tenders and a single piece of garlic bread for lunch? And also some Mexican place on Poplar, and the Chinese place my dad likes.

I gain a lot of weight every time I visit Memphis.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Look Sir Droids posted:

Have you been to Elwoods Shack? Highly recommend.

I haven't; I'll put it on the list for the next time I'm in town.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Kawasaki Nun posted:

Wow gently caress Utah

What did my state do this time?

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

SlyFrog posted:

Witcher game is hyper overrated I am currently looking for my waifu in Stardew Valley fight me.

Penny every time.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Mr. Nice! posted:

It was an unconfirmed account translating an Italian account, but if correct 27 of Italy's prisons are currently under prisoner control.

Got a link? My Italian is pretty rusty but still.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Vox Nihili posted:

Be that as it may, almost everyone else here with the notable exception of Toona is also a lawyer.

I thought Toona got his license for a promotion, but still isn’t technically practicing law.

Also, he boned a law student on school grounds. I don’t know what it counts for, but it’s got to count for something.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

That's why you build up a reliable study group over time & multiple semesters, so you know that when you get the outline, it'll be solid.

That’s great and all, but since your 1L fall grades are the most important, it’s back to being a bit of a crap shoot.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Mine are 15 and 13 and I still review their YouTube usage religiously. Especially the 15 year old. The “this is why you aren’t allowed to watch PewDiePie” discussion was rough.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Arcturas posted:

But he's probably already hosed something fundamental up like failing to put the relevant IP in the LLC as opposed to keeping it personally, so there's even more to untangle when he goes to take investor money.

Lol at the thought that he’ll ever get that far.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

https://www.scribd.com/embeds/466824972/content?start_page=1&view_mode=scroll&access_key=key-wMxT3AXK3NEPleS742o8

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Vox Nihili posted:

Execute Order 69

nice

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Look Sir Droids posted:

Trying to recall when Thomas has surprised me.

That one time he spoke was pretty surprising.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Switch to government IT.

It’s still despair, but it’s easier.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Munin posted:

Humans are such fragile things. Let me tell you of the hundreds of ways to kill a man.

I’ve been binging Forged in Fire as my current work time distraction, and the one thing I’ve definitely learned is that “will it kill” is a ridiculously low standard.

We should still outlaw guns.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Yuns posted:

I am no longer a biglaw partner by the way. I'm a general counsel now.

Do you get more than 3 hours of sleep a night now?

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Toona the Cat posted:

Law School is fun if you do it the right way.

have someone else pay for it

With all the possibilities for that spoiler tag, you really went with the latest (but most honest, I guess) option.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

A Tasteful Nude posted:

But total PSLF is tantalizingly close for me, at the moment.

Mine went through last month. It wasn’t quite “passed the bar” levels of relief, but it was close.