Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Meatbag Esq.
May 3, 2006

Hmm which internet meme should go here again?
Put back in the "do not go to law school, there are no jobs, you will die alone" sparklies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meatbag Esq.
May 3, 2006

If you want, I'm a white noise posting patent dork on the west coast working in house for big tech.

Meatbag Esq.
May 3, 2006

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Just like patent lawyers. :laugh:

This but not sarcastically.

Meatbag Esq.
May 3, 2006

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3845966

The op of this thread has a lot of good questions I've used before (though slightly modified to be more relevant to the legal profession and not in an OCI context).

E: Another good (lazy) question is something like "what distinguishes a great candidate from a good candidate" and then you can go into how you have whatever traits the interviewer says.

Meatbag Esq.
May 3, 2006

Adar posted:

this is your once in a lifetime chance to get paid to draft a motion compelling the ghosts to appear

It will probably be dismissed for service failure but that's the point isn't it.

Meatbag Esq.
May 3, 2006

I thought wins like this were they only way you litigators got hard in the first place.

Meatbag Esq.
May 3, 2006

I sit with the entire trademarks team at my company. Their clients are so dumb. They will never be unemployed.

Meatbag Esq.
May 3, 2006

Vox Nihili posted:

In 10 years GET MONEY will be here on the SomethingAwful VR forums (presented by Amazon Web Services) telling new hopefuls (outside the US, of course) about how he was totally on the fast track to partner until Trump outlawed the practice of law in 2025.

Most of us will be dead by that point, of course.

Lol like lowtax is ever going to update the forums.

Meatbag Esq.
May 3, 2006

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Let’s talk about the death penalty. I think under very strict circumstances, certain offenders can morally be executed by the state.

Agreed. Eat the rich.

Meatbag Esq.
May 3, 2006

Kawasaki Nun posted:

Late to a session? That's a paddlin'
Missing your catsuit? That's a paddlin'
Refuse to clean your dom's boots with your tongue? Best believe that's a paddlin'

Maybe they forgot to do all those things cause they wanted to be paddled. Maybe the better punishment is to send them home.

Meatbag Esq.
May 3, 2006

The problem is people capable of being real CEO's - even those with law backgrounds - can make way more money elsewhere. Also, most ethics rules require top dog at law firms to be a lawyer.

Meatbag Esq.
May 3, 2006

Vox Nihili posted:

Heck maybe don't even commit any adultery at all, if you can manage it.

Get with the times, relationship anarchy is the new it.

Meatbag Esq.
May 3, 2006

interviewer: where do you see yourself in five years
me: my biggest weakness is not listening

Meatbag Esq.
May 3, 2006

gently caress I just realized I /almost/ won an award named after avanetti in law school. A good friend won it instead. =(

Meatbag Esq.
May 3, 2006

Vox Nihili posted:

Congrats to your friend for landing the Michael J. Avenatti Award for Excellence in Pre-Trial and Trial Advocacy

Right? It's literally the person in the graduating class with the highest grades in those two classes. I even convinced them to take pre-trial ad.

Meatbag Esq.
May 3, 2006

This thread is full of stories of complaints against public defenders who couldn't keep their clients out of prison, you think a crazy guy won't file one against a guy who got him incarcerated?

Meatbag Esq.
May 3, 2006

Sorry guys, I was being a little hyperbolic in that post :sweatdrop:. Didn't mean for it to be taken seriously.

I'll go back to being a patent nerd.

Meatbag Esq.
May 3, 2006

Phil Moscowitz posted:

A bunch of house parties of which I can remember maybe three, and I couldn't possibly tell you everyone that was there or whose house it was.

What's it like being a rapist nominated to the supreme court?????

Meatbag Esq.
May 3, 2006

Soothing Vapors posted:

the cold keeps scorpions, brown recluses, and hideous terrifying man-sized spiders at bay

it's a reasonable trade

lol

Just move to new zealand and have the best of both worlds.

Meatbag Esq.
May 3, 2006

Florida had to limit reciprocity because every partner from the north east and midwest retiring there wanted to set up their own residual income shingle and it made it so young lawyers couldn't get work.

Meatbag Esq.
May 3, 2006

Look at mr. smarty pants with the 300 iq over here.

If you’re so smart, why did you go to law school?

(Good luck)

Meatbag Esq.
May 3, 2006

Vote of no confidence from parliament also triggers , and I think certain must pass bills failing to pass (budget?) may also trigger an election.

Meatbag Esq.
May 3, 2006

evilweasel posted:

i thought the UK passed some law to make it harder to force new elections

It’s very possible I was confusing U.K. and Canada.

Meatbag Esq.
May 3, 2006

My main problem was when the climax of the movie rendered the entire Star Wars universe inconsistent because being able to hyperspace ram something means that no space ship larger than a personelle transport would ever be constructed.

Why go through all the bullshit with the death star secret plans? Just ram it with a big loving drone.

Meatbag Esq.
May 3, 2006

SlyFrog posted:

Frodo rides the eagles. Come on man. If Sam can carry that sniveling little bitch wearing the ring, than the eagles can give him a half hour ride to the volcano.

EDIT: Also, we know the eagles can beat the poo poo out of the Nazgul (while singing a mean multipart harmony), so don't even go there.

That was gandalf's original plan. It's why he wanted to go north through the misty mountains, and then just before they got separated in the mines yelled "fly you fools".

Meatbag Esq.
May 3, 2006

You forget Rogue 1 and Solo. There are 10.

But yea, I'm really sad they've gotten rid of the EU. A lot of it was bad, but there was plenty that was really good, especially the Zahn Trilogy.

Meatbag Esq.
May 3, 2006

Lots of in house firms have a bonus structure that mostly depends on how well the company is doing and secondarily based on performance.

Meatbag Esq.
May 3, 2006

In unrelated in house news, I spent today teaching a beginner’s thriller to the rest of the group here in preparation for our ultra competitive Halloween contest.

I’m also underpaid... though the above isn’t why.

Meatbag Esq.
May 3, 2006

Meatbag Esq.
May 3, 2006

ulmont posted:

Crazy Ex-Girlfriend has come up with the thread's theme song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xs-UEqJ85KE

Guys, please stop doxxing me.

Meatbag Esq.
May 3, 2006

Who was the person running the legal writing class, I feel like this would be a good exercise for them.

Meatbag Esq.
May 3, 2006

I feel like the most common violation of appliance policies is space warmers.

Meatbag Esq.
May 3, 2006

evilweasel posted:

that's nice, i'm in a course to become a certified nfl quarterback

Speaking of useful job skills, I can now add choreography and dance instruction to my resume right next to team building, event planning, and voice acting.

These are all things I have been paid to do as an in house counsel.

Meatbag Esq.
May 3, 2006

nm posted:

I'm hoping for some more legal questions drama.
We still can't breath here, which is getting really old. Otoh, I got a new laptop, so I'm playing all the games my 2011 thinkpad wouldn't run.

Currently fleeing to Miami for thanksgiving. Timing is a coincidence but I’m not going to complain.

E: the woman at the airport next to me commented that her club sandwich without the bread wasn’t really a sandwich. I managed to restrain myself from arguing.

Meatbag Esq. fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Nov 18, 2018

Meatbag Esq.
May 3, 2006

Other states where marijuana became legal medicinally before recreationally eventually agreed with Mr. Nice's position if I remember correctly, but it had to go to the state supreme court to get there so good luck~~~

Meatbag Esq.
May 3, 2006

Discendo Vox posted:

Yes I'm sure he let you climb up there and lean over the divider

First off, wouldn't that testimony be admissible? And second, should the judge really be objecting on behalf of her opponent? Whatever it's a comic is the answer to both questions.

Meatbag Esq.
May 3, 2006

Poppers are for the bottom Phil.

Meatbag Esq.
May 3, 2006

EwokEntourage posted:

Where does Toona fit on the list of fictional lawyers

Toona isn’t a lawyer soooooo....

Meatbag Esq.
May 3, 2006

ActusRhesus posted:

Anyone who uses Esq. is a douche.

Can confirm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meatbag Esq.
May 3, 2006

Soothing Vapors posted:

lol

oh poo poo was he behind that one too? what a practice that guy's built up

Filing frivolous lawsuits to own the libs seems like a good business model for scamming money from rich entitled dickwads.