Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.
Planning to cover Alpha Strike as well?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.
So, after playing in an Alpha Strike demo and then reading it over, it occurred to some of my friends and I that beyond making company level play viable in a non-geologic time scale, Alpha Strike's rules look like they might do lance+ level conflicts on a smaller board pretty darn quick. Has anyone tried playing it as just a lighter, faster skirmish game? Given that part of the fun of battletech is the gigantic toybox of mecha and vehicles to pick from, we'd probably be proxying heavily so TLOS would definitely get the ax, but I wasn't sure if anyone had experience with just using Alpha Strike for quick matches on a 3x3 board or the like.

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.

Myrmidongs posted:

The Battletech: Battletech Manual might also be worth mentioning as something to consider rather than Total Warfare.

Here's how it diffes from Total Warfare:

+Rewords rules for clarity.
+Errata corrections.
+Took the "advanced" rules players actually use "advanced" from Tactical Operations (currently out of print), and left out the ones people barely touch.
-Cuts out all rules for Vehicles, Infantry, and 4-Legged Mechs.

Got an example for what rules it keeps vs ditches?

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.
It was in cover, clearly.

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.
Alpha Strike question as part of some last minute gift shopping; is Commander Edition still the current rules, or has it been obsoleted by the box set?

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.

Xotl posted:

ASCE is the core rule book. The rules in the AS box set are a simplified "Quick-Start" version of the ASCE core: just 40 pages, designed to get your feet wet before moving onto the full book rules.

PoptartsNinja posted:

Rulebooks will always be more complete than the box rules, but the box rules will have everything you need to play basic 'Mech vs. 'Mech games.

Thanks! My wife likes shooting me with tanks, so this is very important.

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.
...is there no official Thunderbolt in plastic?!

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.
Barnes & Noble exclusive battletech minis...what a world we live in.

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.
Is there a good battletech discord these days? (Especially for Alpha Strike?)

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.
Does anyone know of a good .stl for sale or otherwise legally available for the Imp?

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.

Lord_Hambrose posted:

I just want Clan Ice Hellion back. :qq:

Could you explain why? I'm an Inner Sphere and mercenary fan, and the closest thing to the Clans I like is Clan Snord, so I may just be underinformed about their particulars, but why the Ice Hellions?

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

I wonder if the Kickstarter Commander Edition book will be this newer printing or the older one. Fingers crossed.

It was impossible to get the older Commander Edition book through distro for a while, so I'd imagine the new one unless catalyst had a supply they weren't shipping for some reason.

A canadian friend grabbed me one from his FLGS a week or two ago, which I now feel awful for having asked him.

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.
Is anyone around Nova open? A friend is working a booth there, and I wasn't sure if there was anyone selling battletech stuff (especially like the salvage boxes) I could ask them to pick up.

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.

a cyborg mug posted:

DFA in Alpha Strike causes an automatic critical hit should it connect.

Guess who killed a pristine fuckin Dire Wolf by jumping on its head with a broken rear end Wolverine for shits and giggles lol

:perfect:

I need to get Alpha Strike on the table sometime soon.

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.
I'm going to be joining a campaign at my local FLGS, and just realized I don't actually have a Griffin. I'm not keen on buying a whole box for just one mech; anyone have a spare they'd be up for trading for a stormcrow or something?

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.

a cyborg mug posted:

Get a metal Super Griffin, that’s a pretty sweet mini

…I want one, anyway

That certainly is, but after too much heartbreak involving superglue and Warmachine minis, I'm trying to avoid metal.

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.

Count Thrashula posted:

In that case I think I have a spare printed Griffin somewhere I could probably pass along

Oh, hey! Please toss me a PM.

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.

Fearless posted:

I definitely have a spare Griffin that is painted and am happy to pass along if the honourable count's turns out to be a mythical beast.

Please drop me a PM!

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.
You say that but I have absolutely BUTCHERED my Black Knight. :smith:

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.

Arquinsiel posted:

The paint comes off well with a variety of techniques.

What's safe to strip catalyst plastics with?

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.
I wish that Battletech writing would embrace a bit more of an uncertain perspective on "historical" events; I think it would only benefit from a widespread understanding that everything is distorted by too much time and distance, and any given fact or event is probably recorded in five different ways in four different places.

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.
My local group is having a battletech day coming up. One of the regulars and I tend to get there early and then end up with people showing up one at a time, including some newer players looking to play with new toys for the first time. We've settled on a Hold the Line scenario where any late players can join as successive waves of attackers, which should he a pretty good time.

My friend is playing the defender and planning to field Davion; are there any particularly interesting spots in 3151+ where Davion might get hammered by an odd alliances of attackers?

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

Ankaa is now the tippy-corner of the Suns' region of control and would be a prime target for raiding. The Kuritans, Liaos, and Sea Foxes(!) are all a jump or less away.

Ankaa is perfect! Thanks for the excellent suggestion.

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.

biosterous posted:

inspired by someone on reddit who swapped the arms and legs of their rifleman mini, i did this:

I really enjoy the ghost.

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.

Atlas Hugged posted:

I have decided on the color scheme for my Snord's Irregulars lance. I don't really mind if it's canon or not because it looks loving rad. Also, I magnetized the smoke and base of the jumping Guillotine so I can switch it at will while maintaining stability.

Snord's Irregulars deserve bright, stupid paint schemes. Love this!

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.
Is there a good writeup/example of how infantry work in Battletech anywhere? I have Total Warfare, but could really use more examples.

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.

Strobe posted:

BattleTroops is incredibly bad and I'm also pretty sure that's not what they were asking about.

Correct. Hoping to see if there's a played-out example of infantry (or better yet, mixed infantry) somewhere.

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.

Arquinsiel posted:

Highlander Gambit: the first novel they let Pardoe write, and the mistake is clear from the first paragraph. He decides that the Northwind Highlanders, a mercenary brigade full of all the Scottish stereotypes the 1980s could cram into them, would name their HQ dropship "the Stonewall Jackson" :smithicide:.

Seriously, dude should have been fired the second that poo poo crossed the editor's desk.

This was my first Battletech novel as a kid, and I remember really liking it, but had no idea that it was Pardoe. I had totally missed that particular detail. :negative:

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.
Are there infantry models folks like using besides IWMs?

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.

These are great! Is there a place that sells them currently, or is it a "wait until it's back in stock" situation?

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.

Z the IVth posted:

If you're an Euro you can buy them directly from Strato Minis which is Polish.

:911:

So in the store campaign I'm in, I've ended up with a Sirocco of all things. Anyone have experience with the most AT-AT-esque of 'mechs, or big quads in general?

LaSquida fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Nov 13, 2023

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.

Arquinsiel posted:

This far in I have to say he was significantly worse than even the least interesting of the Stackpole novels that had previously been published.

ETA: halfway through the book Loren Jaffrey realises he is afraid of water, despite being introduced using water to escape mechs.

Time and nostalgia are a hell of a drug. Guess it's best I never revisited it.

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.
So, after several months of playing Classic Battletech with one FLGS, I played some Alpha Strike at a different one. Still a very big fan of both games, and I was wondering if there were some Classic Btech duds that work well in Alpha Strike?

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.
One of the joys od Snord's Irregulars is being irregular. I love bright, stupid colors and I'm going to lean into it, darn it.

8k of Snord's for an invasion era game this weekend. Most of the variants are wrong (they're being run as the Royal variants), that Hawk Moth is actually an infantry Ripper, and the wee bairns are a heavy infantry stand-in, but I enjoy having a fully painted list never the less.

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.

BattleMaster posted:

So the real way to get infantry damage is to use a faction that has access to Cybernetic Myomer Implants, Dermal Armor and Cybernetic Myomer Implants, Triple-Strength. You can do whatever you want too since this game doesn't have set in stone factions, but if you care about the lore, Word of Blake, Capellans (though I think only their WoB servants during the Jihad), and Magistracy of Canopus have them.

Word of Blake jump infantry is especially good because they use 5 6-man squads, so you have a full 30-man unit. And having more squads is better, because with these two implants, you can give each squad a total of 4 support weapons (2 base +1 for each implant) AND the implants reduce the crew usage of each weapon by 1. Plus WoB gets Mauser 1200 LSS for their primary guns and their infantry kit is unencumbering and has a divisor of 2.

The ket part is that only the primary weapon gets its damage truncated to 0.6 maximum, but the support weapons - which you can use a lot more of - have their full damage which is often quite high. So you can build a jump platoon that has the full 3 jump, an armor divisor of 3, and a total of 20 of your choice of support weapons as long as its base crew requirement is 3 or less to begin with. Grenade Launcher (Heavy), Plasma Rifle (Man Portable), and Support Laser (Heavy) are the winners and are are also available to all three of the factions that get these implants, giving 1.37 damage per trooper (41 total) out to 3 hexes, 1.25 (flamer damage, 38 total) to 6 hexes, and 1.18 (35 total) to 15 hexes.

You also get the 1d6 burst against infantry for the Mauser 1200 LSSs having their damage truncated, and you can also add a pain shunt for half fire damage and laser/telescopic sensory implants for -1 to hit, and communications implants for -1 for indirect fire spotting. Plus you can instead use Cybernetic Enhanced Multi-Modal Sensory Implants plus Cybernetic Boosted Communications Implants over the inferior versions for all that plus a 3-hex active probe (which with TacOps rules can reduce the penalty for firing through/into woods/smoke by 1) and the ability to join a C3i network.

Of course all of that is both a custom unit and optional era-specific rules. But if the game were to ever add more set factions as an optional way to play tournaments more like some other games with normally-optional rules like warrior augmentations, PSAs, and faction-specific abilities added to the appropriate factions as part of the force building, Word of Blake would probably be the king poo poo infantry faction.

You can't get quite the same insanity with battle armor, but you can still use the dermal armor for +1 hit point per trooper and they can use the enhanced multi-modal/boosted comms to get onto a C3i network without having to make custom units, plus they also get the 3-hex probe (if they don't have a probe already.) They can also add VDNI to get -1 gunnery/-1 anti-mech and add 2 hexes to the probe range if they already have a built-in probe. All at the cost of some extra BV cost on units that are already pretty cheap. Praise Blessed Blake!

edit: I revised my gauss field gunners to have 4x Support Lasers per squad to give them a little more firepower and range without bumping up the BV too much, and statted out the above-described jump infantry.

I need to do the BV calculations by hand because I don't think MegaMek includes everything, but these are pretty solid imo for the cost, even if it ends up being a bit higher.

edit 2: It's me, I'm the market for an updated Jihad-era BattleTroops. BattleTroops was kind of out of date even when I got into the game in the 90s but reading scans of it and ClanTroops makes me wish for an update. ClanTroops especially has some really cool scenarios.

Wasn't there errata that kept infantry damage from getting this high, or does this particular combination of traits get past that?

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.

Saint Celestine posted:

There are so many hilarious variants in that new recognition guide.

2k BV Mauler with 2 cLPLs, 2 c LRM 15s, and 4 AC5s.

MAULER'S REVENGE

quote:

Another one with 4 ATM 12s

Noooooooooooooo

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.

Arquinsiel posted:

I have reached Exodus Road, or, "Why January 6th was Both Good and Necessary", by Blaine Pardoe.

That bad, huh?

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.

GD_American posted:

The Combine has so many interesting facets beyond the dumb samurai bullshit.

What's the stuff you like?

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.
I've been painting up weird old mechs for my Snord's Irregulars, and the most recent is the Nightstar!

The mech postdates Rhonda's Irregulars in the real world so there was never one canonically in their roster, but it feels right up their alley alongside Spartans and Exterminators.

LaSquida fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Jan 27, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.

raverrn posted:

A big part of the Recognition Guides are taken up by 3100+ 'updated' versions of 3025 and 3050 'mechs. Part of being so late is that Inner Sphere manufacturers can produce with some limits Clan-spec weapons and equipment, so most of them are mixed technology machines. It owns, more people need to try it out.

There's also the added kink that all the updates try to match the weapon layout of the original chassis, to make your neat Kickstarter minis valid. So you get stuff like that Mauler with the same missile / gun / laser loadout, or my personal favorite the Shadow Hawk update that has a Streak SRM, Light Autocannon and Medium Laser, but the LRM 5 becomes FIVE Thunderbolt 5s.
Wait, what version of the Shadow Hawk is this?