Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

Really the MRM should have been a bonus to hit and a penalty to cluster rolls. It's a missile shotgun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Nova Cats are only mostly dead!

Them, the Sea Foxes and the FWL together was the greatest gift Battletech could have given me. All my lovable idiot children in one basket.

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Strobe posted:

In that case it's nominally 596,484, assuming there are no jump platoons and also that Independent Regiments don't normally include infantry. Six hundred thousand feels like a safe place to round off.

And then four-to-six times that for support staff, and WarShip crews and...

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Wait, is that a Rattler? Sick as hell.

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Atlas Hugged posted:

I painted a thing:

Didn't really have a plan going in, but I like the colors and I think he'll fit in fine on my hex map.

Serious MechCommander vibes.

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Didn't just cross them, crossed them OFF.

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Also why are they using contractions?

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

PoptartsNinja posted:

Vaporwave Timberwolf

Getting a Purifiers star? :cool:

Looks sick.

raverrn fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Aug 31, 2021

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Contingency posted:

If anyone is in a similar boat, I was able to negotiate a model replacement--just tell them you prefer a model replacement and refuse the $5 CGL credit. I haven't received it yet, but sounds like they're parting out boxes to replace individual models.

Also, Barnes and Noble has a forcepack with the Annihilator sculpt:
https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/battletech-forcepack-wolfs-dragoons-assault-star-bn-exclusive-catalyst-game-labs/1139270744

Oh god it looks like a cartoon and someone just hit it with a mallet

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Strobe posted:

It won't win quickly but it will win.

This, I think, is a key point. You can almost certainly pull a win off with it if you're willing to only engage on good terms, but that might take twenty or thirty or forty turns. At some point your win condition might be waiting for your opponent to get fed up and quit.

As for actually winning, the White Raven 2 has one more point of jump distance, trades the UAC for twice as many pulse lasers and carries a tcomp and improved targeting, short.

Aside from being just faster and jumpier, there might be some play in a fatass hardened or ballistic reinforced 'mech.

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Overheating is going to be less of an issue on a machine that's fleeing repositioning half the time, and unlike the Jade Phoenix the White Raven is rocking torso mounts. Eight damage punches into rear armor will make anyone real nervous real quick.

It's all a dice game, of course, but I think the White Raven comes out on top.

And quirks are hella cool and everyone should use them except for the Marauder.

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Strobe posted:

It's very difficult to reposition away from a mech you only outjump by 1, though, and it comes entirely down to initiative. If you could actually know whether you win your next initiative that'd be great but it's not possible. Losing initiative while overheating is surrendering a turn with basically no return fire at "good" numbers at best.

Also you are never going to land a punch, if you're in the rear you're starting at 11s at best.

Which is really all just to say that the White Raven actually has weaknesses whereas the Jade Phoenix only has things it's merely very good at.

I've done did the science.

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Yep! I was going to best of three, but this sums it up pretty well.

In the battle of optimized jump duelists, there are no winners.

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Does anyone know if there's a miniature or .stl for the MechWarrior 4 Vulture, with the chin turret? I know the Mk IV vaugely has it but that model is a bloated mess otherwise.

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Strobe posted:

For the past few months, I've been writing up a somewhat-competitively minded series of reviews for the various record sheets present in the Recognition Guides, and posting them on the BattleTech forums. Today I finished volume 24. Would anyone be interested in me posting those there?

All of them, please and thank you.

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Man I can't wait for you to get to the nutty little Thunderbolt Shadowhawk.

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Fearless posted:

Oh god this takes me back...

Burned right into my brain. "Hunter here, spare parts for everyone!"

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

So CGL is removing the No Torso Twist quirk entirely?

https://bg.battletech.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/06/BattleMech-Manual-2022-06-06-v6.0.pdf

I dunno if I disagree, it's always been an extremely punishing quirk - deceptively so. But it's certainly a bold move.

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

General Battuta posted:

I have a pet theory (that I've maybe posted here before?) that all the new clan weapons since 1990 like heavy lasers, ATMs and HAGs are purposefully more niche and suboptimal than the original Clantech so that the Clans can gradually start 'upgrading' to the new kit and therefore walk back the power creep a bit.

That's absolutely the case. I'd be willing to bet CGL would love to redesign the _____ but better clan stuff as well, but that cat is way out of the bag.

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

SirFozzie posted:

Spoilers for Empire Alone and Fiction A Question of Survival, with likely spoilers for the next book about the Ghost Bear/Rasalhague Dominion.

Throw Ghost Bear on the list of "Post ilClan places that are extremely hosed, including the Tamar Pact area, and the "Jade Falcon" - Ghost Bear Border, sounds like.

From the end of the book, it sounds the Dominion in a FedCom Civil War Battle on every planet because the Dominion didn't have a unanimous vote to join the ilClan and Alaric Wolf had a sad/mad over it and told them "Do it again, and make it unanimous, or I won't take you".

And this is serious business enough that folks are doing crazy (on an Clan Law-Basis) poo poo. Like instead of challenging your superior to a trial of grievance for his position because he lost a battle to the Jade Falcon remnant, shooting him because he wouldn't break Clan Law and start fighting again to steal back the sibkos that were taken as a result of the Trial of Possession, and immediately afterwards start the fight again yourself.

It sounds like we're getting a war version of Brexit (DomExit? IlExit?" as "Remain Seperate from the ilClan" and "we're now the ilClan's bitches" (Remain and Leave in the 3150's!) and since no place is truly all one or the other, you're going to get just about every unit in the Dominion tearing itself apart, either informally via Trials of Grievance, or formally in rebellion.

Hey, Battletech's trying to be topical.

This makes it sound like the Clan Protectorate got off easy.

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Jobbo_Fett posted:

What the gently caress is a left-wing masturbatory fantasy?

Star Trek, I guess.

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Comstar posted:

Pardoe expresses his dislike of Three Points of Pride, the Ghost Bear football short story. Well, poo poo, if you really needed a reason to cancel the man before...

What the gently caress

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Comstar posted:

I now have a lance of Urbanmech's. What paint job would be most likely to cause a Clan Mechwarrior to erupt in utter rage when I met their Batchal with 4 Urbi's.

Power Rangers.

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Defiance Industries posted:

The problem isn't with double heat sinks, it's engine double heat sinks. Because you get ten free heat dissipation simply by checking a box on your record sheet, not using them is simply a wrong decision. That's another reason that 3039 is the best era, prototype DHS don't go in the engine.

Yeah, if I could go back to 80-whatever and make DHS outside-engine only or make engines take up more slots with DHS installed it'd be a no-brainer. But the ship has sailed, and the DHS world is waaaay more fun than the SHS world.

Gimmie the 3150 oddballs where robots have smatterings of clantech and weirdo systems like Chameleon or Blue Shield

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Yeah, as a FWL fan everything is terrible and on fire, but in good and interesting ways. I couldn't be much happier unless they want to release the specs on the clantech Juliano.

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

lilljonas posted:

OTOH, I'd imagine in universe it'd be a great camouflage idea to paint your thickest bit of head armour to look like a canopy. :P

In MWO I've got multiple 'mechs with a giant bullseye painted on not the cockpit bit of the head. It seems to work okay.

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Marx Headroom posted:

CGL just blogged a retrospective with numbers that may induce warm happy feelings about this formerly dead game.

Also has reminder that Mercenary force packs are coming this month and they'll be unveiling the new Kickstarter at a streaming Adepticon event in March :frog:

It's fun to compare this to the utter failure of Shadowrun 6th.

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

PoptartsNinja posted:

Rasalhauge Galaxy is pretty straightforward.

OK CGL, I accept your challenge!

The only thing I'm not sure of is the Wheeled APC, because it could also be a Striker that's missing its missile turret. I thought the Warrior might be a Donar for a bit until I noticed the goofy pusher tail fan. Definitely a Warrior.

New Ostsol is looking good, and the Hermes II is a surprise. The Goliath needing a flight base makes me giggle. And the Cicada is instantly recognizable because it looks like it forgot to bring any guns.

That's no Venom, it's an Ostscout.

Edit: Fuckin' lol at the Goliath getting a flightstand before the Warrior.

raverrn fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Jan 3, 2023

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

There's an ELH joke in here somewhere.

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

BigBeefCity posted:

^^e: It's slow, under armored, and easily out-gunned. It was the Inner-Spheres' answer to the MadCat and it didn't do any of the things. I mean I'd take it for a walk in the park, don't get me wrong... but as a combat vessel...*makes farting sound*

It's got the same movement profile and almost the same armor coverage as the Mad Cat, nobody calls it slow or underarmored. The weapon fit suffers both from not enough crit space and lacking the frankly absurd clan LRM racks, but it can still force a PSR at 20 hexes and has a decent battery up close. The Rakshasa is a perfectly competent cavalry heavy, it only suffers compared to the Mad Cat's damage output.

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

TheKingslayer posted:

So I'm assuming there's no good way to do cooperative Battletech that doesn't involve a GM to handle the OpFor? I was thinking about setting up a low points mission for my group of friends where they can take a lance of 'mechs against some vehicles and maybe a few sub-par lights.

If you're using Megamek it has a competent-ish bot.

Other than that you really need a GM.

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Rorahusky posted:

When it comes to customization, there are general three phases I see people go through.

Phase 1 - 'IDK It Just Sounds Cool': Just starting out, everything is new and interest to you, and you design 'Mechs based off of whatever idea springs forth from your head. Things like Balance and Functionality are the furthest thing from your mind because you have a giant toybox and you want to play with all the fun toys~

Phase 2 - 'Stop Having Fun Guy': The 'typical' customizer. Someone who customizes based off of what is optimal for whatever task you set forth. This is the stage most custom builders never really grow out of because they let competition take hold. The guys who give unit design a bad rep.

Phase 3 - 'The LoreWarrior': At this point of the game, it's no longer about building what is optimal, but what makes sense from an in-universe sense, where you factor in things beyond raw numbers and cost-to-effectiveness ratios. A lot of the time, it's the result of a Phase 2er wondering why some canon designs are so aggressively bad, and they wind up falling down the rabbithole. You start asking yourself things like 'Why does Marik use so many designs with Large Lasers when they could instead use a PPC? Oh wait, it's because they build the Awesome, and those require so many PPCs per chassis that they don't have many left to spare for other designs. That makes sense.' and you start noticing trends amongst the various factions.

I used to be a Phase 2er when I first started out, but I have since transitioned to a Phase 3 builder, because I find highly optimized designs boring and the lore reasons for things tickles my fancy, and generally when I do customize units, I tend to restrict myself to the Upgrades that make the most sense from a lore perspective, which is why I adore that Strategic Operations included a chart that lists what kind of modifications require what level of work (Field Refit, Maintenance, Factory), and I generally disallow anything that would require a Factory-Level Refit from play on the grounds that most people do not have the required sway needed to convince the procurement office that 'Yes I really need to have a team of top-tier technicians peel my 'Mech down to the skeleton and rebuild it from the ground up so I can fit five hundred LRMs onto it'

There's either a fourth phase or intermediate phase when you realize "making the best mech for the weight" is a suckers game that'll get you mobbed every time and you start to figure out how BV works. That's the guy who inexplicably loves VSPLs and UAC/5s.

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

I'd very much like to know where Kisho Nova Cat is.

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Yep!

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

So I've fallen in with some madlads running the Tukkayid Chaos Campaign, and I'm in charge of vehicle support against Smoke Jaguar. What are my dirty tricks in 3052? I've picked up AC/2 carriers for aerospace and annoyance, LRM Carriers for minefields and NARC follow-ups. A brace of Alicorn VIs, Arrow IVs and some Sprints, a unit of Peregrines, a bushel of Savannah Masters and some Karnovs with SRM teams. Are there any nasties I'm missing before I go all-in on Rievers for the rest?

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

a cyborg mug posted:

Dozens and dozens of SRM Carriers so that your opponents die of old age as they wait for you to roll literally hundreds of missiles

No joy, we're using Megamek.

Edit: And I can't take tandems.

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Floppychop posted:

I saw someone post a screenshot from MW2. When did the Timber Wolf's tonnage change?

It is fun to note that this is from before they changed how mechbuilding worked. A lot of machines got minor changes - the 'modern' Mad Cat Prime doesn't have that ER small laser!

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

The point here is that materiel for the current setting in 3152 sucks rear end because it is for huge turbonerds, and that's directly antithetical to the original "beer-and-pretzels boardgame" idea that BattleTech was originally based on. It's really too far into historical wargaming territory and sure, one could say that "you don't have to play with it", but from a business standpoint it makes a lot more sense to have the "current" content be somewhat higher-volume content instead of one of the worst-performing, and very few folks are going to want to catch up and try the content the game devs make if they're going to be hard to enjoy like that.

Hard disagree for a few reasons. Firstly I don't think it's fair to ever call Battletecha beer-and-pretzels game. It's always been a simulationist nightmare, even in 3025 you had to roll for each of your 20 SRM hits individually or remember the difference between a hip, upper leg, lower leg or foot critical, not to mention the unique ways they can stack. If you want to play walking tankbots with friends with the TV on and shoot the poo poo there's a game for that, it's not introtech it's Alpha Strike.

Secondly, having a ton of gear available to everyone un-solves the equation in a way that just isn't feasible with simple rules. When everyone has just the basic weapons on hand your design epitomizes slowly and surely towards a Crab or whatever. There's still room for some personal interpretation, for sure, but I can tell you the value of a battlemech build in 3025 way, way more easily when it's just "how many large lasers and heat sinks and what speed does it move at" compared to some of the truly weird Dark Age designs. The Quasimodo has 3 MVSPLs, TSM and a Blue Shield. How does that compare to a Scarecrow mounting a few Clan ERMLs and a Chameleon system? There's a tooooon more playroom and the game is way richer for it.

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

The big circles are hardened armor, clearly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

That's how the rules work, given they're homing arrows, are arriving that turn and were targeted on a hex no more than 8(?) hexes away.