Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

EmbryoSteve posted:

This would be the amazing season

This is basically the season Calvin Johnson had in 2012. 1,964 yards and only five touchdowns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Jonathan Fisk posted:

Bills are profoundly bad at every position except RB and safety

Allen looked dece in his limited time tho

4-12 incoming

4-12 feels generous after what I saw.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

What talent is left over that is good? Like I genuinely don't know who is playing there that would be an above average NFL starter besides I guess Shady and Hyde but I might be overlooking someone.

I think I would take the Browns roster over the Bills right now and I don't think it is really even that close.

The problem with the Browns at this point is unquestionably coaching-you get rid of Jackson and put in a coach that knows what he's doing, I could easily see a Rams-esque revival.

The Bills, christ I wouldn't even know where to start.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

DrunkPanda posted:

I cant stop smiling. That SNF game was entertaining as gently caress. And I don't even have a rooting interest in either of those teams

As someone who has a vested interest in the Packers eating dirt, it was awful

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
I feel like there's a lot of coaches in the league that don't understand that when facing a player of Rodgers' caliber, the one thing you can never loving do is let off the gas. The awful, terrifying thing about Rodgers is that he can carve even the best defense to absolute shreds, and whenever he has the ball in his hands, you have to assume he'll score. The only way to win is to play aggressively and pile on so many points and take so much time off the clock that he physically can't come back.

Ultimately, it's the same reason why the Jags lost in the AFC championship and the Eagles won the Superbowl-Marrone didn't understand that Brady can't ever be underestimated, called plays like the game was in the bag, and got torn to fuckin' shreds. Pederson meanwhile did everything in his physical power to keep and build his team's lead over the Patriots, and managed to smother the inevitable comeback.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
my god my god why have you forsaken me

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

I stopped watching to do hurricane prep when it was 17 to 17, how did that final score happen?!?

Jets drove down the field to score a TD, and the Lions just... melted down. I'm talking multiple interceptions (including a pick six), a punt return TD, everything.

Ultimately, the loss comes down to Stafford and the receivers. Stafford threw multiple throws into coverage that resulted in horrific ints, and when he was throwing accurately everyone but Golladay was dropping balls. Like, there were some perfectly thrown deep balls that went through Jones' hands. It was... not good.

Well, that'd explain a few things.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
Well, let's review.

There were a handful of positives to the game. Lions did have one nice TD drive, the pick 6 was great, and Golladay had a great fuckin' day. The team does have talent, but...

I think the most concerning thing about this past offseason and this first game is how bad many of Quinn's draft picks have looked. It's a far cry from 2016 and 2017, when his picks were big performers-a lot of players like Robinson, Davis, and Tabor haven't progressed in the ways they've needed to or have even regressed, which means that the team that Quinn took over in 2015 that had a ton of holes that needed to be filled still has a ton of holes that need to be filled, and the star players are getting older. This worries me a lot more than last night's disaster, really-one game is one game, no matter how bad it is. But talent is incredibly important to the long-term health and performance of the team, and this is the first time I've really started to question Quinn's ability to evaluate talent.

The other big concern is the coaching-and not Patricia's (Though I'll get to that in a moment), but Cooter's. Like we've seen, the Jets players knew exactly what plays the Lions were going to run as Stafford was calling them, which meant that with the exception of only a handful of drives the Lions were incapable of moving downfield, and were turning over the ball constantly. And while the Lions still might not have won if Stafford hadn't thrown so many interceptions, there's no question that they were a massive factor in the team's meltdown-especially in the third quarter, after which the team gave up completely. For what was supposed to be the team's strength, the offense being an active liability in this game was the single biggest problem.

Special teams was also an unexpected disaster, which was especially disappointing considering it has been one of the team's real strengths over the past few years. Multiple missed field goals left points off the board, and the defense on the punt returns were exceptionally awful. The punt return TD was bad, no question-but even discounting the score itself, the Jets gained one hundred and thirty seven yards on three punt returns, averaging nearly 46 yards a return. Andre Roberts was the real unsung hero of the Jets last night-the Lions punted three times, and each time the Jets scored a touchdown on short fields or Roberts took it in himself. Short fields off of punt returns, missed field goals, and interceptions gave the Jets a massive advantage over the Lions in the game, and was a major factor in their success.

The defense was expected to be bad so honestly I'm not hugely upset with their performance. With no pass rush (especially after Ansah went out with an injury AGAIN, jesus christ ziggy) and only a handful of competent players in the secondary Darnold was probably going to look great regardless, and they were constantly working on short fields. It was bad, really bad, but they did force a few stops and had had that interception return so if anything they were at least less actively counter-productive than the rest of the team.

And, Patricia. Ultimately, the failure of the team comes down to him-he's the head coach, and in this one game the team clearly regressed in on every level. Moving beyond that, I also wasn't a fan of his in-game decision making—this is a sentiment common to pretty much everyone in TFF, but when I see fourth and goal, especially when you're already down two scores and you know you're getting the ball back after the half, I want the team to go for it. Going for the field goal in the third quarter when the team was down 24 points was also immensely frustrating, though marginally more understandable since it was abundantly clear that there was no way the Lions had the ability to come back at that point—but even so, he should have gone for it, especially considering the embarrassment of the miss and the Jets TD immediately afterwards.

Looking forward, the team has Problems. Hopefully, fixable ones—Jim Bob Cooter already revamped the playbook on the fly once when he took over from Joe Lombardi back in 2015, and if he can somehow manage to unfuck whatever made the offense so predictable and vulnerable this game, then the team should at least be mediocre, if not competitive. Likewise, if the special teams can figure out how not to give up massive punt returns, which they have very recent experience doing, then that would go a long way towards not giving opposing teams free points.

The defense, meanwhile, will continue to suck and I accept that.

But yeah, dark clouds are on the horizon if the Lions and Patricia especially don't figure things out very loving quickly. I personally think the Jets may end up being a lot better than they were predicted to be, but even so they were one of the easier teams on the schedule, and things are only going to get harder and harder from here on out. Emergency measures are needed, and it's up to Quinn and Patricia to turn the ship around immediately, which I have little confidence in their ability to do.

In short, looks like another fun and exciting season for the Detroit Lions!

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
Detroit doesn't have the worst traffic or drivers but by god it unquestionably has the worst roads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Yodzilla posted:

Apparently not enough actual football nonsense happened in week one.

I mean I'm not quite sure what to call whatever it is that happened in the Lions game but it wasn't football.

• Locked thread