Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
I finished Murder By Numbers today and I liked it but it's kind of weird. There aren't really any logic puzzles exactly, I mean you can come to conclusions through logic but at its heart it's just "Show a thing to the right person to unlock the next scene," when the game forces you to make a logical deduction there doesn't seem to be any penalty for a wrong answer, I answered a question wrong in the second case and SCOUT just went "Uh no that doesn't make sense, try again." This is made a bit worse by the fact that in the first case you can technically give the correct answer by pointing the finger at Tully, but it's considered a wrong answer because the game wants you to pick the nerd guy, even though the evidence doesn't really point to him murdering Blake. I had the same problem in the second quest when the game wants you to accuse someone of buying the makeup, and I was like "There's no way it's Bobby, because he wouldn't use such an obvious fake name that links him to it," which actually turns out to be correct, but I still had to accuse him anyway.

It's just kind of weird. It's far less "Pick up and do a puzzle or two for ten minutes" because you have to go through all the story stuff to get to new puzzles, and the difficulty curve is all over the place since some earlier story puzzles are actually more difficult than later ones, there isn't a consistent rampup like in regular Picross games. Some of the music is really great, some is just okay. The Lethe Security theme is probably the best in the game and it sucks you only get to hear it once (technically twice, but only once while you're actually doing puzzles). Becky's theme is also a really fun piece of music that's horribly underused.

The story is fine, I liked it well enough, even if some of the early foreshadowing is a bit misleading. SCOUT's Memories don't really add a whole lot to the story though, and I was especially disappointed with the special memory from case 4, I was hoping for something a bit more interesting or intriguing considering there's no way to do the last three puzzles until after the story is over. The sketch art from the end credits is really cute though.

So yeah it's a weird game because it's Picross, it's fun, the story is neat but it's a far cry from "Phoenix Wright mixed with Picross" since there's nowhere near the level of logical deduction like in Phoenix Wright and there isn't really any way to fail. The game ends with a sequel hook though so maybe/hopefully the next one will have a bit more of that? I enjoyed my time with it at least, even if it isn't quite what I thought it would be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Wildtortilla posted:

I'm actually surprised it's as great as it is given how poorly folks talk about it.

Come back after the pachinko, chuckster and watermelon shines and tell us what you think.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

For the record I really like Sunshine, but its biggest problems are that beating the game is locked behind getting 7/8 of all the shines in the levels rather than an overall number like in 64, and while most of the shines are fine some of them are extremely frustrating due to very poor physics (the pachinko shine being the absolute worst offender). I like it more than 64 honestly, as long as I don't try to 100% it.

There's also the blue coins, which have their own problems, I even saw a video about it a few days ago, Super Mario Sunshine’s Blue Coins are Great, and that’s why I Hate them.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

I bought World of Final Fantasy Maxima since it was on sale for 20 bucks on the eshop. Haven't played a "100 hours to do everything" JRPG in a while.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

BotW is in a weird place for me because after finishing it I thought "That might be the greatest video game I've ever played" and yet if you ask me what my favorite Zelda is I'll say "Link to the Past" immediately and without hesitation.

Mr Snips posted:

Speaking of age of calamity, are the complaints about its fps overblown or an actual deal breaker? I liked hyrule warriors and am used to musou slowdown but if it's exceptionally bad I'm perfectly fine not spending my money on the game

I had no problems with the framerate personally outside of one mission at the end of the game (might even be postgame) with six Lynels where the framerate seriously went into single digits. But I play handheld exclusively so I don't notice that stuff as easily as someone who plays on a TV does.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

SeANMcBAY posted:

No. The story is very minimal like with BOTW. It’s worth playing though. I think it’s the best Warriors game yet.

I would disagree it's the best Warriors game, but a lot of that is based on me liking the Musou games and being a bit disappointed that there's almost no map strategy involved, to the point there's not even a morale meter like in other games (since enemies will never aggressively try to take territory like they do in other games). It's still really good!

The story is minimal in how it affects the world as a whole, but it's very good and interesting as Zelda is the main character and outside of Link going from a grunt to the knight protecting her, he's essentially a side character who barely matters in the plot after chapter 2. I'd agree that it isn't worth watching cutscenes on Youtube for, but definitely worth playing if you can deal with a bit of framerate jank.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Snake Maze posted:

I can't think of a Zelda game out there that's hard enough that people need to be warned off from it.

Zelda II

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

You need the glove to lift a big boulder blocking the entrance to Death Mountain a little to the northwest of the Sanctuary, on the screen underneath the Lumberbros. After that you have to go through a maze where you'll find an old man, and then you'll be on the mountain when you get out. There's no pits blocking the path.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Skull Woods is the only dungeon you are required to re enter to leave, and the last dungeon in the game where you are able to use the dungeon item to defeat the boss (though it isn't required, as Arrghus is the only boss in the game that requires you to use the dungeon item).

I love LttP so much so I just like pointing that out because I really really hate the "use dungeon item to beat boss" thing that every 3D Zelda did until BotW.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Arrghus is the Hookshot boss from Swamp Palace, yeah. Mothula (Skull Woods boss) is more like Helmasaur King and Armos Knights in that the dungeon item is helpful to beat the boss, but not required.

Oh one quick tip for Mothula, which I'll spoil so you don't have to read it unless you feel you need it: If you hit it and it hits any of the spikes, then the damage you would have dealt to it won't actually count. This can make the boss feel more random and frustrating than the others since you might end up doing more hits on a failed run than you do on a successful one.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

I only play my Switch in handheld mode and it makes Galaxy an absolute frustration to play, since you have to use the touchscreen to do everything like select worlds and gather star bits. It's why I haven't really played any of Galaxy on the 3D All Stars collection despite liking it. It's a really stupid decision especially after releasing the Switch Lite, I know that it's a challenge to try and figure out a way to do motion stuff in handheld but I feel like there had to be a better solution than this.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

I can't believe the scene in FFX where Tidus is faking laughing in a very cringeworthy manner which makes everyone in the game embarrassed sounds really fake and is very cringeworthy. What were they thinking?

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

SeANMcBAY posted:

How do you guys think the Friends of Mineral Town remake compares to Stardew?

Friends of Mineral Town was the best Harvest Moon imo, and I'm one of the weirdos who didn't like Stardew at all so my opinion is probably worth nothing, but if FoMT goes on sale again I'm definitely getting it. I know some people don't like the art style though.

Pharohman777 posted:

So there's a hubbub about a horror game called sense: a cyberpunk ghost story. The main characters have big tits with exposed cleavage.

It's weird to go after this game and not the one with actual nudity where the plot is "you have to undress these women to save them" or whatever.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Bottom Liner posted:

no one gives a gently caress if you wear a hat inside it's not 1961 goddamn

The spirit of dalereed rises from his grave at these words.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

My only real complaint about FF7 on the Switch is that it's based on the PC version mostly. This is good in a sense, as a lot of the more glaring translation errors and bad grammar were fixed, but it also means the character models have mouths and it looks so wrong to me after playing the Playstation version for years. At least they fixed permanent O face Sephiroth.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

I will always wear lobster shirt with the Hylian pants dyed orange.

I saw that there's some sort of Duke Nukem 3D collection on sale for five bucks. Thinking about getting it, I played a lot of Duke Nukem 3D when I was a kid.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Marx Headroom posted:

Obligatory Unraveled episode where they cook and judge all 78 recipes from BotW

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CYutF8qr7AY

Two men discover why salt was so valuable.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

I've been playing Derpixtion off and on for a few months and I feel like I already know the answer to this but there's no way to make the numbers bigger, is there? I just got to the 24x24 puzzles and my eyes are hosed up and I can't really read tiny print, and hoo boy these numbers are tiny. I might just have to stop playing it if there isn't any way to make them more visible.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

japtor posted:

Is that a typo or joke name? Cause I can’t seem to find the game/screenshots (searching sure found some...other stuff though). But anyway so no clue about the game itself, so the closest thing (besides docked play on a bigger screen?) is the screen zoom accessibility feature. But it just zooms the whole screen (and I forget if it’s adjustable) so usefulness is probably gonna be limited here unless the game can fit perfectly in the zoomed area.

Oh whoops. It was a typo, yeah. It's Depixtion. Also, thanks! I forgot the screen zoom was a thing. That will probably help, it'll be a little awkward but I prefer that to just not doing the last 25 puzzles.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

The Maroon Hawk posted:

Yeah I heard that too, probably through these forums. Might explain why the VA is somewhat better in AoC if they were able to figure out that’s what they were recording for and were able to negotiate a higher rate

I wonder if the original guy who played Daruk got pissed about it and didn't return for AoC for that reason.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Scrap Dragon posted:

Hmm? He’s played by Jon Hernandez in both games.

Wait what? How? His voice is noticeably different in BotW and AoC. The first time I heard him talk I went "Wait that isn't Daruk's voice" and I went to Youtube and pulled up a cutscene and it was definitely not the same.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

I will never play Persona 5 even if it gets released on the Switch but I need Scramble.

It's going to be great because the game will assume I already know everything from P5 and I won't know poo poo.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Pixel Puzzle Makeout League

I love picross and I keep seeing that game but I haven't tried it yet. I dunno, something about the "date SUPERHEROES!" pitch that the eShop has makes me kind of shrug at it I guess? I guess I'm just not sold on that part of it even if it is a picross game.

Speaking of which if you're getting into picross I highly recommend Pixel Cross Adventure. It's the Picross game I had the most fun playing.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

japtor posted:

How many Picross story games are there? I'm interested in Murder by Numbers, I think someone else posted about it after one of the recent Picross puzzle help posts.

I only really know about Pixel Cross Adventure as far as integrating puzzles with gameplay. Others like PictoQuest and Pixel Colors have a story as a backdrop but it's still just "choose puzzles from a menu" as far as the actual game goes.

I really can't say enough good things about Pixel Cross Adventure.

I've tried a bit of the demo for Monster Hunter Rise, it's the first Monster Hunter game I've played since 3 Ultimate on the Wii U. I'm kind of not enjoying it. I loved 3U but it just feels like this has too much poo poo going on. I really really hate the monster riding stuff, it just feels awful to me.

To be far I only have done the two "tutorial" quests so far, so maybe I'll be sold when I do one of the actual quests, but the wirebug stuff seems so unnecessary and complicated and fucks up the simplicity I enjoyed from 3U. It's causing too many buttons to have to remember and I hate that. I also can't find out how to do the charge up move for the hammer since the R button is used for dashing.

But yeah, I dunno. I'll share my thoughts more after I do the other quests. Maybe if I'd kept up with the series it wouldn't seem so overwhelming, since I don't know how much of this stuff is actually new for Rise, but it doesn't feel great to me.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

b_d posted:

Pixel Cross Adventures isn't on Switch :(

edit: because it's spelled Piczle

I'm really bad at spelling Switch game names recently. :negative:

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Well after doing the Great Ikazuchi quest I can safely say Monster Hunter Rise isn't for me. There's too much poo poo going on, everything is needlessly complicated, and it's just hard to keep track of anything. I would say I'll just stick with 3U but...swimming quests are the worst, so I'll just remember the good times I had with Monster Hunter and leave it to the die hard fans.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

SeANMcBAY posted:

I don’t know how you can say it’s needlessly complicated compared to 3U. It’s pretty much the same but with better movement and no segmented map.

There's much more button combos that I have to deal with and the menu is unwieldy. I've wasted at least six potions just trying to choose something in the goddamn item menu because I keep accidentally pressing the "use item" button. There's also dog commands and the loving wirebug thing, and also a silkbug thing? And there's riding monsters which I already said I think is absolutely terrible and the worst thing in the game. And I still can't figure out how to charge my goddamn hammer when it was one button in the 3U, this one I probably have to press like two shoulder buttons and then a face button or some poo poo. I can't even figure out how to pause the game! Pausing the game should be the easiest loving thing to do and I can't figure out how to do it! And I do not accept "Press the home button" as an answer.

It's just needlessly complicated, like I said. I fully admit I'm dumb but I can only remember so many things. This is why I never got into fighting games either.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

John Lee posted:

-You only have to remember dog commands when riding the dog AFAIK? And you can just Not Do That, you don't have to bring a dog and can replace him with a cat, or nothing

There's like a whole menu with commands like "pet" and "sic" or whatever and I brought it up accidentally once but hell if I can tell you how.

quote:

-Fair to not like the monster riding, but it's been in every game since 3U in different forms, and it's not really confusing

It was to me because the game kept telling me "Do an evade!" and I kept doing an evade for about two minutes and wondered if the demo was bugged because it wasn't marking it as completed, until I realized there's two different evades and I was doing the wrong one. Also I'm completely unsure if attacking only works when you're moving or not, because I remember the game saying "Attack this other monster!" and I kept trying but it seems like it didn't work about half the time. I also have no idea what pressing X + A when your meter is full does because I did it and all that happened is I fell off the bear and the game went "Congrats you did it!" and ended the tutorial and it just left me confused.

Also holding a button just to move is loving stupid. Why do I have to hold R? Just let me use the stick like when I'm not on a monster!

quote:

-Charging your drat hammer has been the same controls in all MH games, it's still one button and it's the same button

Doesn't seem like it to me. R makes you dash and L causes you to fumble awkwardly with the item menu. As far as I can remember from 3U charging the hammer was holding the R button.

SeANMcBAY posted:

We’ll just have to agree to disagree. I think monster riding kicks rear end.

Hey no worries. I'm perfectly willing to admit that it's probably just one of those things that isn't for me, especially since everyone else seems to love it. And I hope they enjoy it! It's definitely a nice looking game, and combat does seem to be a little more friendly. At least, I was able to dodge cancel out of some lengthy animations in the demo that it feels like I probably couldn't have dodged out of in 3U, which definitely makes the hammer a lot easier to handle.

I have plenty of games to keep me occupied without Monster Hunter anyway. Still going through World of Final Fantasy (I think I'm in the final dungeon though), and after that I have Bug Fables downloaded, as well as a copy of Dragon Quest Builders 2. And I never did finish Digimon Cyber Sleuth or Mario + Rabbids.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

John Lee posted:

Anyways, if you're not feelin' it for any reason, that's cool and you do you, I just think things have gotten only marginally more complex since 3U, so it's a weird complaint.

To be fair, it has been like six or seven years since I played 3U and that's practically a lifetime ago. :v: Mostly the things that are throwing me are: the addition of the dog/cat since I only played single player in 3U. I remember there was a little mask dude who'd come with you on missions? Maybe? But he was pretty different from the dog/cat which are all up in the enemy's faces and make it difficult for me to keep track of what's going on sometimes. Riding monsters also definitely wasn't in 3U, nor the wire/silk bug things which just feel unnecessary and complicated to me since they end up as "another meter to keep track of" in addition to the three you already needed to watch.

Also the bugs feel complicated. I know that really they're not, they just provide a small buff to stats for a bit (or maybe permanently for some?), but they're everywhere it makes the game feel...I dunno, crowded? Like 3U to me felt a bit more open and almost lonely to an extent, searching out resource points and going "Oh neat here's a thing" when I found one, whereas this feels like "Here's fifty different things on the way to the monster." It also doesn't help I don't know what some do. I found a small cave with some bugs and they kept saying +10 when I grabbed them but I don't know what they were increasing. I assume they were good but I generally don't like just grabbing things in games and going "Well I don't know what this does but it's helping me."

And I know these seem like weird and minor complaints and some of them can even be solved by "Just ignore it" like the other poster mentioned not having to bring a dog, but for whatever reason my brain just can't get over them. Especially since I feel like some things (like monster riding) probably can't just be ignored and they'll be required to do or unlock certain things much later.

e: Not a real complaint and I was fine with it in 3U but I'll still never get over the fact that you need to sharpen the hammer. Wouldn't want the hammer to get dull, after all. You already can't block when you're using the hammer so I feel like not having to sharpen it either would be a fair trade but eh. It's just silly to me, and funny.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Sad Panda posted:

Someone recommended Pizcle Cross Adventure so I gave it a go. I didn't get too far. The picross puzzle interface seems so clunky even on the smaller ones (only got as far as the shop to get the map) after playing the Jupiter games that I gave up. I've not 100%d Picross S3, I'd rather do that.

The default appearance of the puzzle grids is admittedly not great. In the options menu you can make it look more normal, and even change the colors if you want.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Sad Panda posted:

I didn't look there. Might see if it can be improved. Is there anyway to mark squares as maybe? Only seemed to be able to say it is or isn't a square. It just felt clunky.

The big problem is that the default appearance for the picross grids is supposed to be a retro CRT effect, and you can turn that off in the options for sure, it's one of the first things I did.

There isn't a way to mark squares as "maybe" unfortunately, it's based a lot more on like Mario Picross where you can't do that either. Actually now that you mention it I think the Jupiter games are the only ones I've played where you can mark squares as "maybe." But yeah the Piczle games are definitely missing a lot of the polish the Jupiter games do, and feel more like the original Game Boy Picross or the one for Super Famicom, which can feel a bit dated for sure.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Mr Phillby posted:

PictoQuest however I found kinda lacking. There's no world map or exploration and even less of a story than in PiczleCross. You progress along a mario style stage select map and basically play standard picross puzzles with a fairly inconsequential battle system on top.

PictoQuest is pretty meh, though it has some fantastic music which nobody has uploaded to Youtube, which is a drat shame.

quote:

If you have the patience of saint and a 3DS it's basically free picross too.

In addition to Pokemon Picross, there's also the Twilight Princess Picross game for 1000 Platinum Points on the My Nintendo site. It's a lot of fun and also basically free.

I think Pokemon Picross was the last one to have Micross puzzles which I miss, Clip Picross just isn't as good imo.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

I hated the way the town was laid out in Stardew, HM/SoS have pretty easy to remember town layouts where you can very easily find where something is. I also hate that time still passes when you're inside buildings. Yeah, I know HM/SoS started doing that too at some point but I hate it there too.

Casu Marzu posted:

I never had an SNES as a kid so I thought it was time to play LttP and :lol: I never really realized how much more handholding modern games do at the beginning of a game.

When I repurchased LttP all the way back on the Wii VC I played it for the first time in probably ten years and died, and I was like "Oh, wow, when was the last time I died in a Zelda game?" I hadn't actually died in a Zelda game after Majora's Mask.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Oh hey, I always kind of was interested in Captain Toad but the price seemed a bit too steep for what it was, but I'll probably pick it up now that it's on sale with a bunch of DLC.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

SMB3 is bad because you could say it's just a remake of SMB with more content.

Anyway this may sound like a dumb question but I know that the Switch can be weird about some things so I just want to make absolutely sure. I preordered Persona 5 Scramble but my SD card doesn't have enough space on it and I've kind of hit the limit on stuff I can remove to make space. There's no problem with buying another SD card and swapping between them depending on what game I want to play right? If I try to start a game but I don't have its SD card in at that moment what does the Switch do?

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Downloaded the demo for Pixel Puzzle Makeout League and it seems like it isn't what the eShop blurb kind of sells it as, which is "dating sim with puzzles." At least so far I haven't seen any dating sim type stuff, that's kind of what made me disinterested in it. After the first set of puzzles it put me on four branching paths so I guess it's less "choose the right responses in the dialog" and more "pick a person you think seems cool" for who you date. The music is pretty good too.

I'm also thinking about getting that Metroid style Touhou game. I've heard it's pretty good I think?

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

I bought a new SD card for my Switch. I guess nothing is preventing me from just shoving that in my system and redownloading everything I bought...aside from the time it would take. So I'm procrastinating, but I don't have long to do that since I need to have the card ready to go for when P5 Scramble is released.

Lester Shy posted:

Any suggestions for games that benefit from the pickup-and-put-down handheld playstyle?

There's Super Kirby Clash where you can do a couple of fights in a few minutes, but it's hard to recommend fully because it's one of those "free to start" games where if you're not paying real money to get apples, you soon need a ridiculous amount for how many you get for free. It is capped at forty dollars if you do spend money though, so it's not like you can spend half your paycheck on it.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Araxxor posted:

More often than not the pad itself will just get torn off if you're a bit too rough with the 3DS circle pad, but that's not super common, though it is a sizeable possibility.

Yeah my 3DS had the rubber on the circle pad tear off, it sucks. It also had a busted D pad where it wouldn't accept inputs for about twenty seconds after I started playing a game.

My old 3DS had a busted L button too, that's what got me to buy a new one, because having a busted L button made Bravely Default too much of a hassle to play.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Speaking of which I heard today there were four levels in Captain Toad based on 3D World levels in the Wii U version, and they got removed from the Switch version and replaced by four levels based on Odyssey levels. That really annoys me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Make sure you let the Switch format the new memory card before you copy everything over on the computer.