Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I love my Switch. I play it on my lunch breaks, I play it at home. My wife and I play Splatoon 2 together online because we each have our own Switch. We have parties where our friends bring their Switches over and we play eight-player Mario Kart. It’s good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

404notfound posted:

I just found out TWEWY won't let you use joycon and touch controls simultaneously. Wasn't that the whole point of the original?

It’s basically a port of the iOS version which replaced the dual screen control scheme and puck passing with just simply having your partner be someone you can summon in battle I believe.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

XBC2 is great I have like 230 hours in it and haven’t done NG+ or Torna yet. They’ve patched out a lot of the little annoying things which I somehow suffered through for my first play through and made it a much better game. Would recommend.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Hey thread, BestBuy is selling two Labo kits for $99 and I am interested in getting them for my nephew. He is turning 5 in January (so I was gonna do one kit for Xmas and one for his birthday). I’m worried it might be too complicated for him in spite of the fact that he’s very advanced for his age. Does anyone have experience with Labo who could advise me? Will he be too young?

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

The Bloop posted:

1. Do you mean actually advanced for his age or every family thinks their kid is a super genius advanced for his age?
2. Will there be close and invested adult supervision?

I really think that a super interested and helpful adult is of paramount importance, as is making "labo time" an always 100% adult involved activity. It's a commitment that you'd be making probably for the parents rather than yourself (if you don't want the thing destroyed in a week) so I'd make sure that they're OK with it. Gifts for kids that make more work for the parents can be pretty lovely.

If yes though, it's pretty drat great.

I mean I don’t have any quantifiable test score or something showing his intelligence. He started negotiating with adults by making well-reasoned arguments at like age 2 which we all thought was crazy. He can read a little bit and this could be a chance to help him with that. He is pretty lacking in patience though so that would make it tough. I’m certainly willing to sit down with him and work on a kit but I will for sure ask his parents first. He really loves video games and also crafts and I thought this could be a great way to bridge that gap and make his video game time more educational and creative.

We are also worried about him potentially destroying it but with an adult working closely he should be okay.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Don’t forget system seller Steel Diver

They released OoT 3D at some point but there wasn’t much else going for it until after the price drop.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I bought that game on sale and haven’t played it. But I want to.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

My 4-year-old nephew has been unlocking characters in Smash by himself because he is some kind of crazy Wunderkind.

So what I’m saying is, get Smash for your kid.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

VampiricGiraffe posted:

Thanks all for the recs. Probably gonna give disgaea V a shot first.

And yes, I’m basically looking for ways to kill time til SMT V releases

I mean I know it isn’t turn-based but Xenoblade Chronicles 2 is good and has hundreds of hours of content, including a really really good DLC standalone prequel. The story is decent although it gets extremely dumb at points. I would recommend it if you like JRPG’s.

Edit:

Barudak posted:

Ahahahahahha no.

Just buy Vesperia in two weeks.

Oh gently caress yaaaas Tales of Vesperia is amazing get that too.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Giant and Metal is great, if you can get Mumkhar early on and enhance him into Metal Face you’ll be set for a while.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Octopath is on sale so I finally bit the bullet and picked it up. I played the demo as the huntress but I heard starting with the thief is good because you can open locks earlier. So I will probably do that? I guess I can use that save and just unlock him next.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Polyakov posted:

It's not neccesary at all, I recommend picking the character you like the look of the most as they will always be in your party.

So I always have to have huntress in my party if I use that save? That sucks, her special power seems not that great. That seems like a bad mechanic but whatever.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I’ve been checking a lot of places to see if Kirby Star Allies would ever go on sale, and it hasn’t. I can use my BestBuy GamerClub plus some credits to get it for like $30, that’s probably worth it right?

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Let’s not forget the insanely bad pricing of the Smash 4 DLC. You ended up paying something insane like an additional $70 for all of it.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I picked up Necrodancer in anticipation of Cadence of Hyrule but I am a little confused by it. I get rouge-likes but I feel like I don’t understand what sense of progress I am supposed to be getting. I’m on zone 3 with Cadence and right now it feels more like bashing my head against a wall than anything. I don’t get many diamonds because I usually die quickly. I rescued all the people in zone 2 so I can buy upgrades to start with but I usually die regardless so it feels like a waste. If there’s a dragon on a floor I die like 95% of the time. Should I be grinding easier levels to get diamonds to unlock better equipment/more hearts? Even unlocking better equipment is no guarantee that you will even get it and the starting equipment is so bad I am usually at low health by the time I get a good weapon. Also I don’t really understand the point of the Janitor? Is there an in-game manual I missed?

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Chin Strap posted:

Practice using the Arenamaster. Dragons especially are hard and you need to learn how to circle around them correctly. There are video tutorials if you need it.

The real game mode is All Zone Mode, the individual zones are actually harder because you start with base gear, and base gear + more hearts is not as good as great gear + fewer hearts. The zone modes are more for just some practice, but if you feel like you are banging your head against a wall too much just start doing All Zone Mode and start seeing how far you get. If you make it to Zone 3 it will actually be somewhat easier.

Do I not need to play through the zones individually to unlock the harder ones? Can I do that in all zones mode? If that’s the case I will just start playing in all zones mode. Makes me nostalgic for the days of the Ancient Cave in Lufia II.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

ItBreathes posted:

Yeah, all zones is just all zones, one after another. It even unlocks the zones you get to for single zone play.

Well poo poo.

And all items appear there, even if I haven’t unlocked them in the shop? :psyduck: then what’s the point of the shops?

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Chin Strap posted:

To have a small metaprogression for individual level mode.

Do the hearts and multiplier and extra chests hat I bought count for all zones mode?

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Golgo13 posted:

I would like a level editor designed for Necrodancer, Enter the Gungeon or Darkest Dungeon that could enable people to design a well paced, challenging, story driven game with predetermined drops within the exact same games. Literally the exact same games but without the randomised roguelite side.

If the idie companies would make this a level editing system they won't even have to bother making it themselves.

Of course I have no idea how hard it would be to make a user friendly level editor to n these games.

Have you ever played Lufia II?

This is a baffling design choice, then.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Reminder that if you don’t max level Aerith and get her ultimate and final limit before Disc 1 ends you aren’t playing the game at all.

Her final limit would be so hilariously broken if you could use it past disc 1

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Is there a thread for Yoshi?

I preordered it and played the demo, but I’m still curious about people’s first impressions. The reviews pretty uniformly say that it’s beautiful and chill but doesn’t ever really get difficult.

I thought Yoshi’s Island got pretty tough by the final world (especially if you’re going for 100%) so I’m surprised that they’ve never been able to recapture that level of difficulty.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Oh, they recaptured it in Woolly World. Getting from start to finish is generally easy. Getting to the end with 100% on some levels is brutal. And the last world does indeed start to throw a few challenges at you.

And then there's the S-Level in each world, which is just Nintendo taking the kid gloves off and laughing cruelly at the player, daring them to give in and use the Winged mode or bring in a friend to help, because they are fundamentally unworthy to pass it on their own merit :unsmigghh:.

I don’t remember Wooly World being that difficult. I recall there being several hidden balloons and things that were nearly impossible to find without a guide, in a bad way.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Macaluso posted:

The bonus stages were pretty difficult, especially if you were going for the collectibles

Maybe they were, but I don’t remember them being on the same level as “Poochy ain’t stupid”

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Ineffiable posted:

Wasn't it dissidia final fantasy that had that plot about the crystals or whatever?

They both did, but handled them very differently. FFIV The After Year’s basically retcons every previous game and it’s extremely bad.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Mega64 posted:

FF2 doesn’t have crystals either, just dead people.

I tried to play that dawn of souls extra part but I unequipped all my extra characters before they died so I literally couldn’t even beat the first battle.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

FFX has a great story even if the VA isn’t great.

I like the stories of FFVI and FFVII a lot, in spite of the second half of FFVI basically throwing out the plot.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

My rankings:

FFVI
FFVII
FFX
FFV
FFIX
FFIV
FFX-2
FFXV
FFXIII-2
Lightning Returns
FFXIII
FFXII
FFVIII
FFIII
FFI
FFII

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Supercar Gautier posted:

FF7 and FF9 both have this problem where the introductory plot and aesthetic give way to something else that isn't as fun. In 7 it's like "hell yeah punk eco-terrorists fighting the corporate overlords", but then that gets ditched so you can chase a supervillain around the world. In 9 it's like "hell yeah fanciful muppet-y swashbuckling adventures", but then there's mostly a bunch of death and it finishes on an awkwardly-explained sci-fi nonsense plot.

What was even the deal with the final boss in 9? "Hey, good job killing the villain. I was watching from the bleachers and I noticed you all fight and die a lot, so here's me dropping in to threaten all existence. That's MY thing, I guess."

Basically they destroy the crystal and it unleashes Necron, a terrible being who wants to destroy everything? I think? Idk. He was trapped in the Crystal and Kuja was tying to release him to get revenge on Garland or some poo poo I don’t really know.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I would probably like Crafted World more if I didn’t try to do all of the box guy’s requests the first time I do a world. It gets tedious. I have been using them as an excuse to grab flowers/red coins I missed the first time through but beyond that it’s a slog.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I know Yoshi’s Crafted World isn’t very difficult to beat (although some of the I Spy poo poo in the levels can be frustrating) but goddamn the boss challenges seem nuts. Beat the end boss without getting hit once? :stare:

The end boss owns, btw. The last set of levels before the end boss are also good. I haven’t played the bonus world yet but I assume it’s also good.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Lmao the first bonus level in Yoshi’s Crafted World is a series of rollers over a death pit and if you fall you have to start the whole level over and lose everything you picked up :laugh: finally a real challenge.

Edit: I would love it if they patched in a hard mode where you can’t equip costumes and falling in a pit is instant death. Then it might feel like a real platformer.

Blackbelt Bobman fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Apr 9, 2019

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

The secret boss in Yoshi’s Crafted World is extremely good although I am bad at the giant robot controls. That’s one complaint I have about the game. I would have liked to have seen more use of stuff like the giant robot instead of every single level being a one-off gimmick.

I would pay Nintendo for DLC of more levels like the secret world and another hard boss. It’s good stuff.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

The digital version of M+R that comes with the DLC goes on sale sometimes

Anyway the DLC campaign is pretty fun if you liked the main game. And having the DLC weapons makes the main campaign much more tolerable.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Alan_Shore posted:

All of Octopath's stories are pretty average to bad. I haven't finished them all yet but so far Tressa and Olberic's last bosses were barely even related to their stories and introduced in the last chapter. I'm sure they won't be the last either.

Olberic’s final boss is the man who orchestrated the fall of Hornberg, which is like the most important event in Obleric’s life so I’m not really sure why you think that isn’t significant.

Tressa... is Tressa. She does whatever she wants and her story is kinda random.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I’m kind of frustrated to learn that they added new features to the Switch/XBone versions of FFXII that they probably won’t patch into the PS4 version. I bought it on PS4 for cheap before they announced it for Switch but haven’t had a chance to play it yet. I would love to be able to reset jobs/license boards and save multiple Gambit setups but I’m not going to buy the game again.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Over There posted:

Animal Crossing hype

Since they announced Animal Crossing for the Switch, every time I tell my wife a bit of video game news she replies, “that’s great, when does Animal Crossing come out?”

Today she texted me “so since Pokémon got its own direct, the one next week will be all about Animal Crossing, right?”

If they don’t spend at least 15 minutes on AC and give a release date I will be mad.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I downloaded Collection of Mana and forced myself to play through Final Fantasy Adventure since I’ve never beaten it. Hot take: it really has not aged well. The hit detection is extremely janky, the music is mostly awful and the dungeons are horribly designed. A few hours into the game they are each a massive sprawling series of rooms with one correct path and several decoy paths that either lead to dead ends or loop you back to earlier in the dungeon. The worst thing is the locked door/key stuff. You can either buy keys or get certain enemies to drop them (which is rare) but if you’re in a dungeon and hit a locked door but don’t have a key you either have to find an enemy that drops them or backtrack all the way to the closest town to buy some more. Do yourself a favor and skip it unless you really want to see the origins of the systems that get greatly improved in later titles (charging powerful attacks, different weapons having practical applications outside battle, choosing stats upon level up, etc.).

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Nintendo just made a FB post about enjoying the sunshine before Summer ends.

It’s doubly mean because there’s a pic of a Smash series Isabelle amiibo, which sold out before I could get one!!!

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

My friend legitimately had this game. I’ve played it, it’s awful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Deadly Premonition 2... I’m hyperventilating rn