Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

There’s a dude who gives you a helmet or something for catching lizards on the path before the environment starts causing damage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Everybody buy child of light so that it’ll maybe get a sequel some day

That game is so good

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Turpitude posted:

Gimme a half assed review of it because I am thinking I might get

You’re Aurora from sleeping beauty, but instead of sleeping you’re banished to a shadow realm sort of thing and you need to fight to rescue your dad from evil witch stepmom. Combat is turn based jrpg-ish with a fun mechanic to disrupt enemy moves. There’s also a socketing system for upgrading health/damage/etc as you collect and refine gemstones. That part is basically the diablo socketing mechanic. Movement is 2d side scrolling; you approach enemies from behind to get the drop on then.

The art is all watercolor-ish and is beautiful. I can’t stress enough how great the backgrounds, animations, etc are. The writing is pretty good- you of course make friends to add to your party, solve villages’ problems, and all that standard sort of JRPG stuff along the way. There’s a pretty standard - but well done - leveling mechanic where you can level your moves, get new moves, etc. It’s maybe 10 hours long?

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Barudak posted:

a fighting system wholesale lifted from the Grandia which is absolutely not a bad thing.

Sounds like I need to play Grandia!

I beat The Way tonight and boy howdy did that game go to poo poo at the end. Retro-flavored games should not make the switch chug.

The first two thirds were a lot of fun, though!

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Super No Vacancy posted:

whats hidden folks

Not much, what’s hidden with you?

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Barudak posted:

Solve crimes in heaven, tiny duder

Wait is there a game where you play a dog that solves crimes? Cause I want that game (I have no idea who that dog is)

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Ah cool, thanks folks! I should probably play Ghost Trick! I remember being excited when it first came out a million years ago and then never played more than the first couple of screens in the demo

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

I got the armor set from the season journey with my necromancer and went to get it with my crusader, but it turns out you can’t get the reward for multiple characters

That’s a bit of a bummer, because now I don’t have near as much incentive to play (until next season)

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Well did you get it?

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

That satisfye grip is pretty great. I can play without destroying the big joint in my thumb now within ~20 minutes! I still have some wrist and forearm pain, but I suspect that’s more from work stuff (though playing switch certainly doesn’t help matters, even with the grip)

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Your Computer posted:

I wish Diablo didn't eat the battery quite as fast because I'd love to be able to play for just a little bit longer each session but man, it's perfect for the Switch and I've somehow already spent like 40 hours in it

Same! I’ve leveled two characters to 70 (necromancer and crusader). I’m on the fence if I wanna upgrade my legendary gems, level more characters, or buy Skyrim.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

The Nintendo eshop is cheaper than amazon

What is going on on this crazy mixed-up world???

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

In the past 15 minutes my crusader got a flail that makes blessed hammer do 2x damage and doubles its attack speed and one that makes the shield throw take no wrath and increases its damage by 3xx percent

Diablo legendaries are so weird and awesome. Id forgotten how much I like it

E: aaaaand there’s the sweep attack shield to go with my sweep attack flail. Jeeze, my necromancer got like one cool necromancer-specific legendary weapon. The RNG is being much nicer for crusader 🤷‍♀️

Achmed Jones fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Nov 24, 2018

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Your Computer posted:

and then you have set bonuses like the current season set which increases sweep attack by 3000% as well as making it swing like 200 times per second :shepface:

things rapidly go bonkers in the most insane way once you start getting these sorts of things

My regret from opening the caches on my necromancer knows no bounds :negative:

I swear I thought I could get it more than once 😭

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Cosmic star heroine is on sale for like $4 for Vita, but it’s $15 for switch. Is there any compelling reason to go with the switch version? I only play handheld mode

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Mak0rz posted:

That title belongs to Ōkami's bark button. Sorry.

Jeeze it was just on sale and I didn’t go for it, and NOW I find this out?

What a terrible mistake I’ve made D:

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Wait I can sell my copy of Mario Kart for MSRP or close to it? I bought physical and I’ve been regretting it ever since

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Reminder that you don’t have to do the campaign on the switch version of diablo. I’d recommend doing it once just to say you did if you never played it on another platform, but you can skip straight to adventure mode if you want to

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Aerofallosov posted:

Is the switch just fine without having a TV to play it on? I'm looking at saving for a switch, but my TV is ancient.

Yup. My dock isn’t plugged into the TV, and I can count the number of times I’ve played on a TV on one hand.

Some games have text that’s too small in handheld mode (the only one I’ve seen is Warframe) but it’s super minor and also rare. Also if your eyes don’t suck it probably won’t bother you (but my eyes suck so 🤷‍♀️)

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Regy Rusty posted:

As such you're not gonna wander into places you're not ready for without serious sequence breaking.

This is mostly true except: don’t accidentally fall into deepnest from fungal wastes when you lack a light source, many upgrades, etc. it was not a fun journey back

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Astro7x posted:

Watcher Knight, even with the chandelier trick, was probably the hardest boss fight in that game

No way the evil mantis dude is way harder.

Source: I can’t beat him (I never did try any of the cheese strategies this thread recommended, by that time I’d lost interest v_v)

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Cojawfee posted:

Haha I just got the pun with hearty meals in BotW.

My god it’s full of stars

I think somebody’s gonna revoke my dadcard, I’ve shamed fathers everywhere

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Ciaphas posted:

well now i just want to gently caress a sandwich :mad:

Buddy...

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

1. I’ve been playing diablo season 17 and it’s fun

2. Just picked up Skyrim, it will be fun

3. Before diablo I was playing baba is you and it was fun but I think I’m done with it now

4. I got necrodancer cause it was $4 and I’m gradually buying all the games I care about that I had on Vita for Switch. It will be fun too.

I also got nba2k19 cause it was $3. I doubt that it will be fun but I wanted to give it a shot.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Just play the bard

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

I played Skyrim today. It was fun

Last week I got one of those Switch branded Anker battery packs, too, so I’m pretty much set

Handheld Skyrim feels magical

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Coxswain Balls posted:

What's another relaxing game I can dump a hundred+ hours into? Just finished BotW and before that Stardew Valley.

Diablo 3

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Coxswain Balls posted:

Can I make friends with the monsters? I enjoyed finding the moblin mask and being all "how do you do fellow moblins". I freaked out when I found out you can feed them steaks and then they'll start following you around.

Sadly, no

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Fallom posted:

I hope Nintendo doesn’t get the wrong impression from weirdos trying to collect them all.

The impression Nintendo got from the success of the virtual console and PSN and Xbox live as competitors was nesflix. There is no relationship between an event and what actions Nintendo takes on the basis of that event.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

On paper, you’re being weird as hell about this

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

There’s a fight in Smash where there’s dr Mario, a bunch of Snakes that spam explosives, only explosive items spawn, and the stage is full of explosion hazards. It is aggressively unfun. My question is, why? Is there someone that enjoys that sort of thing? Or maybe a spirit that makes it a test of skill rather than an rng fest?

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Cool, thanks folks! I’ll keep my eye out for a good spirit and just let that fight sit for now

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

loudog999 posted:

the Satisfye is the way to go.

Confirmed

Source: am an old fart with lovely wrists

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

How could anyone know that? Wait and see!

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

I want a goose amiibo

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Difficult combat in botw sounds terrible to me. Just the absolute opposite of what I want from that game. But I mean, I’m glad it exists so that people with different (wrong) preferences can enjoy the Best Game Ever Made, even if it’s for objectively incorrect and morally suspect reasons

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Steve2911 posted:

It's literally the whole point of the game.

I very much enjoyed the narration, but this is silly.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

I bought revenge of the bird king for nine cents and it was a great purchase.

I bought neon drive for like ten bucks a few weeks ago and it was not.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Not gonna lie, I asked about grips in this thread and some wonderful people linked me the satisfye and it is without a doubt the best video game accessory I’ve ever purchased

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Huxley posted:

I slowly have discovered that I don't really want a big sandbox, I want an amusement park

That’s a really good way to put it, and is also how I feel