Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Cage Kicker posted:

I always thought the hallway in Mandalorian was that, but it just showed how similar Luke and Anakin really were. I had always sort of hoped Luke would be the Big Bad for a sequel trilogy since I was little.

That sort of thing will never happen, since Rian Johnson making Luke little bad made the fandom lose their poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Just watched the "Double Agent Droid" episode of Rebels last night, focused on Chopper and AP-5. I love them both, and I love Rebels' "filler" episodes.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zlpptGADtnY

I find it wild that people seem to have unironically wanted to spend the entire premiere of a new Disney series on this taken for granted trivial thing.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Why cool helmet man not just shoot everyone? :confused:

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Jerkface posted:

It was worth it for a space vespa crashing through a big painting of jabba held by 2 people moving it through the street. Great gag.

It reminded me of Solo, which is not a positive comparison.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Star Wars was a mistake.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Hazo posted:

Of course this is all true, I just simply can't wrap my mind around seeing a youth street gang with brightly colored vehicles and thinking "they must be hella gay libs forced down our throat by SJW Rodriguez."

Like the Fast and Furious franchise is mindlessly dumb but I don't think a bunch of fragile dudes watched them and immediately trashed them to being too homoerotic (they super are).

One of them is a woman and one of the guys isn't white.

That's it.

Jehde fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Jan 18, 2022

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Brawnfire posted:

Because in Clone Wars and Rebels they keep shooting probe droids that are speeding away from their secret locations and treating it like it's a success.

I think in those shows the deal is that the probe droids need to return to their drop pods to transmit back to command. It's conceivable that probe droid technology advanced and they just started putting the transmitters right on them.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

"It's a reference to real life!" is a pretty weak defence of something in a sci-fi. Shiny mopeds stick out like a sore thumb on grungy tatooine, simple as. I kinda liked the explanation that they're rich kids from coruscant or whatever, but that didn't end up working out. Would've been better if they just did some more design passes on the mods instead of stopping at "what if a specific niche historical british sub culture, but hover scooters"

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Darth TNT posted:

I'm going through Mandalorian for the first time. I'm currently at episode 6. It's been an enjoyable romp so far even if it's oddly aimless.
It somehow reminds me a little of the old Xena/Hercules series I used to watch. Just a "hero" going from town/planet to town/planet and "solving" the problems there while toting around someone who depends on the "hero".

There's a very clear aim for the mandalorian: Sell baby yoda merchandise.

The xena/hercules comparison is totally apt though, and it's not a bad thing.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

She's got nice thighs and wears some sort of pants that accent them.

Inquisitors ain't sith. Sith is a whole religion thing, inquisitors are just force sensitive cops.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

The airspeeders showed up and did their thing pretty quickly, probably just wasn't enough time to scramble the TIEs. I bet an airspeeder has no problem outpacing a TIE ion engine in the atmosphere.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Anita Dickinme posted:

Nerds just love to hate poo poo and I personally believe half the people in this thread are just saying it sucks so they can seem cool.

Meanwhile I love that I get to watch this great show and enjoy people that seem to hate this show still waste their life away watching it each week. :allears:

It really is a pretty sweet 2-for-1 deal.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Seldom Posts posted:

those that have a weird expectation that he was just going to be a kick rear end cool guy when the whole point of return of the Jedi was that he learned that that wasn't a thing to aspire to.

(And also the point of the prequels.)

It's this. Seeing fans feel righteous about it can be pretty funny.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

I wonder if Hayden Christensen was timid to return to acting for Star Wars for some reason, but the teasing out of his relatively limited performance worked well for me.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

I like TLJ and it's cool. My favourite star war TV show where fun is most certainly prohibited.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

exmarx posted:

nice to see him shout out babylon berlin in that interview

He's right about the first couple seasons of Babylon Berlin being amazing. The show continues to be good, but it kinda starts with a bang as he describes. If you're into neo-noir/political thriller, and can deal with german/subs, and maybe have a bit of interest in weimar history, I highly recommend checking it out. You can kinda think of it as a german Peaky Blinders, just less gangster work, more detective work.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Jerkface posted:

Look if Andor is sick AF AND i get a beautifully animated Ghibli star wars I will fully loving mark out.

There was a leak of something about Grogu which was supposed to drop in november according to an Italian TV guide but maybe thats it? I would want a full series or movie out of them but I'll take a short.

Grogu but animated like a Ghibli old lady:

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

That battle droid's "Mm-hmm :doubt:" to the imperial governer was great.

This animation keeps looking ridiculously good in every scene.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

I seem to be a sucker for most any kind of motorsport in star wars, add "riotracing" to the list I guess.

The starfighter racing they did at the spaceport in Resistance was one of the three things I liked that they did with that show. ("Fascism is bad m'kay" childhood lessons and the animation rendering style are the other two.)

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Escobarbarian posted:

pretty big croc

Spinning is always a good trick in star wars.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Has anyone noticed that Bo-Katan's Gauntlet works the same way as Mara Jade's Shrike?

I've posted about this in the early FPS thread before. I grew up with Kyle Katarn and Mara Jade being my Star Wars heroes, with the video games being my formative Star Wars experience. But I've come to peace with the fact that that version of Star Wars has concluded. I'm okay, and even pleased, to see winks and nods to my old favourite characters showing up in new characters that I like. (Kanan Jarrus mostly being a Kyle Katarn surrogate, Kyle's Bryar pistol showing up as Cassian Andor's sidearm of choice, etc.)

BIG HEADLINE posted:

My guess is "always wearing the armor is a good way to allow her to not have to spend months getting in 'movie shape' for a streaming show."

Probably the same for Pedro in that respect.

Looked like Pedro was sporting a dad gut under his front plate on one angle when he was getting out of his ship.

This week's episode was genius in its craft of having Pedro Pascal dad-splain everything to baby yoda. The show is just so good at capturing every demographic. I'm good to have a more character development focused episode to break up the adventure of the week.

It was also a good episode to air on International Women's Day, having Bo-Katan being a bad rear end saving Din's dumb rear end.

Bugblatter posted:

Both shows are so different that they don't really affect my view of each other.

It feels like I'm reading people argue if SNES or Genesis is better, when I'm a spoiled kid who just has both.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Jerkface posted:

Wow this Bad Batch episode is fire. The blade runner score comes in huge again, just makes the entire thing pop. Seeing the kind of characterization we get out of the clones this episode makes their inclusion in the prequels so worth it.

The warm glow of the animation style over the edifices of Coruscant can also give pretty good Blade Runner vibes now that you mention it.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Were they doing the talking stickbeskar hammer thing before?

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Going to guess someone's trying to tell you to watch it in chronological, rather than release order. Don't bother with that poo poo, just watch release order, which is what I'd guess D+ has.

The way dorks talk about how you need to watch Clone Wars in a specific fan curated way remind of the dorks that insist you can't play a S.T.A.L.K.E.R. video game unless you cake on multiple fan mods.

The best way to get an artistic entity's vision on a given intellectual property will always be to consume it the way it was originally published by the artistic entity, or republished by the artistic entity in some rare cases where that's a thing.

In the case of Clone Wars, there's highs and lows and heres and theres, but it's worthwhile to take it as a holistic vision of the clone wars.

The droid episodes are great.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

stev posted:

Yeah if you're going to watch it just watch it. There are some dud episodes but these lists that skip half the series miss out on a whole bunch of character development and interactions.

Depends what droid episodes you mean. D Squad has its moments but goes on too long. C3PO and R2's wild adventure is bad.

I was thinking D squad, but I was also conflating the Rebels' droid episodes with the Clone Wars ones in my head. R2 and 3PO ain't got poo poo on Chop and AP.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gD7dxrzs568

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

I think Katee Sackhoff does a good job of bringing a cartoon character to life. She's hitting the mark better than Rosario Dawson is so far, but we'll see how the live-action Rebels S5Ahsoka show pans out.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

So, much, Star Wars :neckbeard:

I'm hyped for basically everything, including the new video game coming out next month, and even more so for the Dark Forces inspired game that studio is going to work on next.

I binged through both Clone Wars and Rebels in 2021 for the first time, and they quickly became some of my favourite Star Wars, especially Rebels. The series explored some fun stuff in the universe, and the characters really elevated my enjoyment of the Star Wars. Sure Ezra is kinda whatever and the others can be a bit mary sue, but I grew to really like them. Hera quickly became my favourite pilot, Chopper my favourite astromech dethroning my childhood icon of R2, Sabine my favourite mando similarly dethroning Fett. And then both Kanan and Ahsoka becoming my favourite jedis that cover their respective flavours of jedi (classic vs nu) super well.

And yeah of course I was a dorky kid that thought the silent bounty hunter with a cool helmet, carbine, and jetpack in Empire Strikes Back was the coolest thing ever, and read about their weird cultural habits on wookiepedia. And now we just have an adventure of the week live action TV series that just explores that stuff.

And now they're doing HBO style heavy dramas that also explore Star Wars really well too??

I'm feeling really spoiled with the direction of Star Wars lately.

Love the Dark Jedis' sabre colour.

Jehde fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Apr 7, 2023

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

It did take me almost a full year to get through both Clone Wars and Rebels, but it was definitely worth it to me. This is watching a couple episodes (they're commonly grouped in arcs) a night, but not watching Star Wars every night.

AndyElusive posted:

I'm with you. And I gotta say, it's refreshing reading a comment like this from a goon in a thread I go to expecting to read red letter grumps hate watch Star Wars.

:respek:

Us Star Wars enjoyers are out there, we're just not hate posting constantly because we're spending our time enjoying Star Wars instead.

Jehde fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Apr 7, 2023

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Oh right, we're in next month now, only 3 weeks away now!

It's not a TV show, but I love Jedi Fallen Order for the same reason I like any Star Wars thing, the cool places and the interesting characters it explores. If you can put up with dark souls lite combat, it's a good dose of Star Wars, and the first worthwhile Star Wars videogame in a long time.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

I love how scrappy a mando fighting another mando is.

Ethics_Gradient posted:

Ashoka as a character has always come off at least a little cringe

Ahsoka is probably the character I have 180'd on the most in fiction. When you first meet her in the Clone Wars movie she's a cringey preteen. I didn't like her at first, or the relationship she was forming with Anakin. But the sheer amount of development the characters go through in the Clone Wars series, and extending into Rebels, is ridiculous. And now she's the GOAT getting her time in the prime light.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

I'll say that I am flabbergasted by the MCU. There are a few isolated movies I enjoy discretely, but I cannot jive with the overarching arcs, and Avengers Endgame is still just an unrecognizable mass culture artifact to me.

But the instant Star Wars starts to do the same thing, it's fine to me actually.

Part of this is probably because what comics I did care about were Star Wars (Tales of the Jedi and Boba Fett: Enemy of the Empire were great) and I barely cared about any other comics, Batman and Spiderman being distant alternatives.

What the MCU does is esoteric to outsiders, but when it's done to the fictional universe I grew very comfortable with, it's suddenly great in what it can accomplish for my enjoyment of that fictional universe.

Still not really sure how to process this feeling.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

AndyElusive posted:

Anyone who has a full Imperial Stormtrooper costume probably took the time and effort to make it themselves and probably did it out of love for Star Wars and not because they're some kind of Nazi gently caress. If you still think people who make Storm Trooper armor are people you have to fear in real life, check out the 501st Legion who do a lot of fundraising and charity work. These people are cool.

I take it as like 50/50 if they're just a 501st cosplaying type dork, or if they're a "I wish I were in the 501st IRL" type dork. As others have said, you kinda need corroborating factors to be sure. If the space nazi glorifier starts glorifying or sympathizing with real nazis in any way, then welp. But I am very well aware not to judge a book by its cover.

What's a bit more troubling to me is how the mythosaur skull has become Star Wars' punisher skull, and entails all the baggage of that. Very skeptical of anyone that puts a mythosaur skull or a punisher skull on their car or whatever.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Butterfly Valley posted:

cosplayers in stormtrooper costumes are?

Statistically, some of them are.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Feels like you're missing the forest for the trees, because you keep pointing at other trees.

I have a microfighter AT-AT on my desk too, no one is talking about having a lego set being problematic.

I don't assume someone that puts on a Star Wars costume is automatically a nazi IRL. If they start talking about how they don't drink Bud Light anymore, well...

I feel like I dodged this whole problem of thinking stormtroopers are cool because I'm pretty sure I first watched Star Wars and Empire Strikes Back back to back for the first time, and thus was immediately presented with an even cooler helmet. Granted mando worship has its own problems, and I've since grown out of it and feel differently about it now. Again I'm side-eyeing anyone that likes mythosaur skulls a bit too much. Someone cosplaying a mando at a convention? Whatever.

AndyElusive posted:

A dude ran over 100kms during Star Wars Celebration 2023 wearing Stormtrooper armor. He raised a bucket load of money for Make-A-Wish and Spread-A-Smile. Which is awesome.

This is good. More of this please.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

I would love to see a whole gaggle of gamorreans at a convention.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Marsupial Ape posted:

Imagine seeing a cop car with a Mythosaur decal.

With a thin blue linelightsaber blade going across it.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Great episode. I enjoyed the close up shots of the TIE bombers and interceptors in the hanger. The land-sail ship was great too, and the land-kraken that caused chaos. So, much, dorky mando tacticianing. And the hammed up sacrifice of Jon FavreauPaz Vizsla, kinda setting up his son to be the new kid Boba.

I am obviously here for Sir Mecha-Grogu, Knight of Fully Automated Luxury Gay Space Communism, Keeper of Peace of Mandalore.

This particular iteration of lower Coruscant reminded me especially of Nar Shaddaa. I'm fine with no Nar Shaddaa if I get more lower Coruscant.

Jehde fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Apr 13, 2023

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

The tension during the scene when the armorer is returning to the fleet probably isn't accidental, along with all the other things brought up that makes her go against her supposed convictions.

Doronin posted:

Although, 100% chance next week's episode is going to be a cameo-athon like we've never seen before to tee up the Ashoka series.

Yeah they kind of have to, and it will be appropriately dumb. But I am hyped for Rebels S5 live-action, so I'll definitely just be a mark for it all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Somehow, Palpatine has returned, as a mandalorian.