Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
I can’t imagine the hell that would be our politics if there were no spending limits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
There’s a dark magnificence to firing your general attorney the day after the election. Just full corrupt democracy, no fucks given.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Disenfranchising the old is bad.

There i said it :colbert:

Counter argument. If the old didn’t vote we’d be doing really well.

We’re just not very good at disenfranchising them

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
Well no it’s probably that their generation got affordable housing and decent paying jobs and gently caress us for wanting them to maybe share that.

Also Australia has mandatory voting and its not a country I’d say is doing super well democratically

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Paul.Power posted:

I really should have been paying more attention to this, but I have my ballot for the Welsh Labour leader now. Is there any reason not to vote Mark Drakeford as Welsh Labour Grassroots (Momentum's Welsh equivalent) suggests?

You wish to live in hell. Otherwise yeah vote for them seriously. Literally the only cabinet member in 2015 to support Corbyn’s leadership bid and a good lad

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

And this is why cryptic crosswords are the most tedious wastes of time on the entire planet.

Whose rereg is Cryptic Crossword?

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
"Effective Opposition" seems like a weird thing to bring out when under Corbyn this government lost its majority and is literally months away from falling apart all over again. Do you want him throwing suplexes in the chambers or what?

The idea that him coming out in support of a new Referendum would have the Conservatives going "Well Corbyn says he wants one, clearly we have to do it now" is just silly. It'd just unite the Tories and actually make it harder to shoot down Brexit. He's going to whip to vote against whatever they bring to Parliment, he's always said he will and there's literally no reason he wouldn't do it because shooting Brexit down is his best shot at a new election.

The People's Vote thing is just stupid, the Conservatives are not going to hold another Referendum, May knows if she even tried to the government would fall apart instantly. We might get a General Election when her Brexit deal fails and if Corbyn wins that then is a good time to loving yell at him to stop Brexit, but asking him to do it before an election is seriously putting the cart before the horse.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
After spending months saying he is trying to force a General Election and a referendum push would be a last resort, people lose their poo poo that Corbyn says he is trying to force a General Election instead of pushing for a People's Vote Referendum.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
I can't imagine why anyone wouldn't put much faith in Tory Brexit rebels. They've been so reliable so far.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

ronya posted:

Conference considered Corbyn's argument, already put forth before the motion vote, to focus on a new general election instead - and recognized it correctly as evasion since the Tories are hardly likely to collapse early if they can survive the Brexit storm, not when the polling promises at best yet another coalition Tory govt. If the odds of Tory rebels on Brexit are bad, the odds on Tory rebels on Tories in government are...? What is this miraculously workable plan to knock out the government? This isn't the 1970s, it's not like Comrade Corbyn is pitching government collapse via general strike (the fevered dreams of the Mail otherwise)

As has been reported a lot, May's only real way to continue being leader (and to have any policy agenda beyond 'lol I dunno') is to call and win another General Election because every sign so far points to her failing to pass a Brexit bill and being left holding the exciting question of "Do the Tories burn their own party down for a generation and do a Hard Brexit?". Or she might do a Cameron and gently caress off before it all goes to poo poo. Again.

This is also ignoring the DUP which is something we admittedly all enjoyed doing until 2017. They've made demands that make any deal that could get past the EU totally impossible, so again the Tories are faced with calling another Election or sucking a Hard Brexit and as much as they'd hate losing some seats to Corbyn those with safe seats on the Tory Benches do realise they stop becoming safe seats if the Tories end up putting the UK economy in a big bin and setting it on fire.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

ronya posted:

the mythical Tory/DUP rebels that never materialize on Brexit are no more material on the Tory leadership struggle or DUP votes on a no-confidence motion

any argument that invokes the unlikelihood of the former cannot plausibly summon the latter to save itself

The DUP have never had to rebel because, unlike the Tory Rebels, May always capitulates to them.

The issue is that of late she isn't able to capitulate to them because what they want is literally impossible.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
The accounts of people drowning in mud are the ones that stuck with me. The gassing is horrific but the stories of having to just watch as people got slowly sucked under the ground because it was impossible to pull them out are truly hosed.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

WhatEvil posted:

I can't even make out what that is.

And it is thus the perfect Brexit smiley

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

VideoGames posted:

When would her deal go to the commons? Is this something soon?

When she has the votes for it so possibly never

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
Lol the government is literally funded by Russian oligarchs but no it is Corbyn who is blocking an investigation

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Darth Walrus posted:

Is there actually any point to an elected House of Lords? Its entire purpose is to be an advisory body comprised of people with diverse areas of expertise and no fear of the government of the day getting rid of them. Now, you can argue that's elitist, but if you want to ditch it, why not just abolish the institution altogether? What purpose does a second elected body with advisory power serve?

It actually does a pretty good job of making sure laws aren’t just rammed through in a week. With our system as it is it’d be a bad idea to remove the one thing that stops legislation being rushed through before any public dissent can really build up.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
Sortition barely works for Juries where they’re hand held the entire way, it’s be a disaster for the one real check on parliament.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Aren’t they just ignoring opposition day motions? What makes them obey this one?

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

OwlFancier posted:

Unfortunately it probably isn't. If they support it and succeed they'll be the heroes of the right and the wingnut welfare might be better paid tha the labour party.

They can be deselected by members now and I can't imagine a situation in which an MP survives their CLP if they help both pass Brexit and avoid an early GE.

Even Kate Hoey has found an excuse to not vote for this, you got to be insanely brave or stupid to do it and that leaves pretty much Frank Fields.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
Arlene Foster loving up so badly she reunifies Ireland will be my one comfort if this all goes to poo poo.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
I mean we absolutely are still the EU’s problem. We might not be bigger than the EU but we are still an important part of its economy and while our crash is going to be far worse the EU crash is still going to be pretty bad.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
Nah she’s a slug, melts are the “I want Corbyn to win but I just don’t think he can because unelectable” lot

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
I thought they changed plans because they simply couldn’t find him?

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
Grow a beard and save yourself before you become a thumb.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Lol this is literally their twitter bio.

quote:

“Tyranny is the deliberate removal of nuance.” Albert Maysles.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
There's no way this passes, lol if you think the DUP won't call a No Confidence and help vote this government out if they try and get it all the way through the commons.

The Brexit Rebels might be cowards but the DUP aren't going to sacrifice the entire reason for their party existing just to help prop up this government.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

jBrereton posted:

They already got a couple billion extra quid to hand out to their mates and no trials over RHI, plus no change in their provincial abortion laws, seems like they're doing quite well out of the arrangement and could quite easily keep tapping the government up for cash forever?

Need some new light bulbs for the border scanners for a cool hundred mil or two, that kind of thing. Plus ofc the potential benefits of a customs DMZ for people opening up offices in NI to keep trading simple with the EU etc.

They'll probably pretend to be narked about this for a while though for sure.

And if the DUP were purely motivated by cash this would make sense but they're not. You're really underestimating how hardline they are on their Unionist views.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
There's a fair number of people who don't want a GE but do want Brexit to stop.

Unfortunately for them they don't really vote Labour so Corbyn isn't exactly going to go to bat for them.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
McVey resigning over this is a great way to get out before they get fired for UC. The slimy gently caress

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
The issue with more than one option is the admittance that FPTP is a bad system

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Guavanaut posted:

Why is Britain (and England especially) allergic to anything other than FPTP one cross one box?

Because it’s how the two major parties make sure the minor parties never overtake them

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Weird Jeremy Hunt is missing from that, he seems by far most likely

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Skippy McPants posted:

Man, I wish our representatives were that shouty. Do you folks ever get any good fistfights going?

There’s a long chain to it but essentially Corbyn is Labours leader because a Labour MP went off on one and started punching Tories in the Parliament bar.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
Hell yeah they are, just need that GE first

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Pretty sure America can turn itself around in a few years if young people start voting/Democrats start having spines. In a few years Great Britain is going to be so economically damaged there will be no easy recovery.

It is OK, sometimes a child has to care for their parent. I am sure we will take pity. :shobon:

The Supreme Court will kill any progressive legislation for the rest of your life, we’re not nearly as hosed sorry.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Tesseraction posted:

"...how can we do that here."

(they did do that here by purging voter rolls and *then* asking the boundary commission to redraw)

The existence of a boundary commission is already a huge departure from the US “Whoever is in charge can do whatever “ system

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
Absolutely no one wants to be Tory Leader right now and May refuses to resign or call a GE. Gonna be cool not having a government for a while.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
The Deal is basically a timeframe to organise a way to leave in, the money we’ll pay to do it and a Backstop that will kick in if we fail to do it in time. During it we’ll still have a Customs Union of sorts though NI will be even more closely aligned. The backstop can only end when both sides agree and since Ireland gets a vote it basically won’t unless they agree to a proper customs union.

The different rules for NI and Irish veto of the Backstop in particular infuriates the DUP which is a big problem for May.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
So seeing some confusion on what this deal is so here's the quick rundown in fake question form.

So is this passes we leave the EU next March right?
Sort of. Until December 2020 nothing will actually change, but we should be in that time working to implement everything about Brexit that's been discussed for the past few years. We will have left the EU, but other than not getting to vote on EU matters that's all that really changes.

Unsurprisingly the Hard Brexiters hate that.

Wait so if this passes it just means May can continue to delay and do gently caress all until the end of December 2020?
Yes. Welcome to hell.

Will EU citizens get to stay?
Yes, sort of. The UK must ensure a "smooth, transparent and simple" administrative procedure for people to stay, and application forms must be "short, simple and user friendly".

So that'll be a poo poo show then?
Oh boy will it ever.

Will there be a Customs Union and Free Movement?
Maybe? That's to be decided while in the Implementation period leading up until December 2020. Until then yes we will still have those.

What happens if by some miracle we fail to achieve anything and December 2020 comes about?
That's when the Backstop hits. This means we'll be forced to allow a Customs Union between Ireland and the Republic of Ireland.

What about the rest of the UK?
We'll have to have a Customs Union to trade with the EU, but it's not as strict as the rules placed on the Republic of Ireland because the EU doesn't really care if the Great Britain wants to gently caress itself over, but it won't allow us to cause trouble in Ireland. This will mean a border in the Irish Sea, Arlene Foster strangling May to death and Dover becoming a Lorry filled wasteland of rotting food.

What if we decide we don't want to do the backstop?
That's not an option, the Backstop can only be ended by an agreement with the UK and the EU.

Why do people hate that?
Because technically the EU can force us to stay in the Backstop forever, essentially trapping us in a Customs Union until the end of 2099 at which point the backstop runs out. Ireland is never going to allow a deal that creates any kind of hard border and the DUP will never allow a border in the Irish Sea. So the only option is a Customs Union. Which the DUP don't want either and neither do most Conservatives. So basically even if by some miracle this does pass nothing has been solved except we're now technically outside the EU and so we have technically Brexited. Technically.

What happens if we don't vote for it?
:iiam: Maybe we'll get No Deal, maybe a General Election, maybe the Conservatives will change Leader and try again, maybe we'll get an extension. Who knooooows.

Fans fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Nov 15, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Angepain posted:

I'm not watching Question Time because I don't hate myself quite that much, can someone who is and does please share the juicy gossip re: what libel was it she did? your sacrifice is appreciated

She called Corbyn an Anti-Semite.