Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Thanks 4 making thread worse for absolutely no reason i guess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

cochise posted:

Why can't they be more forceful with this idiot like this all of the time?

They are every time they get to question him.

On purpose, they almost never get to question him.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Koalas Massacre posted:

Yeah changing the legislature is a really big deal!

This is one of those wins we should be applauding.

Sad he lost, glad he ran

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Lightning Knight posted:

Is the lesson “gently caress Democrats who back Republican social policy” because I’m extremely here for that if so.

Like lol Donnelly gently caress you for throwing your Senate seat away to dogwhistle about immigrants.

The thing he did sucks but he was dead in the water regardless

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Lightning Knight posted:

Wasn’t polling showing him as up/closer before?

Even so gently caress that guy lol.

Yeah, but the polling was wrong. His final results were awful, he would have lost either way.

I would have rather had him lose the other way, mind

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

The Kingfish posted:

Its absolutely preferable that he lost the way he did. Future candidates may think twice before trying similar bullshit.

Hadn't thought of it that way

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Teddybear posted:

Well, let's see what happens with Mueller now.

If the investigation is shut down Schiff opens it up again

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Majorian posted:

"Too old" doesn't matter to me one iota, and it shouldn't matter to you or any right-thinking voter. We have a swiss cheese-brained senior citizen in the Oval Office right now, and as long as Bernie or whoever picks a good VP, it really doesn't matter.
Last i checked, there's like a 40% chance of Bernie getting severe dementia during his time in office. That actually matters a lot

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Majorian posted:

Then he steps down and President Beto or Gillum or Nina Turner comes to power.

It wouldn't happen that smoothly and would delay a lot of good things happening

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc
I just want Beto to be the next character in Overwatch

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Spaced God posted:

So Trump did this to replace sessions with someone to end Mueller's investigation before the new house is sworn in, right?

Not how that works

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Lightning Knight posted:

You guys spend so much time posting about posting and complaining that [x discussion] is occurring instead of just not engaging with posters you don't wish to argue with. It's crazy!

Like this. Stop it.

Oh my, what terrible modding

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Office Pig posted:

Just like with Moore, any such findings would have absolutely no effect anyway.

What

Are you insane, that's why he lost

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

farraday posted:

:downsrim:

https://twitter.com/parscale/status/1060715300457455617

Oh it's going to happen. I'd be surprised if we didn't get a "Lots of people" tweet before Sunday about how the elections HE won are being stolen.

drat there's going to be political violence if Simena wins

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

TulliusCicero posted:

I'm just laughing at this dumb WWE reject looking motherfucker on twitter honestly.

gently caress this idiot. He can't do poo poo.

I didn't say it would be him

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Majorian posted:

Granted, we probably would be worse in terms of relations with North Korea, but I'm not expecting the current thaw with the U.S. to last.

Bullshit.

It's not a real thaw, we'd be in exactly the same place. Trump hasn't undone anything in North Korea.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Majorian posted:

Ehhhh...he kind of has, albeit unintentionally. His completely idiotic anti-diplomacy in 2017 basically took the U.S. away from the negotiating table, allowing South Korea more of a free hand in dealing with Pyongyang. Now he's taking a lot of undue credit for how things have played out, when it's Moon and Kim who have done basically all the work. But I'm not sure it would have played out the same way under Clinton.

DPRK isn't behaving significantly different on the international stage that I've seen. Chats with Moon while they're still a brutal dictatorship doesn't change the board much.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

GoluboiOgon posted:

this picture is from 2014, obama's dhs secretary is being given a tour of a child camp.

Are you an actual Republican

Do you not understand that this was temporary due to a larger surge of unaccompanied minors, not deliberate cruelty

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Lightning Knight posted:

The fact that they're being effectively housed in a juvenile detention facility with fences rather than a welcoming and happier place is still damning against our country.

That said, laying the blame at Obama's feet is ahistorical, the current system of dealing with immigrants and refugees so cruelly dates back to at least the Clinton Administration, if not further back to the '60s.

I didn't say it was GOOD, but it sure as hell isn't the same.

And again - temporary, more caused by underfunding than by hatred, and we weren't actively trying to grow said camps like Trump is

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

1glitch0 posted:

You can go explain to a 3 year old they're locked in cage due to a large surge in United States prisoners and not deliberate cruelty.
The cages are the least problematic part of Trump's policy. The ripping away from parents is dozens of times more damaging then poor facilities.

Again, they sucked, and more should have been done to improve things, but they're extremely loving different problems

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Not a Step posted:

A message very obviously was sent, and they very obviously do care. After the fall of Clinton and the continued popularity of Sanders the newest batch of candidates at least pretend to be way more left than previous batches. All the 2020 prospectives are at least giving lip setvice to M4A, which candidate Clinton famously yelled would never ever happen. So yeah, not voting works. The signs were there that this stuff was popular *before* 2016, but the Democratic Party thought they were above such petty concerns as what the people want when they could go with the reliable 'but have you seen the other guy?'.

Do they have out pamphlets with arguments nobody has ever made so you people can all say the same things

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Not a Step posted:

Yes, Im on a mailing list.

But seriously though Im responding to people actually making the arguments you say dont exist in this very thread. You could try scrolling up.

Oh boy i love a constantly shifting reference frame where i get to take any statement my vast collection of enemies has said and pointing it at all of them, that's my favorite

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

I love how he's basically saying "you'd be racist just like me"

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Majorian posted:

West Virginia has one of the lowest voter participation rates of any state in the country. While I obviously can't say for certain that any other Democrat would win in the state, I think it's a little presumptuous to say that someone who ran hard on economic populism and was more subtle on social issues wouldn't energize those non-voters a bit more.

His voters seem to extremely love a person saying "I'm not really part of either party, I hate Washington, I am a principled centrist", as far as I can tell.

I do think that economic populism, framed correctly, could be a winning issue. I just don't think it could overwhelm the state that was only after Wyoming in Trump support to put any other Democrat in the Senate. Manchin's like a folk hero to these people at this point, it's weird and dumb.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

RaySmuckles posted:

I can't believe anyone ever thought was ever even an option. The impeachment and Russian obsessions were embarrassingly naive from the beginning.
There was a time where Trump's favorability was on a consistent downhill slope, into the low 30s in his first year, when I thought he might be impeachable if it continued. I think you could do it somewhere from 24-27% support, maybe.

But then he trended up again in January and has kinda sat there, despite the constant failures.

quote:

a lot of people underestimate Pence. The guy is a christian fascist through and through. Kavanaugh is a result of that wing of the party, so we should take them a bit more seriously
The least informed voters I know constantly say "Pence is worse than Trump", and I really still don't see it. Trump hates Latinos way more than Pence hates gays, he was about to be booted from Indiana, and I'm pretty sure he's just straight up dumb

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Stexils posted:

yeah as horrible pence's electroshock ideology is it's hampered by him being dumb and incompetent. if nothing else he wouldn't be able to rile up the base anywhere near as well.

In a hypothetical Pence dictatorship versus a Trump dictatorship, I'd probably rather have Trump. But that's not what the question is.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Majorian posted:

I think it's important to investigate, and I think there's going to be a lot of evidence that Trump is mobbed up, has made a lot of illegal business deals, has covered up a shitton of stuff, and that he's just a really horrifically corrupt individual. But it's not going to be enough to motivate enough voters to put enough pressure on enough Republican senators to remove him from office, even if the House votes to impeach. You're right that this is bigger than Watergate, but it's a different political era from 1974. Republicans are considerably more in-lockstep with one another than they were in 1974. They're more scared of their own voting bases, which are 100% behind Trump, than they are of you or me.

Most Republican Senators don't have to care, at all, what anyone who isn't a Republican thinks.

The Senate + voter-self sorting really are the main cause of most of our stupid bullshit in America. If we actually did what the majority actually wanted we'd have a pretty decently progressive country.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Not a Step posted:

They can and should investigate for the history books, but Trump is going to end his term in office regardless of what Mueller digs up, and most Americans barely care when their material life continues to get worse with every passing year.

They care a lot, they just find a source to tell them that the blame lies with "brown people"

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Lumpy posted:

I don't think Trump hates Latinos as much as he LOVES the cheers he gets when he talks about hating them at his rallies. Miller, on the other hand really loving hates them, and translates those cheers into easy policy steering for our idiot president.
You may be right, but i don't think it makes a huge difference at the end of the day

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Lightning Knight posted:

I uh, certainly hope not. :stare:

I don't think she modeled per se, but literally the worst thing about Hillary is her friendship with Kissinger and she probably at least sought his advice

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Not a Step posted:

I am open to better candidates. Bernie is old and has some shameful right wing opinions and defers to decorum frequently. I would hold my nose and vote for the shameful slightly left of center Sanders, but I would prefer an actual leftist candidate.

The #1 sign of good posting is, of course, taking about yourself

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Tatsuta Age posted:

aside from donnelly not losing.. how? kemp was gonna steal georgia either way, and florida is still up in the air. what else could you have wanted?

McCaskill, Bredesen, Beto

The Senate definitely could have gone better. But the fact that i was at one point worried we'd hit R+5 and we look like we're going to see R+2, maybe +1 is really nice.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

OAquinas posted:

A year ago, if you told someone here that "The 2018 Senate class will go R+2" most people would go "That's a really good showing for dems!" because the map was just that loving awful.

2 years ago you'd probably be dismissed as being overly optimistic.

Well, i was more hopeful because a year ago Trump's favorables were in the 30s and trending down

But yeah

Also, Beto was within 2 points, that's insane

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc
Have we talked about the thing I'm seeing on CNN where North Korea hasn't stopped their nuclear program

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

in other news, the sun also set recently.

I'm not surprised, but i didn't think we'd see hard evidence this early

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

FilthyImp posted:

Aw gently caress me the Senate reconciliation bill poo poo is gonna suck this time.

That's assuming they don't use it before the new people are seated

I was honestly expecting them to, and I'm very surprised we haven't heard anything about it

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Lemming posted:

Didn't they do some fuckery and already use up all the ones they had access to already? I thought that was part of why they didn't take another shot at repealing Obamacare, they needed that for the tax bill

They used the second one really, really quick after the first one failed - they used one, let one expire.

It really can't be expressed what a colossal self own the first reconciliation bill was. They could have easily done the tax cuts first and spent this whole year doing something else

Rigel posted:

This was never a serious threat to consider. The timeline needed to pass a reconciliation just takes way too long.

I thought you could do it in a month or so. It's been available since October 1st.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

thefncrow posted:

They don't get to. I was worried about that myself and looked it up. They bailed on passing a budget this year, which is the key. If you want to write a reconciliation bill, you have to provide instructions in the budget about what the bill should be about. No budget, no reconciliation instructions, no reconciliation bill.

Their incompetence is staggering

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

BonoMan posted:

This has probably been posted, but holy poo poo the Governor of Mississippi is trotting out abortion as "black genocide" in defense of Cyndi Hyde-Smith's "public hanging" comments.

loving what?

http://www.jacksonfreepress.com/news/2018/nov/12/governor-calls-abortion-black-genocide-defends-hyd/

It's a pretty old argument

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

axelord posted:

Someone has to call the cops they don't show up like magic.

You think the cops won't show up to a 200 person protest

Ok